Latest news:

The COML Message Board

The place for discussion, debate and nonsense about Bath Rugby.

Join our new Facebook Group today!

New visitors please read the house rules before posting

Test your prognostications at our Prediction League

Where have all the gainsayers gone?
Discussion started by nick holder (IP Logged), 24 February, 2020 14:46
nick holder
nick holder
24 February, 2020 14:46
Ages since my last post but still reading avidly. Just wondered where all the gainsayers about Hooper and prophets of doom have gone?
At the halfway point of the season, only Exeter have won more prem matches than us, which not many would have predicted. A 64% win figure for our "terrible" DOR.
And was have plenty of young England qualified talent coming through.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53
24 February, 2020 14:57
I think that the majority on this site said that they would give him some time before making a judgement? In a couple of months time we could be top 2 or close to bottom. If the improvements continue (and the building for next season looks good) it would be hard to say he hasn't been a success - if we go back to how we played in the first few games and end up with missing pieces in key positions then the opposite would be true...

[Adoptee 19 / 20: The High ball and counter attack meister, Tom Homer]

B4thB4ck
B4thB4ck
24 February, 2020 15:01
They are waiting in the sidelines.

I supported Hoopers appointment but wanted a HC.

bobbybathhead
Rob
24 February, 2020 15:08
I wasn't happy with Hooper. So far I'm being proved wrong. Happy to continue to be proved wrong!

MESSAGES->author
Clarkey3k
24 February, 2020 15:44
Many had concerns about Hoops for different reasons, justifiably so in some instances e.g. lack of experience, yes man for Bruce C amongst others. You are right to point to how well he/they have done at the half way stage in the Prem and I suspect all supporters are pleased, if not surprised, with this position. I think Hats has been a key appointment and we have/are recruiting well this season. We are not the Bath of old [yet] but seem to be making progress on the field which many have been craving for years. I haven't heard a peep out of Bruce Craig for a long time and TMcD has also disappeared from public view. Perhaps Hoops has their confidence, he is starting to build mine...

Adopted players: 2019/20 T Faletau; [19] M V Vuuren; [18] T Faletau; [17] D Denton; [16] H. Agulla; [15] L Houston; [14] W Spencer; [13] F. Louw

Family . Community . Nation - [sdp.org.uk]

MESSAGES->author
hemington
24 February, 2020 15:56
Don't worry Mr Holder - one loss and they'll all come out again, two losses and Mr Hooper will be on his bike!!

Old Bath Tub
Old Bath Tub
24 February, 2020 16:26
Quote:
BathMatt53
I think that the majority on this site said that they would give him some time before making a judgement? In a couple of months time we could be top 2 or close to bottom. If the improvements continue (and the building for next season looks good) it would be hard to say he hasn't been a success - if we go back to how we played in the first few games and end up with missing pieces in key positions then the opposite would be true...

Agree, I will give my assessment at the end of the season.

Adopted Player 2018/19 Ross Batty
Adopted Player 2019/20 Jack Davies

"AN OUNCE OF ACTION IS WORTH A TON OF THEORY"
FRIEDRICH ENGELS

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath
24 February, 2020 16:43
Didn't think he was the right man for the job at the start of the season and haven't changed my opinion, although if Bath finish top 4 this season then that would probably prove me wrong.

DanWiley
DanWiley
24 February, 2020 17:14
We're basically in 6th, if you account for sarries, and a couple of defeats WOULD make this a very ordinary season, in which we'll have played some very ordinary rugby.

badger1664
badger1664
24 February, 2020 17:19
I haven't gone anywhere. But I remain to be convinced that this was not a risky gamble at best. There's a strange atmosphere in the premiership this season and so it is hard to draw concrete conclusions. I do wonder though, if the Sarries debacle has taken some of the fight, some of the urgency out of some games. I'll probably get shot down for that . As I said I was/am not a 100% supporter of Hooper as DOR , but I am only too pleased to be proved wrong. I'm not sure that will be this season though.

MESSAGES->author
joethefanatic
24 February, 2020 17:20
Quote:
DanWiley
We're basically in 6th, if you account for sarries, and a couple of defeats WOULD make this a very ordinary season, in which we'll have played some very ordinary rugby.

