Latest news:

The COML Message Board

The place for discussion, debate and nonsense about Bath Rugby.

Join our new Facebook Group today!

New visitors please read the house rules before posting

Test your prognostications at our Prediction League

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
O/T Coping with Self Isolation
Discussion started by shipwrecked (IP Logged), 18 March, 2020 09:42
MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked
18 March, 2020 09:42
I'm very aware that the 'other' thread about the virus could generate some considerable anxiety especially if you are stuck at home self isolating. So here are some ideas I've heard.

Coping with Self Isolation

Saw this on TV and thought it might help to share.

How can you put yourself in a positive frame of mind to cope with self isolation?
You can obviously help protect yourself by social distancing and hand washing but you are not in control of a lot of other things so to decrease anxiety fear and worry you could set up a short routine that will probably help.

MENTAL HEALTH

Journaling - To help with mental health journaling can be a big help, anxious thoughts can keep churning over in your mind, if you write them down in a journal they can be set free and you can break that cycle.

Breathing – breath in in for 3 sec, hold it for 4 sec and breathe out for 5 seconds

Nature – Get out in the garden with a cup of tea, do gardening if you have one, just being outside can help.

PHYSICAL HEALTH

Spend 5 minutes a day during your self-isolation to work on your body. This might be exercise, walking or anything to get the blood circulating and gets you a little out of breath.
Go on YouTube for a 5-minute work out or 5 minutes of yoga.
Skipping or perhaps dancing with family. it helps to burn off the anxiety.

HEART OR CONNECTIONS

Phone a friend, or skype or put a note under someone’s door, write a physical letter kids to grandparents that sort of thing.

It also might help to play the Play the gratitude game

To do this ask yourself daily

What have I done to make myself happy?
What have I done to make someone else happy?
What have I learnt today?

I’m sure there are other ideas, any thoughts or suggestions?

https://i.ibb.co/gjWyP09/Unknown-1-2.jpg

Beno Obano Age 25 years, Loosehead prop, 5ft 8ins 18st 12lbs 'Mauls are like Transformers' they change form to become more powerful!

P G Tips
P G Tips
18 March, 2020 10:02
If you have no symptoms and have not been in contact with anyone who has "social distancing" may be your option.
That would allow outdoor exercise (walk, run, bike ride) as long as you do not get close to others.

There is a clear link between exercise and mental health- so worth a try - at least until Govt advice against.

PG

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked
18 March, 2020 10:33
Yes, PG its the gatherings of people that are the concern, a walk or bike ride alone can do wonders can't see how that would cause a problem.

Beno Obano Age 25 years, Loosehead prop, 5ft 8ins 18st 12lbs 'Mauls are like Transformers' they change form to become more powerful!

MESSAGES->author
Clarkey3k
18 March, 2020 10:55
Quote:
P G Tips
If you have no symptoms and have not been in contact with anyone who has "social distancing" may be your option.
That would allow outdoor exercise (walk, run, bike ride) as long as you do not get close to others.

There is a clear link between exercise and mental health- so worth a try - at least until Govt advice against.

PG

My golf club remains open for play and members are able to use the bar/communal areas or not as they choose. Social distancing is quite easy in this game and a 3-4hr walk in the fresh air does wonders unless ones' golf is completely pants. I'll find out [again] this afternoon...

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked
18 March, 2020 11:00
Clarkey, write coronavirus on the ball in felt tip pen and give it a whack for all of us, that should add 30m to your drive!

MESSAGES->author
woodpecker
18 March, 2020 11:06
At the moment one thing I wont be doing is having a $hit as I cant find any toilet paper, down to last three rolls.

MESSAGES->author
Clarkey3k
18 March, 2020 11:12
Quote:
woodpecker
At the moment one thing I wont be doing is having a $hit as I cant find any toilet paper, down to last three rolls.

From my days as a boy scout - doc leaves should be abundant soon meanwhile dig a hole, wipe with your newspaper of choice and bury it (Sm124)

Adopted players: 2019/20 T Faletau; [19] M V Vuuren; [18] T Faletau; [17] D Denton; [16] H. Agulla; [15] L Houston; [14] W Spencer; [13] F. Louw

Family . Community . Nation - [sdp.org.uk]

MESSAGES->author
woodpecker
18 March, 2020 11:14
Quote:
Clarkey3k
Quote:
woodpecker

From my days as a boy scout - doc leaves should be abundant soon meanwhile dig a hole, wipe with your newspaper of choice and bury it (Sm124)

Hmm I may need to move away from my phone app version of the Times...

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked
18 March, 2020 11:19
That's a real problem then, the alternatives to toilet paper are apparently blocking up the sewers!

I roll equals 500 sheets of 2 ply, 3 sheets per wipe, so that's 500 dumps, how many times do you go a day for goodness sake?

MESSAGES->author
woodpecker
18 March, 2020 11:28
Quote:
shipwrecked
That's a real problem then, the alternatives to toilet paper are apparently blocking up the sewers!
I roll equals 500 sheets of 2 ply, 3 sheets per wipe, so that's 500 dumps, how many times do you go a day for goodness sake?

I've got a teenage daughter, I have no idea why that is a factor.... but it is.

opti
Optimist
18 March, 2020 11:30
as my mum told me, during the war it was one up, one down and one to polish.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked
18 March, 2020 11:33
Quote:
woodpecker
Quote:
shipwrecked

I've got a teenage daughter, I have no idea why that is a factor.... but it is.

Oh I see..... that explains it then, I've got one of those. She has been quite happily self-isolating for the past 18 months in her bedroom!

