Latest news:

The COML Message Board

The place for discussion, debate and nonsense about Bath Rugby.

Join our new Facebook Group today!

New visitors please read the house rules before posting

Test your prognostications at our Prediction League

Championship Clubs funds slashed
Discussion started by CoochieCoo (IP Logged), 11 February, 2020 22:34
MESSAGES->author
CoochieCoo
11 February, 2020 22:34
...by 50% [www.theguardian.com]

https://pbflaa.by.files.1drv.com/y4mToRbTHGUTg0zWMi8LNeOlOmx4tZHsH3crYbASv0X_qWBw8j30S9KV-RiZIf_AWoOZXD7D3Rjy1tYRAKXykpZSHuOObVQBiovPpB6PnDUuBM6xlx2F1yOjKpEBmWUfMru3SCm255j3p-CnndC7J9ZUG29r1BtfFWHHj-MdzDOpzBuTRTPqNaco8ctf1svZyW0?width=106&height=160&cropmode=none
https://pbfkaa.by.files.1drv.com/y4mhxY1k8zrLn92LwcIYgSd1KcA6zBGX-Wgw2dNz8Us0xA71EhjMmL2tc-ggx7OlsBDECw8eAZ_oAWnNyh5doimzOEics5H87cuh5Q-Sb-ViPD6Pt6QUBneu5F2tlWLltGQZ8pd5qFmsZwbKB39L5Dki21gJfnsiaxLiCiuWPCZUjkXp4EttajzFAgcCl6YuDDF?width=160&height=107&cropmode=none

BathMatt53
BathMatt53
12 February, 2020 05:53
Wow. They should be doubling it, not halving it. That could destroy a load of clubs and drive promising players back to day jobs. It will be even harder for the players to make the jump up now.

[Adoptee 19 / 20: The High ball and counter attack meister, Tom Homer]

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked
12 February, 2020 07:49
A bizarre decision, what on earth is the rationale behind this. Simply cant be good for player development or English rugby. I don't understand?

https://i.ibb.co/gjWyP09/Unknown-1-2.jpg

Beno Obano Age 25 years, Loosehead prop, 5ft 8ins 18st 12lbs 'Mauls are like Transformers' they change form to become more powerful!

JFPC
JFPC
12 February, 2020 08:56
Quote:
shipwrecked
A bizarre decision, what on earth is the rationale behind this. Simply cant be good for player development or English rugby. I don't understand?

My best guess is it's a simple way of effectively ringfencing the premiership for free.

Adopted player 2019/20 Will Chudley.

TomReagan
TomReagan
12 February, 2020 09:24
You're no doubt right, but clubs are pretty arrogant if they believe their academies can provide all of the players they need. Plenty of good players with the potential to make the step up have meaningful, competitive games in the Championship. Can't see the A league replicating this. It's also marginalising rugby even further, but then I know I'm preaching to the converted so will get off my high horse and shut up!

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath
12 February, 2020 09:26
We probably don't have all the facts, but on the face of it you have to question if the RFU are fit for purpose.

redmix
redmix
12 February, 2020 09:36
Beeb reporting the the RFU set the Championship clubs certain deliverables in return for increased finding back in 2015. The RFU saying those deliverables haven't been met and therefore the funding gets cut.

I struggle with what the RFU strategy is for the professional game in England, in fact strategy for the game full stop. I wonder if this cut to the Championship is in isolation, so it would be good to hear what the bigger picture is. e.g. is the money freed up being used elsewhere? If it's simply cuts due to decreased revenue I would like to see more detail on what the Championship failed to deliver and whether the RFU enabled them to do it, or put barriers i the way so they couldn't.

Bath Supporter Jack
Bath Supporter Jack
12 February, 2020 10:00
I have to say in my view there should be cuts that could be made elsewhere in the mighty RFU's expenditure in front of this.

DanWiley
DanWiley
12 February, 2020 10:35
In fairness I think the RFU have been making cuts across a wide range of areas. Coach development staff, legacy funds etc. I suspect the answer is that they are just in hard times.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53
12 February, 2020 10:40
Cut the england players match day fee from £23k. I'm sure they would play for their country for half that. That was actually what was proposed a while back, but don't think it happened except for the RWC where they got £13k per match for the group stages split across the 31 players.

