Latest news:

The COML Message Board

The place for discussion, debate and nonsense about Bath Rugby.

Join our new Facebook Group today!

New visitors please read the house rules before posting

Test your prognostications at our Prediction League

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
IMITATE THE TIGER: BATH v LEICESTER TIGERS (Teams’ up)
Discussion started by Comeonmylovers.co.uk (IP Logged), 22 January, 2020 09:54
Comeonmylovers.co.uk
Comeonmylovers.co.uk
22 January, 2020 09:54
What do you think? You can have your say by posting below.
If you do not already have an account Click here to Register.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2020 19:15 by P G Tips.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53
22 January, 2020 10:44
Good summary as ever PGT.

I think that Priestland and Matavesi will start in place of Burns and Wright (who went off at half time against Ulster).

If it were me and if he's not at the U20s yet, I would also be tempted to play GHW over Rokodoguni (shock, horror) and would have Douglas on the bench ahead of Garvey.

[Adoptee 19 / 20: The High ball and counter attack meister, Tom Homer]

Old Bath Tub
Old Bath Tub
22 January, 2020 10:46
Really looking forward to this game ! (Sm128)

Adopted Player 2018/19 Ross Batty
Adopted Player 2019/20 Jack Davies

"AN OUNCE OF ACTION IS WORTH A TON OF THEORY"
FRIEDRICH ENGELS

TomReagan
TomReagan
22 January, 2020 10:55
Matavesi's had nearly a week to famiarise himself with our playbook of backs' moves- that should be more than enough time...

opti
Optimist
22 January, 2020 11:32
I like the fact that 18 of that squad of 23 are England-qualified, on top of the 6 that are supplied to England's 6 Nations squad. Less comfortable is the fact (subject to checking) that only 5-6 are Bath products.

The edge - in fact, the middle and the ends - have been taken off this game by Sarries' antics and the England call-ups. Still has every possibility to be a mini-classic i'd say. Hail McNally - he has been a rock this season, and we've had an awful lot more from him than Bris have had from big Dave.

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath
22 January, 2020 11:36
With relegation off the agenda there's no excuse for either team to play a boring brand of rugby, anything less than an exciting open game will be disappointing.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked
22 January, 2020 11:50
Quote:
TomReagan
Matavesi's had nearly a week to famiarise himself with our playbook of backs' moves- that should be more than enough time...

There are some that might say 5 minutes is long enough!

https://i.ibb.co/Fz0bC3q/Unknown-1.jpg

Beno Obano Age 25 years, Loosehead prop, 5ft 8ins 18st 12lbs 'Mauls are like Transformers' they change form to become more powerful!

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath
22 January, 2020 11:57
Quote:
shipwrecked
Quote:
TomReagan

There are some that might say 5 minutes is long enough!

(Sm22)

What play book?

opti
Optimist
22 January, 2020 12:05
Quote:
TomReagan

V. good that!!

Will he have had time to go and buy some extra padding? Priestland does like to put people into brick-walls.

Stopsy
Stopsy
22 January, 2020 12:09
Thanks PGT, I hope we can put in a coherent performance, preferably continuing the upward curve from before Christmas. Looking forward to having rugby to watch/discuss rather than cheating, oh hang on a minute...

gaz59
gaz59
22 January, 2020 13:53
Even with their missing England players that is not a bad Tigger line up at all but Obano in great form and our back 5 in the pack should be well on top

If Willison and Matevesi line up together at any point with their offloading skills it would be nonsense to have Priestland inside them to simply send them into a Tigger brick wall and behind gain line

But if that is the line up then their bench forwards have an edge so hoping we are two scores plus in front with 20 to go

BathMatt53
BathMatt53
22 January, 2020 14:34
Quote:
gaz59
If Willison and Matevesi line up together at any point with their offloading skills it would be nonsense to have Priestland inside them to simply send them into a Tigger brick wall and behind gain line

Or Freddie who could chip it to their backs to let them have a run at us? This is a game where a lack of 50-50 plays would be handy IMO, RP may not be a risk taker but that suits me fine this weekend.

