Latest news:

The COML Message Board

The place for discussion, debate and nonsense about Bath Rugby.

Join our new Facebook Group today!

New visitors please read the house rules before posting

Test your prognostications at our Prediction League

Dai Young
Discussion started by Duke of Earl (IP Logged), 11 February, 2020 12:09
MESSAGES->author
Duke of Earl
11 February, 2020 12:09
BBC News - Wasps: Dai Young steps down for an interim period, replaced by Lee Blackett
[www.bbc.co.uk]

Nothing can stop the Duke of Earl

MESSAGES->author
Which Tyler
11 February, 2020 12:17
BBC now saying "Wasps director of rugby Dai Young is to step back from first-team duties for an unspecified period, say the Coventry-based Premiership club."
So it's temporary leave of absence then.

Hope everything is okay for Dai and Dai's.

A man who cannot change his mind, cannot change anything
RAEBURN SHIELD

Bathovalballer
Bathovalballer
11 February, 2020 12:30
Dai Young is real gentleman amongst the Prem coaches and a credit to the game. A man who helped pay some players' wages when things were going wrong for Wasps as well as not complaining about his lot even though he has lost a number of very good players. He just got on with the job. Sincerely hope he and his family are OK, assuming this absence appears temporary, and he is able to return to the club he has certainly done his best for over a number of years.

Adopted player 2019/20 Jonathan 'JJ' Joseph.

The Jink Joseph.

Adopted player 2018/19 Adopted player 2018/19 Semesa 'The Rock' Rokoduguni

warrenball
warrenball
11 February, 2020 13:16
Echo that BOB, it just may be an opportune time for him to take a break, the Premiership season is pretty much dead this year but hope it is nothing serious.

ballsout
ballsout
11 February, 2020 14:06
I'm surprised to hear people saying it sounds like a personal issue with him or his family.

To me it seems pretty obvious that after a couple of terrible seasons the club have decided to act and this is a way of smoothing out the transition.

Shame though, he's a good guy.

Bath Supporter Jack
Bath Supporter Jack
11 February, 2020 14:21
BO you take the biscuit!

Its a leave of absence!

If they wanted to effect a change why would they not do it at the end of the season when they had a replacement lined up.

This season of all seasons where it does not really matter if you are anywhere from 11 to 7, obviously 5th or 6th would be better and 4th or 3rd better still and of course 2nd or 1st the real goal.

gaz59
gaz59
11 February, 2020 15:06
Nothing that I can see in the BBC report that says "leave of absence" and the general tone is much more towards BO's take especially when you put the link with Howley into the mix

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/02/2020 17:08 by gaz59.

ballsout
ballsout
11 February, 2020 15:13
Quote:
Bath Supporter Jack
BO you take the biscuit!
Its a leave of absence!

If they wanted to effect a change why would they not do it at the end of the season when they had a replacement lined up.

You miss the point, as usual.

It's not a leave of absence. He's been shown the door. And they're doing it now because relegation isn't a concern and it gives them plenty of time to gauge interest and find a replacement.

This is literally the only place online where people think it's a temporary thing done for personal reasons. Really weird.

MESSAGES->author
hemington
11 February, 2020 15:49
You may be right but if he has been shown the door why don't they say so.

MESSAGES->author
hasta
11 February, 2020 16:03
If I haven't read on Twitter that it was a likely firing, I'd have assumed there was a personal/family issue. It's been phrased in an extremely odd way.

MESSAGES->author
hemington
11 February, 2020 16:11
Maybe he's been offered HC job at Bath.

Bathovalballer
Bathovalballer
11 February, 2020 16:12
I like to believe what people and employers say Hasta. I don't do twitter and I understand from what you wrote that peeps are saying/suggesting he has been fired? If so, its a great shame and very poor judgement IMV by Wasps after all that he has done for the club in recent times. I wonder what input came from Mr Dalliego, a director a pundit?

The Jink Joseph.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/02/2020 16:12 by Bathovalballer.

MESSAGES->author
hasta
11 February, 2020 17:08
Uncontestably a good man. Unfortunately results in the last season and a half have taken a serious nosedive. Having been there since 2011 it might be time for everyone to try something new.

MESSAGES->author
joethefanatic
11 February, 2020 17:14
I'm not surprised. The Wasps board gave been debating his departure date for at least 2 seasons now. Lovely guy but the Lima Sopoaga experiment has failed utterly and that seems to have been the last straw. As he's both DOR and HC, maybe they'll bring in an HC and shunt him further upstairs.

... IMHO, of course.

Now in Honolulu

BathMatt53
BathMatt53
11 February, 2020 17:38
Quote:
joethefanatic
the Lima Sopoaga experiment has failed utterly

Let that be a lesson to all those who think that shipping a 10 from the southern hemisphere is the answer to all the Bath woes.

[www.espn.co.uk]

The All Black's arrival raises questions over the future of current Wasps No. 10 Danny Cipriani, whose own deal expires this summer, but Young suggested the chance to sign Sopoaga was too good to pass up.

"When a world-class fly-half became available we jumped at the chance, as that doesn't happen very often," he said in a statement.

