Latest news:

The COML Message Board

The place for discussion, debate and nonsense about Bath Rugby.

Join our new Facebook Group today!

New visitors please read the house rules before posting

Test your prognostications at our Prediction League

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
SHOWDOWN ON SEVERN: GLOUCESTER v BATH. TEAM NOW UP!
Discussion started by Comeonmylovers.co.uk (IP Logged), 02 January, 2020 13:44
Comeonmylovers.co.uk
Comeonmylovers.co.uk
02 January, 2020 13:44
What do you think? You can have your say by posting below.
If you do not already have an account Click here to Register.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2020 18:17 by P G Tips.

MESSAGES->author
woodpecker
02 January, 2020 14:21
My first match of the season, going with a bunch of Glos fans, fingers crossed!

bardofavon
bardofavon
02 January, 2020 15:18
dear pg tips
why dont you hold these weekly match previews back 24 hours, then you would be able to know what the two teams are with certainty. that then may help you to make a more accurate assessment.

P G Tips
P G Tips
02 January, 2020 15:24
bardofavon

I usually post at least 3 days ahead to give readers anticipation of the fixture. Also I am not always available to spend the time writing the piece on the day of team announcement.

If your reference to "a more accurate assessment." refers to the teamsheet, that is one thing - but not the whole point of the article. If you refer to the analysis of the likely match play and outcome, that of course is open to opinion.

PG

MESSAGES->author
woodpecker
02 January, 2020 15:34
Quote:
P G Tips
bardofavon
I usually post at least 3 days ahead to give readers anticipation of the fixture. Also I am not always available to spend the time writing the piece on the day of team announcement.

If your reference to "a more accurate assessment." refers to the teamsheet, that is one thing - but not the whole point of the article. If you refer to the analysis of the likely match play and outcome, that of course is open to opinion.

PG

If you did it after it would be amazingly accurate

Old Bath Tub
Old Bath Tub
02 January, 2020 15:40
Sir for Glaws - Tom Foley 72nd Premiership game. Good , fair or grim ? (Sm102)

Adopted Player 2018/19 Ross Batty
Adopted Player 2019/20 Jack Davies

"AN OUNCE OF ACTION IS WORTH A TON OF THEORY"
FRIEDRICH ENGELS

P G Tips
P G Tips
02 January, 2020 15:47
He did Bath no favours at Ashton Gate!

P G Tips

Levi Davis: my adopted Player, 2019-20.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53
02 January, 2020 15:50
All the refs are good quality these days, don’t really care which one we have tbh.

Good review PGT, whetted my appetite nicely and I also enjoy the pre announcement speculation.

[Adoptee 19 / 20: The High ball and counter attack meister, Tom Homer]

B4thB4ck
B4thB4ck
02 January, 2020 15:56
Not many weaknesses in the suggested Bath team if all are fit. Maybe the bench front row is looking a bit undercooked but compared to earlier in the season we have a stronger lineup.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53
02 January, 2020 16:05
I’m surprised Levi Douglas hasn’t been on the bench instead of Garvey to cover 2nd row and 6...brings a bit more mobility and aggression IMO. Would like to see him appear in this game given the venue.

MESSAGES->author
Clarkey3k
02 January, 2020 17:33
I would be happy with a LBP or two on Saturday tbh and a return of 10/11 pts from this block of three games would be great given our form prior to the LI/Sale fixtures. I hope we give it a good go...

Adopted players: 2019/20 T Faletau; [19] M V Vuuren; [18] T Faletau; [17] D Denton; [16] H. Agulla; [15] L Houston; [14] W Spencer; [13] F. Louw

Family . Community . Nation - [sdp.org.uk]

gaz59
gaz59
02 January, 2020 18:23
Can only see Glaws being on top at scrum so we had better win the breakdown battles with Rhys to continue with the boom clearances and keep his current goal kicking form but their bench, especially with Simpson looks stronger [assuming that is what takes the field] so yes would be happy with lbp

Great review PGT

BathMatt53
BathMatt53
02 January, 2020 18:54
Glos have had dodgy scrum (Albeit against Sarries) and lineout (albeit against Toulouse) performances this year, with RR and Morgan etc out I can’t see why it would necessarily be better than the Bath scrum?

Gloucester will obviously be favourites at home but it’s their backs that I am most concerned about as they are scoring for fun at the moment (but also conceding).