Stopsy
Stopsy
22 January, 2020 15:42
I hope we will have Lavanini, unlikely to see Liebenberg (injured) also not sure on Guy Thompson's fitness. Replacement Tighthead is a toss up between Leatigaga and Heyes.

opti
Optimist
22 January, 2020 15:46
The midfield equation has changed considerably with Roberts out of the picture - that instinct to simply send him crashing up isn't an option, and Willison has shown more creativity in the last couple of weeks than JR has shown in a life time. We might even see Willison and Matavesi paired together which would really put the cat amongst the pigeons. They are both pretty physical specimens so it's not as if they are a couple of little ballerinas who can't be sent to the line. I'd love to see Burns given a proper run (with a bit of patience for him to recover some consistency and form) - but i can see Hooper reverting to Priestland - and that may well prove to be the right option. His line-kicking gives us a lot of free metres. And if he just moves the point of creativity out a channel, then there's no reason why we can't start to see a potent back 3 free up a bit.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53
22 January, 2020 16:04
Batty suspended for 4 weeks. Far from ideal.

‘Bath Rugby’s Ross Batty has been suspended for four weeks following an independent Disciplinary Hearing in London today (Tuesday, 21 January) arising from his club’s Heineken Champions Cup, Round 6 match against Ulster Rugby.

Batty is free to play on Monday, 2 March, and both he and EPCR have the right to appeal the decision.‘

TomReagan
TomReagan
22 January, 2020 16:26
Bath Matt, you always know about procedural matters. 4 weeks doesn't take us to March 2nd, in fact it's way beyond it. It means he misses the Bristol game too. He misses 4 prem games-couldn't have come at a worse time. Three 6 Nations games in that period so, being selfish and putting my Bath head on, I'll be hoping George and LCD stay fit.

opti
Optimist
22 January, 2020 16:29
For offences such as this, I'd much rather see players fined (heavily), and the money going into an injured players fund or something. Red cards like Batty's are all about changing habits. There is usually no malice - just bad timing, bad habits, carelessness. With squads and front-rows under pressure, it does nobody any good for Batty to be unavailable for 4 weeks. Potentially rushes an under-prepared Academy player into action.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53
22 January, 2020 16:47
Quote:
TomReagan
Bath Matt, you always know about procedural matters. 4 weeks doesn't take us to March 2nd, in fact it's way beyond it. It means he misses the Bristol game too. He misses 4 prem games-couldn't have come at a worse time. Three 6 Nations games in that period so, being selfish and putting my Bath head on, I'll be hoping George and LCD stay fit.

Taken directly from the Premiership Rugby website TR!

[www.premiershiprugby.com]

I guess its 'meaningful game weeks' or whatever they call it (rather than calendar weeks):

- Leicester Tigers
- Worcester Warriors
- Harlequins
- Bristol Bears

Skelton is also banned for 4 weeks but 'is free to play on Monday, 24 February, and both he and EPCR have the right to appeal the decision.' Sarries have the premiership cup on 7th Feb which is counted I guess.

TomReagan
TomReagan
22 January, 2020 17:45
Thanks BathMatt! Figured something on those lines. Perhaps my memory failing me- well I know it is, but on this specific issue- as thought there used to be an element of luck about the number of games missed in a given time period. Pity we didn't qualify for the Mickey Mouse Cup then.

tigerburnie
tigerburnie
22 January, 2020 18:12
I'd expect Lavanini to be in the 2nd row for Tigers, he's been settling in very nicely for us and Lewis could be on the bench if Wells plays at 6 again.

ballsout
ballsout
22 January, 2020 18:14
What a surprise, Premiership Rugby have scheduled our game against Bristol when all our internationals are away.

Quote:
Optimist
Quote:
TomReagan

V. good that!!

Will he have had time to go and buy some extra padding? Priestland does like to put people into brick-walls.

At least he might actually get the ball with Priestland. Better than Burns kicking it to Tigers at the first sign of possession and conceding 50 metres at best, a try at worst.

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer
23 January, 2020 01:10
Quote:
TomReagan

A day or two should be enough for that based on what we generally see.