MESSAGES->author
Clarkey3k
18 March, 2020 11:37
Are your maths right shipwrecked? If so I admire your parsimony. Using Opti's protocol that would be enough for 166.6 [recurring] dumps. As for daughters, a la woodpecker, whenever mine visits with her husband we have to double up on loo roll to get through the weekend and my fridge looks as though a plague of locusts has flown through it...

Adopted players: 2019/20 T Faletau; [19] M V Vuuren; [18] T Faletau; [17] D Denton; [16] H. Agulla; [15] L Houston; [14] W Spencer; [13] F. Louw

MESSAGES->author
woodpecker
18 March, 2020 11:45
Quote:
Clarkey3k
Are your maths right shipwrecked? If so I admire your parsimony. Using Opti's protocol that would be enough for 166.6 [recurring] dumps. As for daughters, a la woodpecker, whenever mine visits with her husband we have to double up on loo roll to get through the weekend and my fridge looks as though a plague of locusts has flown through it...

Unfortunately my son's university has closed and he's coming home today. Our supply of food that would have lasted 2 weeks now wont last a week.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked
18 March, 2020 11:45
Quote:
Clarkey3k

But he has 3 rolls left Clarkey!

MESSAGES->author
Clarkey3k
18 March, 2020 11:55
Quote:
woodpecker
Quote:
Clarkey3k

Unfortunately my son's university has closed and he's coming home today. Our supply of food that would have lasted 2 weeks now wont last a week.

Given this development woodpecker, I suggest your loo roll stock is even more pressing now than how much food is contained in your cupboards...

MESSAGES->author
woodpecker
18 March, 2020 11:57
Quote:
Clarkey3k
Quote:
woodpecker
Quote:
Clarkey3k

Given this development woodpecker, I suggest your loo roll stock is even more pressing now than how much food is contained in your cupboards...

I know!

He is bringing 3 with him

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked
18 March, 2020 11:59
Quote:
Clarkey3k
Quote:
woodpecker
Quote:
Clarkey3k

You do realise that the ratio of food disappearing from the fridge is related to the consumption of loo rolls I hope!

B4thB4ck
B4thB4ck
18 March, 2020 12:27
My FTSE100 ranked employer, who wants me to carry on working as normal, has announced they can help me with protection by giving me hand gel. Great news.

Turns out it is a 50ml bottle.....

And they don't have any yet.

As a suggestion I was listening to music on the radio driving and realised how much more relaxing that is than watching wall to wall bad news on TV, just need to avoid the hourly news bulletin.

TomReagan
TomReagan
18 March, 2020 12:35
Totally agree b4thb4ck. Once you know how to try and stay safe there's not much else to hear unless you want to be alarmed. The online tabs are the worst for this-there to get clicks rather than to inform, although the Sun online, perhaps recognising this, has a positive Coronavirus stories section. I'm pretty busy, but where I have some downtime it's Rockford Files and Montalbano box sets. Sunny weather, lovely scenery, not too serious/demanding plot lines . Giving the Scandi noir a miss for a bit. Also reading Stephen Porter's book on the Black Death, by complete coincidence, but interesting and perhaps predictable parallels despite the different historical periods!

B4thB4ck
B4thB4ck
18 March, 2020 13:22
Tom, I find Moltobano excellent, we love it. My wife and her cousins all speak Italian so are able to understand how the dialect jokes work. I still enjoy it though with subtitles, as you say great locations in the sunshine. Love the long lunchtime meetings with a glass of wine by the sea, we don't even have windows in the buildings where I work!

Mike the Taxi
Mike the Taxi
18 March, 2020 13:27
I suspect REM at volume 11 would not be a good idea at this time!

Lost Soul
Lost Soul
18 March, 2020 13:56
Back to toilet rolls.
A story told to me when I was living in Sri Lanka. Probably an urban myth but.....

There was a brilliant Indian female opera singer who came to Europe to further her career, but after 6 months she returned home without any success despite being given some great roles.
When asked why it did not work out she replied “every time I go on stage all I can think about is the whole audience wipe there bottoms with dry paper how can that be healthy”

Maybe those running out of paper can use the shower 😀

Eastbath
Eastbath
18 March, 2020 14:18
As a perfect illustration of the proverb “An ill wind etc etc”
the Eurovision Sing Contest has been cancelled.

SimonG19
SimonG19
18 March, 2020 15:24
But a small silver lining to the Coronavirus situation is the news that filming of Eastenders has stopped!

annie blackthorn
annie blackthorn
18 March, 2020 15:42
Perhaps the 'young' of all ages will actually sit up and listen now that Glastonbury has been cancelled.
it seems that because they have little life experience (won't even remember the bank crisis of 2008) that would impinge on their self absorbed lifestyle, and anyway the virus is only like a bad cold etc. they have been carrying on regardless in pubs, nightclubs etc.
which might explain why London is the hotspot with many more cases and deaths.

Have direct experience of 'young' visiting from London last weekend (not mine) who also popped over to see 84 yr old granny, etc. etc. and then on Monday night called to say they weren't feeling too good and that one of them had been 'sortof' ill the week before, and then two of their flatmates were now ill, and colleagues off work etc. etc. etc.

Whatyermean = CANCELLED?
WHY? Its in JUNE? Shock horror?
Well, my dears, it takes approx. 3 months to set up, build and prepare - its doesn't contrary to what you would like to believe, just appear by magic overnight!

So, my fellow old dears, stay vigilant and away. You have been warned!!!!

