Latest news:

The COML Message Board

The place for discussion, debate and nonsense about Bath Rugby.

Join our new Facebook Group today!

New visitors please read the house rules before posting

Test your prognostications at our Prediction League

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
BEWARE THE BEAR; BATH v BRISTOL. TEAM UP!
Discussion started by Comeonmylovers.co.uk (IP Logged), 26 February, 2020 10:46
Comeonmylovers.co.uk
Comeonmylovers.co.uk
26 February, 2020 10:46
What do you think? You can have your say by posting below.
If you do not already have an account Click here to Register.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2020 08:25 by P G Tips.

gaz59
gaz59
26 February, 2020 10:53
Well looking at those possible teams on a player for player comparison there are only 2 or 3 max I would take from Bristol over our 23

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked
26 February, 2020 10:58
I would throw Webb in at the deep end to test Randall in defence bit of a mismatch there! Redpath from the bench, Matevesi created some great offloads v Quins he deserves to be retained.

https://i.ibb.co/gjWyP09/Unknown-1-2.jpg

Beno Obano Age 25 years, Loosehead prop, 5ft 8ins 18st 12lbs 'Mauls are like Transformers' they change form to become more powerful!

BathMatt53
BathMatt53
26 February, 2020 10:59
Is luatua injured? Big loss for them if so.

Lastest England Training squad includes:

Tom Dunn (Bath Rugby)
Charlie Ewels (Bath Rugby)
Sam Underhill (Bath Rugby)
Jonathan Joseph (Bath Rugby)
Anthony Watson (Bath Rugby)

So, looks as though Obano and Stuart are back with Bath, which is obviously huge news for Sunday.

(Just noticed that Walker is covering himself from the bench on that team list PG!)

[Adoptee 19 / 20: The High ball and counter attack meister, Tom Homer]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 26/02/2020 11:03 by BathMatt53.

B4thB4ck
B4thB4ck
26 February, 2020 17:54
I would love to know how they take Webb and weave him into the team at short notice whilst not upsetting recent progress.

A lot to talk about especially with 9 being such a pivotal position. To watch from the sidelines at Farleigh this week would be fascinating.

P G Tips
P G Tips
26 February, 2020 20:20
Quote:
BathMatt53
(Just noticed that Walker is covering himself from the bench on that team list PG!)

Well spotted!
The Doughty Doughty will deputise!

PG

opti
Optimist
26 February, 2020 22:43
Quote:
B4thB4ck
I would love to know how they take Webb and weave him into the team at short notice whilst not upsetting recent progress.
A lot to talk about especially with 9 being such a pivotal position. To watch from the sidelines at Farleigh this week would be fascinating.

Agree! One or both of Chudley and Cook will be feeling pretty dejected.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53
27 February, 2020 06:36
Sir for Sunday - he of the Bath red card, Ian Tempest.

Bathovalballer
Bathovalballer
27 February, 2020 09:25
Well we know Mr Tempest spends all his time looking at the set piece, neither of which he understands, and effectively never polices the off side line, as evidenced last week on TV. So you will see a scrum half trying to pass the ball around a defender and their centres shaking hands with ours.

He is one ref who certainly has not improved since he started on the Prem list, and should be running the line at best like a certain Roy Maybank, who used to let mayhem flow in front of him.

He maybe to our advantage but, as he has 'history' with Bath, I very much doubt we will get much out of him. Makes this game even harder for us.

Adopted player 2019/20 Jonathan 'JJ' Joseph.

The Jink Joseph.

Adopted player 2018/19 Adopted player 2018/19 Semesa 'The Rock' Rokoduguni

gaz59
gaz59
27 February, 2020 09:34
Quote:
Optimist
Quote:
B4thB4ck

Agree! One or both of Chudley and Cook will be feeling pretty dejected.

If they are and show it then I would hope they can find another club. Or if their reaction is "jeez I've got to really step up my game just to get on the bench so what can I learn from this guy" then it will be positives all round

Like life, it isn't the set backs that define but how you respond

Bathovalballer
Bathovalballer
27 February, 2020 09:47
Very well said Gaz. Hopefully someone like Cookie will view it as chance to learn from someone who knows what is required of a top class 9 and has the experience of actually doing it. No doubt Meserrs Green and Fox will be detailed to spend time with Webby as well. It is a very good opportunity for them to learn from someone who has done it all and is still playing at the highest level.