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer
23 January, 2020 01:13
Furthermore, how long will we have to wait before he picks up a typical Bath injury?

warrenball
warrenball
23 January, 2020 12:45
First game for a long time when our backs could look more exciting than the opposition, but it is certain to be a bog and with a wet ball I worry we may decide to stick it up the jumper. I hope we don't, a few years ago I saw a Crusaders game in driving rain and the first handling error came just before half time, so it is possible.

copester
copester
23 January, 2020 13:41
See Saints have not picked Biggar and not classed him as injured. Have Wales called the Premiership players in? Could this mean Toby wont play either this weekend?

adopted player 19/20. Max Wright
18/19. Cooper Vuna.

Rokobilly
Rokobilly
23 January, 2020 15:49
Toby's definitely been in the Welsh camp this week. Not sure if his release agreement (which we got fined for a year or two back) would apply this weekend or not. As a Welsh supporting Bath fan, I think he needs another match before the 6N so hoping he'll be back at The Rec on Saturday.

MESSAGES->author
CoochieCoo
23 January, 2020 21:03
Quote:
Rokobilly
Toby's definitely been in the Welsh camp this week. Not sure if his release agreement (which we got fined for a year or two back) would apply this weekend or not. As a Welsh supporting Bath fan, I think he needs another match before the 6N so hoping he'll be back at The Rec on Saturday.

Gather he is available for selection.

https://pbflaa.by.files.1drv.com/y4mToRbTHGUTg0zWMi8LNeOlOmx4tZHsH3crYbASv0X_qWBw8j30S9KV-RiZIf_AWoOZXD7D3Rjy1tYRAKXykpZSHuOObVQBiovPpB6PnDUuBM6xlx2F1yOjKpEBmWUfMru3SCm255j3p-CnndC7J9ZUG29r1BtfFWHHj-MdzDOpzBuTRTPqNaco8ctf1svZyW0?width=106&height=160&cropmode=none
https://pbfkaa.by.files.1drv.com/y4mhxY1k8zrLn92LwcIYgSd1KcA6zBGX-Wgw2dNz8Us0xA71EhjMmL2tc-ggx7OlsBDECw8eAZ_oAWnNyh5doimzOEics5H87cuh5Q-Sb-ViPD6Pt6QUBneu5F2tlWLltGQZ8pd5qFmsZwbKB39L5Dki21gJfnsiaxLiCiuWPCZUjkXp4EttajzFAgcCl6YuDDF?width=160&height=107&cropmode=none

Rokobilly
Rokobilly
23 January, 2020 21:23
Quote:
CoochieCoo
Quote:
Rokobilly

Gather he is available for selection.

Good news CC

Old Bath Tub
Old Bath Tub
24 January, 2020 10:45
Quote:
TomReagan

I’m going to stick my neck out and predict Josh scoring on Saturday if selected to start , possibly in the first 20. If on the bench the last 20 .
(Sm128)

FRIEDRICH ENGELS

MESSAGES->author
CoochieCoo
24 January, 2020 12:03
BATH RUGBY TEAM TO FACE LEICESTER TIGERS:

15. Tom Homer

14. Semesa Rokoduguni

13. Max Wright

12. Jackson Willison

11. Ruaridh McConnochie

10. Rhys Priestland (C)

9. Chris Cook

1. Beno Obano

2. Jack Walker

3. Christian Judge

4. Josh McNally

5. Elliott Stooke

6. Mike Williams

7. Josh Bayliss

8. Taulupe Faletau

Replacements

16. Tom Doughty, 17. Lewis Boyce, 18. Sam Nixon, 19. Matt Garvey, 20. Tom Ellis, 21. Will Chudley, 22. Freddie Burns, 23. Josh Matavesi