Which is what we generally play in the winter. We're a better firm pitch team which is why we regularly ascend from "mid-table mediocrity" to Top 6 at the end of the season.

I think this is *already* a successful season and it could get a lot better.

... IMHO, of course.

Now in Honolulu

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath
24 February, 2020 17:24
Quote:
joethefanatic

Not a criticism so need to get all defensive, but why do you think it's already successful?

MESSAGES->author
hemington
24 February, 2020 17:50
Because we've had several victories and that has kept this site a bit more positive?

MESSAGES->author
woodpecker
24 February, 2020 18:05
For me this season has lost any sense of importance. I dont know if its just the Sarries thing i.e. there is effectively no relegation or the fact that Exeter look unassailable. Its strange its almost like its been cancelled.

I can't say I was, or am enthusiastic about Hooper, but at least he has a low/no pressure season to find his feet.

MESSAGES->author
CoochieCoo
24 February, 2020 18:14
Quote:
Woodpecker
I can't say I was, or am enthusiastic about Hooper, but at least he has a low/no pressure season to find his feet.

I bet if we were languishing where tiggers are the low/no pressure season would be out of the window on this site quicker than you can say Hooper Out!

https://pbflaa.by.files.1drv.com/y4mToRbTHGUTg0zWMi8LNeOlOmx4tZHsH3crYbASv0X_qWBw8j30S9KV-RiZIf_AWoOZXD7D3Rjy1tYRAKXykpZSHuOObVQBiovPpB6PnDUuBM6xlx2F1yOjKpEBmWUfMru3SCm255j3p-CnndC7J9ZUG29r1BtfFWHHj-MdzDOpzBuTRTPqNaco8ctf1svZyW0?width=106&height=160&cropmode=none
https://pbfkaa.by.files.1drv.com/y4mhxY1k8zrLn92LwcIYgSd1KcA6zBGX-Wgw2dNz8Us0xA71EhjMmL2tc-ggx7OlsBDECw8eAZ_oAWnNyh5doimzOEics5H87cuh5Q-Sb-ViPD6Pt6QUBneu5F2tlWLltGQZ8pd5qFmsZwbKB39L5Dki21gJfnsiaxLiCiuWPCZUjkXp4EttajzFAgcCl6YuDDF?width=160&height=107&cropmode=none

MESSAGES->author
woodpecker
24 February, 2020 18:28
Quote:
CoochieCoo
Quote:
Woodpecker

I bet if we were languishing where tiggers are the low/no pressure season would be out of the window on this site quicker than you can say Hooper Out!

Absolutely, but another reason why the season is so low pressure. The 'best team' are going to be relegated for cheating, the second 'best' team are going to win and the most consistent team of the professional era are rubbish and are going to come last.

Hooper can put his slippers on and sit in his armchair.

Bathovalballer
Bathovalballer
24 February, 2020 18:40
Still say Mr Hooper maybe a nice guy, but as he has no coaching qualifications, no track record of running a successful team, not the most successful leader, etc. he was totally unqualified for the position he now holds. Whether or not we end the season in the higher ends of the league or not, still does mean he is the best man for the job. I blame those who appointed him not Mr Hooper personally.

Time (and a trophy or two) might mean I will change my mind about his abilities and I sincerely hope, for the sake of the club and its long suffering supporters, he does manage to prove everyone and those rugby people who have a greater understanding than me, wrong. I will give him his due, results and playing standards are much better than I expected. We shall see come the season end.

Adopted player 2019/20 Jonathan 'JJ' Joseph.

The Jink Joseph.

Adopted player 2018/19 Adopted player 2018/19 Semesa 'The Rock' Rokoduguni

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked
24 February, 2020 18:43
I take it all those who see this as a 'low pressure season' are against ring fencing then because that is what it would become if it is adopted.

Is this a preview of the premiership in the future?

https://i.ibb.co/gjWyP09/Unknown-1-2.jpg

Beno Obano Age 25 years, Loosehead prop, 5ft 8ins 18st 12lbs 'Mauls are like Transformers' they change form to become more powerful!

