Latest news:

The COML Message Board

The place for discussion, debate and nonsense about Bath Rugby.

Join our new Facebook Group today!

New visitors please read the house rules before posting

Test your prognostications at our Prediction League

Ackermann leaving glos
Discussion started by woodpecker (IP Logged), 15 May, 2020 08:36
MESSAGES->author
woodpecker
15 May, 2020 08:36
In July, Johan Ackermann will be leaving Gloucester Rugby to join the NTT DoCoMo Red Hurricanes in Japan.

Johan approached us a couple of weeks ago to say that he had been presented with a few coaching opportunities, and for personal reasons would like permission to pursue them. Understanding his personal reasons, we granted him that permission.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53
15 May, 2020 08:43
I saw the rumours but that's still a bit of a surprise. Dai Young to Glos or will they headhunt Hoops?

[Adoptee 19 / 20: The High ball and counter attack meister, Tom Homer]

westglos
westglos
15 May, 2020 08:45
Cockerill I reckon.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53
15 May, 2020 08:47
Quote:
westglos
Cockerill I reckon.

I think he only came out a day or two ago saying that he wanted to renew at Edinburgh as the job was only half done? Interested to see what shakes out.

K-Nut
Bod
15 May, 2020 08:49
Quote:
westglos
Cockerill I reckon.

I think Cockers is quite happy as King of his domain up north of the border and wouldn't want to fall back into a similar snake pit to the one he left in Leicester.

Just saying

Dave248
Dave248
15 May, 2020 08:49
The way the article ends sounds to me as if no immediate replacement more of internal restructuring? Lots of talk of player power pushing for this one and they got what they wanted. Interesting

BathMatt53
BathMatt53
15 May, 2020 08:52
Quote:
Dave248
Lots of talk of player power pushing for this one and they got what they wanted.

I heard the same...various reasons. If that's the case you would also expect Ruan to be unsettled?

MESSAGES->author
woodpecker
15 May, 2020 08:54
Here's the whole thing, its from an email, for some reason Im on a glos dist list

(Sm124)

I wanted to write to you personally before this news is published shortly. In July, Johan Ackermann will be leaving Gloucester Rugby to join the NTT DoCoMo Red Hurricanes in Japan.

Johan approached us a couple of weeks ago to say that he had been presented with a few coaching opportunities, and for personal reasons would like permission to pursue them. Understanding his personal reasons, we granted him that permission.

We of course wish him all the very best in his new adventure.

As we have known about Johan’s plans for a little while, David Humphreys has drawn up a shortlist of potential candidates, and now that things are finalised between Johan and the Red Hurricanes we can start the process of approaching our potential candidates.

Once we have agreed on the appointment of a new Head Coach we will let you know.

I have obviously seen the speculation over the last few days. It would have been good to be able to let you know about this matter sooner, but given that things have only just been finalised I hope you understand the reasons for only letting you know now.

There have been some pretty wild suggestions in the press and on social media about what is happening within our Club. Life is too short to refute all of them, but what I would say is that, as I’m sure you know, you cannot believe everything you read. We have a great squad of players, coaches, support staff and commercial staff. We’re strong as a team and we will continue to work together to bring the success to Gloucester Rugby that we all strive for.

Bathovalballer
Bathovalballer
15 May, 2020 09:39
This is a great shame. I liked the way Mr A was honest and not afraid to answer difficult questions and best of all, seemed to genuinely enjoy the job.

We could have done a lot worse IMV than bring him to the Rec.

I wish him well.

Adopted player 2019/20 Jonathan 'JJ' Joseph.

The Jink Joseph.

Adopted player 2018/19 Adopted player 2018/19 Semesa 'The Rock' Rokoduguni

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked
15 May, 2020 10:06
Quote:
Bathovalballer
This is a great shame. I liked the way Mr A was honest and not afraid to answer difficult questions and best of all, seemed to genuinely enjoy the job.

I wish him well.

