Latest news:

The COML Message Board

The place for discussion, debate and nonsense about Bath Rugby.

Join our new Facebook Group today!

New visitors please read the house rules before posting

Test your prognostications at our Prediction League

Max Green
Discussion started by CoochieCoo (IP Logged), 14 January, 2020 14:15
MESSAGES->author
CoochieCoo
14 January, 2020 14:15
Bath Rugby today confirm that Max Green suffered a fractured fibula during Friday’s Heineken Champions Cup fixture against Harlequins.
Max will have surgery today and will work with our Performance Department who will ensure he is given the best rehabilitation possible.

All the best Max

Adopted player 20/21: Will Spencer - welcome home http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/105/105_0_1597354200.jpg

http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/105/105_0_1597330055.jpghttp://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/105/105_0_1597330111.jpg

BathMatt53
BathMatt53
14 January, 2020 14:22
Bum. It seemed like something that wasn't from contact (I thought that he had turned his ankle at the time). Speedy recovery Max and look forward to seeing you on the pitch again soon.

[Adoptee: Tom Doughty - dynamic hooker born in Brighton, made at Team Bath. Record for BUCS top try scorer within a season]

ShortyinBurnham
ShortyinBurnham
14 January, 2020 14:33
Gutted. He was looking really sharp, and was playing well.

Get well soon!

Bathovalballer
Bathovalballer
14 January, 2020 14:39
Very bad luck Max. You were really beginning to show the potential you have promised in the past and I am sure you can come back even stronger.

Get well soon mate.

Adopted player 2020/21 Beno 'the Transformer' Obano

Adopted player 2019/20 Jonathan 'JJ' Joseph.The Jink Joseph.
Adopted player 2018/19 Adopted player 2018/19 Semesa 'The Rock' Rokoduguni

P G Tips
P G Tips
14 January, 2020 14:45
Echo the above sentiments.

I wonder if the heavy pitch was the cause?

PG

MESSAGES->author
Rawce
14 January, 2020 15:05
He was fired up and added a lot of zip to our play in the first quarter in what was a welcome return from injury. So very galling that he’ll probably be out for longer with this injury now. You could see how devastated he was sat on the sidelines with the physios. I hope he gets all the help he needs to come back even stronger.

TG Kesmo
TG Kesmo
14 January, 2020 16:04
Quote:
P G Tips

PG
Unlikely as a muddy pitch usually has more give, it is when you stick in a pitch that injuries occur. It could have been much worse if it had been a ligament or Achilles type injury these take a very long time to come back from. I wonder if we are missing something else though maybe dietery there have been a number of fractures and more worryingly re fractures.

MESSAGES->author
hemington
14 January, 2020 16:28
Get them drinking milk by the gallon

Boldangrey
Boldangrey
14 January, 2020 16:31
You and I played on muddier pitches in our day and it didn't cause injury.

....... but then perhaps we were not such finely tuned athletes!

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked
14 January, 2020 16:46
Quote:
Boldangrey
You and I played on muddier pitches in our day and it didn't cause injury.

....... but then perhaps we were not such finely tuned athletes!

What do you mean played?............ Please don't try to hide it BnG we all know you are still playing even though you try to keep it a secret from the family!

https://i.ibb.co/pZ68Lvp/Ollie-Fox.jpg

Ollie Fox - England U20 international scrum half, youngest of our four 9's. If you are good enough, you're old enough!

DorsetBoy
Dorset Boy
14 January, 2020 17:12
Poor guy, hope he heals quick.

gaz59
gaz59
14 January, 2020 19:28
Quote:
TG Kesmo
Quote:
P G Tips

PG
Unlikely as a muddy pitch usually has more give, it is when you stick in a pitch that injuries occur. It could have been much worse if it had been a ligament or Achilles type injury these take a very long time to come back from. I wonder if we are missing something else though maybe dietery there have been a number of fractures and more worryingly re fractures.

Pretty much exactly the same injury my collie/whippet sustained. Planted hind leg in soft, muddy ground and tried to launch herself off after a rabbit

Required manipulation of meta tarsal in foot and metal insert to fix stress fracture of lower fibula. 6 weeks in a splint, minimal activity but then gradual rehab to full on sprinting and now dog fully fit 6 weeks later. Hopefully same for Max and back raring to go for last few games of season

Nothing to do with diet at all!