The Jink Joseph.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked
27 February, 2020 09:54
Agree BoB, Fox and Green have the chance to learn from 2 very experienced but also quite different 9's in Webb and Spencer. Cooke and Chudley realise its no longer one or the other for the scrum half position and I hope they take the Gaz position and compete. I've got time for Chudley but Cooke's issues appear to be in his head, can that be learnt?

Beno Obano Age 25 years, Loosehead prop, 5ft 8ins 18st 12lbs 'Mauls are like Transformers' they change form to become more powerful!

MESSAGES->author
CoochieCoo
27 February, 2020 13:48
Hoops slippers and all!

https://pbflaa.by.files.1drv.com/y4mToRbTHGUTg0zWMi8LNeOlOmx4tZHsH3crYbASv0X_qWBw8j30S9KV-RiZIf_AWoOZXD7D3Rjy1tYRAKXykpZSHuOObVQBiovPpB6PnDUuBM6xlx2F1yOjKpEBmWUfMru3SCm255j3p-CnndC7J9ZUG29r1BtfFWHHj-MdzDOpzBuTRTPqNaco8ctf1svZyW0?width=106&height=160&cropmode=none
https://pbfkaa.by.files.1drv.com/y4mhxY1k8zrLn92LwcIYgSd1KcA6zBGX-Wgw2dNz8Us0xA71EhjMmL2tc-ggx7OlsBDECw8eAZ_oAWnNyh5doimzOEics5H87cuh5Q-Sb-ViPD6Pt6QUBneu5F2tlWLltGQZ8pd5qFmsZwbKB39L5Dki21gJfnsiaxLiCiuWPCZUjkXp4EttajzFAgcCl6YuDDF?width=160&height=107&cropmode=none

gaz59
gaz59
27 February, 2020 14:00
Bristol expecting Luatua to be fit and ready. He's class

BathMatt53
BathMatt53
27 February, 2020 14:56
That Hoops interview could be played every gameweek of the year pretty much...

The smile on your face let's me know that you need me
There's a truth in your eyes saying you'll never leave me
The touch of your hand says you'll catch me wherever I fall
You say it best
When you say nothing at all...

We should play pre-match interview bingo next week I think? I'm going for 'heading in the right direction' and 'worked hard on the training pitch'.

He must hate having to turn up and do them when there isn't much to say when he could actually be prepping for the game.

opti
Optimist
28 February, 2020 10:32
Particularly if we get a result against Bristol, I think we can safely assume that next week there will be a raft of media articles on how 'Stuart Hooper is quietly revitalizing long-dormant giant of the game Bath Rugby'.

gaz59
gaz59
28 February, 2020 11:17
And 'quiet evolution' is associated with the Introverted Thinker personality type - fits Hooper perfectly and explains any 'discomfort' with media interviews, not feeling comfortable in the 'spotlight'

Leadership traits typically include:

Analytical
Research-based practice
Focused
Strong sense of structure and order
Personally composed
Steady progress
High standards
Reflective
Succinct in communications
More comfortable working on own or in small, close-knit team

Of course these are all positive attributes though there is a dysfunctional aspect for each quality when things go wrong

But Eddie Jones by way of contrast ...

gaz59
gaz59
28 February, 2020 11:26
Scroll down the link here for some classic Bath v Bristol derby games including the famous Twickenham final

I was there and had forgotten the Barnes missed goal (!) was the last kick of the game. Happy days

[www.somersetlive.co.uk]

P G Tips
P G Tips
28 February, 2020 12:02
Team Up. Webb starts!

BATH RUGBY SIDE TO FACE BRISTOL BEARS:
15. Tom Homer
14. Semesa Rokoduguni
13. Jackson Willison
12. Josh Matavesi
11. Ruaridh McConnochie
10. Rhys Priestland
9. Rhys Webb
1. Lewis Boyce
2. Jack Walker
3. Will Stuart
4. Josh McNally
5. Elliott Stooke
6. Mike Williams
7. Francois Louw (C)
8. Taulupe Faletau

Replacements
16. Tom Doughty, 17. Beno Obano, 18. Christian Judge, 19. Tom Ellis, 20. Josh Bayliss, 21. Chris Cook, 22. Freddie Burns, 23. Max Wright

PG

MESSAGES->author
plong
28 February, 2020 12:03
(Sm152)(Sm128)

Adopted Players
2017-18: Sam Underhill
2016-17: Will Homer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 28/02/2020 12:04 by plong.