MESSAGES->author
Monkey1
18 March, 2020 16:18
Annie

You really do have a nasty view of other people. I have found that people of all ages have been sensible and people of all ages have been idiotic. There are as many self absorbed old people selfishly jetting around the world burning tons of kerosene every year and destroying the planet just so they can see the pyramids, Niagra Falls, Leaning Tower of Pisa and the ancient temples in Peru, as there are self-absorbed young people glued to their iPhones, running up debt without a care and churning up mud in Glastonbury. It isn't an age thing, it is a people thing. There are nice people and there are selfish people. I tend to find the ones who don't discriminate against others because of age, race, way of life, religion, and other pigeon holes that they like to create, are the nice ones.

JFPC
JFPC
18 March, 2020 16:20
Quote:
annie blackthorn
Perhaps the 'young' of all ages will actually sit up and listen now that Glastonbury has been cancelled.
it seems that because they have little life experience (won't even remember the bank crisis of 2008) that would impinge on their self absorbed lifestyle, and anyway the virus is only like a bad cold etc. they have been carrying on regardless in pubs, nightclubs etc.

Have direct experience of 'young' visiting from London last weekend (not mine) who also popped over to see 84 yr old granny, etc. etc. and then on Monday night called to say they weren't feeling too good and that one of them had been 'sortof' ill the week before, and then two of their flatmates were now ill, and colleagues off work etc. etc. etc.

Whatyermean = CANCELLED?
WHY? Its in JUNE? Shock horror?
Well, my dears, it takes approx. 3 months to set up, build and prepare - its doesn't contrary to what you would like to believe, just appear by magic overnight!

So, my fellow old dears, stay vigilant and away. You have been warned!!!!

Annie, now is not the time to vent on personal intergenerational bugbears. I could easily give anecdotes about local elderly people ignoring health advice but it helps no-one.

BerkeleyWood
The Bear
18 March, 2020 16:23
Quote:
annie blackthorn

1. These are the people you'd have us listen to on Brexit and the climate.

2. The politics of the last 30 years or so have produced a generation that display less responsibility to society. They are not genetically more irresponsible, it is a product of our society that values individual freedom (I should be allowed to do what I want) over collective freedom.

Adopted Player:
[18] - Taulupe Faletau

Mike the Taxi
Mike the Taxi
18 March, 2020 16:45
M Thatcher: "There is no such thing as Society".

It all seems to have gone downhill from then.

MESSAGES->author
Clarkey3k
18 March, 2020 16:48
Be careful Bear - I think it was Thatcher who said there was no such thing as society and Monty Python who suggested "charging them [society] as well" vis a vis responsibility for criminal acts (Sm100). One thing is clear, whether we like it or not, we are all in this together...

PS - had a dry 9 holes this afternoon. [Apologies to those of you still working wherever that is taking place]

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath
18 March, 2020 16:58
Quote:
Clarkey3k
My golf club remains open for play and members are able to use the bar/communal areas or not as they choose. Social distancing is quite easy in this game and a 3-4hr walk in the fresh air does wonders unless ones' golf is completely pants. I'll find out [again] this afternoon...

My club also open, although they are asking everyone to putt with the flag in and they have removed the ball washers. Played today, but it does have the feeling of going through the motions as all club competitions have been cancelled.

MESSAGES->author
Clarkey3k
18 March, 2020 17:00
Quote:
Eastbath
As a perfect illustration of the proverb “An ill wind etc etc”
the Eurovision Sing Contest has been cancelled.

I am delighted by this news, though it does rather contradict the proverb (Sm128)

MESSAGES->author
Clarkey3k
18 March, 2020 17:14
Quote:
OutsideBath
Quote:
Clarkey3k

My club also open, although they are asking everyone to putt with the flag in and they have removed the ball washers. Played today, but it does have the feeling of going through the motions as all club competitions have been cancelled.

All our comps are still on at the moment and the course was well used this afternoon, good point about the flags mind. I overheard some seniors on Monday talking about the 14 week isolation for the over 70's and one indicating they might not be back for a while. Sad and worrying times, more so if you have a SIPP as I do (Sm123)

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath
18 March, 2020 17:15
Quote:
SimonG19
But a small silver lining to the Coronavirus situation is the news that filming of Eastenders has stopped!

(Sm152)(Sm152)(Sm152)

BerkeleyWood
The Bear
18 March, 2020 19:54
Quote:
Mike the Taxi
M Thatcher: "There is no such thing as Society".
It all seems to have gone downhill from then.

Yes, that was the turning point. Not to mention the economic short-termism.

Quote:
Clarkey3k
Be careful Bear - I think it was Thatcher who said there was no such thing as society and Monty Python who suggested "charging them [society] as well" vis a vis responsibility for criminal acts (Sm100). One thing is clear, whether we like it or not, we are all in this together...

No need to be careful. Thatcher set the path that all followed, even the Blairite 'Labour' and the EU. It has had undoubted benefits in times of excess. It's a disaster in a crisis. It is pure decadence.

Adopted Player:
[18] - Taulupe Faletau

TomReagan
TomReagan
18 March, 2020 19:58
Quote:
B4thB4ck
Tom, I find Moltobano excellent, we love it. My wife and her cousins all speak Italian so are able to understand how the dialect jokes work. I still enjoy it though with subtitles, as you say great locations in the sunshine. Love the long lunchtime meetings with a glass of wine by the sea, we don't even have windows in the buildings where I work!
Apparently the Italians actually find Caterella funny, which amazes me. Presumably they can also accept Mimi as a babe magnet despite the absurd moustache. That seafood restaurant-as you say, heaven. I decorated my bedroom using the same pale blues and yellows but didn't look the same in the Radstock light and have since redecorated! Two hours of Montalbano and the world's always a better place!

gaz59
gaz59
18 March, 2020 22:42
Quote:
Optimist
as my mum told me, during the war it was one up, one down and one to polish.

