Latest news:

The COML Message Board

The place for discussion, debate and nonsense about Bath Rugby.

Join our new Facebook Group today!

New visitors please read the house rules before posting

Test your prognostications at our Prediction League

Lurkers Assemble - Virtual 'Moz' Match
Discussion started by alibev (IP Logged), 24 March, 2020 11:30
alibev
alibev
24 March, 2020 11:30
Times are tough, and getting tougher, we all need a bit of light relief.

Back in the day there was a series of matches held between Bath and Briz supporters, initially in memory of Moz, latterly in support of the Maggs family, played at the Rec and the Mem.

Forgive me if I'm stepping on anyones toes, but I am proposing we re-start this as a one off 'virtual' match maybe the 'Cov' match or 'Cough' match or some such name. If folks are willing (and I'm hoping there are enough lurkers from the original matches around that I am not going to come across as an ar5e, well no more an ar5e than normal) then potentially we could:

Assemble two squads of Bath and Briz supporters, with players nominating their position so we get a good coverage of all positions.

Charge a nominal playing fee for an agreed cause.

Approach the club to make a virtual booking of the Rec, suggest after the last home game of the season (Glaws), in common with previous Moz matches.

On the day maybe have a running virtual commentary, perhaps the last commentary slot going to the highest donation.

What do you think? A goer, or should I slink back off into oblivion?

Cheers
Alibev

gaz59
gaz59
24 March, 2020 11:56
Great idea mate. I missed the first one but played in all others, usually at 10 but reckon I would be regarded as a utility back now

Equally rubbish in any position in other words

Will dust off the virtual boots and deep clean the virtual jock strap (is that a term for a male sporting g string?)

Bath Supporter Jack
Bath Supporter Jack
24 March, 2020 12:13
I played in the first one..............(well according to Opti played might be being generous with the truth)...............I am afraid Alibev I have no idea what you are going on about.........but I am in.

I played about 25 minutes in the first one at scrumhalf and my sons, now 26 and 23, were then 8 and 5 were really (modestly) impressed............"Dad you weren't as bad as we expected you to be"

How I swelled with pride!

I was subbed by Gareth............who was then a very active poster on this site but disappeared many years ago.

It was a tremendous coming together as a result of a tragic industrial accident and did a lot of good.

It is just what we will need in a few weeks time when things get really tough(Sm108)

gaz59
gaz59
24 March, 2020 12:47
The last one we played in support of a children's hospice in memory of Kevin Maggs' young daughter.

Sir Redneck
Sir Redneck
24 March, 2020 13:01
I played in both (or rather, I turned up) and had the pleasure of cuddling alibev and Ken Jnr in the front row. Good times!

Bath Supporter Jack
Bath Supporter Jack
24 March, 2020 13:14
Also, whilst I was not involved, I think that the Moz Squads begat the Bath Tubs..........or am I wrong on that?

Sir Redneck
Sir Redneck
24 March, 2020 13:22
Quote:
Bath Supporter Jack
Also, whilst I was not involved, I think that the Moz Squads begat the Bath Tubs..........or am I wrong on that?

Pretty much! That was a great crack until it got all serious........

MESSAGES->author
shendy
24 March, 2020 13:23
My photos from 30/04/2006 at the Mem
[www.shendy.co.uk]

alibev
alibev
24 March, 2020 14:11
Ah yes, well done Shendy, from memory that game was close right up until kick off...

opti
Optimist
24 March, 2020 15:30
I still wear my purple socks, with their unique - no-foot - feature!

I remember the game at the Mem, kicking a penalty to touch. Only it was right smack in the centre of the pitch. I looked left. I looked right, and thought, 'christ, only way i'm actually going to reach the touchline is by kicking it at about 2 degrees angle. I made it, but the net gain was about 6 inches.

MESSAGES->author
hasta
24 March, 2020 16:24
Great pics and memories shendy! As I recall I'd run my first ever marathon just before and was broken. At least that's my excuse for some frankly appalling nonsense.

MESSAGES->author
Robbinho
24 March, 2020 17:26
Crikey, that brings back some memories.

I played two full games in two days 300 miles apart with drinking in between - now I can barely manage 40 minutes once a year!

gaz59
gaz59
24 March, 2020 19:15
Patrick was another who took some great photos. Is he stiil around?

MESSAGES->author
CoochieCoo
24 March, 2020 19:31
Quote:
gaz59
Patrick was another who took some great photos. Is he stiil around?