https://pbflaa.by.files.1drv.com/y4mToRbTHGUTg0zWMi8LNeOlOmx4tZHsH3crYbASv0X_qWBw8j30S9KV-RiZIf_AWoOZXD7D3Rjy1tYRAKXykpZSHuOObVQBiovPpB6PnDUuBM6xlx2F1yOjKpEBmWUfMru3SCm255j3p-CnndC7J9ZUG29r1BtfFWHHj-MdzDOpzBuTRTPqNaco8ctf1svZyW0?width=106&height=160&cropmode=none
https://pbfkaa.by.files.1drv.com/y4mhxY1k8zrLn92LwcIYgSd1KcA6zBGX-Wgw2dNz8Us0xA71EhjMmL2tc-ggx7OlsBDECw8eAZ_oAWnNyh5doimzOEics5H87cuh5Q-Sb-ViPD6Pt6QUBneu5F2tlWLltGQZ8pd5qFmsZwbKB39L5Dki21gJfnsiaxLiCiuWPCZUjkXp4EttajzFAgcCl6YuDDF?width=160&height=107&cropmode=none

Stopsy
Stopsy
24 January, 2020 12:05
Your visitors:
15 Telusa Veainu
14 Jonah Holmes
13 Jaco Taute
12 Kyle Eastmond
11 Jordan Olowofela
10 Tom Hardwick
9 Ben White
1 Facundo Gigena
2 Tom Youngs (c)
3 Dan Cole
4 Tomás Lavanini
5 Will Spencer
6 Harry Wells
7 Jordan Taufua
8 Sione Kalamafoni
Replacements
16 Tatafu Polota-Nau
17 Greg Bateman
18 Joe Heyes
19 Ifereimi Boladau
20 Tommy Reffell
21 Harry Simmons
22 Noel Reid
23 George Worth

MESSAGES->author
hemington
24 January, 2020 12:06
Slug it out for the first 60 then bring a little razzle-dazzle for the last 20?

Bath Supporter Jack
Bath Supporter Jack
24 January, 2020 12:09
Flow injured I assume?

No Fox?

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer
24 January, 2020 12:16
Expecting more from Cook. Who’s Doughty?

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked
24 January, 2020 12:19
Tell us about Tom Hardwick Stropsy, is he one to watch out for?

Beno Obano Age 25 years, Loosehead prop, 5ft 8ins 18st 12lbs 'Mauls are like Transformers' they change form to become more powerful!

Rokobilly
Rokobilly
24 January, 2020 12:50
Quote:
Bath Hammer
Expecting more from Cook. Who’s Doughty?

According to Wikipedia: "Thomas "Tom" Doughty is an English, Cheshire-based lap steel acoustic guitarist and singer-songwriter, who has released three albums. His style is free-flowing and improvisational, drawing from the blues, folk and jazz-swing standards."

Also our 4th choice hooker who gets a shot because Tom Dunn is with England and Batty's on the naughty step. Am hoping his line out throwing is less free flowing and improvisational than his namesake's guitar playing.

Good luck tomorrow Tom!

ballsout
ballsout
24 January, 2020 13:03
Quote:
shipwrecked

Man of the match a few months ago when 14 man Tigers comfortably beat Bath at the Rec in the Prem Cup.

Stopsy
Stopsy
24 January, 2020 13:06
Hardwick : Son of the ex England prop Rob, he's come through our academy and played well last season and more so this season. Has a decent boot, distribution and defence but still very raw, particularly in strategic control. Seems to improve with each game though.

Costellow is one to watch in my book (in our academy)

Stopsy
Stopsy
24 January, 2020 13:07
Thanks for that Ballsout, I'd forgotten that.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53
24 January, 2020 13:25
Should be a good game. Hope Cookie has worked on his fast and accurate passing. I think that Jackson Willison looks better at 12 than 13 so pleased with that balance.

COYB!!

tigerburnie
tigerburnie
24 January, 2020 13:28
What impressed me in France last week with Hardwick was he never took a backward step, don't recall him missing a tackle and he kept a cool head when Pau started getting physical.

Kidney Stone
Kidney Stone
24 January, 2020 22:26
Beno vs Cole will be interesting, as will the TF vs Kalamafoni match up.

Nixon rightly gets the nod as the 18 ahead of Cj.

Could be a good showing. Bath by 2 scores.

ballsout
ballsout
25 January, 2020 00:35
Quote:
Kidney Stone
Beno vs Cole will be interesting, as will the TF vs Kalamafoni match up.
Nixon rightly gets the nod as the 18 ahead of Cj.