Saint dolph
Saint dolph
03 January, 2020 00:27
I think bath will have the upper hand in the scrum . You guys destroyed our scrum (saints fan) and I felt we edged Gloucester

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer
03 January, 2020 01:18
I feel we played at our highest level against Sale & just edged a win at home. I will be happy with a hard fought bonus point at Gloucester. We can we it but I feel a lot will have to go our way for it to happen

opti
Optimist
03 January, 2020 08:12
Our 3 x home wins this season have been like ‘away’ wins by a good side - gritty but limited, chiselled out and clung on to - based on a big pack, a kicking 10 and fierce defence. Our 3 x away games have been much looser. On that record it’s hard to see a win, but .... the confidence should be coming back and the teamsheet should look pretty spectacular on paper. It’s yet another crossroads and yet another completely unpredictable game. Could be anything from 10-12 to 35-25. Gawd knows but will be extremely compelling watching.

warrenball
warrenball
03 January, 2020 08:55
Weather will play a part in it, if it is wet and windy that must favour us, I think we would have far more trouble trying to take them on in dry, quiet conditions, but whatever the weather it will be a good result if we get anything out of this game.

Bath Supporter Jack
Bath Supporter Jack
03 January, 2020 09:13
I am daring to hope(Sm124)

It is games like this away from home that will define this team/squad

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer
03 January, 2020 09:45
Quote:
Optimist
Our 3 x home wins this season have been like ‘away’ wins by a good side - gritty but limited, chiselled out and clung on to - based on a big pack, a kicking 10 and fierce defence. Our 3 x away games have been much looser.

Spot on Optimist.

dr.bath1865
dr.bath1865
03 January, 2020 10:28
I’ve no idea what will happen, but I hope we go all out with our team selection and then rotate next week in Europe.

On paper, our XXIII should look pretty awesome, given the return to fitness and form of our big names. A back row of SU, FL and TF and a back 3 of AW, SR/RMc, TH should challenge whoever we play.

We’ve also done well at Glos in the past few years. We should’ve won last season, having completely dominated the first half, and we hammered them there the year before. Yes, they’re a better side now but they’ve likely got a couple more injuries than us and haven’t been firing recently. I just hope Cipriani has one of his quiet days and we get on top at the set piece.

It’ll be close but I’m cautiously optimistic.

opti
Optimist
03 January, 2020 10:46
I'm starting to think that McConnochie has benefited somewhat by being quicker to adapt to 15s than was expected. When you're expected to be 'talented but raw' and you turn out to be 'pretty good actually', then the impression is that you're 'outstanding' when in fact you're 'pretty good actually'. In the end, his World Cup selection has done him no favours at all. Certainly hope to have those words stuffed down my throat, but I wouldn't pick him ahead of Homer or Roko ... for Bath or for England.

P G Tips
P G Tips
03 January, 2020 12:03
Team up:

BATH RUGBY SIDE TO FACE GLOUCESTER RUGBY:

15. Tom Homer

14. Semesa Rokoduguni

13. Jonathan Joseph

12. Jamie Roberts

11. Anthony Watson

10. Rhys Priestland

9. Chris Cook

1. Beno Obano

2. Tom Dunn

3. Will Stuart

4. Josh McNally

5. Elliott Stooke

6. Francois Louw (C)

7. Sam Underhill

8. Taulupe Faletau

Replacements

16. Jack Walker, 17. Lewis Boyce, 18. Christian Judge, 19. Mike Williams, 20. Tom Ellis, 21. Ollie Fox, 22. Freddie Burns, 23. Aled Brew

P G Tips

Levi Davis: my adopted Player, 2019-20.

opti
Optimist
03 January, 2020 12:05
And Glos:

Gloucester Rugby:

Jason Woodward; 14. Tom Marshall, 13. Chris Harris, 12. Billy Twelvetrees, 11. Ollie Thorley; 10. Danny Cipriani, 9. Willi Heinz (capt); 1. Josh Hohneck, 2. Franco Marais, 3. Fraser Balmain; 4. Alex Craig, 5. Franco Mostert; 6. Freddie Clarke, 7. Jake Polledri, 8. Ruan Ackermann

Replacements:

Todd Gleave, 17. Alex Seville, 18. Ciaran Knight, 19. Gerbrandt Grobler, 20. Lewis Ludlow, 21. Joe Simpson, 22. Owen Williams, 23. Louis Rees-Zammit

MESSAGES->author
hasta
03 January, 2020 12:10
ARE YOU READY FOR FALLOUWHILL?!

