Latest news:

The COML Message Board

The place for discussion, debate and nonsense about Bath Rugby.

Join our new Facebook Group today!

New visitors please read the house rules before posting

Test your prognostications at our Prediction League

England’s World Cup Hangover – A Bath Perspective
Discussion started by Comeonmylovers.co.uk (IP Logged), 04 February, 2020 19:14
Comeonmylovers.co.uk
Comeonmylovers.co.uk
04 February, 2020 19:14
What do you think? You can have your say by posting below.
If you do not already have an account Click here to Register.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/02/2020 21:10 by P G Tips.

DorsetBoy
Dorset Boy
04 February, 2020 19:39
"A defeat doesn't change who your best 23 are"

Well it would help if the match day squad was the best 23 players available, but it patently wasn't Eddie.

MESSAGES->author
joethefanatic
04 February, 2020 20:09
Your best players are defined by playing in their best positions. I don't understand why Eddie thinks Tom Curry can be a "good 8" when he's already a world class 7. If Eddie wants a Curry at 8 that badly, pick his brother.

I'd like to see drop goals being taken once the initial try line attempts have failed. Once the defence resets it all becomes a lottery. Take the 3, get the ball back from the kick off and go again. You've only got to fail to score a try 2 times out of 3 (and most of the time that 's what happens if you're not Exeter) for it to be a net win. And, if nothing else, setting up for a DG gives the line defence something else to think about.

I'd start Faz at 10, Devoto at 12 and Daly (as clearly we must have him in the side) at 13. It's Daly's best position and JJ really has not looked the part for a long while. Watson and May wings and Furbank at 15. I think Furbank is worth persevering with cos he's a younger Alex Goode and dropping him after that clusterfeck seems a tad unfair.

... IMHO, of course.

Now in Honolulu

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2020 20:10 by joethefanatic.

warrenball
warrenball
04 February, 2020 21:42
If he wants a fast, agile No 8 why not Simmons who is one of the most gifted players in the Premiership and knows how to get over the try line from 2 years out (and touch the ball down)

P G Tips
P G Tips
05 February, 2020 09:11
Quote:
warrenball
If he wants a fast, agile No 8 why not Simmons who is one of the most gifted players in the Premiership and knows how to get over the try line from 2 years out (and touch the ball down)

Good choice of words wb- it seemed England would not have converted their pick and drive in 2 years of trying!

Simmons unfortunately is not in the squad.

PG

Bathovalballer
Bathovalballer
05 February, 2020 14:28
As I have said and obvious to all, Mr Jones doesn't give a fig about form as he 'knows who the best players are'! Smacks of incredible arrogance to me. If the starting 23 last week are the best available players in England, many of whom are struggling for form, we will never be the World beating side he says he wants to create. In fact without some selection flexibility, we will never be.

Please RFU, remove Mr Jones are find another coach who has a different view and is prepared to look beyond Eddie's chosen ones. You never know, we might find a group of players who are hungry and capable of rising above muscle bound mediocrity and consistently perform at the highest skill levels.

Adopted player 2019/20 Jonathan 'JJ' Joseph.

The Jink Joseph.

Adopted player 2018/19 Adopted player 2018/19 Semesa 'The Rock' Rokoduguni

opti
Optimist
05 February, 2020 14:54
Eddie 'knows who the best players are'! Smacks of incredible arrogance'

I mean ... that's his actual job, so I'm struggling to see how that is evidence of his arrogance.

Claiming that his aim is to coach 'the greatest side that ever played', however .....

BathMatt53
BathMatt53
05 February, 2020 15:38
Always good to have an aim, and that one sounds about right for a team that got to the RWC final. I think that he was probably having a bit of a joke when he said that though.

[www.theguardian.com]

[Adoptee 19 / 20: The High ball and counter attack meister, Tom Homer]

opti
Optimist
05 February, 2020 18:12
The thing is nobody is looking for jokes from Eddie - he's a rugby coach. The world isn't short of comedians.

Man from LA
Man from LA
06 February, 2020 08:14
I'd go for Heinz, Ford, Devoto and JJ. If Farrell is out of form and unable to show leadership he should be dropped. No-one should be guaranteed their place.

warrenball
warrenball
11 February, 2020 07:23
You are right Opti, lots of comedians, but very little humour, unfortunately a sign the times.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net