Could be a good showing. Bath by 2 scores.

So very interesting.

Cj, who I'm going to assume is meant to be Chris Judge, is starting.

ChippenhamRoman
ChippenhamRoman
25 January, 2020 10:43
Quote:
ballsout
Quote:
shipwrecked

Man of the match a few months ago when 14 man Tigers comfortably beat Bath at the Rec in the Prem Cup.

Terrible game that. IIRC Leicester staffed that game a bit more competitively than Bath.

J

tigerburnie
tigerburnie
25 January, 2020 11:57
What's the weather like, will it be boggy under foot?

Barnoid
Barnoid
25 January, 2020 12:34
Quote:
tigerburnie
What's the weather like, will it be boggy under foot?

Dry and relatively mild overnight. Not much wind and no sign of rain at the moment. The pitch will inevitably be pretty heavy though.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked
25 January, 2020 15:54
Neither side looking anything like competent! So much for lifting the chains of relegation to produce open free flowing rugby!

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer
25 January, 2020 15:57
Leicester are at least keeping possession which we are incapable of doing. Lucky to be leading.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked
25 January, 2020 16:12
Zac Mercer brilliant addition to the radio commentary on radio Bristol.

JFPC
JFPC
25 January, 2020 16:12
Zac Mercer's commentary on Radio Bristol is worth listening to!

Adopted player 2019/20 Will Chudley.

B4thB4ck
B4thB4ck
25 January, 2020 16:20
Quote:
JFPC

Is he saying where the ball is on the pitch? That would be a novel concept for RB.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked
25 January, 2020 16:21
Matevesi on, can you imagine the lift Zac Mercer would give if you were on the field with him!

supermarinematt
supermarinematt
25 January, 2020 16:35
This is dire. We are horrible yet again today. Far to much kicking and zero creativity

Mike the Taxi
Mike the Taxi
25 January, 2020 16:38
Homer Try! Mercer sounds like we've won the World Cup!

Mike the Taxi
Mike the Taxi
25 January, 2020 16:39
Conversion hits post; Zac distraught!

JFPC
JFPC
25 January, 2020 16:40
Quote:
B4thB4ck
Quote:
JFPC

Is he saying where the ball is on the pitch? That would be a novel concept for RB.

Normally I'd agree, but he's so good it doesn't matter!

Adopted player 2019/20 Will Chudley.

Mike the Taxi
Mike the Taxi
25 January, 2020 16:43
Zac disagreeing a lot with Wayne's decisions, but still refers to him as 'Sir'.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked
25 January, 2020 16:45
After Barnes misses a third knock on Zac will be giving him serious grief in the bar!

Who cares where the ball is on the pitch by the way!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 25/01/2020 16:50 by shipwrecked.

Mike the Taxi
Mike the Taxi
25 January, 2020 16:52
Never in Doubt!

COYB!!

FT!

MESSAGES->author
hasta
25 January, 2020 16:54
Mercer great value on Comms!

opti
Optimist
25 January, 2020 17:00
Quote:
hasta
Mercer great value on Comms!

Hilarious - not a commentator - a fan let loose in the commentary box. Blooky brilliant though.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53
25 January, 2020 17:26
Pro’s:

Bath won

Con‘s:

Just about everything else!

Hope those who got knocks (including RM before k.o?) are OK

tigerburnie
tigerburnie
25 January, 2020 17:33
Not seen the game yet, but by all accounts you were least cr@p of two pretty poor sides, makes you wonder what has happened to the two sides that for over a decade were the envy of the land.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53
25 January, 2020 17:36
Take 2 average sides and take their best players away for internationals and you end up with a game of below average quality, which is definitely what we just got. I’m not looking forward to the rest of the games in this 6N tbh.

ballsout
ballsout
25 January, 2020 17:58
Two terrible teams playing terrible rugby. Result was meaningless.