Beergoggles
Beergoggles
03 January, 2020 12:25
Fess up, who broke Chudleigh ? Pretty much our stongest side otherwise.

Bath by 2, looking forward to a day out in beautiful Gloucester.

JFPC
JFPC
03 January, 2020 12:25
Quote:
hasta

I think we've all been ready for about two years!

Adopted player 2019/20 Will Chudley.

fat lock
fat lock
03 January, 2020 12:27
Like the look of that.

How often have we had the dream back row playing together?
Big game for Ollie Fox

Rokobilly
Rokobilly
03 January, 2020 12:29
That's about as strong a team as we have put out in last 3 years. We have a good record up the road too. Team should travel with confidence. Bath by 8.

noidea
noidea
03 January, 2020 12:33
Quote:
hasta
Very excited actually

Susanne
Susanne
03 January, 2020 12:34
Quote:
hasta

Most definitely - almost sorry not to be going, that's going to be tasty smiling smiley

warrenball
warrenball
03 January, 2020 12:50
Also a very strong team put out by Glos, will be difficult stopping their back line . Not confident, just hopeful.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53
03 January, 2020 12:54
As good as team for Bath that I have seen in a long while. Some notable omissions for Glos through injury or rotation. Zammit (on bench), Banners, RR, Morgan and the big one for me, Atkinson who has been excellent this year.

The back row battle is going to be mouth watering.

COYB!!

B4thB4ck
B4thB4ck
03 January, 2020 13:37
Happy with our team, a glance at Shedweb suggests they recognise our dream back row should have an edge.

If I was playing for Glos (horror) I would look to target Cook with a view to getting Fox on early. A chance Freddie might try too hard if he comes on. Can't see any other weakness on paper, keeping our heads straight with all that eyeoor rubbish will be key, but we should have enough experience to deal with that.

Glos fans think their bench front row is also a bit lightweight so that matches ours probably.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53
03 January, 2020 13:43
Not being 20+ to nil down after the first quarter would be an improvement on last years start at least.

MESSAGES->author
woodpecker
03 January, 2020 13:48
A truly world class backrow. £10 on at 15/8.

MESSAGES->author
Clarkey3k
03 January, 2020 15:29
I have seen Ollie Fox play this season and was well impressed with him. If he does get some game time tomorrow he won't let us down and if he and FB have to conjure a score to win it in the last 5-10 mins I can see it happening. Heart says Bath, head says Glaws but only a score in it so could go either way. It's gonna be tasty...

Adopted players: 2019/20 T Faletau; [19] M V Vuuren; [18] T Faletau; [17] D Denton; [16] H. Agulla; [15] L Houston; [14] W Spencer; [13] F. Louw

Family . Community . Nation - [sdp.org.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2020 21:50 by Clarkey3k.

gaz59
gaz59
03 January, 2020 16:30
Is there a classier back row in NH club rugby? Leinster inevitably but any other club with one as good as ours starting out against Glaws?

John Tee
John Tee
03 January, 2020 16:39
Looking forward to this.
Glaws have a good defence and the back row looks good carrying the ball.
Line out had a few wobbles but was soiid last game.
I think this will come down to the last 20 whereby Glaws can unleash Louis RZ and Simpson so you dont need tired legs then.

Bath can have a lot of confidence as that back row and backline looks very good. Good to see Watson wasn't long term injured a few weeks back.

Parity up front...??

Glaws to miss Atkinson and playmaker but 36 is good there too and can kick.

If Cips get ball, their backs can score from anywhere anytime.
Woodward and Thorley back and Harris is hitting his straps

Bath have two jackals that Glaws need to deal with, for sure.

Could be a potentially great game if the weather is kind...

B4thB4ck
B4thB4ck
03 January, 2020 17:53
As mentioned on many threads, no 10 looks good on the back foot. If our back row can get on top it will pull in support to the Glos side of the rucks that would otherwise be passing options for Cipriani. If he starts kicking we have class backs to counter attack.

dannyf2
dannyf2
03 January, 2020 20:04
No opposition wouldn't sit up and take notice of that team sheet - especially on a run of a couple of good wins. The physicality to come off the bench is formidable too. I say we go to beat them up - not the usual mindset before Gloucester. Bath by 8

gaz59
gaz59
03 January, 2020 21:43
Will Underhill be less of a jackal and under direction to nail Cipriani, first time and every time? Leave the jackaling to Louw

Cut Cipriani down and he will either get petulant and do something stupid and/or try the miracle pass and that will open opportunities on the counter attack

Whatever, you look at those two line ups and BT have pulled a new year's cracker

Steve_M
Steve_M
04 January, 2020 05:16
Quote:
BathMatt53
Gloucester will obviously be favourites at home but it’s their backs that I am most concerned about as they are scoring for fun at the moment (but also conceding).