MESSAGES->author
hemington
28 February, 2020 12:04
Presumably Zach is crocked - hope not for too long

opti
Optimist
28 February, 2020 12:05
15. Charles Piutau; 14. Luke Morahan, 13. Piers O’Conor, 12. Sam Bedlow, 11. Alapati Leiua; 10. Callum Sheedy, 9. Andy Uren; 1. Yann Thomas, 2. Shaun Malton, 3. Lewis Thiede, 4. Ed Holmes, 5. Joe Joyce, 6. Chris Vui, 7. Steven Luatua (c), 8. Jordan Crane.

Replacements: 16. Will Capon, 17. Jake Woolmore, 18. Max Lahiff, 19. Nathan Hughes, 20. Luke Hamilton, 21. Harry Randall, 22. Ian Madigan, 23. Mat Protheroe.

Unavailable: Harry Thacker (neck), Jordan Lay (knee), James Lay (leg), John Afoa (calf), Aly Muldowney (head), Dave Attwood (shoulder), Siale Piutau (knee), Luke Daniels (shoulder), Will Hurrell (head), Charlie Powell (ankle), Henry Purdy (hamstring).

MESSAGES->author
hasta
28 February, 2020 12:07
I assume Zach gets a rest, Faletau will be away next two weeks.

MESSAGES->author
hemington
28 February, 2020 12:11
Quote:
hasta
I assume Zach gets a rest, Faletau will be away next two weeks.

if so great - to be able to rest quality players because of the size, availability and quality of the squad isn't something we have been able to do for many a year

MESSAGES->author
Rawce
28 February, 2020 12:12
Strong bench options from both teams, though Bristol might shade it in a few positions. Going to be a fascinating one to watch unfold.

opti
Optimist
28 February, 2020 12:17
Big names missing for them - Thacker, Afoa, Attwood, Purdy.

The weather conditions are certainly going to be to our advantage. By no means impossible for us to be second in the table by Sunday evening.

Is Chudley injured by the way?

BathDonkey
BathDonkey
28 February, 2020 12:26
Love the Welsh spine at 8, 9, 10. Makes sense. Hughes on the bench is good news too.

Ali1969
Ali1969
28 February, 2020 12:31
2 in-form teams, Nathan Hughes coming off the bench could be interesting although given the weather conditions and in the past he has not been so effective in those conditions probably explains why he is not starting - Crane is much more of a grafter and in my opinion highly underrated.

Hope we keep the belief and play to our strengths, if we do and Tempest keeps his cool in what I am sure will be a fiery encounter I am sure we can cheer our boys home...I take it Chudley must be injured because surely given the forecast and ground underfoot this game is made for him

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked
28 February, 2020 12:31
Quote:
BathDonkey
Love the Welsh spine at 8, 9, 10. Makes sense. Hughes on the bench is good news too.

Yes that might be the reason Zach is rested, I wouldn't want to be Andy Uren! Really looking forward to this game!

Bathovalballer
Bathovalballer
28 February, 2020 12:38
Personally I would of benched Faletau for Ellis and started Zach as he is in such a rich vein of form. Or is he carrying a knock and we need to rest him up for the annual Exeter Rinsing?

Glad to see Matavesi and Willison together again and also hope Roko is getting back to form.

Got to keep young Uren under control and also Harry Randall, both of whom are real threats. Aimless and miss directed kicking will be run back by Piatau and his fellow backs Monahan and Leiua. They are keeping Hughes back but I believe our pack could get on top of their eight if we play to the top of our form. During this time, we must build a score and take every point on offer, (and not loose the ball in trying to build rolling mauls from lineouts), especially as Bristol have proved their fitness and always finish strong.

It is going to be tight but I am predicting a Bath win by under 5. That may be the kiss of death but we really do need another win to set us up for the Exeter game where we will be sorely tested.

The Jink Joseph.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53
28 February, 2020 12:42
Excellent lineup - very pleased with that.

Bathovalballer
Bathovalballer
28 February, 2020 12:59
Looking at our selection, allowing for the absentees due to international call ups and injuries, it seems nearly our best side, apart from back up nine. I like Ali think the conditions, and being against 2 fast running scrum halves, are made for Chudders. If he is not hurt and he didn't start last week, makes me think he is considered behind Cook and to me that is madness. I wonder if this is going to be our future, with Chudders maybe leaving. Great shame if it is.