[www.theguardian.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2020 10:42 by BathMatt53.

redmix
redmix
12 February, 2020 10:45
Going to answer my own question...

The deliverable the RFU set the championship (as reported in today's Times) are:
Make steps towards becoming a financially viable league
Develop a league where more clubs have an ambition of winning promotion
Increase the number of English qualified players
Develop future England coaches and referees
Develop a community based system to grow the game

RFUs argument is that none of those things have been met. Their increased funding has gone to meeting debts, only 2 or 3 of the clubs could be promoted, the number of English qualified players has stayed at 80%, only one of the current England squad was developed in the Championship (Harry Williams) and they don't support a development pathway in their local communities. I guess you can't argue with that. The article also reports that PRL are also cutting their funding to the Championship, by half next season then stopping altogether the season after. Didn't know they did that in the first place.
Not sure what to make of all that, but does suggest the whole model of professional rugby below Premiership level needs reviewing and sorting out.

MESSAGES->author
woodpecker
12 February, 2020 10:51
It looks like there isn't enough money in professional rugby to support these two divisions.

If there was perhaps there could be a 2 division premiership, perhaps 20 teams, with more relegation/promotion between them?

Old Bath Tub
Old Bath Tub
12 February, 2020 11:30
RFU in financial trouble - too many overpaid executives! (Sm100)

Adopted Player 2018/19 Ross Batty
Adopted Player 2019/20 Jack Davies

"AN OUNCE OF ACTION IS WORTH A TON OF THEORY"
FRIEDRICH ENGELS

MESSAGES->author
Which Tyler
12 February, 2020 12:35
Or expected to make SFs, banked on making QFs of home world cup 2015.
As it was a home cup, they invested a fair penny to maximise returns.
Fell out in the pool stages, failed to realise those returns, had over-stretched themselves.

A man who cannot change his mind, cannot change anything
RAEBURN SHIELD

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2020 12:37 by Which Tyler.

B4thB4ck
B4thB4ck
12 February, 2020 12:53
That is very high and mighty of the RFU. Those deliverables read more like the aims the RFU should be responsible for rather than delegating the responsibility. I am sure the clubs are busy doing what clubs do.

The RFU are acting more like a charity funding board.

warrenball
warrenball
12 February, 2020 13:44
The very real downside of professionalism, the PRL run by the big clubs will only care about their own interests, as one would expect, but for the RFU to effectively abandon the smaller clubs is very worrying and you have to wonder how it can be improved if the RFU are going to essentially give total control of a ring fenced professional game to PRL.

Maybe it is just because it is a funny season, broken up by the WC and the fall out of Saracens relegation but I am really struggling to raise any enthusiasm about the next game against Worcester or indeed the rest of the season. I am beginning to think of many better ways of spending money than renewing the ST

TomReagan
TomReagan
12 February, 2020 14:45
A probably over-emotive reaction but I'd love to know the input/involvement of the Prem clubs in all of this, specifically Bath of course as I'd struggle to justify watching Prem rugby knowing tier 2 clubs have been allowed to go under to allow the Prem sides to continue spending money at an unsustainable level. I think Warrenball's weary disillusionment is totally understandable

BathMatt53
BathMatt53
12 February, 2020 14:50
Quote:
warrenball
The very real downside of professionalism, the PRL run by the big clubs will only care about their own interests, as one would expect, but for the RFU to effectively abandon the smaller clubs is very worrying and you have to wonder how it can be improved if the RFU are going to essentially give total control of a ring fenced professional game to PRL.
Maybe it is just because it is a funny season, broken up by the WC and the fall out of Saracens relegation but I am really struggling to raise any enthusiasm about the next game against Worcester or indeed the rest of the season. I am beginning to think of many better ways of spending money than renewing the ST

Totally agree. For the first time this season I have missed more games than I have been to. Being on BT sport doesn't help either when its cold and wet so maybe I'm just getting old. None of my mates without STs have had any issue getting hold of tickets for particular games. Another 3 years+ at the 'old' Rec queuing for 30 mins for a pee doesn't appeal.