"Lima's track record with the All Blacks, Highlanders and Southland speaks for itself, and we believe he will be an extremely good fit both in our side and within the club.

[Adoptee 19 / 20: The High ball and counter attack meister, Tom Homer]

Bath Supporter Jack
Bath Supporter Jack
11 February, 2020 17:40
Given Howley is banned until the end of June it seems very odd to get rid of Dai Young now as Howley is unable to start.

Particularly odd after a stunning fight back last time out against Worcester.

If it is true it also seems a poor way of treating someone who has done so much for Wasps.

Ballsout at the risk of being even more wrong, as usual, how about Wasps are so financially stressed that they are trying to save every penny and Dai Young has said he will step back on nil pay?

Hymenoptera
Hymenoptera
11 February, 2020 18:16
Quote:
ballsout
Quote:
Bath Supporter Jack
BO you take the biscuit!
Its a leave of absence!

You miss the point, as usual.

It's not a leave of absence. He's been shown the door. And they're doing it now because relegation isn't a concern and it gives them plenty of time to gauge interest and find a replacement.

This is literally the only place online where people think it's a temporary thing done for personal reasons. Really weird.

Actually fella your literally the only person who thinks he's been showed the door, or should i say 'knows' he has been shown the door from your little cupboard and keyboard.

The club arent as $$ stressed as the media and some fans like to think. They have just purchased a new training base and will start renovations this year whilst continuing to pay near to the cap.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/02/2020 18:20 by Hymenoptera.

Old Bath Tub
Old Bath Tub
11 February, 2020 20:33
Off to Ospreys ? (Sm128)

Adopted Player 2018/19 Ross Batty
Adopted Player 2019/20 Jack Davies

"AN OUNCE OF ACTION IS WORTH A TON OF THEORY"
FRIEDRICH ENGELS

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked
11 February, 2020 21:57
Quote:
Old Bath Tub
Off to Ospreys ? (Sm128)

Are you (Sm156) or do you know something? (Sm85)

https://i.ibb.co/gjWyP09/Unknown-1-2.jpg

Beno Obano Age 25 years, Loosehead prop, 5ft 8ins 18st 12lbs 'Mauls are like Transformers' they change form to become more powerful!

MESSAGES->author
CoochieCoo
11 February, 2020 22:07
Rumoured on twitter along with a number of others including Delaggio!

https://pbflaa.by.files.1drv.com/y4mToRbTHGUTg0zWMi8LNeOlOmx4tZHsH3crYbASv0X_qWBw8j30S9KV-RiZIf_AWoOZXD7D3Rjy1tYRAKXykpZSHuOObVQBiovPpB6PnDUuBM6xlx2F1yOjKpEBmWUfMru3SCm255j3p-CnndC7J9ZUG29r1BtfFWHHj-MdzDOpzBuTRTPqNaco8ctf1svZyW0?width=106&height=160&cropmode=none
https://pbfkaa.by.files.1drv.com/y4mhxY1k8zrLn92LwcIYgSd1KcA6zBGX-Wgw2dNz8Us0xA71EhjMmL2tc-ggx7OlsBDECw8eAZ_oAWnNyh5doimzOEics5H87cuh5Q-Sb-ViPD6Pt6QUBneu5F2tlWLltGQZ8pd5qFmsZwbKB39L5Dki21gJfnsiaxLiCiuWPCZUjkXp4EttajzFAgcCl6YuDDF?width=160&height=107&cropmode=none

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/02/2020 22:11 by CoochieCoo.

ballsout
ballsout
11 February, 2020 23:40
Quote:
Hymenoptera
Actually fella your literally the only person who thinks he's been showed the door

That aged well.

MESSAGES->author
hasta
12 February, 2020 00:39
Sending someone to Coventry is cruel, sending them to the Ospreys is a human rights violation.

Old Bath Tub
Old Bath Tub
12 February, 2020 11:12
Quote:
shipwrecked
Quote:
Old Bath Tub
Off to Ospreys ? (Sm128)

Are you (Sm156) or do you know something? (Sm85)

Just rumours here and there (Sm100)

FRIEDRICH ENGELS

Old Bath Tub
Old Bath Tub
12 February, 2020 11:17
Quote:
hasta
Sending someone to Coventry is cruel, sending them to the Ospreys is a human rights violation.
Very good, like that although he did play for Swansea (Sm128)

FRIEDRICH ENGELS

Bath Supporter Jack
Bath Supporter Jack
12 February, 2020 11:31
Hymenoptera (hope I spelt that correctly)

Glad to hear Wasps are in better shape financially than I thought. Obviously the CVS funds of some 13m will come in handy.

I was always worried about the Retail Bond of 35m (?) and I recall the associated coupon of some 5% being repaid/refinanced.

Sure it bought a ton of "assets" but what is a stadium worth if it does not generate a surplus?

annie blackthorn
annie blackthorn
13 February, 2020 10:50
Why the dramas?

Wasps havn't done well for a few seasons. Perhaps Wasps board 'got to hear' of Dai's intention to return to the Land of his Fathers rather sooner than he hd hoped. Hence the strategic move. Voila.