The Jink Joseph.

gaz59
gaz59
28 February, 2020 13:27
For once, I think, I will be starting the match from the sofa and not behind it. That's a measure of my belief and excitement and probably Webb starting is the trigger for that. Hope it lasts to final whistle!

opti
Optimist
28 February, 2020 13:32
Our n/a teams this year have been weaker than for many seasons, and having to rely on players who aren't actually injured, but just aren't available for selection. Still carrying a few threats in the backs, but struggling to win much ball. Am I missing anyone?

Thomas, Dunn, Catt
Ewels, ano
Mercer, Reid, ano
Green, ano
Atkins, JJ, Clark, Watson, Coka

MESSAGES->author
Clarkey3k
28 February, 2020 14:10
My only change would be Obano to start and Boyce to bench in an otherwise very strong Bath XV, I hope the Welsh 8, 9, 10 combo works well and Webb buys RP a bit more time and has a snipe or two of his own to keep them guessing. When I read the Bristol team some of their names meant nothing to me e.g #12 Bedlow and their entire front row; which boosted my confidence in the man to man match up. I know their back three can be v dangerous if we kick loosely to them but our sticky pitch might not suit their side stepping, running game so well. If RP can keep Bris in their own half and our defence hold firm I fancy us to win as do the bookies - Oddschecker Bath v Bristol

Adopted players: 2019/20 T Faletau; [19] M V Vuuren; [18] T Faletau; [17] D Denton; [16] H. Agulla; [15] L Houston; [14] W Spencer; [13] F. Louw

Family . Community . Nation - [sdp.org.uk]

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked
28 February, 2020 14:17
It may be better to have Obano and Judge at 65 mins to avoid the lottery of scrum penalties at 78 minutes handing the match to the opposition!

Old Bath Tub
Old Bath Tub
28 February, 2020 14:38
43-16 in Bristol at the start of the season could we (Bath Rugby) possibly reverse that at home and us score 7 tries?

Adopted Player 2018/19 Ross Batty
Adopted Player 2019/20 Jack Davies

"AN OUNCE OF ACTION IS WORTH A TON OF THEORY"
FRIEDRICH ENGELS

TomReagan
TomReagan
28 February, 2020 15:30
Optimist, you can add Underhill to your team, he's pretty decent

B4thB4ck
B4thB4ck
28 February, 2020 18:05
Was in Bath today for work, I don't think it stopped raining all day and at times it was very heavy.

With talk of the pitch and bad weather this winter, is it ever possible to cover the pitch in the same way they do using a type of tent for frost and ice? It would have kept a huge amount of water off the surface.

Should be a cracking game but the pitch is going to be like porridge.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked
28 February, 2020 18:28
Our 8,9,10 will be well used to stodgey pitches.

Average rainfall in S Wales 97 inches. Average rainfall in Bath 30 inches.

gaz59
gaz59
28 February, 2020 18:44
Quote:
shipwrecked
Our 8,9,10 will be well used to stodgey pitches.
Average rainfall in S Wales 97 inches. Average rainfall in Bath 30 inches.

When was the last time any of those three played in south Wales?

Apart from millennium stadium with roof closed?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 28/02/2020 18:45 by gaz59.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked
28 February, 2020 19:00
Ermm... most of their playing careers!

BathMatt53
BathMatt53
28 February, 2020 19:14
The Bristol prawn sandwich brigade who are all teary about their players having to get muddy at the Rec need to take a look at the Kingsholm pitch - need a snorkel for that.

gaz59
gaz59
28 February, 2020 22:55
Quote:
shipwrecked

Really

Rhys Webb was in south France

Faletau and Priestland have been with Bath for a while but they know the boggy areas of the Rec more than anyone

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked
28 February, 2020 23:41
Quote:
gaz59
Quote:
shipwrecked

Really

Rhys Webb was in south France

Faletau and Priestland have been with Bath for a while but they know the boggy areas of the Rec more than anyone

Silly discussion, I'm saying they all learnt at club level on some muddy pitches in Wales. Talupe Faletau, 2009–19, Newport Gwent Dragons, Rhys Priestland 2007-2015 Scarlets, Rhys Webb 2007-2018 Ospreys.
But if you believe Faletau and Priestland learn't to cope with mud at the Rec I guess I'm wrong.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked
29 February, 2020 23:40
So here is an example of how Sarries could yet decide the Premiership whilst getting relegated and it directly affects the top 4 positions. With the league so close this season it could have a big affect.