MESSAGES->author
CoochieCoo
24 February, 2020 18:53
Believe me Hoops is not the slippers and armchair type low/ no season pressure or not. I expect he is studying videos of our next opponents and plotting how to exploit their weaknesses as we speak!

https://pbflaa.by.files.1drv.com/y4mToRbTHGUTg0zWMi8LNeOlOmx4tZHsH3crYbASv0X_qWBw8j30S9KV-RiZIf_AWoOZXD7D3Rjy1tYRAKXykpZSHuOObVQBiovPpB6PnDUuBM6xlx2F1yOjKpEBmWUfMru3SCm255j3p-CnndC7J9ZUG29r1BtfFWHHj-MdzDOpzBuTRTPqNaco8ctf1svZyW0?width=106&height=160&cropmode=none
https://pbfkaa.by.files.1drv.com/y4mhxY1k8zrLn92LwcIYgSd1KcA6zBGX-Wgw2dNz8Us0xA71EhjMmL2tc-ggx7OlsBDECw8eAZ_oAWnNyh5doimzOEics5H87cuh5Q-Sb-ViPD6Pt6QUBneu5F2tlWLltGQZ8pd5qFmsZwbKB39L5Dki21gJfnsiaxLiCiuWPCZUjkXp4EttajzFAgcCl6YuDDF?width=160&height=107&cropmode=none

DanWiley
DanWiley
24 February, 2020 19:11
I wish he'd tell the players, we don't look like a side that has great insight into how to pressurise the teams we are playing.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53
24 February, 2020 19:26
Quote:
DanWiley
I wish he'd tell the players, we don't look like a side that has great insight into how to pressurise the teams we are playing.
Bath have more wins in the league than Exe and Sarries so I think they are doing OK - it canít be all luck.

MESSAGES->author
joethefanatic
24 February, 2020 19:39
Quote:
OutsideBath
Quote:
joethefanatic

Not a criticism so need to get all defensive, but why do you think it's already successful?

We have a rookie coaching team with arguably the most important member of whom did not arrive until the RWC. This was taking a big risk which could have backfired. But it didn't and that is a big credit to Hoops.

We have a pack worth the name. The recruitment of the new props was excellent, they've bedded in well, we haven't missed Henry or Nathan and Will Stuart has turned very rapidly into a capped international. That's a big success.

We're winning tight games that last year we would have lost. That is a huge improvement.

We haven't really seen our backs yet. Ant, JJ, Ruaridh and JC4 have either been injured or absent. I expect Dempsey to start showing his mettle once the pitches dry out a bit.

I don't expect us to win the Prem or the Heine this season (just as well considering) but, if we continue the constant improvement we are seeing, we will give ourselves a chance.

... IMHO, of course.

Now in Honolulu

opti
Optimist
24 February, 2020 21:18
Get into the top 4, and Obano, Dunn, Stuart, McNally, Ewels, Underhill, Faletau, Louw, Chudley, Priestland, Willison, Joseph, Coka, Watson, Ruaridh could scare anyone.

Yellow Hammer
Yellow Hammer
24 February, 2020 21:28
Whilst we are defiantly not perfect, things are much better than they were.

We have the second best win loss ratio inn the prem. This weekend we won a game we could easily have lost, with a squad missing BO, TD, WS, CE, SU, TF, AW, JJ, JC. We appear to have a much improved recruitment policy. We have some exciting talent coming out of our academy.

Its my gut feeling that we have some very good times on the horizon. I have been a keen supporter for about 25 years, most of that time we have done plenty of coming second. i can't remember many times when I have felt such a feeling of anticipation.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53
24 February, 2020 22:11
Quote:
Optimist
Get into the top 4, and Obano, Dunn, Stuart, McNally, Ewels, Underhill, Faletau, Louw, Chudley, Priestland, Willison, Joseph, Coka, Watson, Ruaridh could scare anyone.

The fact that I would have Ellis, Stooke and possibly even new boy Matavesi in there instead of a couple of your choices is very positive and a lovely Ďproblemí to have.