MESSAGES->author
Widcombe Boy
25 January, 2020 18:09
Quote:
ballsout
I'm just happy with the home win thanks

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked
25 January, 2020 18:10
Quote:
ballsout

Apart from the win and 4 points of course!

And the game stats:

Bath 6th - Played 9, Won 5. Lost 4, Points 21.

ballsout
ballsout
25 January, 2020 18:11
Yaaaaaaayyyyy aren’t Bath great

Bathovalballer
Bathovalballer
25 January, 2020 18:14
Very poor but we needed that win. In the past we lost tight games so relief to hold on.

Am very worried about knock to TF's right arm. Just hope he is OK. He looked distinctly groggy for last few mknutes before Garvey came on.

Liked what I saw of Matevesi. And Ben O did a good job on Cole. Stooke immense as was McInally in line out. Chudders good Cook very poor. Not much else.
We won hurray!

Adopted player 2019/20 Jonathan 'JJ' Joseph.

The Jink Joseph.

Adopted player 2018/19 Adopted player 2018/19 Semesa 'The Rock' Rokoduguni

BathMatt53
BathMatt53
25 January, 2020 18:18
Quote:
ballsout
Yaaaaaaayyyyy aren’t Bath great

That’s unlike you BO, you normally say they are rubbish.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53
25 January, 2020 18:21
Quote:
ballsout
Quote:
shipwrecked

He was pretty awful today tbh.

My MoM would have been from Stooke, McNally or Obano.

ballsout
ballsout
25 January, 2020 18:26
Hands like feet McNally?

BathMatt53
BathMatt53
25 January, 2020 18:27
Quote:
ballsout
Hands like feet McNally?

Lolz you really are clutching at straws today (Sm6)

Hooper sums up the game pretty fairly I think.

Bath director of rugby Stuart Hooper told BBC Radio Bristol:

"I'm pleased with the four points but no the performance, I'm pleased with winning, that is important but overall the performance was way off where we need to be.

"We let Leicester dictate the tempo of the game, we knew with their forwards that they would slow the game down, and we were getting to their levels rather than those we wanted to set.

"When we had the ball between line-outs, I wanted to see a bit more with ball in hand. We coughed up the ball 11 times, 11 turnovers and all those moments are moments we could have applied pressure and we didn't.

"I'm pleased with the way we scored the try, I thought the effort from the forwards was outstanding and the way the boys closed out the game was really good."

Chudley a massive improvement when he came on. Whats with all the hand flapping and pausing before passing from Cook this season? Box kicking poor too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 25/01/2020 18:29 by BathMatt53.

dannyf2
dannyf2
25 January, 2020 18:43
Wow. Possibly the worst advert for premiership rugby ever. We'll take the win, but good grief it was awful.

Long Term
Long Term
25 January, 2020 18:46
Quote:
ballsout

But I thought Bath couldn't close out games and weren't going to win a game this season!

Old Bath Tub
Old Bath Tub
25 January, 2020 18:47
Happy with the win, but soul destroying watching, how many handling errors ........197 ! (Sm100)

FRIEDRICH ENGELS

gaz59
gaz59
25 January, 2020 18:47
In fairness Glaws were tripe today as well

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked
25 January, 2020 18:58
Interesting that Zac Mercer stated that despite the Rec pitch being better than he thought today the calibre of players we have are the kind that thrive on firm fast pitches and we don't get the best from them.

ballsout
ballsout
25 January, 2020 19:17
BathMatt, you need to look up the definition for clutching at straws. McNally’s hands are terrible. Coughs up so much ball. I mean more than the rest of the side do with comical frequency.

Quote:
dannyf2
Wow. Possibly the worst advert for premiership rugby ever. We'll take the win, but good grief it was awful.

Yep.

gaz59
gaz59
25 January, 2020 19:23
Attwood was largely responsible for 3 of glaws penalties and a knock on or two. Depends what you're looking for and you will see it

Long Term
Long Term
25 January, 2020 19:26
Quote:
ballsout
BathMatt, you need to look up the definition for clutching at straws. McNally’s hands are terrible. Coughs up so much ball. I mean more than the rest of the side do with comical frequency.
Quote:
dannyf2

Yep.
BO isn't the focus supposed to be on how bad Hooper and the coaching set up is? Attacking individual players is not a good look for your negative agenda!

