Latest news:

The COML Message Board

The place for discussion, debate and nonsense about Bath Rugby.

Join our new Facebook Group today!

New visitors please read the house rules before posting

Test your prognostications at our Prediction League

Goto Page: 123456789Next
Current Page: 1 of 9
O/T Coronavirus discussion topics
Discussion started by CoochieCoo (IP Logged), 18 May, 2020 18:36
MESSAGES->author
CoochieCoo
18 May, 2020 18:36
Fill your boots!

https://pbflaa.by.files.1drv.com/y4mToRbTHGUTg0zWMi8LNeOlOmx4tZHsH3crYbASv0X_qWBw8j30S9KV-RiZIf_AWoOZXD7D3Rjy1tYRAKXykpZSHuOObVQBiovPpB6PnDUuBM6xlx2F1yOjKpEBmWUfMru3SCm255j3p-CnndC7J9ZUG29r1BtfFWHHj-MdzDOpzBuTRTPqNaco8ctf1svZyW0?width=106&height=160&cropmode=none
https://pbfkaa.by.files.1drv.com/y4mhxY1k8zrLn92LwcIYgSd1KcA6zBGX-Wgw2dNz8Us0xA71EhjMmL2tc-ggx7OlsBDECw8eAZ_oAWnNyh5doimzOEics5H87cuh5Q-Sb-ViPD6Pt6QUBneu5F2tlWLltGQZ8pd5qFmsZwbKB39L5Dki21gJfnsiaxLiCiuWPCZUjkXp4EttajzFAgcCl6YuDDF?width=160&height=107&cropmode=none

MESSAGES->author
woodpecker
18 May, 2020 17:31
Quote:
DanWiley
Quote:
king of the hill
Slight correction of terminology required. R0 is fixed for the virus for the initial population and environmental factors and does not change

But the environmental factors DO change. If you're basing R0 on the conditions during the winter you're talking about a number that has little bearing on the conditions today. You can't calculate HIT from that, which is what shipwrecked was trying to do in order to speculate on when we'll reach (or not) herd immunity. I think this is just highlighting how this number really shouldn't be the talking point it is.

I dont know how they come up with it but R0 doesnt change, its just how infectious the virus is - how capable it is at infecting in general. like compared with measles

In epidemiology, the basic reproduction number (sometimes called basic reproductive ratio, or incorrectly basic reproductive rate, and denoted R0, pronounced R nought or R zero[19]) of an infection can be thought of as the expected number of cases directly generated by one case in a population where all individuals are susceptible to infection.[16] The definition describes the state where no other individuals are infected or immunized (naturally or through vaccination). Some definitions, such as that of the Australian Department of Health, add absence of "any deliberate intervention in disease transmission".[20] The basic reproduction number is not to be confused with the effective reproduction number R (or Re), which is the number of cases generated in the current state of a population, which does not have to be the uninfected state. By definition, R0 cannot be modified through vaccination campaigns. Also, it is important to note that R0 is a dimensionless number and not a rate, which would have units of time-1,[21] or units of time like doubling time.

For measles, R0 is often cited to be 12–18, which means that each person with measles would, on average, infect 12–18 other people in a totally susceptible population

DanWiley
DanWiley
18 May, 2020 17:41
"R nought or R zero[19]) of an infection can be thought of as the expected number of cases directly generated by one case in a population where all individuals are susceptible to infection."

That is currently different now from what it was in January. I don't mind if you want to use the definition that is the value at the time the infection broke out. But it makes it irrelevant months later and just a rather unhelpful value in general.

MESSAGES->author
woodpecker
18 May, 2020 17:55
Quote:
DanWiley
"R nought or R zero[19]) of an infection can be thought of as the expected number of cases directly generated by one case in a population where all individuals are susceptible to infection."
That is currently different now from what it was in January. I don't mind if you want to use the definition that is the value at the time the infection broke out. But it makes it irrelevant months later and just a rather unhelpful value in general.

R0 isnt different its the same in January, or in 2025 unless it mutates i guess, its for a population where zero people have had it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 18/05/2020 17:55 by woodpecker.

DanWiley
DanWiley
18 May, 2020 18:01
Sorry, your article says it's dependent on the environment, that environment changes.

MESSAGES->author
woodpecker
18 May, 2020 18:02
Quote:
DanWiley
Sorry, your article says it's dependent on the environment, that environment changes.

You mean like the weather?

DanWiley
DanWiley
18 May, 2020 18:05
Well, that would affect the number of people infected by a single case, but it's broader than that.