Problem is BoB thats the problem with this kind of approach, the top guys follow the money, if we had taken him on he would have walked out on us. At least Hooper will stay more that 18 months!

https://i.ibb.co/gjWyP09/Unknown-1-2.jpg

Beno Obano Age 25 years, Loosehead prop, 5ft 8ins 18st 12lbs 'Mauls are like Transformers' they change form to become more powerful!

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath
15 May, 2020 10:10
Quote:
shipwrecked
Quote:
Bathovalballer

I wish him well.

Problem is BoB thats the problem with this kind of approach, the top guys follow the money, if we had taken him on he would have walked out on us. At least Hooper will stay more that 18 months!

Be interesting to see if one of those top guys will be happy for a stint at Bath in 18 months when Hooper goes.

MESSAGES->author
hasta
15 May, 2020 10:11
Be interesting to understand what happened this year with Ackermann. An impressive guy, and fantastic last year, but good grief Glos reverted to flakey type this season.

DanWiley
DanWiley
15 May, 2020 10:14
Quote:
shipwrecked
the top guys follow the money,

Can we get the chequebook out then, because we've got money and it's not capped. Not necessarily for these guys but let's gett he best in the world if that's the way it works. Having someone who isn't up to it because they won't leave seems a poor idea.

dcsh
dcsh
15 May, 2020 10:15
I wonder if there is a cost aspect to this for Glos. there have a pretty high profile DoR and had a very influential Head Coach. The two of them must have cost a decent amount and at a time when salaries are being cut and income is in short supply maybe they were fine with Ackermann moving to someone else payroll?

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked
15 May, 2020 10:16
Quote:
OutsideBath
Quote:
shipwrecked
Quote:
Bathovalballer

I wish him well.

Be interesting to see if one of those top guys will be happy for a stint at Bath in 18 months when Hooper goes.

Do we want that OB? A season of good rugby, no trophies, then back to finding a coach.

Beno Obano Age 25 years, Loosehead prop, 5ft 8ins 18st 12lbs 'Mauls are like Transformers' they change form to become more powerful!

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath
15 May, 2020 10:23
Quote:
shipwrecked
Quote:
OutsideBath
Quote:
shipwrecked
Quote:
Bathovalballer

I wish him well.

Do we want that OB? A season of good rugby, no trophies, then back to finding a coach.

With a top DOR and head coach we could at least challenge for trophies which would give us a little entertainment so I’d settle for that.

As it stands we’ve got another 18 months of failure.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked
15 May, 2020 10:34
Have Gloucester not got a similar prospect by your criteria?

MESSAGES->author
hasta
15 May, 2020 10:34
Right, but what's clear is that 'a top DOR and head coach' is a lot harder to identify and recruit than you might think. Who would have picked McCall after finishing 5th with Castres? Baxter grew organically over a decade at Ex. Cockerill's doing well at Edinburgh now, but was a disaster last few years at Tigers (who, tbf, probably had major structural issues). Diamond's won jack-all, Boyd's Saints have a weak underbelly, Ackermann will ultimately go down as a failure.

Pat Lam's building well (helps with all that money and a fresh start from the Championship) but he's probably the only one outside of Ex/Sarries.

MESSAGES->author
woodpecker
15 May, 2020 10:51
Yes, also each club has a very different environment its not one size fits all.

John Tee
John Tee
15 May, 2020 13:34
I'm surprised he has gone but this season has been a mess and that is only viewing from the outside.
They werent performing and even worse, werent looking like they could fix things so i think collectively the dressing room werent behind him.

I think they have a far better squad than results have showed and that means something had to change.
What prompted JA to consider Japan would likely be a great financial offer and being unhappy or undermined at Glaws.

What now happens with Ruan and which side was Cips on in any dressing room split.
If the players wanted a more conservative approach and that forced out JA, then maybe Cips will follow?

Kidney Stone
Kidney Stone
15 May, 2020 15:59
Quote:
shipwrecked
Quote:
OutsideBath
Quote:
shipwrecked
Quote:
Bathovalballer

I wish him well.