Gloucs scored 21 tries, conceded 9; the best record in the league so far. If Bath are to win this it will be behind a dominant pack. Gloucs have 5 front rowers out and three young lads to come on as replacements later in the game.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53
04 January, 2020 07:57
Quote:
Steve_M
Quote:
BathMatt53

Gloucs scored 21 tries, conceded 9; the best record in the league so far. If Bath are to win this it will be behind a dominant pack. Gloucs have 5 front rowers out and three young lads to come on as replacements later in the game.

I think that those stats (whilst obvs true) are a bit skewed by them having played Tigers, the weakest Sarries etc. in the league during the RWC and then a very poor Worcs. They have conceded quite a few in the last couple of months against Connaught, Quins, Montp and of course last week at Saints. Their ability to score tries is pretty consistent irrespective of the opponent mind you, I think that Bath will need to score over 25 (possibly over 30 at Kingsholm) to win.

Montyuk
Montyuk
04 January, 2020 15:42
Cagey first half... 7-9

Adopted player 2019/20: Tom Ellis

Mike the Taxi
Mike the Taxi
04 January, 2020 15:44
HT

A couple of pantomime moments from DC and RP in failing to find touch!!

B4thB4ck
B4thB4ck
04 January, 2020 15:52
Watching without commentary, looked like the Mostert high swinging arm should have been a yellow card?

Bath look better with structured play, Glos look better on the break.

MESSAGES->author
CoochieCoo
04 January, 2020 15:53
67% possession 71% territory. We should be miles ahead! #coyb

https://pbflaa.by.files.1drv.com/y4mToRbTHGUTg0zWMi8LNeOlOmx4tZHsH3crYbASv0X_qWBw8j30S9KV-RiZIf_AWoOZXD7D3Rjy1tYRAKXykpZSHuOObVQBiovPpB6PnDUuBM6xlx2F1yOjKpEBmWUfMru3SCm255j3p-CnndC7J9ZUG29r1BtfFWHHj-MdzDOpzBuTRTPqNaco8ctf1svZyW0?width=106&height=160&cropmode=none
https://pbfkaa.by.files.1drv.com/y4mhxY1k8zrLn92LwcIYgSd1KcA6zBGX-Wgw2dNz8Us0xA71EhjMmL2tc-ggx7OlsBDECw8eAZ_oAWnNyh5doimzOEics5H87cuh5Q-Sb-ViPD6Pt6QUBneu5F2tlWLltGQZ8pd5qFmsZwbKB39L5Dki21gJfnsiaxLiCiuWPCZUjkXp4EttajzFAgcCl6YuDDF?width=160&height=107&cropmode=none

MESSAGES->author
CoochieCoo
04 January, 2020 15:54
Quote:
B4thB4ck
Watching without commentary, looked like the Mostert high swinging arm should have been a yellow card?
Bath look better with structured play, Glos look better on the break.

Austin said it was harsh!

https://pbflaa.by.files.1drv.com/y4mToRbTHGUTg0zWMi8LNeOlOmx4tZHsH3crYbASv0X_qWBw8j30S9KV-RiZIf_AWoOZXD7D3Rjy1tYRAKXykpZSHuOObVQBiovPpB6PnDUuBM6xlx2F1yOjKpEBmWUfMru3SCm255j3p-CnndC7J9ZUG29r1BtfFWHHj-MdzDOpzBuTRTPqNaco8ctf1svZyW0?width=106&height=160&cropmode=none
https://pbfkaa.by.files.1drv.com/y4mhxY1k8zrLn92LwcIYgSd1KcA6zBGX-Wgw2dNz8Us0xA71EhjMmL2tc-ggx7OlsBDECw8eAZ_oAWnNyh5doimzOEics5H87cuh5Q-Sb-ViPD6Pt6QUBneu5F2tlWLltGQZ8pd5qFmsZwbKB39L5Dki21gJfnsiaxLiCiuWPCZUjkXp4EttajzFAgcCl6YuDDF?width=160&height=107&cropmode=none

MESSAGES->author
Toast and Marmite
04 January, 2020 15:57
Feels like Bath just need to keep doing what they are doing. Glos seem to be relying on a moment of genius, not beyond them tbf

"No sprinkles. For every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you."