Have enjoyed a couple of the ones I have been to though - Northampton etc. Will toss a coin when ST renewals come up again...

opti
Optimist
12 February, 2020 15:14
With the Premiership's huge squads, most of whom are increasing their proportion of England qualified players, and large Academies, the Championship isn't, in reality the second tier of English rugby.

It's home to players who have been released by Premiership Academies, and players who have worked their way up through a couple of National leagues, achieving Championship standard by adding experience to their native ability - and are therefore highly unlikely to take the next, massive step to the Premiership, let along international rugby.

There might be the odd Academy player who gets released, and then comes good. But on the whole, Premiership Clubs retain them long enough to know full well whether they are Premiership material or not.

There's also the BUCS league, which is now of a standard that very many of the players can move seamlessly into the Championship, and the vast majority of whom are 22 or under, and so still retain potential to improve substantially.

If Harry Williams is the only player to have moved from the Championship to England, then the BUCS league will match that figure as soon as Eddie swallows his pride over Dombrandt.

I've always hated the idea of ring-fencing - but it was always going to happen one way or another, and actually makes more and more sense.

The Championship should stop pretending it's an opportunity to reach the Premiership, and reposition itself as an alternative spectator option - £10 for a great standard of rugby (against £70 for Premiership slug-fests where the elite players quite often available anyway), maybe writing some of its own laws to promote running/attractive rugby, and offering good food, bee and old-school rugby values.

B4thB4ck
B4thB4ck
12 February, 2020 16:15
If the RFU targets were unachievable for clubs then the RFU should not punish them for failing.

TomReagan
TomReagan
12 February, 2020 16:21
To me, the number of players the Championship clubs provide for England isn't that relevant although I think having Prem clubs' academies as being the only way in to top level rugby isn't ideal. If there was a local Championship side I'd be very tempted to watch them for the reasons that you outline in your final paragraph Optimist. I just think, naively I'll accept, that this is about greed and self-interest. I think it's in rugby's interests to have a strong pyramid, and you only have to look at the rise of Exeter to see why Championship clubs have to be given the opportunity to reach the top. I'm ambiguous about ring fencing the Prem, but whether or not it happens, it shouldn't mean discarding 'the rest'. The fact that this withdrawal of funding for next season, ie in 6 months' time, is announced so late only compounds the sense of injustice the Championship clubs must be feeling.

gmem
Garym
12 February, 2020 17:05
PRL to setup and run the second tier as in France? Also I quite like the state,ent from the Newcastle chairman a couple of weeks ago when he said that the championship clubs have had years to invest but have not done so,.

TomReagan
TomReagan
12 February, 2020 17:30
Probably allowing my entrenched support for an underdog and perhaps clichéd view of the RFU as wealthy, posh, blazer and tie types to dictate my attitude, but not sure how you invest if you're just about getting by. How have Prem clubs invested exactly? Luckily for us, we're bankrolled by a very wealthy benefactor, as are several clubs, but I can't quite see how the experience of watching Prem rugby in 2020 is significantly different from 1994 when I got my first season ticket, although I'm happy to be put right on this!

warrenball
warrenball
12 February, 2020 18:44
First difference Tom is that it is a lot more expensive now than in 1994, even allowing for inflation, secondly you are now just a punter and no longer member of a club, but most importantly the rugby is nowhere near as much fun.

DanWiley
DanWiley
12 February, 2020 19:00
I'd stay the size and quality of stadiums has improved since 1994, elsewhere if not at the rec. I enjoy it on the TV now more than rugby special or sky. I can, and do, watch semi amateur rugby in loads of places, but there is an intensity lacking in such games.

Whilst nostalgia is nice, I think the match day experience has improved and there is evidence of investment.

The big problem I see is we're desperate to see the stars and that means wages drive investment and they've just ballooned. Think about the cap, it's easily doubled in recent memory, but broadly we see the same class of players. That's where the investment had gone.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked
12 February, 2020 19:05
Quote:
warrenball
....secondly you are now just a punter and no longer member of a club, but most importantly the rugby is nowhere near as much fun.