Tonight Saints are 3rd they should be 4th.

At the end of the game today with the score at 21-27 with the last kick of the game Saracens had a kickable penalty. Had they taken it they would have denied Saints a losing bonus point. They didn't even attempt it and kicked the ball out to end the game. Had they kicked it Bristol would be third tonight instead of 4th.

Would Sarries have done that if they were in the top 4?

So much for Saracens assuring us that they would maintain the integrity of the Premiership. (Sm31)

Beergoggles
Beergoggles
01 March, 2020 08:41
I would have thought winning away at Saints in a feisty game would have demonstrated Saracens commitment to the league. They could have played their kids and got humped by 50 points.

P G Tips
P G Tips
01 March, 2020 09:29
One change to Bath lineup.

Chudley replaces Cook as replacement 9 - news release from club.

No resin given for change.

PG

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked
01 March, 2020 09:32
OK, BG so why only do that partially, in a close league 1 point could decide the title or qualification. It could even affect Bath.
In addition it was a very different Sarries, throwing the ball around, some of it good to watch but they seemed to be experimenting. Their attitude was quite defiant as well.
I'll put up with it but is it right?

gaz59
gaz59
01 March, 2020 10:27
Quote:
shipwrecked
OK, BG so why only do that partially, in a close league 1 point could decide the title or qualification. It could even affect Bath.
In addition it was a very different Sarries, throwing the ball around, some of it good to watch but they seemed to be experimenting. Their attitude was quite defiant as well.

Completely agree. Sarries and their misdemeanors have impossibly distorted the league outcome this year. But nothing can be done to neutralise the impact. Any attempt will simply make different winners and losers than doing nothing. Like you say all other clubs just have to accept it but it sure ain't right

BathMatt53
BathMatt53
01 March, 2020 11:02
Bath Rugby have made one change to the matchday squad the club announced to face Bristol Bears on Friday with Will Chudley coming in for Chris Cook at replacement scrum half.

The club have not revealed yet why the change has been made.

New signing Rhys Webb will start at number nine as was announced when the teams came out.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked
01 March, 2020 11:10
Looking forward to this one, weather bright and sunny, is it the same at the Rec?

MESSAGES->author
Clarkey3k
01 March, 2020 11:43
Quote:
shipwrecked
Looking forward to this one, weather bright and sunny, is it the same at the Rec?

A 29% chance of rain in Bath at KO; 25% by HT and 18% by the end of the match - BBC Weather

Adopted players: 2019/20 T Faletau; [19] M V Vuuren; [18] T Faletau; [17] D Denton; [16] H. Agulla; [15] L Houston; [14] W Spencer; [13] F. Louw

BathMatt53
BathMatt53
01 March, 2020 12:01
‘John Kettlety is a weather man, and so is Clarkey3K’

Very excited about this one - can’t wait.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked
01 March, 2020 12:10
Quote:
BathMatt53
‘John Kettlety is a weather man, and so is Clarkey3K’
Very excited about this one - can’t wait.

Me too, thank goodness Radradra isn't playing....... oops sorry Matt!

Beergoggles
Beergoggles
01 March, 2020 15:33
Quote:
shipwrecked

Oh for goodness sake, only Sarries know why they declined the final kick but I suspect it had nothing to do with love for Saints or even in offending you. Maybe their kicker was damaged, maybe they feared missing the kick and having Saints run it back.

The PRL screwed over this season when they relegated Sarries mid season. They could have given the 35 point penalty and given another one for next season but they didn’t. I’m just pleased that Sarries haven’t completely given up.

Mike the Taxi
Mike the Taxi
01 March, 2020 15:44
HT

6 v 12

Beergoggles
Beergoggles
01 March, 2020 15:48
Bath need to keep their heads second half and play structured rugby second half. If we try and compete at Harlem globetrotters style rugby we’ll lose this. Bristol’s set piece is poor and their discipline is poor. Keep it tight, kick for the corners and grind out the win.

supermarinematt
supermarinematt
01 March, 2020 15:49
Bris have looked far more dangerous than us. Yet again we get in good positions and then cough up the ball. Scrumming in front of the posts for over 3 mins in the yellow card period then giving away a pen is just criminal.