Yes but that was good old Izal. Modern stuff not nearly as effective especially with the polish one

warrenball
warrenball
19 March, 2020 07:59
The big problem, as I sit here in Devon, is that everything seems so normal, this is the big problem the government has to solve. My grandchildren who virtually live here have been told they cannot come in the house and they naturally find this distressing and cannot really understand why.

It would help if we had any confidence in the authorities, but we can see from the spokespeople of the government, NHS and other bodies that they put the best spin on it and you really cannot believe much of what they say at face value, complicated that the real answer to most questions is "I don't know"

I am working on the theory that in a few months, if still here, I would rather think I over-reacted than sat on my hands and possibly spread the infection, but we must be sensible, exercise is essential to good health and wellbeing, both physically and mentally. Last night I took the dog in the garden at about midnight, I could have walked for miles inn the country without meeting a soul, no doubt there will be people playing golf as soon as the sun rises, or digging the garden, all of which will do you great benefit without risk. If we stay shut in the house watching daytime television there is no end to the mental damage it can do, but that is easier for me to say living in the country with plenty of land around.

My big concern is for the children not going to school, we do not all live in loving nuclear families, how is the government planning to protect vulnerable youngsters, maybe there should be a register kept by schools of children who may not be properly looked after, they cannot just be allowed to roam the streets without proper food or control.

MESSAGES->author
Duke of Earl
19 March, 2020 08:20
Montalbano is excellent, very cheering, Montalbano himself, Catarella, Mimi ,Fazio, Galluzo and the rest of them are brilliant, I've been watching it for years.

Nothing can stop the Duke of Earl

MESSAGES->author
Monkey1
19 March, 2020 08:34
Back to the original topic for a moment. So many people say they would like to write a book one day. Make this the day.

ken_jnr
ken_jnr
19 March, 2020 08:44
Quote:
warrenball
My big concern is for the children not going to school, we do not all live in loving nuclear families, how is the government planning to protect vulnerable youngsters, maybe there should be a register kept by schools of children who may not be properly looked after, they cannot just be allowed to roam the streets without proper food or control.

The government announced that the “most vulnerable” students would be able to go to school. The difficulty will be enforcing that, as often some of the “most vulnerable” can be difficult to get in when their friends are at school and there is a full compliment of staff on hand to support.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53
19 March, 2020 09:16
Quote:
ken_jnr
Quote:
warrenball

The government announced that the “most vulnerable” students would be able to go to school. The difficulty will be enforcing that, as often some of the “most vulnerable” can be difficult to get in when their friends are at school and there is a full compliment of staff on hand to support.

There are several registers, not least those for kids with an Education, Health and Care (EHC) plan.

[Adoptee 19 / 20: The High ball and counter attack meister, Tom Homer]

nixworld2
nixworld2
19 March, 2020 13:47
Quote:
OutsideBath
Quote:
SimonG19

(Sm152)(Sm152)(Sm152)

Before you celebrate too much, remember that a lot of people will be laid off because of it.

SimonG19
SimonG19
19 March, 2020 14:03
Quote:
nixworld2
Quote:
OutsideBath
Quote:
SimonG19

(Sm152)(Sm152)(Sm152)

Before you celebrate too much, remember that a lot of people will be laid off because of it.

I won't be holding any parties to celebrate. It was simply a joke which I thought one or two people might appreciate in these difficult times. I apologise if it offended your sensibilities. Now let's get back to being miserable eh?

TomReagan
TomReagan
19 March, 2020 14:37
Quote:
SimonG19
Quote:
nixworld2
Quote:
OutsideBath
Quote:
SimonG19

(Sm152)(Sm152)(Sm152)

I won't be holding any parties to celebrate. It was simply a joke which I thought one or two people might appreciate in these difficult times. I apologise if it offended your sensibilities. Now let's get back to being miserable eh?

nixworld2
nixworld2
19 March, 2020 14:41
Quote:
SimonG19
Quote:
nixworld2
Quote:
OutsideBath
Quote:
SimonG19

(Sm152)(Sm152)(Sm152)

Don't worry about my sensibilities, just wasn't that funny tbh.

TomReagan
TomReagan
19 March, 2020 14:44
Sorry, all that quoting...If you wanted to, rather than focus on the cleaner canals in Venice you might choose to worry about the gondoliers(?), the cleaner air has come at a cost to the airlines. There's always collateral damage just as there will be people making money, sometimes unscrupulously, from this crisis. Where Eastenders stops, apparently the BBC intend to fill the gap created by schools closing. Yin and yang, and as this is meant to be the uplifting thread I'll take the temporary lock down at Albert Square as a positive.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked
19 March, 2020 15:24
A strange experience yesterday which sort of highlight everyone's anxiety.
Took my mountain bike to the bike shop on the basis of its a good thing to do as part of social distancing. On going through the door with the bike the owner shouted at me to stop.

He said didn't you read the notice, (sheet of A4 small writing.) We don't accept bikes unless you have booked an appointment. I asked why to be told the coronavirus stays on bikes for 12 hours, and the bike had to be quarantined.

I pointed out that he should be more worried about people and that he could use gloves and wipe the bike down if he was worried. He asked me what I wanted done and said he would photograph the bike and get back to me by email.

His attitude seemed driven by anxiety, no other shops have copied that behaviour, supermarkets, garages etc. However, I was assured all bike shops were following this policy.

So out of interest has anyone had their car declined at a garage or their dry cleaning or shoes at the repairers?