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer
25 February, 2020 07:16
Quote:
Bathovalballer
Still say Mr Hooper maybe a nice guy, but as he has no coaching qualifications, no track record of running a successful team, not the most successful leader, etc. he was totally unqualified for the position he now holds. Whether or not we end the season in the higher ends of the league or not, still does mean he is the best man for the job. I blame those who appointed him not Mr Hooper personally.

That is sounding a less & less coherent a view as the season progresses. It is just as well that Iíll informed supporters donít have a say in running this club.

copester
copester
25 February, 2020 07:50
Quote:
Bath Hammer
Quote:
Bathovalballer

That is sounding a less & less coherent a view as the season progresses. It is just as well that Iíll informed supporters donít have a say in running this club.

Agreed, I like the way Boyd, Ackermann and Lamb are continually talked up in the press for their current achievements whilst we sit in the pack under the radar so to speak. Yes this is probably because of their style of play but if we become the team no one wants to play then I'm happy enough if we keep winning.
Hooper said from the start that the pack were his focus and lets be honest, they are probably in the top 3 in that area this season.
You can see the mental fragility from previous seasons seems to be addressed, Hooper must of had some affect?. Hes doing ok imo.

adopted player 19/20. Max Wright
18/19. Cooper Vuna.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53
25 February, 2020 08:17
The premiership is only half way through a very disrupted season. Will be interesting to see how Bath gets on after the 6N is finished.

(Edit: Add Rhys Webb to that! SW will be popping the champagne at 8:21am!!)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 25/02/2020 08:22 by BathMatt53.

gaz59
gaz59
25 February, 2020 08:22
Adding to Opti's point that with the firmer, drier pitch you put Obano, Underhill, JJ, Ant and co back in the team and now with Rhys Webb and suddenly we look a completely different proposition

opti
Optimist
25 February, 2020 08:48
The better the 9, the better the 10. This will do Priestland the world of good. Iíd still prefer to see Burns there, but that ship has sailed, and with Matavesi/Willison effectively an all-new centre partnership our back line suddenly has a completely different feel.

MESSAGES->author
woodpecker
25 February, 2020 09:01
Quote:
CoochieCoo
Believe me Hoops is not the slippers and armchair type low/ no season pressure or not. I expect he is studying videos of our next opponents and plotting how to exploit their weaknesses as we speak!

OK then, he is studying and plotting...whilst sitting in his armchair with his slippers on

DorsetBoy
Dorset Boy
25 February, 2020 09:43
Quote:
woodpecker
Quote:
CoochieCoo

OK then, he is studying and plotting...whilst sitting in his armchair with his slippers on

and stroking a long haired white cat?

redmix
redmix
25 February, 2020 09:53
Quote:
woodpecker

It's not Hoops I can see in an arm chair with his slippers on. A certain other senior person involved with the club, arm chair, slippers, and stroking a white cat. "So Mr Hooper, you want to run the team do you, ha, ha, ha".

Not intended to be serious

gaz59
gaz59
25 February, 2020 09:53
Quote:
Optimist
The better the 9, the better the 10. This will do Priestland the world of good. Iíd still prefer to see Burns there, but that ship has sailed, and with Matavesi/Willison effectively an all-new centre partnership our back line suddenly has a completely different feel.

Sure does and you add Rhys Webb to a back row of Underhill, Falatau and Louw and wow, that offers a completely different attacking threat

dr.bath1865
dr.bath1865
25 February, 2020 10:00
One thing it seems hard to be negative on is our recruitment. For seasons, it seems like we've been muddled in both the players we've signed and the players we've let go.

The retention of the likes of Underhill and JJ, coupled with the creative acquisition of Matevasi, Webb and Redpath, gives me the sense that the guys behind the scenes are doing something very right, both in structuring the squad and selling the Bath proposition.

Homer will be a disappointment if he chooses to move on but, on the whole, I feel a lot more positive about the makeup of the squad going into the end of this season and starting next. That might not translate to silverware just yet, but it's giving me a nice warm fuzzy feeling!

gaz59
gaz59
25 February, 2020 10:08
Jeez, optimism, positivity and hope abound on ere. Whatever next?

Bathovalballer
Bathovalballer
25 February, 2020 10:13
The Webb announcement has even tinged my optimism. I acknowledge the improvements but we don't display them for a full 80 minutes and really finish sides off like the best teams do. Hopefully that will improve and we can start scoring more tries with Mr Webb in the van.