"R0 is not a biological constant for a pathogen as it is also affected by other factors such as environmental conditions and the behaviour of the infected population"

MESSAGES->author
woodpecker
18 May, 2020 18:13
The whole point of it is that it is a biological constant. Clearly thats impossible as no two places on earth are the same, but its supposed to be a yardstick to compare infectiousness.

As per the Australian caveat its supposed to be what happens when nobody had heard of it and there is no mitigation/change in behaviour.

Im not saying its perfect, annd it probably no longer exists anywhere on earth so I guess the chinese data will be what its based on.

The one the government like is Re that could be 0 or 1000 depedning on what the humans do.

John Tee
John Tee
18 May, 2020 18:13
NI go further in relaxing lockdown.

DanWiley
DanWiley
18 May, 2020 18:16
The article you posted from literally says is NOT a biological constant.

K-Nut
Bod
18 May, 2020 18:53
Quote:
Bath Supporter Jack
Really are we so much worse than our near neighbours Spain, Italy, Belgium and France. Netherlands, Sweden (despite it appears a bit less lockdown) and Ireland a bit better than all of those.
Obviously much worse than Germany who for a Western Country with a big population have done really well and I think going forward we need to have a very, very good look at how they manage healthcare/care. They spend a bit more as %'age of GDP than us, but also as a percentage of spend public spending is a bit lower than us....

Spain will continue to smoulder across the spring and summer

smoking smiley

John Tee
John Tee
18 May, 2020 19:46
I'm confused, is this the pretend thread or for facts too.

MESSAGES->author
CoochieCoo
18 May, 2020 19:55
Quote:
John Tee

Anything not do with the science e.g. politics, world, comparisons, blame games, opinions on timing etc

Factual info on current developments on the other thread.

The idea is to keep the politics and arguments out of the other thread so that it becomes a go to thread for reference.

https://pbflaa.by.files.1drv.com/y4mToRbTHGUTg0zWMi8LNeOlOmx4tZHsH3crYbASv0X_qWBw8j30S9KV-RiZIf_AWoOZXD7D3Rjy1tYRAKXykpZSHuOObVQBiovPpB6PnDUuBM6xlx2F1yOjKpEBmWUfMru3SCm255j3p-CnndC7J9ZUG29r1BtfFWHHj-MdzDOpzBuTRTPqNaco8ctf1svZyW0?width=106&height=160&cropmode=none
https://pbfkaa.by.files.1drv.com/y4mhxY1k8zrLn92LwcIYgSd1KcA6zBGX-Wgw2dNz8Us0xA71EhjMmL2tc-ggx7OlsBDECw8eAZ_oAWnNyh5doimzOEics5H87cuh5Q-Sb-ViPD6Pt6QUBneu5F2tlWLltGQZ8pd5qFmsZwbKB39L5Dki21gJfnsiaxLiCiuWPCZUjkXp4EttajzFAgcCl6YuDDF?width=160&height=107&cropmode=none

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 18/05/2020 19:57 by CoochieCoo.

MESSAGES->author
woodpecker
18 May, 2020 20:05
Quote:
John Tee

So you can post a true fact on one site, then if you have an opinion on it, you post that on the other site.

MESSAGES->author
CoochieCoo
18 May, 2020 20:24
Quote:
woodpecker
Quote:
John Tee

So you can post a true fact on one site, then if you have an opinion on it, you post that on the other site.

A fact is a fact however if there an alternative view to that fact backed up by science then debate it on the other thread but if you just don’t agree with the fact and wish to express an alternative view to debate then use this thread.

BerkeleyWood
The Bear
18 May, 2020 21:00
What does Coronavirus discussion topics even mean? The old thread title - Coronavirus - was much clearer. I knew exactly what I needed to post. Now there is confusion. Where is the detailed guidance? I guess this is a win for the discussion topic-sceptics...

Besides it is too early to release discussion topics... We're still not sure the forum has adequate capacity for discussion posts and we should wait until discussion posts are eliminated before we release them. Despite a recent uptick the threaddown was working and we could have been safe.

Not to mention the slow initial response compared to other forums, who implemented Coronavirus threads far earlier. Now have a far higher number of discussion topic posts. Why didn't the moderators act earlier?

(I take it this is a proper use of the Coronavirus discussion topics - CDT - thread?).

Adopted Player:
[18] - Taulupe Faletau

MESSAGES->author
joethefanatic
18 May, 2020 21:08
I understand the thought behind this split but I think it is causing a lot of confusion and hindering discussion and debate.

I would vote for a merge of the 2 threads.

... IMHO, of course.