What baffled me was he was happy to talk to me who potentially could have had millions of viral particles but was fixated on the bike. I suppose I can't knock his caution.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53
19 March, 2020 15:43
There were queues of Taxis outside the Bath Spa train station yesterday - they clearly aren't as worried (despite the lack of passengers). Any view Mike?

Mike the Taxi
Mike the Taxi
19 March, 2020 17:02
"'Tis better to travel hopefully, than to arrive".

In the current situation, even one fare would be looked upon as a bonus!

B4thB4ck
B4thB4ck
19 March, 2020 17:14
Went to my local supermarket this afternoon, saw the usual shortages as expected.

I asked the staff how it was at opening this morning, again as expected was told a story of customers queueing in their cars around the corner.

Apparently with the supermarket being at the end of a cul de sac the cars stopped the morning delivery truck from reaching the yard so some shelves were still empty when the early birds rushed in.

MESSAGES->author
hemington
19 March, 2020 17:56
Quote:
TomReagan
Where Eastenders stops, apparently the BBC intend to fill the gap created by schools closing.

Yes the government are working withh the BBC to produce educational resources for those out of schools. Luckily the Government didn't close or the BBC behind a paywall as they wanted. No commercial station would be willing or even capable of doing that.

MESSAGES->author
woodpecker
19 March, 2020 18:52
Ive ordered bog roll from amazon, but not arriving until 3rd to 15th April..

MESSAGES->author
Monkey1
19 March, 2020 19:17
Quote:
woodpecker

Blimey!

I've heard of holding it in, but surely this attempt could make the Guinness Book of Records.
(Sm105)

BerkeleyWood
The Bear
20 March, 2020 09:10
Quote:
hemington
Luckily the Government didn't close or the BBC behind a paywall as they wanted. No commercial station would be willing or even capable of doing that.

Maybe now is not the time for flagrant lies?

Not do I imagine the commercial stations appreciate the risk they are under whereas the BBC can do whatever signalling it wishes safe in the knowledge that its funding is secure.

Maybe it should have being doing this kind of public service broadcasting beforehand?

I hope this signals a change in the objectives of broadcasting and the current journalistic nature. Already beginning to see a less 'gotcha' line of questioning into something much more publicly beneficial.

Adopted Player:
[18] - Taulupe Faletau

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 20/03/2020 09:13 by The Bear.

MESSAGES->author
Clarkey3k
20 March, 2020 11:03
Quote:
Monkey1
Quote:
woodpecker

Blimey!

I've heard of holding it in, but surely this attempt could make the Guinness Book of Records.
(Sm105)

This Groupon offer will get it to you a bit quicker and thus relieve the pressure...

BerkeleyWood
The Bear
20 March, 2020 11:20
Quote:
Clarkey3k
Quote:
Monkey1
Quote:
woodpecker

Blimey!

(Sm105)

This Groupon offer will get it to you a bit quicker and thus relieve the pressure...

Sold out ;(.

Adopted Player:
[18] - Taulupe Faletau

cb2
cb2
20 March, 2020 15:59
I am in Germany and we are pretty much in shut down here. Bavaria is shutting down from today and my state, NRW, looks like we might be doing it from Monday. The schools are all closed and the toilet paper is an issue as well. Good news is that baked beans are in plentiful supply as they don't really like them here.

redmix
redmix
23 March, 2020 14:12
I'm supposed to be self-isolating. But, the self seems to have gone from my isolation. The daughter's been sent home from Uni, the son's effectively lost his job as front of house in a local hotel, the wife is supposed to be self-isolating with us, but has been summoned back to work to shut the building down as they've sent everyone else home. We had a loo roll shortage but Boots online came to the rescue. Rather than just telling you they were out of stock they delivered to our local store once they had stock. Who knows how long it'll last (the loo roll) now the house is full. I can't believe the number of people who've told me they are fine for loo roll cos they stocked up for Brexit! Clearly not enough of them as there's none in our local shops.

I reckon in 9 months or so there's going to be a baby boom, and an increase in the divorce rate. A mate of mine who's brother in law is in the police force says they are planning for a reduction in general crime but an increase in domestic violence.

Mike the Taxi
Mike the Taxi
23 March, 2020 14:35
"Baby boom" - Coronials?

MESSAGES->author
woodpecker
23 March, 2020 14:44
Quote:
Mike the Taxi
"Baby boom" - Coronials?

Once they are past 12; quaranteens

BathMatt53
BathMatt53
24 March, 2020 11:23
On the basis that I am neither very organised nor the type to get easily spooked I entirely missed the window for panic stockpiling and therefore have spent the last week eating what I can find / forage from the obscure corners of the shop or home cupboards. This has now become an interesting culinary adventure - sometime positive, sometimes negative and has also brought back fond memories of student life.

Highlights:

- honey and nuts shredded wheat
- Fray Bentos 'Just Chicken' Pie (taste of the 80s and no washing up..)
- Belvoir Ginger Cordial (fiery!)
- rediscovering fig rolls

Lowlights:

- M&S Chicken noodle soup with sweetcorn (snot in a can)
- Captain birdseye frozen peri-peri chicken fillets (oddest 'chicken' texture ever)
- lloyd grossman bolognese sauce (basically oregano sauce with a drip of tomato)

Any advice from those on 'ere on foodstuffs that I should look out for / avoid?

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked
24 March, 2020 12:30
I love lloyd grossman bolognese sauce!

I found a jar of lemon chilli pickle, not sure what to have it with but toast is just wrong.
Sardines in a tin from Brittany were fantastic.
Avoid macaroni cheese in a tin truly weird!