Strongly agree with this, living in Cardiff I go to watch Welsh championship clubs, Cross Keys, Ebbw Vale, Pontypridd as examples. Always get banter being English and at times in a group it can be an absolutely hilarious laugh! The Rec tends to be a tad more serious!

Beno Obano Age 25 years, Loosehead prop, 5ft 8ins 18st 12lbs 'Mauls are like Transformers' they change form to become more powerful!

TomReagan
TomReagan
12 February, 2020 19:23
Quote:
shipwrecked
Quote:
warrenball
....secondly you are now just a punter and no longer member of a club, but most importantly the rugby is nowhere near as much fun.

Strongly agree with this, living in Cardiff I go to watch Welsh championship clubs, Cross Keys, Ebbw Vale, Pontypridd as examples. Always get banter being English and at times in a group it can be an absolutely hilarious laugh! The Rec tends to be a tad more serious!

Was agreeing with you Warrenball. Prem clubs have loads more money yet to me the rugby is no better, and indeed often worse. If the Prem clubs can't dramatically improve 'the product', as they might see it, how can the Championship clubs be criticised for not providing sufficient investment?

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked
12 February, 2020 23:22
I don't get this 2015 target set by the RFU there are 90% of the clubs in the prem that are not in the black and they got a windfall from CVC.
They could have made a condition of investment by CVC that they support the championship.
As for improvement aren't Exeter an example of what can be done with players and coaches.
Cornish Pirates secured a £1.5 million investment 3-4 years ago and are funding a new stadium. L Irish didn't get into the prem without a penny or two. Newcastle are losing money but investing in their ground.
It all seems a bit of an excuse to me.
If this is what ring fencing looks like then I am firmly against it. Sport is about competition when that goes what is left?

cb2
cb2
13 February, 2020 07:29
Saracens?

BathMatt53
BathMatt53
13 February, 2020 07:49
Joe put this on the Sarries thread but I think it’s also relevant here.

[www.theguardian.com]

Will Stuart not pulling punches

[mobile.twitter.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 13/02/2020 07:50 by BathMatt53.

TomReagan
TomReagan
13 February, 2020 08:01
Well done Will! Needs more players to publicly oppose this.

B4thB4ck
B4thB4ck
13 February, 2020 08:08
It seems to me that if it was just a case of the RFU being broke this would be more understandable but because they are quoting missed targets which were outside the clubs remit and were unmeasurable anyway it seems crass and destructive.

A business looking to sponsor a sport would make a smart move to step in as heroes and make up the difference (as in the Allianz idea mentioned elsewhere).

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked
13 February, 2020 08:18
Quote:
BathMatt53
Joe put this on the Sarries thread but I think it’s also relevant here.
[www.theguardian.com]

Will Stuart not pulling punches

[mobile.twitter.com]

Good find Matt, it does feel like a hatchet job doesn't it. With the investment as an excuse to cut away the Championship.
How can Conor O’Shea build a rugby infrastructure in Italy then destroy the existing one in England?

The RFU are a disgrace, not the first time I've thought that I have to say!

warrenball
warrenball
13 February, 2020 08:47
I am nor sure I fully understand the relative relationship between Championship clubs/RFU/PRL, but it looks like this is a rather disagreeable response to the championship clubs rejecting ring fencing around the Premiership. What I don't understand is why the RFU would toady to the PRL in trying to force championship clubs to agree - how much pressure is coming from CVC?

The most worrying aspect is the suggestion is the increased funding was partly to allow championship clubs to offer players the sort of medical backup given to premiership players - I thought player safety was the paramount duty of the RFU, before everything else, if it is not it should be.

opti
Optimist
13 February, 2020 08:56
“ how much pressure is coming from CVC? ”

I think it’s safe to assume from here on that if something slightly sinister and objectionable happens in professional rugby in England, CVC’s fingerprints will be on the knife handle.

They aren’t going to profit from investing £200m in a business that currently loses £50m+ a year without stabbing a variety of parties in the back.