The Jink Joseph.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked
25 February, 2020 10:30
Quote:
BathMatt53
The premiership is only half way through a very disrupted season. Will be interesting to see how Bath gets on after the 6N is finished.
(Edit: Add Rhys Webb to that! SW will be popping the champagne at 8:21am!!)

OMG! Absolutely elated, short term but can't wait to see the difference! Be interesting to see if it restores Rhys Priestland to his best as well!

https://media.giphy.com/media/l49JVcl2ggNfCnsHu/giphy.gif

Sorry about being late Matt, I was on the phone to Bruce about stealing Radradra from Brisl.

Beno Obano Age 25 years, Loosehead prop, 5ft 8ins 18st 12lbs 'Mauls are like Transformers' they change form to become more powerful!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 25/02/2020 10:31 by shipwrecked.

opti
Optimist
25 February, 2020 10:34
I knew there was something bothering me about this thread. Shouldn't the title refer to 'naysayers'?

warrenball
warrenball
25 February, 2020 10:53
I agree shipwrecked ring fencing and Saracens have taken most of the fizz out of the season, but we are doing better than I had expected. Will be interesting to see if we can get top four finish.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53
25 February, 2020 10:56
Quote:
Optimist
I knew there was something bothering me about this thread. Shouldn't the title refer to 'naysayers'?

gainsayer
Noun
(plural gainsayers)

1. One who contradicts or denies what is alleged; an opposer.
2. A person who gainsays others; a disagreeable person.

As nouns the difference between naysayer and gainsayer is that naysayer is one who consistently denies, criticizes, or doubts; a detractor while gainsayer is one who contradicts or denies what is alleged; an opposer.

I think that either would have been fairly accurate in this case.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 25/02/2020 10:57 by BathMatt53.

opti
Optimist
25 February, 2020 10:58
Fair play BathMatt!

P G Tips
P G Tips
25 February, 2020 11:00
Indeed Matt. Perhaps naysayer is closer, but both will do.

Before looking up the definitions I thought 'naysayer" was intended -but I knew what the OP meant anyway!

PG

P G Tips
P G Tips
25 February, 2020 11:06
Quote:
Bathovalballer
. I acknowledge the improvements but we don't display them for a full 80 minutes and really finish sides off like the best teams do.

Truly BoB?

Your usual complaint is that we don't! ("really finish sides off")

PG

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked
25 February, 2020 11:06
Nick Holder, BathMatt = Wordsmiths!

BathMatt53
BathMatt53
25 February, 2020 11:24
to be fair I had no idea, so googled it whilst my tea was brewing.

MESSAGES->author
hasta
25 February, 2020 11:57
If someone can dry the pitch out, even better!

Danchinho
Danchinho
25 February, 2020 23:26
You have to give the guy at least 2 years. End of next season we'll have a better idea of what he's about. We have more of an identity already than we ever did under TB. I'd say that's positive.

For all the flack posters like BO or BoB get, I find threads started with an OP like this one far more divisive.

I probably don't know what i'm talking about.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked
25 February, 2020 23:48
But its got nothing to do with how divisive, controversial or radical the thread topic is. It has everything to do with how it is said.
Its simply about respect for the club, coaches, players and those posting.

Banachek
Banachek
26 February, 2020 05:37
There's nothing wrong with a bit of gainsaying or naysaying , but it's the continual harping on about the negatives and saying the same thing over and over. I think that's what is a little annoying.

I think we all basically had some reservations about Hoops and the coaching set up , some had made up their minds almost before a ball was passed or indeed dropped... (due to lack of experience/coaching ect) but most were seeing how it goes before demanding change (well on here anyway), but it transpires mainly due to a great pack we are in a good position, not champagne rugby but once/if the backs can be brought into the game, we will have a formidable team able to give anyone in europe a game IMHO. That's not a bad position to be going forward with.

elegia
elegia
26 February, 2020 08:54
Quote:
CoochieCoo
Believe me Hoops is not the slippers and armchair type low/ no season pressure or not. I expect he is studying videos of our next opponents

he's a rugby fan, of course he's watching videos of your next opponents, purring at the skills on display...

