Latest news:

The COML Message Board

The place for discussion, debate and nonsense about Bath Rugby.

Join our new Facebook Group today!

New visitors please read the house rules before posting

Test your prognostications at our Prediction League

Quins A v United
Discussion started by ballsout (IP Logged), 20 January, 2020 22:20
ballsout
ballsout
20 January, 2020 22:20
Week in London so I thought Iíd go down for this.

Played a pretty good team against a Quins side that was on -93 points difference, and hadnít won a single Shield game all season... till they played Bath.

14 points difference on the score board with 60 seconds to go. Their would-be try scoring pass 5 metres from our line was intercepted and it make the final score closer than it was.

We had 3 attacking phases in the entire first half. Grand total of maybe 5 passes. Otherwise it was all Quins. Itís the same old story, and a club wide problem. We are utterly incapable of putting sides under sustained pressure.

But thatís what happens when you send Luke Charteris and Ryan Davis to ďcoachĒ the players.

Better second half mind. Couldnít get any worse.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 20/01/2020 22:22 by ballsout.

TomReagan
TomReagan
20 January, 2020 23:10
Saw we had 4 guest players and knew we'd struggle. No disrespect to those 4 but you know your resources are stretched when that happens. We played quite a few players against Ulster who would have strengthened the side tonight. Quins had a number of guest players too. With the 6N games coming up teams manage their squads even more carefully, so I'm not sure it's fair to read much into tonight's loss, albeit I didn't watch it of course!

BathMatt53
BathMatt53
20 January, 2020 23:11
ĎA pretty good teamí my 8rse - there were 9 guest players in the 23 from lower league teams, and a load of kids. I do wish they Bath would either put the clubs they are signed to or at least a brief paragraph so we know a little about them. Wasnít there so didnít see the game other than the twitter feed, but it was basically a Bath combination side at best, with maybe half a dozen names I recognise?

BATH UNITED SIDE TO FACE HARLEQUINS A:

15. Tom de Glanville
14. Levi Davis
13. Will Butt
12. Max Ojomoh
11. Frankie Smith G
10. Alex Davies (C)
9. Ed Rimmer G

1. Will Vaughan
2. Kieran Ward G
3. Kieran Verden
4. Levi Douglas
5. Will Britton
6. Tom Jeanes
7. Jack Davies
8. Nahum Merigan

Replacements

16. Jordan Liney G
17. Arthur Cordwell
18. Archie Griffin
19. Elliot Berryman G
20. Ayden Chenoweth G
21. Jordan Martin G
22. Jacob Tansey G
23. Paul Altier G

The correct approach with the wider squad playing against Ulster and the first team needed for Tigers.

[Adoptee 19 / 20: The High ball and counter attack meister, Tom Homer]

ballsout
ballsout
21 January, 2020 00:20
Quote:
BathMatt53
ĎA pretty good teamí my 8rse

3 in the starting XV, same as Quins. That forward pack is very strong for a United team. They're players that play together constantly. Same as most of the backline.

I just don't understand why all Bath teams seem incapable of putting teams under sustained pressure with the ball. It was twenty minutes before we even touched the ball and even then it only lasted a pass or two before we messed up. The boys finally strung some phases together in the last play, but only because we had to.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked
21 January, 2020 00:29
Flipping heck BO most of these are kids! eg Ojomoh is 19. Add in the guests who have never played with these lads its pretty scratch. To extend your coaching argument to these games is just unreasonable.

https://i.ibb.co/Fz0bC3q/Unknown-1.jpg

Beno Obano Age 25 years, Loosehead prop, 5ft 8ins 18st 12lbs 'Mauls are like Transformers' they change form to become more powerful!

MESSAGES->author
hemington
21 January, 2020 08:53
Must get Quins ground-staff to plant some thistles.

ballsout
ballsout
21 January, 2020 09:45
Quote:
shipwrecked
Flipping heck BO most of these are kids! eg Ojomoh is 19. Add in the guests who have never played with these lads its pretty scratch. To extend your coaching argument to these games is just unreasonable.