BathMatt53
BathMatt53
04 January, 2020 16:02
Some of Cooks long passes have been awful - putting the back line under real pressure. Glos have no right to be ahead in this game bar poor Bath execution.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/2020 16:04 by BathMatt53.

MESSAGES->author
Toast and Marmite
04 January, 2020 16:05
FFS Glos score due to compound errors from Bath. All stemming from an attavking move that had obviously broken down

Mike the Taxi
Mike the Taxi
04 January, 2020 16:08
At least DC doesn't have his kicking boots, and RP levels scores with a penaalty

BathMatt53
BathMatt53
04 January, 2020 16:13
Execution by both teams is terrible tbh.

Montyuk
Montyuk
04 January, 2020 16:17
Oh dear...

Old Bath Tub
Old Bath Tub
04 January, 2020 16:18
Quote:
Toast and Marmite
FFS Glos score due to compound errors from Bath. All stemming from an attavking move that had obviously broken down

And again !,,

FRIEDRICH ENGELS

MESSAGES->author
Toast and Marmite
04 January, 2020 16:20
Ridiculous how often we shoot ourselves in the foot. Must be about 7 or 8 really dozy penalties that just hand Glos the initiative

MESSAGES->author
Toast and Marmite
04 January, 2020 16:22
Why on earth have Bath just given up?

Old Bath Tub
Old Bath Tub
04 January, 2020 16:23
Quote:
Montyuk
Oh dear...
And Again !

FRIEDRICH ENGELS

MESSAGES->author
hasta
04 January, 2020 16:24
This is so infuriating

supermarinematt
supermarinematt
04 January, 2020 16:25
Well, that's game over. Our defence is porous, it's not very good at all. With that we can't score tries either ... It's poor. Having lots of ball is nice, but we are doing nothing with it other than coughing it up

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath
04 January, 2020 16:28
Normal service has been resumed.... (Sm19)

MESSAGES->author
Toast and Marmite
04 January, 2020 16:32
Quote:
supermarinematt
Well, that's game over. Our defence is porous, it's not very good at all. With that we can't score tries either ... It's poor. Having lots of ball is nice, but we are doing nothing with it other than coughing it up
We are playing some good stuff, but we’re not earning the right to go wide. Also obvious that Chudley is a significant step up from Cook which only becomes obvious over the 80 minutes.

Old Bath Tub
Old Bath Tub
04 January, 2020 16:34
Back to the drawing board then !
Cracking team on paper .........but ? (Sm26)

FRIEDRICH ENGELS

MESSAGES->author
hasta
04 January, 2020 16:35
Why play a power game when you have no ball carriers?

opti
Optimist
04 January, 2020 16:35
Who predicted that Polledri would be the best back tower on the pitch!

opti
Optimist
04 January, 2020 16:38
We could play for a month here and never look like scoring.

ken_jnr
ken_jnr
04 January, 2020 16:39
I like to think I am fair however Bath play. With that in mind we have been rubbish today. We have had easily enough firepower to win but had come up well short.

Old Bath Tub
Old Bath Tub
04 January, 2020 16:40
Quote:
hasta
Why play a power game when you have no ball carriers?

Isn’t our no 8 one of these ?

FRIEDRICH ENGELS

MESSAGES->author
Toast and Marmite
04 January, 2020 16:43
My biggest concern is how the heads seemed to drop when Glos took the lead. It was only 4 points at that stage but you’d have though it was a mountain. Immediately started falling off tackles and giving away easy metres. Really very concerning

MESSAGES->author
hasta
Theoretically

supermarinematt
supermarinematt
Quote:
Toast and Marmite
Quote:
supermarinematt
We are playing some good stuff, but we’re not earning the right to go wide. Also obvious that Chudley is a significant step up from Cook which only becomes obvious over the 80 minutes.

Cook is a terrible 9. Too slow, doesn't see the field in front of him and the options, kicks poorly and makes poor decisions. That said he wasn't really the full problem today, our second half was school boy rugby

Old Bath Tub
Old Bath Tub
04 January, 2020 16:44
Hoops currently thinking very hard about the reasons for failure again, won’t be anything new just the same old rap (Sm100)

FRIEDRICH ENGELS

MESSAGES->author
hasta
04 January, 2020 16:46
Same total inability to take advantage of opportunities.