Any news on rumoured new chapat Bath btw?

gaz59
gaz59
16 February, 2020 13:51
Fair bit of discussion from the BT pundits and no question that Dai has been effectively sacked and absence of trophies and poor results last 2 years being the trigger

Interesting point that had relegation been an issue then he probably would have stayed a while longer hoping that stability would be better but with that off the cards it was chance to rebuild longer term

BathMatt53
BathMatt53
16 February, 2020 13:58
Very strangely handled IMO.

Bathovalballer
Bathovalballer
16 February, 2020 17:41
People say they don't want rugby to go the way of football but with money and results being so important, such a move as removing a loyal, well regarded but unsuccessful results wise servant will inevitably become the norm. IMO, it is a very regrettable development and not what old traditionalists like me want to see.

The Jink Joseph.

DorsetBoy
Dorset Boy
16 February, 2020 18:42
I think Dai has looked tired and somewhat lost for the last 18 months or more and a change was needed for both parties.

Bath Supporter Jack
Bath Supporter Jack
17 February, 2020 15:59
Ballsout was completely right, right at the start of the thread, and I was completely wrong.

Just very surprised that it was decided to get rid of him at this point in the season!

BathMatt53
BathMatt53
17 February, 2020 16:01
Yes. Very odd to sack someone by making them 'step back from first-team duties for an unspecified period' though, so can understand why we all got the wrong end of the stick.

MESSAGES->author
hasta
17 February, 2020 16:03
I think the following things are true:

1. He's got a long-term contract and straight-up firing him would be very expensive.
2. The lack of relegation threat means they can go now and give whoever's coming in and the support staff the freedom to start putting new systems in place earlier.

Bath Supporter Jack
Bath Supporter Jack
17 February, 2020 16:06
Its rumoured to be Howley but he is suspended until the end of June so if that's true all the more odd....

gaz59
gaz59
17 February, 2020 16:34
In most situations like this you would assume it was because the incumbent DoR was a negative influence and had 'lost the dressing room' but by all accounts public Dai retains immense respect both personally and professionally

Alternatively the next bus is on its way but as BFJ points out the bookies' favourite Howley is suspended so what was to be gained from this action now

Unless it was Dai's decision along the lines of, if you haven't got the confidence in me for next season then you can't have the confidence in me for the rest of the season?

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked
17 February, 2020 16:45
Quote:
gaz59
...but as BFJ points out the bookies' ...

Gaz, don't mean to be pedantic but you slipped on a quite a few posts now. Its BSJ, he may well be friendly but its not Big Friendly Jack. Just saying 'cos I think BSJ is too polite to point it out.

https://i.ibb.co/gjWyP09/Unknown-1-2.jpg

Beno Obano Age 25 years, Loosehead prop, 5ft 8ins 18st 12lbs 'Mauls are like Transformers' they change form to become more powerful!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 17/02/2020 17:06 by shipwrecked.

gaz59
gaz59
17 February, 2020 17:02
Oh yeah, duh. Sorry BSJ, in my head it was fan and not supporter

Bath Supporter Jack
Bath Supporter Jack
17 February, 2020 17:49
(Sm22)

Bath Supporter Jack
Bath Supporter Jack
17 February, 2020 17:52
It reminds me of when we used to be visited by Big Dave from Bristol as a poster always going on about the Mighty Giant of the West who was slumbering and would arise........to be fair they have opened one eye fairly effectively under Pat Lam.

Anyway it transpired;

He was not Big

His name was not Dave

He was not from Bristol!

ballsout
ballsout
17 February, 2020 23:19
I always pictured Big Dave constantly refreshing this board every 60 seconds, waiting for anyone to dare utter a word against Bristol, then he (or many of this anonymous aliases) would jump in and defend the club's honour.

Ali1969
Ali1969
18 February, 2020 09:42
Very sad the way it has ended for Dai, a genuine real nice bloke. Sounds familiar though, it all started going wrong for him when players he had openly stated he wanted to keep were allowed to leave the most recent being our own Will Stuart. Ring any bells??

This season with the continued hemorrhaging of players he did as stated cut a frustrated and lost soul.

Wonder if Thomas Young will stay? My money is on NOT

Bathovalballer
Bathovalballer
18 February, 2020 10:28
Young junior's future may be decided by where Dad ends up, unless he chooses to go abroad.

The Jink Joseph.

nixworld2
nixworld2
18 February, 2020 10:55
Is it me or have Wasps still not announced anything officially on their website? Indicates to me that there might be some legal wrangling going on! Still weird though.

hantssabre
hantssabre
18 February, 2020 12:35
Now official

[www.bbc.co.uk]

ballsout
ballsout
18 February, 2020 13:12
Wasps are a bit of a shambles, he deserved better

MESSAGES->author
Rawce
18 February, 2020 14:27
From my uneducated position it looks to me like he's paying the price for their move to Coventry, subsequent financial concerns, training facilities promises, losing all the stars he played a part in developing and the consequential results on the pitch.

Any further insight from a Wasps perspective?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net