A season of good rugby sounds rather attractive right now.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked
15 May, 2020 16:06
Quote:
Kidney Stone
Quote:
shipwrecked
Quote:
OutsideBath
Quote:
shipwrecked
Quote:
Bathovalballer

I wish him well.

Oh come on KS, this is our best season for ages. we've been consistently in the top 6 since January!

Kaapstad
Kaapstad
15 May, 2020 16:42
I would be surprised if Dai Young went for the job. I had the impression he wanted a break from rugby for a while? My money would be on Rob Howley at the moment.

John Tee
John Tee
15 May, 2020 17:53
Lancaster likely too expensive. I think if Teague is considered by the squad, he stands a good chance.
Knows the team and its makeup, and not likely to break to bank..

bardofavon
bardofavon
15 May, 2020 19:40
no smoke without fire. i wouldnt believe the family excuses and missing south africa stuff. didnt the son barely escape with his life when he went back in the summer?
ackerman took glos away from its traditions and stuffed the playing staff with saffers. it became unrecognisable as a traditional english club.

what happens now? will his son plus all the other bokke now head off back to the high veldt?

if there was player unrest you can bet cipriani was involved in it.

Kidney Stone
Kidney Stone
16 May, 2020 11:52
Quote:
shipwrecked
Quote:
Kidney Stone
Quote:
shipwrecked
Quote:
OutsideBath
Quote:
shipwrecked
Quote:
Bathovalballer

I wish him well.

Oh come on KS, this is our best season for ages. we've been consistently in the top 6 since January!

Fair point.
I will indeed concede that we have been able to keep pace with the pack over recent months.

OldMarovian
OldMarovian
16 May, 2020 12:36
Another DoR/Head coach decides that Cips isn't worth the hassle?
How on earth Humphreys retains his post is a mystery too.

Glaws season being the next one carries on ...

Teague is an exceptional coach IMO. Was great at Saracens and did well for much of his time in France. I can see legitimate questions about whether you want both a relatively inexperienced Head Coach and Director of Rugby but I think he'd be a good option especially as I don't see either Lancaster or Cockerill as moving from their current positions.

Best of luck.

dannyf2
dannyf2
16 May, 2020 15:28
This has made me think that the root-and-branch homegrown approach that Bath has gone for in Hoops etc. - while being less exciting in the short run - will protect us from this kind of volatility in the long run. I'm happy that at last we're building sustainably from within - if a little impatient with the lack of tries atm. I genuinely think it will get better though. No shocks. Only upwards.
I wonder what Gloucester will do next.

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath
16 May, 2020 18:05
Quote:
dannyf2
This has made me think that the root-and-branch homegrown approach that Bath has gone for in Hoops etc. - while being less exciting in the short run - will protect us from this kind of volatility in the long run. I'm happy that at last we're building sustainably from within - if a little impatient with the lack of tries atm. I genuinely think it will get better though. No shocks. Only upwards.

Will you still be happy with this approach though if we haven’t made another PL final in 5 or 10 years?

My opinion is obvious, just interested in what you think.

dannyf2
dannyf2
16 May, 2020 20:50
Quote:
OutsideBath
Quote:
dannyf2

Will you still be happy with this approach though if we haven’t made another PL final in 5 or 10 years?

I'm confident we will. We'll beg to differ on that one I suppose!

dcsh
dcsh
16 May, 2020 22:58
Quote:
OutsideBath
Quote:
dannyf2

Haven’t you noticed that the series of big name coaches that we have brought in over the last 10 years have only made one prem final? I would suggest the lack of stability has contributed to the lack of success.

DanWiley
DanWiley
17 May, 2020 08:42
I agree that coaching instability had been a big problem of ours and bringing in a long term DoR that has a vision that goes beyond the relatively short term plans of a head coach would be a great thing. I just don't see in hooper what others apparently do, because just getting someone in isn't a solution, it has to the right person.

That said, he is in and probably needs 3-5 years to show whether he can do it.

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath
17 May, 2020 08:51
I wouldn’t say Ford or Blackadder we’re big name coaches and I think with the former we might have won something (at least we’d have a top class 10).