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Music/Pix/pictures/2011/7/13/1310579502636/New-Order-left-to-right-G-007.jpg

opti
Optimist
26 February, 2020 10:45
Will be interesting to see at what point bo emerges from the purdah to which he retreats whenever Bath win a game. His entire premise has been that it's basically impossible for Bath to be any good because the Club is so badly run, the culture is absolutely terrible and the players can't stand each other and/or the management.

We've all had our frustrations with aspects of our play, with individual players, with performances, results, progress. But I don't think anyone else on here has based their entire schtick on the immutable belief that success is impossible under the current set-up.

Of course, we haven't won anything yet. But you'd have to be pretty curmudgeonly to dismiss the evidence that Hooper has built some solid foundations and the Club is giving itself a good chance of future success.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53
26 February, 2020 11:01
Its worse than that Opti - that's the third Gallagher Premiership win in a row. Things can only get better...

MESSAGES->author
Clarkey3k
26 February, 2020 11:06
It seems to me BO plays away [other SN team boards] when Bath win and returns home [to COML] when we lose...

Adopted players: 2019/20 T Faletau; [19] M V Vuuren; [18] T Faletau; [17] D Denton; [16] H. Agulla; [15] L Houston; [14] W Spencer; [13] F. Louw

dr.bath1865
dr.bath1865
26 February, 2020 11:09
I must say, I'm really enjoying the new BoB. Bravo to him.

by
by
27 February, 2020 18:16
I doubted Hooper's experience, but looks like the club is moving in a positive direction.

I do think that we've been fairly lucky so far this year with injuries and lack of competition. We've weathered the storm for the first half of the season and now we've got a very strong team (hopefully) coming back in time for the run in.

MESSAGES->author
hasta
27 February, 2020 21:20
We've missed Catt, Thomas, Cokanasiga for the whole season so far and Mercer, Watson, Willison, Ewels, Faletau, Green for significant chunks, so not sure quite how lucky we've been!

BathMatt53
BathMatt53
27 February, 2020 22:03
Quins have had about 25 out. This Season for Bath is nothing compared to the last couple of seasons.

Credit to the new conditioning and medical teams and I wonder if they have reduced the contact in training. Sam U was saying that they do very little contact in the week and I struggle to think of too many occurrences of training injuries this year. Loads in previous years.

by
by
27 February, 2020 22:42
Quote:
hasta
We've missed Catt, Thomas, Cokanasiga for the whole season so far and Mercer, Watson, Willison, Ewels, Faletau, Green for significant chunks, so not sure quite how lucky we've been!

Besides 8, we've not had multiple longterm injuries in the same position. Similarly players haven't been in and out of the team with little niggles. I'd say for the most part we've manage to field the around 12-15 regularly players, particularly in the tight 5, and at 9 and 10.

I'd argue there was lengthly periods in the past 4-5 seasons where every week was a new combination of players.

MESSAGES->author
hasta
27 February, 2020 22:51
If you go by salary spend, I'm not sure how unequal it is.

But! Generally I agree, I think we've been doing better this season.

annie blackthorn
annie blackthorn
27 February, 2020 22:55
Havnt read every single sentence of the above, but since the beginning of the season, Hatley has come on board and wasn't there mention of a Mr Schmidt being on the fringes as well. Anyway, whatever the reason for the recent success, I don't care as long as Bath win with style, the players play as a team and we will have to find something/someone else to find fault with. LOL!

warrenball
warrenball
28 February, 2020 08:04
We are half way through this very odd season, the results so far have been much better than expected, but that was a very low bar, so congratulations to the coaches and players for winning tight matches and showing far more resilience than in previous seasons.

However we have not taken any team apart and it will be interesting to see, if the rain ever stops, how we can play on a hard surface. We always used to come good as the weather improved but there are a lot of other teams with good running skills, if we can also win playing that type of rugby then we will all be very happy. Good so far but Sandy Park will give us a better idea of how far we have come.

Bathovalballer
Bathovalballer
28 February, 2020 08:19
If Harry Williams is still away with England, our chances should be improved at Exeter. Their other tight heads are the Argentinian and young Street who I also believe isn't fit at the moment. Williams has been the cornerstone of their recent wins and without him some of their forward drive and togetherness will be negated.