MESSAGES->author
hasta
04 January, 2020 16:47
Walker is a liability at the lineout.

DorsetBoy
Dorset Boy
04 January, 2020 16:49
Had enough possession and territory to win that, but some very poor tackling in the second half, and if you don't convert that possession....

At one stage they showed each side had visited the oppos 22m 5 times. Gloucs had 26 points from their visits, Bath zilch.

Key lineouts lost deep in the 22.
Second Gloucs try came from a very crocked throw, not picked up, and that followed JJ being called back - 14 point swing.

Can't complain with the result - 4 tries to zip says it all.

Steve_M
Steve_M
04 January, 2020 16:49
Quote:
BathMatt53
Quote:
Steve_M
Quote:
BathMatt53

I think that those stats (whilst obvs true) are a bit skewed by them having played Tigers, the weakest Sarries etc. in the league during the RWC and then a very poor Worcs. They have conceded quite a few in the last couple of months against Connaught, Quins, Montp and of course last week at Saints. Their ability to score tries is pretty consistent irrespective of the opponent mind you, I think that Bath will need to score over 25 (possibly over 30 at Kingsholm) to win.

25 tries to 9 now Matt ?

dannyf2
dannyf2
04 January, 2020 16:50
What the fudge was that? 70% possession and territory in the 1st half, plus a boat load of penalties.
That isn't the coaching - the players were absolutely pathetic today.

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer
04 January, 2020 16:52
Quote:
Old Bath Tub
Hoops currently thinking very hard about the reasons for failure again, won’t be anything new just the same old rap (Sm100)

What do you expect him to do. He has no magic wand. I haven’t watched the 2nd half but based on the first half I thought there was going to be only one winner so they were playing well at that stage. It is so disappointing because that was a very under strength Gloucester team. How did it slip away?

MESSAGES->author
Toast and Marmite
04 January, 2020 16:53
What does our brilliant backs coach actually do for his pay?

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath
04 January, 2020 16:54
Quote:
dannyf2

With better coaching the players would play better.

4 tries to none and not even a LBP says it all.

supermarinematt
supermarinematt
04 January, 2020 16:55
Quote:
dannyf2
What the fudge was that? 70% possession and territory in the 1st half, plus a boat load of penalties.

It was poor handling and mistakes at key moments yet again. The cook knock on at the base infront of the posts, the missed kick to the 5m and kicking it dead, going into contact and repeatedly getting the ball stripped, stepping up in defence when short and leaving huge holes .... As for the second half, less said the better

MESSAGES->author
Rawce
04 January, 2020 16:56
Who ate all our tries, who ate all our tries? All the graft for possession/territory and nothing to show for it. I wonder why our attack has gotten worse than last year? When Glos got the ball, you felt lie something was going to happen, when we have the ball it’s time to take bets on how we cough it up and after how many phases.

Worse of all, a loss means ballsout will be delighted to be back on here groundhogging.

MESSAGES->author
Toast and Marmite
04 January, 2020 17:00
Starting to agree with the Blood and Mud podcast guys. Entire structure needs rebuilding from ground up. P

Rokobilly
Rokobilly
04 January, 2020 17:01
Grim second half. Tackling was soft. Line out cracked under pressure. When we did offload it went to a Glos player. Depressing viewing.

John Tee
John Tee
04 January, 2020 17:02
Bath did everything right in the first 30...pretty much cruising but not really threatening to score and the points were too close.

After a half time roasting Glaws were able to present a better 2nd half and Bath had to come up with too many answers ...and if Bath couldn't cross the line...Glaws could put some distance in thd game because they defintely can and did score tries.

A game of two halves and whilst the Glaws coaches could affect their teams performance, i didnt see that from Bath.
Cips having a pretty rubbish game because Bath targetted him and ends up running the show with BTT in the 2nd half.

Bath need another gear...and im not sure they have it in the backroom staff....or the players dont believe it...??

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/2020 17:05 by John Tee.