Deckchair
Deckchair
13 February, 2020 09:22
Draconian, unjust, hypocritical, heartless - all these and more, but I suspect the bottom line is that the Rugby model, like the cricket model, just cannot sustain the funding of over-bloated league structures, bigger playing squads and ever expanding professional sports pay packets in an era when terrace fan numbers have remained largely static and media contracts rule the coffers. There are just too many professional rugby teams to make the model viable. Cricket has hidden from this problem for years - its great having 18 first class counties and loyalties rule, but by failing to adapt to realities and cut the counties, cricket will only continue its inevitable slow decline. Perhaps the RFU is cutting deep now to avoid future atrophy for rugby. As fans of course we are horrified, but change has to come and it needs dealing with.

cb2
cb2
13 February, 2020 11:19
Putting all 6N rugby on Sky might give them a short term profit, but cricket has shown that you can lose in the long term with this approach. I am not sure how long term their plans are with rugby. The 6N on BBC keeps rugby in the mainstream.

opti
Optimist
13 February, 2020 11:29
Given Tory plans to hatchet the BBC, you have to wonder whether there will actually be any such thing as free-to-air TV by the end of BoJo's reign.

MESSAGES->author
hasta
13 February, 2020 11:32
While I'm not a fan of Tory plans for the Beeb, I wouldn't hold up their stale rugby coverage (compared to even ITV) as a defence.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53
13 February, 2020 11:35
Quote:
Optimist
Given Tory plans to hatchet the BBC, you have to wonder whether there will actually be any such thing as free-to-air TV by the end of BoJo's reign.

The BBC isn't free to air. In fact, rugby aside, I can't remember the last time I watched anything on the BBC and yet they still want £155 from me. I guess it covers my RUW podcasts on R5 which is all I get from them. although you don't need a licence to listen to the radio anyway. ..

I would happily have all rugby coverage move to BT sport / amazon prime / netflix.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 13/02/2020 11:36 by BathMatt53.

gaz59
gaz59
13 February, 2020 14:17
Championship now threatening to form a breakaway league with a £2.5 m salary cap just to add to Sarries difficulties

warrenball
warrenball
13 February, 2020 15:34
How would a championship cap work with the parachute payment given to the relegated team, is that not more than 2.5M?

BathMatt53
BathMatt53
13 February, 2020 15:40
Quote:
warrenball
How would a championship cap work with the parachute payment given to the relegated team, is that not more than 2.5M?

If you were paying £7m and had your players in contract, then had to go down to £2.5m and severance was counted, it would be impossible. Only really an option if all players have a relegation clause (which most don't I think in most teams).

B4thB4ck
B4thB4ck
13 February, 2020 16:07
The more you look at this the worse it is. Surely a re think is needed at the RFU.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked
13 February, 2020 16:15
True BB but Matts [www.theguardian.com] has a ring of truth about it. Its not a logical decision but a business one and part of a greater devious plan I suspect.

opti
Optimist
13 February, 2020 16:18
How the hell do Championship clubs afford to pay up to £2.5m? I'm guessing that most of them are well under £1m salary bills?

BathMatt53
BathMatt53
13 February, 2020 16:22
There was an article 2 years ago from one of the Champ DORs saying that the average salary in the division was less than Bristol were paying Luatua (£600k ish?).

TomReagan
TomReagan
13 February, 2020 18:47
[quote)

The BBC isn't free to air. In fact, rugby aside, I can't remember the last time I watched anything on the BBC and yet they still want £155 from me. I guess it covers my RUW podcasts on R5 which is all I get from them. although you don't need a licence to listen to the radio anyway. ..

I would happily have all rugby coverage move to BT sport / amazon prime / netflix.

For once I'll beg to differ Matt. For less than 50p a day I think BBC is well worth the money. There's too much of the usual stuff that should be left to commercial channels, but what little TV I watch is on the Beeb, particularly BBC4 and they've had a succession of good recent dramas. I know there's very little sport but that's inevitable as they can't compete with Sky and BT. Like many people I can't really afford either channel so am glad there are some sports events that are protected, albeit I can recognise that BBC 's rugby coverage is stale

BathMatt53
BathMatt53
13 February, 2020 18:53
I get both my BT sport free (with my mobile) and Amazon (wife’s prime account) so I can’t complain about those. If we could opt out of BBC TV I definitely would and spend the cash on something else.

MESSAGES->author
Which Tyler
13 February, 2020 19:18
If that's what you're worried about, pay for the licence fee from a different bank account - that'll make it free by your own logic.