We need an experienced DOR possibly working with an upcoming HC. Hooper is neither as he has no qualifications to be HC or experience to be DOR.

Stability is good, but you have to have the correct person appointed in the first place.

Back to the topic it will be interesting to see if Glos follow our route of appointing an apprentice or go for experience.

dcsh
dcsh
17 May, 2020 09:42
You forget Ian McGeechan and then Gary Gold.

Do you really think an RFU coaching certificate is more important than 15 years as a pro rugby player in a leadership position for most of his career?
Hooper is only half a season in and we currently sit pretty much where we have with all those other coaches/DoRs.

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath
17 May, 2020 10:00
Quote:
dcsh
You forget Ian McGeechan and then Gary Gold.
Do you really think an RFU coaching certificate is more important than 15 years as a pro rugby player in a leadership position for most of his career?
Hooper is only half a season in and we currently sit pretty much where we have with all those other coaches/DoRs.

Coaching badges are essential and I think the PL should bring in rules like footballs where you can’t have the top job without them.

As for our league position, personally I believe our cabbage patch pitch helped negate some opponents to help us win games we might otherwise have lost.

Anyway it doesn’t matter what I think, Hooper is with us for another 18 months.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 17/05/2020 11:11 by OutsideBath.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53
17 May, 2020 10:12
Coaching badges are essential IMO if you are a top level coach. People In the coaching team like Charteris and Lilley are lvl3 coaches IIRC. Hooper is a DOR. Not sure how many RFU badges Hooper has but do you think that genuinely makes any difference in the context of the wider coaching team?

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath
17 May, 2020 11:13
Quote:
BathMatt53
Coaching badges are essential IMO if you are a top level coach. People In the coaching team like Charteris and Lilley are lvl3 coaches IIRC. Hooper is a DOR. Not sure how many RFU badges Hooper has but do you think that genuinely makes any difference in the context of the wider coaching team?

If Hooper is doing any coaching then yes it does. DOR should have separate qualifications along with years of experience in coaching.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53
17 May, 2020 11:20
Quote:
OutsideBath
Quote:
BathMatt53

If Hooper is doing any coaching then yes it does. DOR should have separate qualifications along with years of experience in coaching.

He does have years (over a decade) experience listening and learning from some of the best coaches in the business. I don't think that there is a DOR qualification? Hoops should get himself booked on an RFU lvl 1 sharpish - only takes a day I'm sure he will come back a different man!

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked
17 May, 2020 11:29
Missing one thing there OB, the ability to do the job. I do agree that qualifications for some jobs are essential, doctors, dentists, lawyers etc but not always!

I worked with loads of trades and the bricky who could lay bricks but didn't have a City and Guilds they would be my first choice every time.

Hooper was described by Rhys Webb as DOR and Hatley was described as head coach. Not sure its that important.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53
17 May, 2020 11:51
Quote:
shipwrecked
Missing one thing there OB, the ability to do the job. I do agree that qualifications for some jobs are essential, doctors, dentists, lawyers etc but not always!
I worked with loads of trades and the bricky who could lay bricks but didn't have a City and Guilds they would be my first choice every time.

Hooper was described by Rhys Webb as DOR and Hatley was described as head coach. Not sure its that important.

Or put it another way, I have a few RFU coaching badges and I wouldn't be fit to tell Hoops how to put a sock on let alone how to coach a premiership rugby team.

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath
17 May, 2020 11:54
Take your point SW, although I wouldn’t employ an unqualified electrician.

Experience is important, but in certain jobs I put greater emphasis on qualifications. Certainly don’t believe anyone should be permitted to take up the DOR role without some years as a qualified HC.

We are where we are though and I guess we’ll just have to wait and see who is DOR in 18 months time.

John Tee
John Tee
17 May, 2020 12:21
Quote:
BathMatt53
Quote:
shipwrecked

Or put it another way, I have a few RFU coaching badges and I wouldn't be fit to tell Hoops how to put a sock on let alone how to coach a premiership rugby team.

