Latest news:

The COML Message Board

The place for discussion, debate and nonsense about Bath Rugby.

Join our new Facebook Group today!

New visitors please read the house rules before posting

Test your prognostications at our Prediction League

Euro Cups - W/E 14th Dec
Discussion started by shipwrecked (IP Logged), 14 December, 2019 18:26
MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked
14 December, 2019 18:26
Quite amused by the Saracens Munster game this afternoon. Game was trundling along in boring fashion heading for a 6-6 no try draw when at a line-out the Munster doctor called out Jamie George for 'being tubby' all hell broke loose with George trying to get to the Munster medic and the rest of the Munster team protecting him.

Five minutes later the game restarted and a fired up Saracens went on to score 2 short range tries.

P.S. I dobt he used the words "being tubby" had a good giggle for a while after!

Brilliant finish to the Glaws v Connaught game as well.

https://i.ibb.co/Fz0bC3q/Unknown-1.jpg

Beno Obano Age 25 years, Loosehead prop, 5ft 8ins 18st 12lbs 'Mauls are like Transformers' they change form to become more powerful!

BathMatt53
BathMatt53
14 December, 2019 21:48
The Premiership teams are looking a country mile behind the French and Irish this season tbh. Leinster were awesome. The weakest showing for a long while From the English (Sarries aside, but are they taking every game as seriously as they may otherwise do?)

[Adoptee 19 / 20: The High ball and counter attack meister, Tom Homer]

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked
14 December, 2019 22:06
Quote:
BathMatt53
The Premiership teams are looking a country mile behind the French and Irish this season tbh. Leinster were awesome. The weakest showing for a long while From the English (Sarries aside, but are they taking every game as seriously as they may otherwise do?)

Leinster were devastating, everything at pace Garry Ringrose, wonder if he is cloneable?

Beno Obano Age 25 years, Loosehead prop, 5ft 8ins 18st 12lbs 'Mauls are like Transformers' they change form to become more powerful!

MESSAGES->author
joethefanatic
14 December, 2019 23:29
Quote:
shipwrecked
Quote:
BathMatt53

Leinster were devastating, everything at pace Garry Ringrose, wonder if he is cloneable?

It has to be said that the Welsh ref seemed utterly unable to see any infringements from a player in blue. Offside, blocking, off their feet? Nope, none of that. Astonishingly poor display.

... IMHO, of course.

Now in Honolulu

BathMatt53
BathMatt53
14 December, 2019 23:43
Yes there were some odd decisions - not that it would have changed the result.

MESSAGES->author
joethefanatic
14 December, 2019 23:45
Toulouse v Montpellier, now, that is a *fabulous* game of rugby. Plus Flats on commentary. And Khhaaaaarrrrnnn at 9 for Montpellier.

... IMHO, of course.

Now in Honolulu

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/12/2019 23:52 by joethefanatic.

ballsout
ballsout
14 December, 2019 23:48
Bristol beat Stade Francais away. Great result for them. Was just watching their changing room song. Think we’re the only club without one.

dr.bath1865
dr.bath1865
15 December, 2019 08:41
Stade bottom of Top14. Bristol won with a last minute try, so before anyone gets too excited it wasn’t their finest performance.

bo- could you list all other clubs’ changing room songs please?

22Dropout
22Dropout
15 December, 2019 08:49
BathMatt53

Not sure Rob Baxter would agree Matt?

BathMatt53
BathMatt53
15 December, 2019 09:01
Quote:
22Dropout
BathMatt53

Not sure Rob Baxter would agree Matt?

Ah yes, forgot about those guys! Interested to see how they would get on against Leinster yesterday.

Barnoid
Barnoid
15 December, 2019 14:36
Absolute scenes down at Exeter where the players had to be taken off after 62 minutes due to a hail storm.

Bunch of wimps!

Old Bath Tub
Old Bath Tub
15 December, 2019 17:41
Quote:
BathMatt53

Will this competition ever be played on a level field ? (Sm56)

Adopted Player 2018/19 Ross Batty
Adopted Player 2019/20 Jack Davies

"AN OUNCE OF ACTION IS WORTH A TON OF THEORY"
FRIEDRICH ENGELS

BathMatt53
BathMatt53
15 December, 2019 18:20
Nope. Not unless CVC take over the Rest of the euro comps and set a cap for everyone at least.

MESSAGES->author
joethefanatic
15 December, 2019 18:27
Quote:
BathMatt53
Nope. Not unless CVC take over the Rest of the euro comps and set a cap for everyone at least.

Paul Grayson on the commentary for the Glaws v Connaught game delicately alluded to the fact that the only way for the English clubs to compete both at home and in Europe under the English salary cap was to cheat. Glaws made 9 changes to their starting 15 against Connaught and it showed. Saints made 12, as far as I could tell, against Leinster and that showed as well.