Very much so. @onsideimages on Twitter.

https://pbflaa.by.files.1drv.com/y4mToRbTHGUTg0zWMi8LNeOlOmx4tZHsH3crYbASv0X_qWBw8j30S9KV-RiZIf_AWoOZXD7D3Rjy1tYRAKXykpZSHuOObVQBiovPpB6PnDUuBM6xlx2F1yOjKpEBmWUfMru3SCm255j3p-CnndC7J9ZUG29r1BtfFWHHj-MdzDOpzBuTRTPqNaco8ctf1svZyW0?width=106&height=160&cropmode=none
https://pbfkaa.by.files.1drv.com/y4mhxY1k8zrLn92LwcIYgSd1KcA6zBGX-Wgw2dNz8Us0xA71EhjMmL2tc-ggx7OlsBDECw8eAZ_oAWnNyh5doimzOEics5H87cuh5Q-Sb-ViPD6Pt6QUBneu5F2tlWLltGQZ8pd5qFmsZwbKB39L5Dki21gJfnsiaxLiCiuWPCZUjkXp4EttajzFAgcCl6YuDDF?width=160&height=107&cropmode=none

Bath Supporter Jack
Bath Supporter Jack
24 March, 2020 21:42
Opti

Surely you are being too modest........I recall when we went and did a bit of practice you rifling screw kicks for miles.............(your round when we meet up next)(Sm22)

ken_jnr
ken_jnr
24 March, 2020 22:48
Ah 2006, MMM2... they may have been fitter than us. Stronger than us. More skilful. More cohesive. Playing on their own patch. But we were there too!

Happy memories and lots if familiar faces in those pictures. Can’t believe it has been that long!

MESSAGES->author
hasta
24 March, 2020 23:47
Patrick is the official Bath Rugby photographer now!

Bath Supporter Jack
Bath Supporter Jack
25 March, 2020 09:14
Mystery Solved

I now understand why "Shendy" is so called

Mystery Unsolved

What on earth is/was the point of those stupid socks with no feet in them. And why on earth Opti are you still using them/have you kept them for all these years?

annie blackthorn
annie blackthorn
25 March, 2020 10:34
Lovely cheering memories of those days. I'd forgotten we called those who post once a year but obviously read threads regularly' lurkers'.

It did lead to a team for Fatboys7's (a not entirely serious nor sober tournament weekend organised annually by Reading ?????? RC at their ground near Caversham. Utterly utterly bonkers fun!

I was an oldie then, but suspect most of the players are now well on the way to their 40's. More memories being connected in my synapses - Sue Guscott bless her.

gaz59
gaz59
25 March, 2020 10:54
40s annie? This one is wrong side of 60! Had to stop playing 6 years ago when had pacemaker fitted but treasure the memories and photos

opti
Optimist
25 March, 2020 11:51
BFJ - a large drink is yours!

Not entirely sure how the socks have survived - but they are far from the oldest bit of sports kit that i still wear!

gaz59
gaz59
25 March, 2020 13:46
Still got my vintage BBW socks from Bath Youth/Spartans times that I last wore with pride on the rec under lights for the final moz match

MESSAGES->author
shendy
26 March, 2020 07:45
My main memory of the Moz2 game was right near the end when Ash Rowden marched Bristol backwards on a series of spurious "not 10 metres" penalties so Glen (ex-ed) could take a kick at goal.

MESSAGES->author
shendy
26 March, 2020 07:50
Quote:
hasta
Patrick is the official Bath Rugby photographer now!

Interesting that Claire Jones at Saints (aka Red Hat Photo) started shooting from the stands and has also evolved from there into the official club photographer.
She's also involved with a fabulous initiative at the Saints, looking into the WW1 histories of former Saints players.

Rolfs_Cartoon_Club
@Hydor18
26 March, 2020 08:02
There’s quite a few pictures of our physio in that album, Shendy!

Bath Supporter Jack
Bath Supporter Jack
26 March, 2020 09:26
Blimey Ashley Rowden there's a name from the past.

Good referee and seemed to be thoroughly good bloke.

Do I recall that he did some "Ask the Referee" sessions at the club on games he'd reffed at Bath.........or am I making it all up!

MESSAGES->author
CoochieCoo
26 March, 2020 09:57
Quote:
Bath Supporter Jack
Blimey Ashley Rowden there's a name from the past.
Good referee and seemed to be thoroughly good bloke.

Do I recall that he did some "Ask the Referee" sessions at the club on games he'd reffed at Bath.........or am I making it all up!

Used to post as Clive Norling The First. He was running the line a few months ago. Last seen on ‘ere on 2016.

https://pbflaa.by.files.1drv.com/y4mToRbTHGUTg0zWMi8LNeOlOmx4tZHsH3crYbASv0X_qWBw8j30S9KV-RiZIf_AWoOZXD7D3Rjy1tYRAKXykpZSHuOObVQBiovPpB6PnDUuBM6xlx2F1yOjKpEBmWUfMru3SCm255j3p-CnndC7J9ZUG29r1BtfFWHHj-MdzDOpzBuTRTPqNaco8ctf1svZyW0?width=106&height=160&cropmode=none
https://pbfkaa.by.files.1drv.com/y4mhxY1k8zrLn92LwcIYgSd1KcA6zBGX-Wgw2dNz8Us0xA71EhjMmL2tc-ggx7OlsBDECw8eAZ_oAWnNyh5doimzOEics5H87cuh5Q-Sb-ViPD6Pt6QUBneu5F2tlWLltGQZ8pd5qFmsZwbKB39L5Dki21gJfnsiaxLiCiuWPCZUjkXp4EttajzFAgcCl6YuDDF?width=160&height=107&cropmode=none

gaz59
gaz59
26 March, 2020 10:00
We almost got the real Clive Norling to ref our last match but he was already committed. He sent me a very nice email saying he would have loved to have done it [honestly] and on his suggestion we got Spreaders instead!