TG Kesmo
TG Kesmo
14 January, 2020 19:43
I just wonder about the number of fracture injuries we have had quite a few but to a small number of individuals. Wasn’t Billy V’s repeat fracture down to an underlying metabolic issue?
Sorry about your dog maybe whippets were not bred to run in mud more like flat racing thoroughbreds than steeplechasers.

gaz59
gaz59
14 January, 2020 21:30
No doubt you're right there TG especially when you see the vet's bill, ouch! Bone structure is in the DNA and no amount of dog gym would have changed that - bet the likes of Max Green just can't wait for the drier ground

MESSAGES->author
joethefanatic
14 January, 2020 21:57
Quote:
gaz59
No doubt you're right there TG especially when you see the vet's bill, ouch! Bone structure is in the DNA and no amount of dog gym would have changed that - bet the likes of Max Green just can't wait for the drier ground

Your DNA may be the starting point but you can encourage increases in bone density and strength by putting repeated loads through it. That's how astronauts maintain bone density in space. Bone is a much more plastic material than people realize.

... IMHO, of course.

Now in Honolulu

Bathovalballer
Bathovalballer
14 January, 2020 23:10
I am sure BnG would turn out for any side if 'carded', especially the Old Prostates RFC touring team, the Pink Posers. Regular weekly games may be a stretch to far but an occasional guest appearance is always great fun and often enhances ones notoriety for being a super sub, even if it is only in the drinking games and leading the singing after the match.

These modern Bath players have no idea of what a soft wet pitch really looks and feels like. I can remember Bath playing Bristol in a John Player Cup game at the Rec with standing water in the corner adjacent to the Swift Half. After one collapsed maul, Andy Robinson and Graham Dawe arose from the waters spitting out water and mud in equal quantities much to the merriment of Mike Rafter and Bob Hesford. Now that would be story, drowned on your own home ground. There were no substitutes in those days as well.

Max's horrific injury is just bad luck and in my experience, injuries often came in batches, and can be very exasperating. However, like the sun, he will come up again and hopefully thrive. Chin up m'lad, our new 'pending' fly half will need a fast flat delivered pass and the forward pack will need telling what to do by a bolshie scrum half. You are the man Max. We await your return with interest.

gaz59
gaz59
15 January, 2020 09:06
Remember that game very fondly BoB. Recall Hill scoring winning try off the base of 5 metre scrum and diving under the line!

B4thB4ck
B4thB4ck
15 January, 2020 09:21
If the players have been chasing rabbits in training at Farleigh this might explain some of our injuries.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53
15 January, 2020 17:36
Hoops ON MAX GREEN INJURY:

"It was tough for Max. He broke his leg during the game and got up and carried on. It was quite remarkable courage from the young man. He was gutted after the game and then when it got confirmed on the x-ray, he was really disappointed.

"He has worked incredibly hard to get himself back in contention to be picked. I thought he started the game really well, but he understands that it is professional rugby and sometimes that happens, you come back from an injury and you pick up another one to a purely unlucky contact injury. It is just one of those situations that happen in a game.

"Max is getting that sorted straight away and we will get him back when he is ready. He is somebody that the entire squad feel for, they have seen the amount of effort that he put in to get back from the previous injury and it’s tough to take but, he’ll bounce back and he knows where he is headed.”

That's why it looked like there wasn't contact when he went down - it had happened before and he was running on it!

[Adoptee: Tom Doughty - dynamic hooker born in Brighton, made at Team Bath. Record for BUCS top try scorer within a season]

Bathovalballer
Bathovalballer
15 January, 2020 19:44
The boy has got guts. Even more respect and wishing him a speedy recovery.

Trawling
Trawling
15 January, 2020 21:46
I remember David Barnes playing most of a half against (London) Wasps with a broken arm at High Wycombe. Not too shabby for a prop!

DorsetBoy
Dorset Boy
16 January, 2020 08:58
Geraint Thomas rode 20 days of a Tour de France with a broken pelvis.
Plenty of other examples, eg Bert Trautman

gaz59
gaz59
16 January, 2020 09:04
Yeah, merely running on a broken leg, pah! winking smiley

DorsetBoy
Dorset Boy
16 January, 2020 09:14
Quote:
gaz59
Yeah, merely running on a broken leg, pah! winking smiley

I don't mean to trivialise it at all, but just pointing out that he is far, far from unique in playing on with a break.

JFPC
JFPC
16 January, 2020 12:25
Sam Burgess played most of a final with a broken cheek...

Adopted player 2019/20 Will Chudley. Weird split household co-parented
player 2020 Josh Matavesi

P G Tips
P G Tips
16 January, 2020 12:30
Kyran Bracken v New Zealand Nov 1993- Jamie Joseph stamped on his ankle in second minute.

Bracken played on in famous England win. Later discovered to be broken ankle- kept him out for 3-4 months.

PG

DorsetBoy
Dorset Boy
16 January, 2020 12:56
Quote:
P G Tips
Kyran Bracken v New Zealand Nov 1993- Jamie Joseph stamped on his ankle in second minute.
Bracken played on in famous England win. Later discovered to be broken ankle- kept him out for 3-4 months.

PG

Yet another act of thuggery by ABs that went unpunished.

DanWiley
DanWiley
16 January, 2020 12:59
But you try and tell the young people today that... and they won't believe ya'.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net