BathMatt53
BathMatt53
24 March, 2020 12:40
Quote:
shipwrecked
I found a jar of lemon chilli pickle, not sure what to have it with but toast is just wrong!

Serve with lamb and flat breads along with a yogurt and cucumber sauce. Or in times such as these, spam, cream crackers and a squeeze of petit filous.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked
24 March, 2020 12:51
Quote:
BathMatt53
Quote:
shipwrecked
I found a jar of lemon chilli pickle, not sure what to have it with but toast is just wrong!

Serve with lamb and flat breads along with a yogurt and cucumber sauce. Or in times such as these, spam, cream crackers and a squeeze of petit filous.

Could I incorporate it with the tube of condensed milk I found last night?

BathMatt53
BathMatt53
24 March, 2020 13:07
Quote:
shipwrecked
Quote:
BathMatt53
Quote:
shipwrecked

Could I incorporate it with the tube of condensed milk I found last night?

You are sooo posh.

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath
24 March, 2020 19:11
Plane with 5 passengers on board, Donald Trump, Boris Johnson, the Pope, Nicola Sturgeon and a ten year old school boy.
The plane is about to crash and theres only 4 parachutes.
Nicola said I need one. I’ve to sort out Scottish Independence!’ Takes one and jumps
The pope said ‘I need one, I've to sort out the Catholic Church.’ He takes one and jumps.
Trump said ‘I’m the smartest man in the USA.’ He takes one and jumps.
Boris said to the ten year old "you can have the last parachute. I've lived my life, yours is only starting".
The 10 year old said "Don’t worry, there are 2 parachutes left. The smartest man in the USA took my school bag"

Mike the Taxi
Mike the Taxi
24 March, 2020 19:15
I remember the version that featured George W Bush as the 'smartest man in the USA'!

MESSAGES->author
Clarkey3k
27 March, 2020 16:33
I am hosting a virtual quiz night via Skype with some old Uni mates tonight and am hoping for a virtual pub session and "lock in" with others this weekend (Sm128)

gaz59
gaz59
28 March, 2020 12:00
Quote:
Clarkey3k
I am hosting a virtual quiz night via Skype with some old Uni mates tonight and am hoping for a virtual pub session and "lock in" with others this weekend (Sm128)

Check the security settings - there are some disturbing stories of hacking and scamming via these media

MESSAGES->author
Clarkey3k
28 March, 2020 12:14
Quote:
gaz59
Quote:
Clarkey3k

Check the security settings - there are some disturbing stories of hacking and scamming via these media

Good point, will do and must say Skype was v clunky with 6 of us involved. We talked about Zoom and Houseparty apps for next time. Anyone using either or both with views to share?

Mike the Taxi
Mike the Taxi
28 March, 2020 12:59
Zoom, although very popular, is suspected of harbouring malware

BathMatt53
BathMatt53
28 March, 2020 16:03
When I was extremely young there were street parties for the silver jubilee. Then when at primary school the royal wedding. More recently the millennium and diamond jubilees. One thing that is keeping me going through this is the expectation of some truly brilliant parties through the summer and autumn to celebrate freedom and the world overcoming the current struggles...it will be awesome.

annie blackthorn
annie blackthorn
28 March, 2020 16:08
No one has so far mentioned dog walking.

I have a very normal lively madasaboxoffrogs working cocker.
Walks on a lead round the pavements is not her idea of exercise and fun, nor mine.
So I am driving a mile or so once a day to open fields with hedges and space to race around without intimidating the cockerpoos etc.
Anyone else have this dilemma? Am I breaking rules or not.

MESSAGES->author
CoochieCoo
28 March, 2020 16:16
From Facebook Wilts Police

You might start to see these posters being put up around Wiltshire by our Community Policing Teams. We have received a lot of enquiries about what people can and can’t do at this time. Please remember we are in a pandemic that is costing many people’s lives.

Current Government restrictions DO NOT permit you to use your vehicle to travel to locations for exercise. Each and every one of us has been instructed to avoid all unnecessary travel.

We want to remind everyone that you should only use your vehicle for essential journeys.

Current Government advice states you are able to leave your home for food shopping, any medical need or to provide care or help to a vulnerable person. Travelling to and from work is permitted, but only where you cannot work from home.

You are permitted to leave your home for one form of exercise a day, for example a run, walk with your dog, or cycle ride - alone or with members of your household. You should not be driving to a location away from home to carry this out.

We urge you to comply with the Government measures around social distancing, staying at least 2 metres apart from anyone outside of your household.

https://pbflaa.by.files.1drv.com/y4mToRbTHGUTg0zWMi8LNeOlOmx4tZHsH3crYbASv0X_qWBw8j30S9KV-RiZIf_AWoOZXD7D3Rjy1tYRAKXykpZSHuOObVQBiovPpB6PnDUuBM6xlx2F1yOjKpEBmWUfMru3SCm255j3p-CnndC7J9ZUG29r1BtfFWHHj-MdzDOpzBuTRTPqNaco8ctf1svZyW0?width=106&height=160&cropmode=none
https://pbfkaa.by.files.1drv.com/y4mhxY1k8zrLn92LwcIYgSd1KcA6zBGX-Wgw2dNz8Us0xA71EhjMmL2tc-ggx7OlsBDECw8eAZ_oAWnNyh5doimzOEics5H87cuh5Q-Sb-ViPD6Pt6QUBneu5F2tlWLltGQZ8pd5qFmsZwbKB39L5Dki21gJfnsiaxLiCiuWPCZUjkXp4EttajzFAgcCl6YuDDF?width=160&height=107&cropmode=none

B4thB4ck
B4thB4ck
28 March, 2020 16:17
I have been making batches of soups. Whilst many shoppers head for the carbs in the supermarkets, I have been buying the celeriac, leeks, carrots, garlic, celery, broccoli etc. Been making them for the last 2 years mainly for my parents and by having a range of flavours in their freezer they can get by when the shops have been stripped bare. Fun to make and healthy too.