A couple of very good breaks though. Webb is always a threat and wants to run, haven't seen one box kick yet (i think)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/03/2020 15:49 by supermarinematt.

gaz59
gaz59
01 March, 2020 15:56
Not confident at all. Bristol defence in fairness is pretty impressive and their ability to move the ball wide and then back inside does seem to expose our line

Can't see us winning by just keeping it tight and we sure do need to score next

But golly doesn't Webb look good. If only we had someone like that for next season

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked
01 March, 2020 16:01
Yes, agree with that Gaz, Webb worries the opposition. As you say next score pretty vital, but Britol's pack doesn't look on top of it in line out or scrum, I suspect/hope they will tire.

DorsetBoy
Dorset Boy
01 March, 2020 16:01
6 or 7 times Bristol offside in the red zone, seems a theme.

First Bristol try looked forward but no good angle on replay shown. Second try was very, very good.

Big second half needed to turn this around, and we've not overturned a half time deficit yet this season.....

Beergoggles
Beergoggles
01 March, 2020 16:14
Keep it simple Bath. That last line out move was ridiculous given what had gone before.

supermarinematt
supermarinematt
01 March, 2020 16:29
Won't be winning this with Bris 3rd try. 19-6 with 17mins left. Poor mistake trying to off load letting them have easy, easy yards

DorsetBoy
Dorset Boy
01 March, 2020 16:30
Bristol offside permanently in midfield, causes winning try.

Hooker steps across to his side at every line which is illegal.

We've had enough territory and possession to have won this but unable to convert any half chances, coupled with cynical defence in the red zone by Bristol.

Beergoggles
Beergoggles
FFS Bath. 6 19 down against the run of play. Bristol off side at pretty much every single breakdown but The ref not interested.

Ian E
Ian E
Bristol constantly offside and getting away with it that last try was from Bristol offside

Beergoggles
Beergoggles
01 March, 2020 16:37
Chiclet score under the posts. 6 point game again. Cmon Bath !!!!

ken_jnr
ken_jnr
01 March, 2020 16:43
Freddie Burns special.

supermarinematt
supermarinematt
01 March, 2020 16:44
And that's why Freddie isn't the regular 10

DorsetBoy
Dorset Boy
01 March, 2020 16:49
So many over the shoulder tackles missed by Tempest in those final 7 minutes.

ken_jnr
ken_jnr
01 March, 2020 16:51
Only watched the second half. Wish I hadn’t bothered.

Beergoggles
Beergoggles
01 March, 2020 16:53
Bath lose 19 13. Very impressive Bristol defence but once again no real attacking structure from Bath. Once again Burns demonstrates zero empathy for the game when kicking the ball away when Bath attacking in the Bristol 22 with 5 mins to go. He’s had his time here and needs to move on. Well played Bris, defended well and took their chances.

Brisman
Brisman
01 March, 2020 16:53
Quote:
BathMatt53
The Bristol prawn sandwich brigade who are all teary about their players having to get muddy at the Rec need to take a look at the Kingsholm pitch - need a snorkel for that.
Thanks for the 9 points this season lads, I’m off to celebrate with a couple of prawn sandwich’s and a glass of Pinot!

DorsetBoy
Dorset Boy
01 March, 2020 16:54
Not quite sure how Bristol won that. Allowed to be offside permanently, both in midfield and constantly on their line. Hooker always stepping across to his side of the line. Lots of seatbelt type tackles ignored. Tempest isn't up to standard.

That said, Bristol tackled their hearts out, Luatua and Piatau were excellent, and they took the 3 opportunities they had, we didn't take the 10-15 we had.

supermarinematt
supermarinematt
01 March, 2020 16:56
Bris seemingly offside the whole game and making over 200 tackles, but we never looked like scoring. We had a few nice breaks, but on the whole it wasn't very good.

Frustrating game but our possession, possession, cough it up is starting to get old now

MESSAGES->author
FourSticks
01 March, 2020 16:57
Well, for everyone moaning about Bath's lack of bonus points, at least we've now doubled our tally this season.

MESSAGES->author
hemington
01 March, 2020 17:04
Quote:
Brisman
Quote:
BathMatt53
Thanks for the 9 points this season lads, I’m off to celebrate with a couple of prawn sandwich’s and a glass of Pinot!
Classy post.

ken_jnr
ken_jnr
01 March, 2020 17:13
From what I saw, Bristol defended really well but our attack didn’t ask many difficult questions again. We shouldn’t underestimate the Bristol effort but when did Bath put on a show that made it look like they were having quality coaching input from our attack coach?