Old Bath Tub
Old Bath Tub
04 January, 2020 17:03
Quote:
Bath Hammer
Quote:
Old Bath Tub

What do you expect him to do. He has no magic wand. I haven’t watched the 2nd half but based on the first half I thought there was going to be only one winner so they were playing well at that stage. It is so disappointing because that was a very under strength Gloucester team. How did it slip away?
Naively I might for once expect him to give a strait forward statement about how poor we were and not the usual fluff, and I shouldn’t bother to watch the 2nd half it was beyond dire (Sm128)

FRIEDRICH ENGELS

dannyf2
dannyf2
04 January, 2020 17:03
I can't accept that at this level, players dropping passes, throwing balls over their team mates' head, falling off tackles, spilling in contact, dropping lineouts etc. is a coaching issue. These are BASIC skills that you would assume of any player being offered an academy opportunity, let alone being selected for the Bath first team. Not acceptable.

TomReagan
TomReagan
04 January, 2020 17:05
Spot on Rawce. Watched the first half but after such dominance without reward I pretty much knew the story of the second half and turned it off after 50 minutes to spare myself the inevitable frustration. Saw enough to know when Glos had the ball they were so much slicker and more direct. How can we be so slow, ponderous and inaccurate? Feeble!

MESSAGES->author
CoochieCoo
04 January, 2020 17:05
Our possession stats dropped to 47% in the second half but the very worrying stat is that we lost three line outs in the second half and I have a feeling two of them were from penalties and with good field position!

The dropping off of tackles is also worrying. How Woodward gained so many metres through 3/4 of our lads is a concern.

Kidney Stone
Kidney Stone
04 January, 2020 17:06
Second half collapse yet again, so disappointing.

Big call out for Will Stuart who must be ahead of HT as our no 1 THP.

Flo was huge also, the rest, pah!,

opti
Optimist
04 January, 2020 17:12
Without Dunn, Stuart and Louw we’d have been 20 down at half time. If the teams swapped 9, 10, 12 we’d have won by 30.

Priestland started well - he even put a runner into a hole rather than a brick wall on one occasion. But he got worse and worse. Cook was just ordinary throughout - though the knock-on, on closer inspection, wasn’t a knock-on. And the JJ try would have stood if it hadn’t been for the late tackle decision earlier in the match. The two events were miles apart. But we deserved nowt.

P G Tips
P G Tips
04 January, 2020 17:17
Yes -the worst aspect was our inability to score tries while dominant in most phases in the first half.

Poor defence and lost line outs certainly played their part, but Glos first 2 tries came from us losing ball on attack deep in their half. We should have had a couple of first half tries. I very much doubt if the collapse would have occurred had we been further ahead at half time.

Danny also makes a good point- some basic skills let us down under pressure - unacceptably so.

PG

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath
04 January, 2020 17:26
Walker's confidence must be shot to pieces, good time for Batty to come back.

P G Tips
P G Tips
04 January, 2020 17:32
Agree OB- in fact I thought he would be called in for this weekend. IMHO his experience would have been useful.

PG

Old Bath Tub
Old Bath Tub
04 January, 2020 17:46
We........

Sorry couldn’t think of anything else to say (Sm26)

FRIEDRICH ENGELS

annie blackthorn
annie blackthorn
04 January, 2020 18:23
Watching on box.

Ok for a bit and then second half - ………………………………………. (words fail me).
Just as well it was an 'away' match or there would have been a rush for the exit by Bath supporters 15 minutes before f/t.

Is the team being run by Committee again?

p.s. why is Cook still a Bath player He very narrowly escaped a yellow card today. Again.

sid the seagull
sid the seagull
04 January, 2020 18:38
Walker good experiment but not the right stuff, next.
We should have been 2 tries up at HT but TF needs couple of games then, boom. Hope too late for 6N.
Sadly Cook ditto Walker.
WS tremendous.
All in all we lost at Glos, annoying but not disaster.
Toast & M, don’t be silly.

HOP

The man on the Clapham omnibus
04 January, 2020 19:56
Given that Bath currently appear to be national champions at it this article possibly throws some light on what could engender such crippling collective "underperformance". Any thoughts?

[www.theguardian.com]

04 January, 2020 19:57
Sorry, already posted elsewhere I now see

Trawling
Trawling
04 January, 2020 20:09
The usual suspects are foaming at the mouth (BoB is still warming up somewhere). One cliche and two observations for me:
You have to take your chances when you are on top.
We had time to get a score for a losing bonus point and tried to score from 70 metres instead of playing territory.
In defence in the same period too many people tried to turn the ball over in the tackle or pull off the miracle interception instead of just stopping the player.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net