Why is it unreasonable? The seniors and academy train together at Farleigh. It's one mindset.

Ojomoh might be 19 but he barely touched the ball, the rest of the team was pretty strong. And Quins had plenty of kids in their side.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked
21 January, 2020 10:58
Quote:
ballsout
Quote:
shipwrecked

Why is it unreasonable? The seniors and academy train together at Farleigh. It's one mindset.

Ojomoh might be 19 but he barely touched the ball, the rest of the team was pretty strong. And Quins had plenty of kids in their side.

Because early in your rugby career your still learning the game, you play on your natural skills, speed, being elusive, handling. Coaching is about the same players week by week working as a team, building on strengths. Dare I say it but the way that Hooper is doing now, he said he was going to build a pack, he's put in place Hatley, (or it was done for him). They get better week by week as a group. If there is criticism its that we need a defence coach and the backs need work.

To get back to the point some of that team will never play again for us again. Now if that team had been together for 6 games you might have a point. Stick to the Senior side Bath United will always be a jumble of mixed talent, age, skills, experience.

https://i.ibb.co/Fz0bC3q/Unknown-1.jpg

Beno Obano Age 25 years, Loosehead prop, 5ft 8ins 18st 12lbs 'Mauls are like Transformers' they change form to become more powerful!

cb2
cb2
21 January, 2020 11:08
Odd to see guest at 9, when we need to build in this area.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53
21 January, 2020 11:13
Looks like quite a few of the guests were the Bath BUCS team.

[rugby.teambath.com]

Elliot Berryman
Ayden Chenoweth
Jordan Martin

The 9 was the co-captain.

Paul Altier was a 7s guy who played fro Honk Kong?

Linley has turned out for Hartpury?

[www.teambath.com]

[Adoptee 19 / 20: The High ball and counter attack meister, Tom Homer]

Banachek
Banachek
21 January, 2020 11:32
From the guest names I recognise -

Ed Rimmer (Bath Uni)
Kieran Ward (Old Reds)
Jordan Martin (Bath Uni)

Basically the Guest players will have had only one or two training sessions at the most as a squad, Rimmer and Ward in important/ decision making positions, so to expect a team to go out and play a well organised game is not going to happen. The club are obviously using A league to look at and develop youngsters and for players to have some game time, using guests where they are short of players . No point in expecting champagne rugby from a side probably put together a few days before , or blaming the coaching and extrapolating that to the senior side.

opti
Optimist
21 January, 2020 11:40
And in other news. The United team has performed considerably better this year than most years that I can recall. The U18s team has had some outstanding results over the last couple of months. We have 6 players in England's 6 Nations squad - second only to the Salary-busters with 7. Our injury list is possibly as low as it's been at this point of the season for 5 years and several players have returned ahead of schedule. We haven't, to date, had a high-profile loss of a player to another club in the transfer season, and we've had 5 important players re-sign in recent weeks. We're 6th in the table and only 3 teams (one of whom is operating with c. 25% additional player budget than everyone else) have won more games than us this season. Of those 2 teams who have legitimately won more games than us, we've beaten both. We've just done a smart bit of business with Roberts/Matavesi.

gaz59
gaz59
21 January, 2020 11:59
Crikey Opti, you after a job with the marketing team? You've really excelled beyond your nomenclature with this one!

MESSAGES->author
Rawce
21 January, 2020 12:37
Quote:
Optimist
The United team has performed considerably better this year than most years that I can recall. The U18s team has had some outstanding results over the last couple of months.
Yet ballsout didn't start any well done threads when we were winning all of those? Funny that!

DorsetBoy
Dorset Boy
21 January, 2020 12:38
Opti - you stolen Stephen Jones's happy pills?!!!!

TomReagan
TomReagan
21 January, 2020 17:04
I don't think Jones is remotely happy. Forever moaning about something, most recently the injustice suffered by Sarries. Even his photo.... lagubrious is the word that comes to mind (although I did have to check how to spell it!).

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net