Brisman
Brisman
01 March, 2020 17:20
Quote:
hemington
Quote:
Brisman
Quote:
BathMatt53
Classy post.
I thought so!

memnoch70
memnoch
01 March, 2020 17:21
IMHO although he is a great player I think it was a mistake to play Rhys Webb today.

Twice you had overlaps and he went the wrong way.

Our line out was awful but he failed to take a few balls cleanly on yours.

You looked better with Chudley.

Our defence was superb, not sure we were offside quite as often as some of you thought, first half I believe you guys gave away more pens.

Good luck for the rest of the season, a Bristol Bath final would be awesome.

Rinkadink
Rinkadink
01 March, 2020 17:21
GG lads and lasses

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/03/2020 17:22 by Rinkadink.

MESSAGES->author
Clarkey3k
01 March, 2020 17:42
We lost primarily because of poor decisions by Flouw as Captain to kick for the corner rather than take 3pts and start again in both halves. Bris were 3rd and going well, we were 5th and on the up so today was a day for pragmatism in front of the posts. Webb looked good for most of the match and will benefit us in the short term. Well played Bris, sad to lose our home record today but it was entirely self inflicted imho. Stooke my Bath MOTM this week, outstanding once again, Piutau for Bris, I can now see why he is paid so well...

BathMatt53
BathMatt53
01 March, 2020 17:57
Bristol deserves winners IMO, Bath had the chances and didn’t take them. Bristol much more clinical and made better decisions.

Bathovalballer
Bathovalballer
01 March, 2020 17:59
Out muscled, out thought, out played. If Bristol were offside so often, or didn't throw in straight, why the hell didn't we do the same. Play the referee. By the way, whoever gave away the 10 yard penalty for back chat should be severely reprimanded and fined.

Until we can get a driving maul set up properly, and when it stops, start quickly without reconstructing the Eifel Tower, forget them. We were toothless up front and in the backs. By the way as said before infinitum, if we had taken the penalty points on offer and not tried to do a driving maul off the line outs, plus the scrum penalty in front of the posts, we could have won. However, we didn't deserve to win as we did not show the wit to do so.

Must say Tempest was atrocious as usual it is not an excuse. Why didn't we play him like Bristol did? The number of times they got men on our side of the mauls was incredible. Even allowing for the poor reffing, we were b awful and never at the races. In the last 10 minutes, it was obvious who was the fitter team too, we were out on our feet and Bristol were still running and tackling.

Great game by Stooke as usual and my how I wish we forget about signing a 10, and throw as much money as it takes to keep Webb. Real class. Mind you, he must have wondered what sort of team he has joined, even if temporarily.

If we don't front up more, like next week, Exeter's scoreboard will be in meltdown racking up the numbers.

The Jink Joseph.

hantssabre
hantssabre
01 March, 2020 18:11
Think you will find it was Stooke who gave away the 10 metres for back chat!

MESSAGES->author
Rawce
01 March, 2020 18:21
It was your favourite Stooke who coughed up the 10 bob.

Chuff all in attack as per usual, bizarre decisions to not take the three twice only to give away penalties cost us. We had no penetration until the last two minutes of the game. I’m assuming Dempsey’s salary doesn’t count towards the cap this season as we’ve not used him 12 games in?

Yes, I know full well he’s a coach.

Old Bath Tub
Old Bath Tub
01 March, 2020 18:21
Hoops says before the game we are title contenders, anyone go along with that ! ........sadly not me !

FRIEDRICH ENGELS

MESSAGES->author
Rawce
01 March, 2020 18:23
Title contenders for least return on investment maybe.

Yes, I’m bitter.

Old Bath Tub
Old Bath Tub
01 March, 2020 18:29
Dempsey’s been doing the gardening at Farleigh !

FRIEDRICH ENGELS

supermarinematt
supermarinematt
01 March, 2020 18:35
Quote:
Clarkey3k
We lost primarily because of poor decisions by Flouw as Captain to kick for the corner rather than take 3pts and start again in both halves

This. We spent 3 mins scrummaging after the yellow card only to give away a pen under their posts. Kick the 3 and start again Vs 14 men.

Then the over complicated line out which ended up with us touch was shocking. The line out was fairly good, so do what we had been and go from there.

Poor day at the office

dannyf2
dannyf2
01 March, 2020 18:40
Kick. The. Points.

