Latest news:

The COML Message Board

The place for discussion, debate and nonsense about Bath Rugby.

Join our new Facebook Group today!

New visitors please read the house rules before posting

Test your prognostications at our Prediction League

Sam staying along with Walker and Wright
Discussion started by Griff (IP Logged), 10 January, 2020 12:03
MESSAGES->author
Griff
10 January, 2020 12:03
Great news [www.bathrugby.com] good work from the club

"You're going to need a bigger boat"

Miles Reid Adopted Player 2019/20

BathMatt53
BathMatt53
10 January, 2020 12:15
Excellent news - and all 3 year contracts too! Looking forward to seeing them all develop further, congratulations to all three.

[Adoptee 19 / 20: The High ball and counter attack meister, Tom Homer]

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked
10 January, 2020 12:15
Great to see Sam is on board and for 3 years, the story questioning that just didn't fit!

https://i.ibb.co/Fz0bC3q/Unknown-1.jpg

Beno Obano Age 25 years, Loosehead prop, 5ft 8ins 18st 12lbs 'Mauls are like Transformers' they change form to become more powerful!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2020 12:39 by shipwrecked.

DorsetBoy
Dorset Boy
10 January, 2020 12:36
Great news, particularly Mr Underhill.

Old Bath Tub
Old Bath Tub
10 January, 2020 13:11
Great news indeed !
Nice to hear some Fantastic news as well like a star signing ! !(Sm128)

Adopted Player 2018/19 Ross Batty
Adopted Player 2019/20 Jack Davies

"AN OUNCE OF ACTION IS WORTH A TON OF THEORY"
FRIEDRICH ENGELS

bardofavon
bardofavon
10 January, 2020 13:25
i'm not sure i would have re-signed mr walker. he's been very disappointing for my money, especially given the reputation he arrived with.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53
10 January, 2020 13:45
Quote:
bardofavon
i'm not sure i would have re-signed mr walker. he's been very disappointing for my money, especially given the reputation he arrived with.

Still only 23 - loads of time to develop further.

Awp24975
Awp24975
10 January, 2020 13:55
Quote:
BathMatt53
Quote:
bardofavon

Still only 23 - loads of time to develop further.

I agree, we have three really good hookers and Jack potentially the best of the three. I am sure he will prove how good he is with time.

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath
10 January, 2020 14:06
Quote:
bardofavon

+1

Having a nightmare with his line out throws.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53
10 January, 2020 14:16
Quote:
OutsideBath
Quote:
bardofavon

+1

Having a nightmare with his line out throws.

The lineout went poorly in the first half away against Clermont, but lineouts aren't just about the hooker, besides anyone can have an off day just ask Cipriani about his conversion last week. Let's look forwards, not backwards!

Bathovalballer
Bathovalballer
10 January, 2020 14:17
Wonderful news, especially Sam. If he had gone that would not have been good all round for the club.

Now I hope Walker and Wright really kick on now their futures have been resolved. Walker has got to show more consistency as he has had enough experience and playing time now.

A real boost to Friday before tonight......

Adopted player 2019/20 Jonathan 'JJ' Joseph.

The Jink Joseph.

Adopted player 2018/19 Adopted player 2018/19 Semesa 'The Rock' Rokoduguni

opti
Optimist
10 January, 2020 14:29
I thought Walker put in some excellent performances earlier in the season. Couple of ordinary days lineout-wise more recently, but heíll come good. Excellent news.

DanWiley
DanWiley
10 January, 2020 14:32
I don't think you can read too much into Walker's play up til now. Indeed, I think his "problem" has been he came in with our expectations well exceeding what they should have been. I admit I've not seen a lot of his play prior to coming to us, but I'm not really sure how he got these expectations given the age he was?

P G Tips
P G Tips
10 January, 2020 14:56
He was in (& I think Captained) an U20 World Cup winning team.

He also captained Leeds at 19/20 - so highly thought of from a. young age. That can sometimes be a curse.

PG

DanWiley
DanWiley
10 January, 2020 15:16
It's turned into a bit of a curate's egg that age group though hasn't it? Or is it just too soon for most of them? That said, even with the best of age group, success at that level doesn't always translate.

That's not to say he's not promising, just that it was always going to take time and it doesn't always work out.

Anyway, I recall at the time thinking we were putting big expectations on his shoulders.

MESSAGES->author
hemington
10 January, 2020 15:24
Doesn't help when they are long term injured

B4thB4ck
B4thB4ck
10 January, 2020 15:27
Contract negotiations would add pressure on a player too, hopefully he can forget that now and focus on his game.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53
10 January, 2020 15:31
Quote:
DanWiley
It's turned into a bit of a curate's egg that age group though hasn't it? Or is it just too soon for most of them? That said, even with the best of age group, success at that level doesn't always translate.
That's not to say he's not promising, just that it was always going to take time and it doesn't always work out.

Anyway, I recall at the time thinking we were putting big expectations on his shoulders.

Agree. They basically need to be played (without running them into the ground obvs) and get that experience - this means making mistakes, but so be it. When a young player gets a chance and isn't perfect, people like us on this board will berate them like they are seasoned internationals. Some pragmatism is needed in relation to these kids and when it works clubs end up with the Itojes of this world, when it doesn't you get some of those who move down a level, like Rory Jennings.

Bath Born & Bred
Bath Born and Bred
10 January, 2020 17:01
Quote:
OutsideBath
An acquaintance told me he has reliable info that Underhill is leaving, but he refused to reveal even what type of source he had. Couldn't tell if he was just winding me up or not, but the fact there's no announcement of him extending would suggest some truth.

Hope you've put that acquaintance straight OB ;-)

TG Kesmo
TG Kesmo
10 January, 2020 17:39
Quote:
Bath Born and Bred
Quote:
OutsideBath
An acquaintance told me he has reliable info that Underhill is leaving, but he refused to reveal even what type of source he had. Couldn't tell if he was just winding me up or not, but the fact there's no announcement of him extending would suggest some truth.

Think you need to choose your rumour mongers more wisely OB. Current source is rubbish.

Kidney Stone
Kidney Stone
10 January, 2020 19:36
Really pleasing news.
Of course Sam is the big name but Wright has been really consistent and as others have said JW is WIP with real potential.

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath
11 January, 2020 08:35
Quote:
TG Kesmo
Quote:
Bath Born and Bred
Quote:
OutsideBath

Think you need to choose your rumour mongers more wisely OB. Current source is rubbish.

Yep will certainly hand out a little stick when I encounter him again. As I said on another thread, Iím probably a bit open to a wind up because he knows my strong views on the coaching mess at Bath.

Trawling
Trawling
13 January, 2020 15:56
Or maybe he just doesn't know as much as he or you think he does? Confirmation bias is a wonderful thing, eh?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 13/01/2020 15:57 by Trawling.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net