Mind you their two South African signings this season, Kirstan and Vermeulan have been outstanding and will need to be kept under control.

As people say, this fixture will show what improvements we have attained, or not! It will certainly show up any deficiencies.

The Jink Joseph.

P G Tips
P G Tips
28 February, 2020 08:28
Quote:
warrenball

However we have not taken any team apart and it will be interesting to see, if the rain ever stops, how we can play on a hard surface. .

One game only WB - but don't you think away against L Irish showed at least some of what you're asking for?

I think achieving that consistently would satisfy many an stand a s a good building block for more progress.

PG

BathMatt53
BathMatt53
28 February, 2020 08:48
Iím not sure we can compare any performances pre 16th January with those now. Webb, Willison and Matavesi mean that half of that backline has been refreshed with playmakers. Excited to see how the 2nd half of the season goes.

Bathovalballer
Bathovalballer
28 February, 2020 09:11
Willison and Matavesi have made a huge difference IMO. Defence is very solid and we have seen more go forward, off loading and passing, putting people into space than we have done all season. Let's hope it continues and we build more attacks on this combination.

The Jink Joseph.

warrenball
warrenball
28 February, 2020 09:49
I fear the good grounds may not come soon enough for Freddy Burns, I would like to see him playing with a decent scrum half, we need his invention if we are to unlock defences as good as Exeter or I can see us just bashing up against their organised defence and not getting through.

opti
Optimist
28 February, 2020 10:20
Even i've given up promoting Burns to start. It doesn't even matter much now if you are for/against him. He has had so little meaningful game time at 10, that it would take him 4-5 games to get into any rhythm and form. If he got picked now, he would play a bit rusty, try too hard. He may even be struggling to pick up a contract elsewhere because he has so little recent form to sell. I'd love it if he got a run of games and stayed on at Bath, but i can't see it.

gaz59
gaz59
28 February, 2020 10:23
+1 Opti

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer
28 February, 2020 10:34
Yes it just hasnít worked out for him or us. There is probably blame on both sides & I think that Toulouse debacle really took its toll. Too late now I fear to put the clock back. I hope he can find a new club & prosper as he has a lot of talent.

opti
Optimist
28 February, 2020 11:04
Quote:
Bath Hammer
I think that Toulouse debacle really took its toll.

That was in October 2018. Burns responded by turning in a man of the match performance against Wasps in the December, helping us beat Tigers the following week and then guiding us to a winning lead against Worcester, at which point Rhys came on and closed the game out so effectively that we lost. Since then Burns has barely had a look in.

Bath Supporter Jack
Bath Supporter Jack
28 February, 2020 11:42
Keep Burns and start on Sunday with him starting

MESSAGES->author
hasta
28 February, 2020 11:59
The problem I've got with all the criticisms of Burns is that Priestland makes just as many mistakes (and costly ones too). I am struggling to remember a true stand-out performance from Rhys since Scarlets away yeeeaaaars ago.

warrenball
warrenball
28 February, 2020 12:33
I can understand why you may choose Rhys on a wet pitch playing for position, but once you get good weather he just does not have the range of attacking options to scare any organised defence. Maybe it is an argument already lost but it seems a pity having spent so much effort trying to get new players in the backline not to have someone at 10 who can run the show and organise the attack. Of course we do not see what happens in training and how much input people have but from what I see I don't think Rhys is sufficiently dynamic..

MESSAGES->author
Clarkey3k
28 February, 2020 14:13
Quote:
Bath Hammer
Yes it just hasnít worked out for him or us. There is probably blame on both sides & I think that Toulouse debacle really took its toll. Too late now I fear to put the clock back. I hope he can find a new club & prosper as he has a lot of talent.

I read a piece this week that Lyon are interested in FB, perhaps a move to France is on the cards?

BathMatt53
BathMatt53
28 February, 2020 14:26
Quote:
Clarkey3k
[
I read a piece this week that Lyon are interested in FB, perhaps a move to France is on the cards?

That rumour is a month old now I think - not sure if anything came of it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net