I go for this...experience over qualifications in this case. In our office, young guys need acreditation because they've got nothing else.
Older guys breeze the praticals because they have the tee shirt.

Bath Supporter Jack
Bath Supporter Jack
17 May, 2020 13:37
I have been watching Bath for 20 years and I would say over that period the biggest problem has been the lack of stability in coaches someone with a better memory than me can go through the whole list starting with Jack Rowell up to Blackadder.

One easily forgotten I know is Sir Clive!

DanWiley
DanWiley
17 May, 2020 13:51
I don't think qualifications are any substitute for ability, and you can certainly get the qualifications without the ability.

There is, or certainly was, a DoR qualification, but I'm not sure it's assumed at premiership level.

John Tee
John Tee
17 May, 2020 17:12
Sounds like Glaws fans feel pretty let down and i think they have good cause to.
He always talked a good game about building something at the club but cut and run pdq.

Maybe there was a power struggle and he lost... but they seem to need a new coaching team.
If Teague gets it, then his coaches will still be new and probably inexperienced unless senior players step in..
It sounds like they've had input already...which on the past season, didnt work out too well....???

OldMarovian
OldMarovian
17 May, 2020 17:19
Quote:
BathMatt53
put it another way, I have a few RFU coaching badges and I wouldn't be fit to tell Hoops how to put a sock on let alone how to coach a premiership rugby team.

I'm not sure we can believe you until we know what sock putting on badges you currently have? (Sm6)

BathMatt53
BathMatt53
17 May, 2020 17:21
Quote:
OldMarovian
Quote:
BathMatt53
put it another way, I have a few RFU coaching badges and I wouldn't be fit to tell Hoops how to put a sock on let alone how to coach a premiership rugby team.

I'm not sure we can believe you until we know what sock putting on badges you currently have? (Sm6)

Just level 1 on socks OM I’m afraid.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53
18 May, 2020 20:11
Quote:

He definitely has the versatility that Eddie likes - lock, 6 and 8 in the squad would be useful.

dcsh
dcsh
18 May, 2020 20:18
He said he want to play for England not long after he arrived, so with the years he already has at Gloucester it’s not a surprise that he plans to stay to get eligibility via residency.

K-Nut
Bod
19 May, 2020 19:18
Rory Teague seems to be taking charge

Good move - he has a very wise head on young shoulders, and experience beyond his years

(Sm72)

charlieboa
charlieboa
25 May, 2020 10:34
Dreyer and possibly ackermann jr also off as well as mostart.

Some big losses

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer
25 May, 2020 11:22
Quote:
OutsideBath
Quote:
shipwrecked
Quote:
OutsideBath
Quote:
shipwrecked
Quote:
Bathovalballer

I wish him well.

With a top DOR and head coach we could at least challenge for trophies which would give us a little entertainment so I’d settle for that.

WOULD WE???

As it stands we’ve got another 18 months of failure.

HAVE WE???

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer
25 May, 2020 11:24
Quote:
charlieboa
Dreyer and possibly ackermann jr also off as well as mostart.
Some big losses

What ........follow Daddy AGAIN??

dcsh
dcsh
25 May, 2020 19:30
There was some talk on one of the podcasts I listen to (I think it was The Ruck), that Gloucester could have some financial issues, so Ackerman and high profile (salary) players leaving could be part of righting the ship...

John Tee
John Tee
27 May, 2020 13:58
The Humphrey angle is new- ish but not the players.
I'd expect Mostert to be allowed to leave if he wants to...
Dreyer has been injured so they've never seen his value.
Reported to be world class though.
RA has said he wants to qualify for England.

DH wanting RH over Teague is intriguing if the players want the latter. That does indeed sound like a power struggle.
Theyd lose players to retain DH in this struggle...so not sure the club will want that ...or maybe it is a way to clear decks in wholesale reduction of wages and the players will definitely not want that.

I think resumption of games cant come soon enough...so clubs know where they stand..

P G Tips
P G Tips
02 June, 2020 17:30
Humphreys too according to BBC.

PG

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net