BathMatt53
BathMatt53
25 January, 2020 19:29
Of course they aren’t. For example he has been a solid contributor to a lineout that competed 10/10 again this week for starters. He conceded 2 turnovers. He did miss 4 tackles though...overall I think that he has started well at Bath and is a good signing. Makes a lot of carries and there aren’t all going to go perfectly...

...which takes us onto a more positive subject, Walker and Williams made 24 tackles each...Walker missed zero and Williams 1.

opti
Optimist
25 January, 2020 19:42
Wouldn’t want to have been bo’s cat when the final whistle went - his irritation that Bath won is absolutely palpable. Almost as entertaining as Zach’s commentary.

Trawling
Trawling
25 January, 2020 19:59
Some of the views on here are as absurd as they are predictable. Might not have been a late season try fest but it was a long way from terrible. Clearly in the game those people watched, Veainu never carried the ball, there was no great try line defending by either side, no try saving tackle by Burns, no line breaks by Chudley, Priestland or any of the forwards and no great finishing from Tom Homer. Go home, watch the DVD of the 80s side (when we never infringed the spirit of the amateur game obviously) if that's what it takes to make you happy but FFS stop whingeing on here.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 25/01/2020 20:00 by Trawling.

sid the seagull
sid the seagull
25 January, 2020 20:18
Accepting the irony darling. Trawling, what are you on about?
Literally what was the point of your input?
Oh sorry, the clues’s in the name.
Rest in peace.

PECK

ballsout
ballsout
25 January, 2020 20:20
Yes those things happened. 120 seconds of quality play doesn’t make up for the other 78 minutes of rubbish.

Some of the delusional posts on here are as absurd as they are predictable.

I’ve been supporting a long time, that was the first time I couldn’t care less about who won in the end. It was meaningless. This is easily the worst Bath side since 2003.

Sadly this very rare win will just paper over the cracks as usual, and we’ll just keep stumbling on. Going nowhere, as usual.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 25/01/2020 20:27 by ballsout.

TomReagan
TomReagan
25 January, 2020 20:22
I thought it was a really poor game. The defence of both sides was excellent, but that is helped by the lack of attacking intent and ideas. Tigerburnie, I think your lot were marginally better, certainly in terms of continuity. (Incidentally, my predictive text comes up with an interesting version of your name!). I guess discipline was a positive for both sides and our set piece was excellent, but all undone as soon as we had to do something with the ball. Both sides box-kicked as a matter of course. Hooper commended the forwards, so I think he shares the view of those who thought that the backs again looked poor. There was no pace/intensity when we had the ball, although Homer's second try was a great individual effort.

ballsout
ballsout
25 January, 2020 20:27
Pub teams have better ball retention than Bath.

Trawling
Trawling
25 January, 2020 20:29
And 5 year olds demonstrate more ability to doubt their own genius than you do.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 25/01/2020 20:30 by Trawling.

Old Bath Tub
Old Bath Tub
25 January, 2020 20:32
[quote gaz59]In fairness Glaws were tripe today as well[/quote

Yes, agree with that, just watched the game... Bristol pretty good... you know what I don’t mind where we finish up in the league as long it’s above all our local West Country rivals.... Oh wait ....(Sm105)

FRIEDRICH ENGELS

MESSAGES->author
Which Tyler
25 January, 2020 20:48
So after all that, let's have a look at a few facts.
6th in the premiership, more wins than losses, only 1 win behind the top 2 teams.
Closer to 4th than 7th.

We now have a few weeks for rest tired bodies and minds (and get Josh up to speed). Then we play Worcester. Whilst the 2 teams immediately above us (by 1 and 2 points) are up against the 2 teams at the top of the table.

We're so terrible that we've got a really good chance to be in the top 4 after round 10, and possibly even 3rd.

People may not like these facts, because of course, were the worst team in the Prem and it's inconceivable that we'll win a single match this season, let alone the 5 we already have (again, it's amazing how every year seems to be the worst ever, and how we're nailed on for relegation every year - regardless of the facts on the ground). But they're still facts, not even spin, just facts.