Now travel is hard, web cams have become popular again apparently, the beaches in Cornwall look empty. There is also a good one at the moment showing a nesting peregrine falcon on the roof of Salisbury Cathedral.

Hang on, soup and nesting birds. What have I become?

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked
28 March, 2020 16:30
Quote:
B4thB4ck
I have been making batches of soups.

Made a hugely enourmous sort of ratatouille with courgettes, onions, peppers, tinned toms and veg scraps and frozen it. So far this week its been the base for, spag bol, cottage pie, baked potato fillings and chilli con carne.
Working as a plan as I've been banned from the kitchen this weekend!

TomReagan
TomReagan
29 March, 2020 06:23
Quote:
CoochieCoo
From Facebook Wilts Police
You might start to see these posters being put up around Wiltshire by our Community Policing Teams. We have received a lot of enquiries about what people can and can’t do at this time. Please remember we are in a pandemic that is costing many people’s lives.

Current Government restrictions DO NOT permit you to use your vehicle to travel to locations for exercise. Each and every one of us has been instructed to avoid all unnecessary travel.

We want to remind everyone that you should only use

your vehicle for essential journeys.

Current Government advice states you are able to leave your home for food shopping, any medical need or to provide care or help to a vulnerable person. Travelling to and from work is permitted, but only where you cannot work from home.

You are permitted to leave your home for one form of exercise a day, for example a run, walk with your dog, or cycle ride - alone or with members of your household. You should not be driving to a location away from home to carry this out.

We urge you to comply with the Government measures around social distancing, staying at least 2 metres apart from anyone outside of your household.
Local police questioning walkers at a car park at a local woods I use, a mile from my house. They were perfectly happy that I was there. A man who'd driven 20 miles from Bristol was told not to return. I guess another day I'll get someone with a different interpretation?

annie blackthorn
annie blackthorn
29 March, 2020 10:32
Thou shalt not …………….

Not sure helpful to reiterate government guidelines - I do know.
I drive less far for the place where can walk dog than to supermarket, pharmacy, farm shop, and eventually petrol station.
I combine my own exercise and one 'outing' a day for anything I need. I have no contact with other people.
Still I will wrestle with this dilemma.

p.s. CC - not all of us live within acres of Common to walk our dogs.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked
29 March, 2020 11:01
Quote:
annie blackthorn
Thou shalt not …………….
I drive less far for the place where can walk dog than to supermarket, pharmacy, farm shop, and eventually petrol station.
I combine my own exercise and one 'outing' a day for anything I need. I have no contact with other people.

A question of common sense though, driving a mile can be seen as local but is 20 miles really local????

MESSAGES->author
CoochieCoo
29 March, 2020 11:32
Quote:
annie blackthorn
Thou shalt not …………….

As usual you shoot the messenger and get personal! You asked a question “am I breaking the rules or not“ I copy the comments of Wiltshire Police which is clear enough for you to make up your own mind and you jump down my throat! If you seek further clarification may I suggest you send a message to Wilts Police who will advise you accordingly!

https://pbflaa.by.files.1drv.com/y4mToRbTHGUTg0zWMi8LNeOlOmx4tZHsH3crYbASv0X_qWBw8j30S9KV-RiZIf_AWoOZXD7D3Rjy1tYRAKXykpZSHuOObVQBiovPpB6PnDUuBM6xlx2F1yOjKpEBmWUfMru3SCm255j3p-CnndC7J9ZUG29r1BtfFWHHj-MdzDOpzBuTRTPqNaco8ctf1svZyW0?width=106&height=160&cropmode=none
https://pbfkaa.by.files.1drv.com/y4mhxY1k8zrLn92LwcIYgSd1KcA6zBGX-Wgw2dNz8Us0xA71EhjMmL2tc-ggx7OlsBDECw8eAZ_oAWnNyh5doimzOEics5H87cuh5Q-Sb-ViPD6Pt6QUBneu5F2tlWLltGQZ8pd5qFmsZwbKB39L5Dki21gJfnsiaxLiCiuWPCZUjkXp4EttajzFAgcCl6YuDDF?width=160&height=107&cropmode=none

MESSAGES->author
Clarkey3k
30 March, 2020 09:47
After a week in lockdown I have realised I now lead the same life as my dog! I pad around the house; sit or lie down alot; break the tedium with 2-3 meals and go out for a walk once a day. After this is over I will need to raise my game for her... (Sm7)

MESSAGES->author
woodpecker
30 March, 2020 09:48
Quote:
Clarkey3k
After a week in lockdown I have realised I now lead the same life as my dog! I pad around the house; sit or lie down alot; break the tedium with 2-3 meals and go out for a walk once a day. After this is over I will need to raise my game for her... (Sm7)

Fortunately the 2m rule means you dont have to sniff bums.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53
30 March, 2020 09:54
Quote:
woodpecker
Quote:
Clarkey3k

Fortunately the 2m rule means you dont have to sniff bums.

Thankfully there are devices available to help with this during these uncertain times

[www.fivesenses.com]

B4thB4ck
B4thB4ck
30 March, 2020 10:17
For animal lovers this webcam of a nesting peregrine falcon is worth a look, there are 3 eggs when I last saw them:-

[www.salisburycathedral.org.uk]

gaz59
gaz59
30 March, 2020 12:02
Quote:
Clarkey3k
Quote:
gaz59
Quote:
Clarkey3k

Good point, will do and must say Skype was v clunky with 6 of us involved. We talked about Zoom and Houseparty apps for next time. Anyone using either or both with views to share?