Bath Supporter Jack
Bath Supporter Jack
26 March, 2020 10:48
1'd like to think, and I am sure that it would be the case, that the current generation of referees would be equally generous with their time.

MESSAGES->author
Jim H
26 March, 2020 12:36
Quote:
annie blackthorn
It did lead to a team for Fatboys7's (a not entirely serious nor sober tournament weekend organised annually by Reading ?????? RC at their ground near Caversham. Utterly utterly bonkers fun!

Reading Abbey was the club. A great weekend of "r!ugby" that was... distinctly remember to rather "large" props going the length of the pitch both shouting for the other to stop running

How would a virtual game work? Also, anyone have pictures from MMM1 or MMM3?

MESSAGES->author
shendy
26 March, 2020 13:26
Quote:
@Hydor18
There’s quite a few pictures of our physio in that album, Shendy!

Er, yeah. Sorry - wouldn't do it now.

cmonbath
cmonbath
26 March, 2020 17:56
Hiya Alibev. Long time no see mate.

I think virtual re-enactment of anything involving the dancing oval ball is all I'm capable off now. I have a problem with my left knee. The problem is that it is 54 years old. Sadly, I think I'm seeing a similar condition develop in my right knee.

I came off the bench for the mighty Cerberus in I and II. So, if you're looking for an armchair Number 8 ...

Susanne
Susanne
26 March, 2020 18:03
I didn't play but I did rattle a bucket and cheer you all on in MM 1 and 2 so can I take part too?

Some very happy memories, good out of a very difficult time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 26/03/2020 18:04 by Susanne.

alibev
alibev
26 March, 2020 19:50
A few lurkers coming out of the woodwork now, and some great photos from Shendy, I've got 5 discs worth so I'll try and get some up at some point.
I'm still working on the details, but for those willing to 'play' in the virtual match, don't worry about age, levels of fitness, injuries etc, ...it's weeks away yet...and all virtual.

I'll make some more enquiries, but for starters I'll circulate a team sheet, if we could start filling that in to make sure we have good coverage across all the positions. If that goes well, I'll pop over to the Bris board and see if they can rise to the challenge.

For the original match I was living in Lancashire and training by running around a field. Some old posts here with some old twaddle.

Anyway, over to you Mes Braves...

Position

Loose Head Porp
Hooker
Tight Head Porp
Lock
Lock
Openside
Blindside
No 8
Scrum Half
Fly Half
Wing
Inside Centre
Outside Centre
Wing
Full Back

So volunteer and I'll put toether a match day squad, but be warned, I will be charging a match fee ( to go to some deserving cause)

Watch this space, off to go clap out the window
Cheers
Alibev

Bath Supporter Jack
Bath Supporter Jack
26 March, 2020 23:14
I have already started an intensive campaign of fitness and virtual capability.

I am achieving this by spending hours on my sofa resting my laptop on this very convenient shelf that seems to have miraculously appeared since MM1 just for this occasion. (Sm22)

gaz59
gaz59
27 March, 2020 12:39
Quote:
alibev
A few lurkers coming out of the woodwork now, and some great photos from Shendy, I've got 5 discs worth so I'll try and get some up at some point.
I'm still working on the details, but for those willing to 'play' in the virtual match, don't worry about age, levels of fitness, injuries etc, ...it's weeks away yet...and all virtual.

I'll make some more enquiries, but for starters I'll circulate a team sheet, if we could start filling that in to make sure we have good coverage across all the positions. If that goes well, I'll pop over to the Bris board and see if they can rise to the challenge.

For the original match I was living in Lancashire and training by running around a field. Some old posts here with some old twaddle.

Anyway, over to you Mes Braves...

Position

Loose Head Porp
Hooker
Tight Head Porp
Lock
Lock
Openside
Blindside
No 8
Scrum Half
Fly Half
Wing
Inside Centre
Outside Centre
Wing
Full Back

So volunteer and I'll put toether a match day squad, but be warned, I will be charging a match fee ( to go to some deserving cause)

Watch this space, off to go clap out the window
Cheers
Alibev

As before Ali, really like the idea and I can [forget that, could or even more accurately, did] play 10 but happy to be a utility back or an impact sub and time, beer and pasties have meant it will be an even bigger impact than previously!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net