Personally, I struggle to think of anything I spend money on that provides better value for money than the licence fee

RAEBURN SHIELD

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 13/02/2020 19:19 by Which Tyler.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53
13 February, 2020 19:33
Quote:
Which Tyler
If that's what you're worried about, pay for the licence fee from a different bank account - that'll make it free by your own logic.

Eh? I get BT sport genuinely free (the app). How is that a different bank account? Anyway, each to their own it sounds like you would subscribe.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked
13 February, 2020 19:34
The one thing a lot of people forget about the BBC is Radio, I'd be lost without Five Live for football commentaries, F1 Grand Prix, Wimbledon and most important of all Test Match Special.

Radio 4 for deeper news stories, brilliant quizzes, weather and maritime warnings. Not forgetting podcasts!

MESSAGES->author
Which Tyler
13 February, 2020 20:51
Quote:
BathMatt53
Eh? I get BT sport genuinely free (the app). How is that a different bank account? Anyway, each to their own it sounds like you would subscribe.
sorry, I was working on the assumption that you paid for your mobile contract - my mistake.
Didn't know they did free ones - have you got a contact for that please?

On the principal, that I still dopn't beleive you - exactly how much money to you give BT in exchange for your free stuff?

RAEBURN SHIELD

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/02/2020 08:58 by Which Tyler.

DanWiley
DanWiley
13 February, 2020 21:58
Having had Netflix, Amazon and, obviously, the BBC I find a great deal more that I want to watch coming from the BBC. I have dropped Netflix and would drop Amazon with much of a second thought but I like the "free" delivery.

I find the odd thing on the subscription channels, but I'm sure if end up paying way more to get a fraction of what I'd like if not fit the BBC.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked
13 February, 2020 23:09
Quote:
DanWiley
Having had Netflix, Amazon and, obviously, the BBC I find a great deal more that I want to watch coming from the BBC. I have dropped Netflix and would drop Amazon with much of a second thought but I like the "free" delivery.
I find the odd thing on the subscription channels, but I'm sure if end up paying way more to get a fraction of what I'd like if not fit the BBC.

Agree Dan, I've had Netflix for 6 months now, I've binged some ScFi, and a few films but have soon exhausted the content that interests me, its not topical, not British and the quality is standard. It may be racist but I'm fed up with the word 'gotton' an obsession with baseball and American football and the American country side. Have the not heard of Australia, Africa, Europe or Asia.

Amazon Prime is a little better but still many to the criticisms above apply.

B4thB4ck
B4thB4ck
14 February, 2020 00:02
Whilst other channels show rubbish grade reality TV the BBC still has Dr Brian Cox and Sir David Attenborough to provide the real reality of our world. Dramas like Silent Witness set the standard and as mentioned the radio programs are a quality above commercial shows, without the advertising.

warrenball
warrenball
14 February, 2020 07:23
There used to be a lot more programmes that I watched on BBC, but far fewer these days now that they decided to bore the life out of Question Time by finding only second string politicians and dull left wing comedians. Very few brains and certainly no wit or satirists. And of course Newsnight, run by the children, is no longer watchable. Still dear old radio 4, but the government will no doubt try to get that emasculated. Just leaves a few programmes on BBC4.

Don't even think about the money wasted on the Sounds app.

gmem
Garym
14 February, 2020 08:22
[quote shipwrecked][quote DanWiley]

Agree Dan, I've had Netflix for 6 months now, I've binged some ScFi, and a few films but have soon exhausted the content that interests me, its not topical, not British and the quality is standard. It may be racist but I'm fed up with the word 'gotton' an obsession with baseball and American football and the American country side. Have the not heard of Australia, Africa, Europe or Asia.

Amazon Prime is a little better but still many to the criticisms above apply.[/quote]

That’s the problem with progress of a language. Gotten is a more grammatically correct version of English, over time we have changed its form, while the Americans haven’t. I hate it, but my wife who did English at university puts me right every time I moan about it

redmix
redmix
14 February, 2020 16:49
I would really like to know what the playing budget is for Championship squads. A local National League one side near me was rumored to have a playing budget of £800k a couple of years ago. If true, that would suggest the Championship teams would have (much?) higher playing budgets.