And then we have some rules about no personal abuse of players, with some posters showing their class with phrases like "feet for hands)

A man who cannot change his mind, cannot change anything
RAEBURN SHIELD

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 25/01/2020 20:53 by Which Tyler.

Trawling
Trawling
25 January, 2020 20:49
BO you make a lot of noise on here for someone who doesn't care. I'm not saying the current side are up there with the best Bath teams but: just pointing out the errors made doesn't make you a tactical genius; it'll stop hurting when you stop hitting your head against a brick wall; acknowledging that players can be working their a$@es off and still make mistakes would be a step forward.

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath
25 January, 2020 20:53
Well all that really matters is that Bath won, so well done to the players.

However the game was totally devoid of any skill or entertainment, both DOR's should be utterly embarrassed by that. Best thing they could do would be to look up the word entertainment in the dictionary whilst they enjoy their after game pint.

TomReagan
TomReagan
25 January, 2020 21:08
To be fair to the DORs Murphy described the game as 'turgid' and Hooper was not impressed with the performance. Does bring more attention on the cost of match tickets at the Rec for another game that wasn't exactly entertaining, match ticket prices being an issue raised this week on twitter and picked up by Somerset Live.

ballsout
ballsout
25 January, 2020 21:51
Quote:
Which Tyler
So after all that, let's have a look at a few facts.
6th in the premiership, more wins than losses, only 1 win behind the top 2 teams.
Closer to 4th than 7th.

We now have a few weeks for rest tired bodies and minds (and get Josh up to speed). Then we play Worcester. Whilst the 2 teams immediately above us (by 1 and 2 points) are up against the 2 teams at the top of the table.

We're so terrible that we've got a really good chance to be in the top 4 after round 10, and possibly even 3rd.

I can do stats too.

We were out of the Prem Cup after just two rounds, followed by 6 losses out of 6 in Europe. Before today's cripple fight we were 2 wins out of the last TEN.

No one is saying we're the worst side in the league, what I'm saying is that after a decade of underachievement, with a side full of quality players, the turgid rugby they're putting out is frankly, shameful.

But sure, keep doing what this message board always does year after year, accentuate the minuscule positives, keep hoping that we'll improve and actually add something of real value to Premiership or European rugby. You'll be waiting a while though.

Quote:
TomReagan
To be fair to the DORs Murphy described the game as 'turgid' and Hooper was not impressed with the performance.

Careful, you'll be accused of having an agenda. It was utter rubbish, from both sides. The crowd have given up groaning every time we lose the ball after a pass or two, it happens so often.

gaz59
gaz59
25 January, 2020 21:56
Ballsout, there are many people who will be deeply and genuinely offended by the term cripple fight

I leave it to you to decide what you do about it

Trawling
Trawling
25 January, 2020 22:36
You may be angry, you may have reason to be angry but using that phrase in a public forum is clearly inappropriate and offensive.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53
25 January, 2020 23:23
Quote:
gaz59
Ballsout, there are many people who will be deeply and genuinely offended by the term cripple fight

+1. That’s a line that has been crossed, but sadly no massive surprise considering the tool who crossed it. Then again, to be offensive and get himself noticed is the point isn’t it?

Barnoid
Barnoid
26 January, 2020 00:14
Quote:
gaz59

Whether bo has valid concerns around how Bath Rugby play the game of rugby or not, this kind of language and attitude reflects badly on him but also on us as fans. I’m not happy to continue to visit and contribute to this site if this is considered acceptable.

Trawling
Trawling
26 January, 2020 00:18
Hello Sid, just spotted yr response to my earlier post. No irony and I changed my user name from Trawler to Trawling a number of years ago because the website had issues with user names and log ins. 10 yrs posting, 40 yrs supporting the team - how about you?

My point is very simple, I was at the game and while it was not great in terms of quality there was lots to enjoy - not least a close win against a traditional opponent. I'm not trying to be clever.

Jog on yourself, smarta$%se!

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net