TomReagan
TomReagan
01 March, 2020 19:05
As has been noted, Bristol were so much sharper and incisive with half the possession Bath had. The repeated attempts to catch and drive... brainless given we never looked like scoring from any of them. Kick the 3 or scrum- I wanted the latter especially when they were down to 14. Stooke's back chat-it was only a free kick so not much harm done! Last observation--I know TF is coming back from a long break (no tasteless pun intended) but right now Zac offers so much more IMHO.

Bathovalballer
Bathovalballer
01 March, 2020 19:06
I think you will find that series of scrums was more like 8-9 minutes.

Rarely did we break their line and, when we did., it was in isolation. The one time Priestland did break through he had Chuddes in support who scored with ease. Where were the rest of the team?

I think you will find Obano made more yards with ball on hand than most of our backs. Why?

Their first try was woeful Bath marking and non existent tackling.

What does Dempsey do all day? Or is he the gardiner at Farleigh Towers as suggested?

The Bath players should know how much they are abusing the loyalty of their fans. I met a guy before the game who has flown in from Luxembourg, via Amsterdam, just for this game and I know of another guy who missed his return flight to Brussels where he works tonight, and will have to fly out at 6.30 tomorrow morning. We expect much more than there is on offer at present, and expect guys to be able to pass and not be physically intimidated by a Bristol side who won the contacts with ease, committing no more than 2 or 3 at the most to rucks and mauls. This was meant to be a local Derby with all its history and traditional warfare and bragging rights. Unfortunately this seems to have little motivational effect on our present group of players.

Rant over. I am angry that we have lost at home and Bristol have done the double over us for he first time in donkey's years.

The Jink Joseph.

sirtidychris
sirtidychris
01 March, 2020 19:12
Less than 7 point loss against a good team isn't the end if the world especially with underhill Watson Joseph ewels Mercer big Joe etc missing. Main difference for me was the backline which looked liked it hadnt gelled as well as Bristol, given the constant changing if personell it's not a surprise really. If we can actually get a 9-15 playing regularly together then more chance it will click.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53
01 March, 2020 19:13
Not worth getting angry about BoB - disappointed and as confused as the rest of us sure, but it’s only a game of rugby.

westglos
westglos
01 March, 2020 19:24
Quote:
BathMatt53

I think you'll find that the Kingsholm pitch has been a far better surface than the Rec this season, as it's a hybrid, installed before the start of the 18/19 deason.
Friday night's game was probably a marginal call as the pitch had been covered with a inflated tent in the run-up, and we've had well publicised biblical proportions of rain hereabouts.

gaz59
gaz59
01 March, 2020 19:34
Sure thing BathMatt but it really does hurt to lose at home to Briz when we should have won with all that possession

Though before end of season if I was offered 5th place and one point off 4th and only 5 points off 2nd I would happily have taken it

Rhys Webb will only get better for us and with the likes of Watson, Underhill and JJ to return I'm still quietly confident of beating Saints to 4th place. I was though before the game toying with the idea of buying a couple of final tickets but today has thankfully erased that silly thought

dr.bath1865
dr.bath1865
01 March, 2020 19:35
A frustrating game. We did a lot right and were on top up front, but we made bad decisions in the red zone and refused to gamble a touch and go for the try scoring play. I get it - patience, ‘do an exeter’, grind them down... but just for once give it to Roko one on one 5m out please!

Must say, their All Blacks were a class apart and likely won it for them. Although Stooke was my MotM. Mighty shift from first minute to last.

I’m not that down. With the players we have to come back, we should get better as the season progresses and the ground firms. Webb looked good but needs time to gel with line out, 8 and 10, obviously.

I also think that another (better?) ref would have given us more of a chance by speeding up the breakdown for both sides. Considering our possession, Tempest’s indifference to bodies on the wrong side slowed us all day. Same for when they had the ball. It almost ruined the spectacle, as attack was subdued by defence, and whilst I’m not sure we’d have scored more tries with quicker ball, I’d have liked to have seen Webb given clean ball.

Fair play to Bristol. They’re potentially the only team in the league who could upset Exeter on a sunny day at HQ. So we lost to a good side. Still 5th, mind.

warrenball
warrenball
01 March, 2020 19:54
Outplayed by Bristol and were lucky to get LBP. Referee was dreadful, but he was the same for both sides. Back to reality after a few close wins, am not looking forward to Exeter unless we can improve considerably in all areas. Very disappointing, difficult to find many positives from that performance.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net