B4thB4ck
B4thB4ck
14 February, 2020 21:55
Quote:
redmix
I would really like to know what the playing budget is for Championship squads. A local National League one side near me was rumored to have a playing budget of £800k a couple of years ago. If true, that would suggest the Championship teams would have (much?) higher playing budgets.

I think the point of a Championship cap would be avoid a wealthy club wildly overspending rather than setting a target for the majority of clubs to aspire to.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked
14 February, 2020 22:31
Quote:
B4thB4ck
Quote:
redmix

I think the point of a Championship cap would be avoid a wealthy club wildly overspending rather than setting a target for the majority of clubs to aspire to.

I think that has already happened! So yes probably right.

gaz59
gaz59
14 February, 2020 23:19
Quote:
B4thB4ck
Quote:
redmix

You mean like a club like Saracens 😄😥😉🤪

redmix
redmix
15 February, 2020 11:06
It was a question of curiosity more than setting limits. I am genuinely interested in how much a club has to spend to survive in the Championship.

TomReagan
TomReagan
15 February, 2020 11:36
I don't know how to hyperlink the article, but Robert Kitson has written a good piece in today's Guardian...

MESSAGES->author
Which Tyler
15 February, 2020 11:57
Blueprint for the future of the Champ, drawn up by Pirates, Coventry, Ealing and Scottish: [cornish-pirates.com]

RAEBURN SHIELD

BathMatt53
BathMatt53
17 February, 2020 10:49
Interesting views from someone in there.

[www.theguardian.com]

“There is a feeling, particularly in the Championship, of whether it is all worth it,” says Blanchet. “I became frustrated with rugby. I was giving up so much of my body, my mind and emotion. Most Championship players are on significantly less than people may think.

“Personally, I just didn’t feel I was being properly remunerated. When players are earning no more than £20,000 to £30,000 and start getting injuries, questions begin coming into your head.”

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 17/02/2020 10:51 by BathMatt53.

opti
Optimist
17 February, 2020 10:58
And today's take in the Guardian

But what sticks out for me is:

"Ealing have had a remarkable rise over the past two decades. Backed by the Trailfinders’ founder, Mike Gooley, who has invested around £25m, they have climbed from amateur London leagues to the verge of England’s top flight, which makes the cuts harder to take."

In other words - the RFU has been chucking a load of money at a load of loss-making enterprises that are aspiring to be in a League where they will make even more losses and more than likely fail to survive. The only thing 'remarkable' about Ealing's rise is that someone is willing to chuck 25 million quid at it.

Brian Moore in The Telegraph is typically pithy and to the point: "There are other parts of the English game that have better claims for funding."

gaz59
gaz59
17 February, 2020 11:08
Quote:
Which Tyler
Blueprint for the future of the Champ, drawn up by Pirates, Coventry, Ealing and Scottish: [cornish-pirates.com]

A lot of consultancy time and no doubt money gone into producing that document and does set out some strong arguments for developing this tier of rugby even if you disagree with their proposed structure

MESSAGES->author
hasta
17 February, 2020 11:08
Ealing has great clubhouse and pitch facilities (my oldest has just started playing u6s there). It is in no way ready for Premiership rugby.

DanWiley
DanWiley
17 February, 2020 11:28
in fairness the RFU chuck money at prem clubs and they also lose money by and large.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked
17 February, 2020 11:32
Wasn't there a proposal for Premiership clubs to 'buddy' with Championship clubs? Is that dead, if not has anyone with better knowldge of the Championship any idea who Bath would tie up with?

BathMatt53
BathMatt53
17 February, 2020 11:37
Quote:
shipwrecked
Wasn't there a proposal for Premiership clubs to 'buddy' with Championship clubs? Is that dead, if not has anyone with better knowldge of the Championship any idea who Bath would tie up with?

It did seem to be Leeds but now sending a few to places like Ealing (Levi D) and Will Britton (Doncaster) with the Leeds train wreck this season - averaging about 50 points against so far.

SimonG19
SimonG19
17 February, 2020 12:41
Quote:
shipwrecked

Saracens?

(Someone had to say it!)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net