... IMHO, of course.

Now in Honolulu

The Bard
The Bard
15 December, 2019 18:35
It’s not great when most of the English teams have given up after 3,rounds and picking weak teams even at home.
Of course you can blame lack of salary caps and central contracts, but should Quins and Glos really be losing to Ulster and Connaught? Wasps lost at home to Edinburgh and Leicester struggled to beat a semi pro Italian team.
Poor mindset, poor skills and poor coaching play a much bigger part than most English teams would care to admit.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53
15 December, 2019 18:48
The quality in the prem has been very poor this year - RUW podcast put it down to RWC hangover but I’m not sure about that.

B4thB4ck
B4thB4ck
15 December, 2019 19:20
Quote:
joethefanatic
Quote:
shipwrecked
Quote:
BathMatt53

It has to be said that the Welsh ref seemed utterly unable to see any infringements from a player in blue. Offside, blocking, off their feet? Nope, none of that. Astonishingly poor display.

I watched most of it without commentary which is always interesting and a healthy thing to do and had to prop my jaw up at some moments, glad to see that it wasn't just me thinking that. The Saints players looked very frustrated.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked
15 December, 2019 19:24
Quote:
BathMatt53
The quality in the prem has been very poor this year - RUW podcast put it down to RWC hangover but I’m not sure about that.

That's an excuse that runs alongside the Lions tests so what are we saying 2 out of 4 years are only viable?

The lack of the cap in France has a direct effect on Bath's present situation. The only way we can bring in a 10 is to find one that is, available and that is better then most in the Prem but not top class or they go to France.

The other factor of course that allows Italian and Irish sides to beat those in the Prem is the number of games those sides play in. As far as I can see the playing field for English clubs will always be an uphill incline until those issues are addressed,

BathMatt53
BathMatt53
15 December, 2019 19:29
We have a marquee slot so money shouldn’t be an object for a new 10?

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked
15 December, 2019 19:40
Quote:
BathMatt53
We have a marquee slot so money shouldn’t be an object for a new 10?

But even if that is the case they aren't available Matt they go where the money is, Finn Russell, Handré Pollard, Aaron Cruden all linked to us but ending up in France.

ballsout
ballsout
15 December, 2019 20:09
Quote:
dr.bath1865

You can ridicule all you want, but try and see the point I'm trying to make. There's no team spirit. There's no culture.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53
15 December, 2019 20:28
How would you know that there is no team spirit? Just spleen venting.

ballsout
ballsout
15 December, 2019 21:44
Quote:
BathMatt53
How would you know that there is no team spirit? Just spleen venting.

Because I speak to people who tell me. The same ones who told me that Matson didn't leave the club for family reasons, corroborated by two or three others on here a while later. You can cover your ears and make the same old excuses we've all been making for a decade, but it's the truth.

OBinFiji
OBinFiji
16 December, 2019 07:18
This Matson stuff is pretty weird though.
He left Bath allegedly because of interference from above - is that what you claim BO?
Yet he was happy to work as assistant to John McKee at Fiji? Thats hardly a position where interference from above (and there I mean seriously above - if Ben Ryan is to be believed) is unlikely to happen? He will have been no more protected from 'above' by Todd as by John, surely?

Or have I misunderstood?

OBinFiiji

ballsout
ballsout
16 December, 2019 07:59
I can't speak to his involvement with Fiji, but given he was coaching the country of his birth (for a year), I imagine he was happy to take a bit of a step back.

cookiecrumble
cookiecrumble
16 December, 2019 08:29
Quote:
dr.bath1865
Stade bottom of Top14. Bristol won with a last minute try, so before anyone gets too excited it wasn’t their finest performance.

A friend of my was an avid Stade fan. He would drive to Paris from Kent every week for their games. He has a house in France now, and is full on Francophile. He went to Bristol uni so I texted him to ask if he’d be going to the game this weekend and he replied that he doesn’t follow Stade anymore as he is sad at the team they have become and how some of the players (such as Parisse) were treated. Pretty serious stuff as, like I say, he was an avid fan and knew the club inside out. He now follows the local D2 club.

In short - Bristol beating Stade probably isn’t the upset as what it would have been a few seasons back.

MESSAGES->author
shendy
16 December, 2019 12:49
Quote:
cookiecrumble
In short - Bristol beating Stade probably isn’t the upset as what it would have been a few seasons back.

Bristol 17 Stade 0, November 2007
[www.theguardian.com]
That game was remarkable for two things - the result and the skin-tight training tops that Stade wore - I've never heard a crowd openly laugh when the opposition come out to warm up.
[www.shendy.co.uk]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net