Generally Zoom is better for groups though there have been some security issues reported recently. Again, check your settings and those invited.

Skype tends to be easier to use for 1:1s though both are big players in a big, expanding market and so expect improvements and developments coming

My daughter uses houseparty and loves it though I know nothing of it. She is setting up a family quiz night on Friday so will report back. She is in Honor Oak, son in Peckham and other daughter in Glasgow. Will try to get other family members from different parts of Bath and surrounds involved so looking forward to seeing how it goes

A mate told me he uses Microsoft teams for work and it is like being on Celebrity Squares!

MESSAGES->author
Clarkey3k
30 March, 2020 15:18
gaz - I have done some research and this is what I have learned so think I know;

Zoom - the freemium model is limited to 3 users for a max of 40mins. If one pays a monthly sub then more can take part.

Houseparty sucks up your entire contact list and means anyone from there can join what you're doing at any time - A pal sent me this link about Houseparty after my original post
[www.timeout.com]
Found this from the Daily Wail - [www.dailymail.co.uk]

Happy to be corrected if this is wrong...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 30/03/2020 16:14 by Clarkey3k.

MESSAGES->author
hemington
30 March, 2020 16:12
I had a Zoom with about 12 others (total mayhem!!) which was free. Not organised by me but after 40 mins it cut off but I believe you could get another code for another meeting.

MESSAGES->author
hemington
30 March, 2020 16:14
There have been reported problems with Zoom howeverZoom Problems

John Tee
John Tee
31 March, 2020 08:27
Quote:
Clarkey3k

lol....but quite true.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53
01 April, 2020 08:14
You could always look forward to the newly polished stones at the henge when you get out?

[www.somersetlive.co.uk]

(Somerset Live making the most of today’s date clearly)

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked
08 April, 2020 17:22
If you are into Lions, giraffes, warthogs and other African stuff this is quite good. Live webcam.

Webcam

BBandW
BBandW
08 April, 2020 20:01
Randomly googling webcam + random places around the globe is quite good fun if you're bored. You can see where is, and isn't, taking isolation seriously.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53
11 April, 2020 18:38
The Belper Moo

[mobile.twitter.com]

gaz59
gaz59
12 April, 2020 11:13
Got to love the guy for this trick and the haircut to go with it

[www.rugbydump.com]

B4thB4ck
B4thB4ck
12 April, 2020 19:31
Should have the opening matches of the cricket season, alternatively......

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Dunno
Bod
12 April, 2020 20:13
1) Got all my "other"(lawn mower excluded, that always works) petrol / 2 stroke machines stripped and whizzing - great fun entertaining the queue outside Tesco on Bowerhill as I balanced on a ladder lopping dead branches off an apple tree with the chainsaw this afternoon. Powerhosed the absolute bejesuz out of the pathways and patios. Still working out how to put the petrol strimmer back together. It's not yet whizzing, but when it is the patch of stingers will be multch.

2) Watching our production plant activities at our plastic bottle recovery operations in Nigeria, Ghana and Cameroon via CCTV.(First time I've been offered the link by CEO) Our operations were granted Federal Govt lockdown exemptions given our waste management status - but only if our workforce stayed on site - effectively they sleep, eat and work in the factory precincts. Think on that - as the Factory Manager told me last Monday, they are happy to comply since they are all still on a salary and their families (extended or otherwise) know there will be an income somewhere. He did add that a good few are very happy since they only see the wife at a distance twice a day when she delivers fresh clothes and food........
There are no furloughs, tax credits, benefits etc in Sub Saharan Africa.
They did close down international banking activities for 2 weeks to stop ForEx flight.
Count your blessings folks - count them regularly.

3) Are the birds louder now? Watching the birds early morning in my garden is a new hobby - busy little beggars.

4) Cracking access back onto COML. To be fair, since 75% of contributors seem far more politically motivated than interested in Rugby, across the spectrum, it seems a pretty pointless exercise. Bath Rugby seems trapped in a cycle of ever repeating mediocrity , a sort of Spurs of Rugby - threatening great things from time to time - but ultimately achieving cock-all, despite their passionate fan base.
Cue next HC (or not in the case of directional limbo that exists at Farleigh Manor at the moment - farcical , but I guess Bruce signed off on this experiment?)

5) Netflix.................what's this all about. Rather warming to it. Peaky Blinders eh?

6) Send and receive lots of dubious "funny" vids and photos via WhatsApp - seems to cheer a few up.

Maybe Malco might reengage - he's just moved in close to my parish.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked
12 April, 2020 20:59
Great post Bod, casts a good image, yes I think the birds ARE louder! Self isolation seems to be giving nature a boost. Looking up at the sky yesterday it was really noticeable there were no vapour trails in the from planes.
We have now seen Heron, Buzzards and a massive black bird of prey with a black head which I'm convinced was an eagle!

Quote:
Bod
4) Cracking access back onto COML. To be fair, since 75% of contributors seem far more politically motivated than interested in Rugby, across the spectrum,

Don't believe it Bod, usual thing, a small minority make a lot of noise, still plenty of rugby interest, only problem is that there isn't any!

B4thB4ck
B4thB4ck
12 April, 2020 21:02
It just feels like mid summer with sunshine, no Bath rugby and not even a tour to comment on, hence we might as well talk O/T.

Re the pro cricketers and their back garden warm ups, maybe we will see similar from our rugby players? Narrow gardens could suit our recent style?

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net