Latest news:

The COML Message Board

The place for discussion, debate and nonsense about Bath Rugby.

Join our new Facebook Group today!

New visitors please read the house rules before posting

Test your prognostications at our Prediction League

Players out of contract - what next?
Discussion started by Bod (IP Logged), 03 April, 2020 11:28
Dunno
Bod
03 April, 2020 11:28
Having read this article about an ex Bath player and his worries regarding his future playing trajectory, I reflected that there must be a good few other players off contract in May/June who will be facing similar uncomfortable limbo. This will especially affect those playing pro rugby a little below the top tiers

Having been involved in some lower level Semi-Pro Recruitment activities in the past, there are only so many matchplay videos and CV scrutiny that the recruiting clubs will lay credence to.
Face to face discussions, and 3/4 days trials are essential, plus a character evaluation during this process will ultimately prove vital for a coach looking at best options for his next squad.

In the illustration I offer, I can't see Carl kicking his heels too long after some normality returns to our day to day living.

I still scratch my head, and wonder why Bath ever let him leave in the first place, he has the kind of "mongrel" in him that reminded me of Danny - he's been ripping it up in Pro2 and T14, and it wouldn't surprise me if he ended up remaining in France.

Carl Fearns in limbo in France

BathMatt53
BathMatt53
03 April, 2020 11:41
What do you mean 'ever let him leave'?

[www.rugbyworld.com]

RW: Were you pushed out?

CF: No, I wasn’t. It was my decision, I wanted to leave.

Besides, he wasn't showing too much form at that time - possibly because of a lack of playing time? Then add Sam Burgess to the equation...

[Adoptee 19 / 20: The High ball and counter attack meister, Tom Homer]

gaz59
gaz59
03 April, 2020 11:55
If the Burgess project had come off, he would have been awesome in union.

But sorry, the thread title is just a trojan horse to sneak another pop at the club

Bath Rugby like so many other clubs across the sporting world have got a lot to figure out to make sense of things and come to decisions that are a) organisationally and financially sound now b) best prepare the club for when some kind of pitch activity starts up c) fair as far as possible to existing players on and out of contract given a) and b) and d) keep supporters on board and e) look after self wellbeing trying to fit that blooky puzzle together

FFS cut them some slack

Dunno
Bod
03 April, 2020 13:05
Quote:
gaz59
If the Burgess project had come off, he would have been awesome in union.
But sorry, the thread title is just a trojan horse to sneak another pop at the club

I refute your premise.
I just wished to highlight a problem that the majority of players. who play below the top tiers of rugby and who aspire, for a few seasons of lower pro, semi-pro rugby somewhere in the world will be encountering.

Can I assume this is territory you are unfamiliar with?

If the example I've used is topical and I have a point of view regarding that event, do I need your permission to express it, or is there a COML conduit through which I should have my postings reviewed to ensure editorial compliance?

What's the score gaz?

I feel for your sensitivities, and apologise if you perceive malice in my motivations

(Sm3)

John Tee
John Tee
03 April, 2020 13:13
They have this problem every few years....and always are at the mercy of who is buying for what reason.
The current environment is just another factor and part of a contract environment.

I doubt there will be many clubs taking on expenses when they cant see the end of very low revenues.
Welcome to the real world.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53
03 April, 2020 13:42
Which of us even knows the individual situations? Maybe a few of them have had good offers but have an over-inflated view of their own worth so were holding out for something better...and now are in limbo?

[Adoptee 19 / 20: The High ball and counter attack meister, Tom Homer]

gaz59
gaz59
03 April, 2020 14:11
"I refute your premise.
I just wished to highlight a problem that the majority of players. who play below the top tiers of rugby and who aspire, for a few seasons of lower pro, semi-pro rugby somewhere in the world will be encountering.

Can I assume this is territory you are unfamiliar with?"

Of course you can and despite my unfamiliarity with this industry the problem strikes many accord with those sectors in which I am familiar. I fully empathise with the issues and challenges for those in the lower tiers of their profession or occupation

My problem was the use of Carl Fearns as the example when the link to your main point was unclear, to me at least, and appeared more about your beef with BRFC than the wider issue

ballsout
ballsout
03 April, 2020 21:51
Wasn't he calling himself the best number 8 in the country a year or so ago? That was pretty funny. Around the same time he reneged on his Gloucester contract.

B4thB4ck
B4thB4ck
03 April, 2020 22:30
Good right jab though!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net