Now in Honolulu

MESSAGES->author
CoochieCoo
18 May, 2020 21:27
Quote:
joethefanatic
I understand the thought behind this split but I think it is causing a lot of confusion and hindering discussion and debate.
I would vote for a merge of the 2 threads.

As I said discuss the science on the fact thread other political debate ‘ere! Stay Alert!

Mike the Taxi
Mike the Taxi
18 May, 2020 21:20
[www.dailymail.co.uk] - Soames travels to Scotland

Think you meant this thread Mike so have moved it!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 18/05/2020 21:31 by CoochieCoo.

K-Nut
Bod
18 May, 2020 21:43
Confirmation of Denmark halving social distancing

A couple of usefully balanced caveats, but I read it basically as "Use your common sense" and don't get too hung up on hand gels.

(Sm85)

"We are here clarifying that in most cases, a minimum of 1 meter is sufficient," the (Danish Health) Authority said in a press release.

"The most important thing about preventing the spread of infection with Covid-19 is that people with symptoms self-isolate in their own homes or are isolated in hospital," Søren Brostrøm, the authority's Director General, said in the release."

D'you reckon this would be a science based decision?

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked
18 May, 2020 23:36
Donald Trump is taking hydroxychloroquine as a prophylactic to ward of Covid-19.

Controversy about this drug, trials are unable to agree if its effective but the Brazilian trial was stopped as it caused heart issues in a lot of patients.

https://i.ibb.co/gjWyP09/Unknown-1-2.jpg

Beno Obano Age 25 years, Loosehead prop, 5ft 8ins 18st 12lbs 'Mauls are like Transformers' they change form to become more powerful!

MESSAGES->author
joethefanatic
18 May, 2020 23:41
Quote:
shipwrecked
Donald Trump is taking hydroxychloroquine as a prophylactic to ward of Covid-19.
Controversy about this drug, trials are unable to agree if its effective but the Brazilian trial was stopped as it caused heart issues in a lot of patients.

The QTC prolongation is well known with HCQ. It has been used to treat autoimmune diseases firva very lomg time and the effect is well documented.

... IMHO, of course.

Now in Honolulu

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked
18 May, 2020 23:49
Quote:
joethefanatic
Quote:
shipwrecked

The QTC prolongation is well known with HCQ. It has been used to treat autoimmune diseases firva very lomg time and the effect is well documented.

Given the risks, why on earth would he do this if he hadn't tested positive for Covid-19? Is he trying to promote the drug?

Some of his followers will surely copy him and they will not have the 24/7 medical attention the President of the US has. Someone will die.

Beno Obano Age 25 years, Loosehead prop, 5ft 8ins 18st 12lbs 'Mauls are like Transformers' they change form to become more powerful!

gaz59
gaz59
18 May, 2020 22:39
It's a fact that I cannot remember the last time Johnson appeared at a no 10 briefing. It is also a fact that I believe a scientific test will prove he had the virus and is still suffering from it

It is a fact that an unwell PM is not fit to lead the country at the time of the biggest crisis let alone Brexit and HS2 piling up

Let the science decide

MESSAGES->author
CoochieCoo
19 May, 2020 07:44
Quote:
gaz59
It's a fact that I cannot remember the last time Johnson appeared at a no 10 briefing. It is also a fact that I believe a scientific test will prove he had the virus and is still suffering from it
It is a fact that an unwell PM is not fit to lead the country at the time of the biggest crisis let alone Brexit and HS2 piling up

Let the science decide

They maybe facts but not scientific backed facts so your post has been moved to the discussion thread.

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath
19 May, 2020 07:46
So 22 EU countries have found no risk to children or teachers by opening their schools, yet UK unions still make trouble and do nothing but put up obstacles.

Time for teachers to do their job and get back into schools.

John Tee
John Tee
19 May, 2020 07:56
So Car plants can work out how to get production working...and many others are going back to work, but teachers Unions cant...
hmmmm.

MESSAGES->author
Clarkey3k
19 May, 2020 08:05
Is this "The Coronavirus thread of the people" or "The people's Coronavirus thread"?

Adopted players: 2019/20 T Faletau; [19] M V Vuuren; [18] T Faletau; [17] D Denton; [16] H. Agulla; [15] L Houston; [14] W Spencer; [13] F. Louw

Family . Community . Nation - [sdp.org.uk]

BathMatt53
BathMatt53
19 May, 2020 08:21
Quote:
John Tee
So Car plants can work out how to get production working...and many others are going back to work, but teachers Unions cant...
hmmmm.

Car plants don't have a hundred thumb sucking 4-5 year olds running around them presumably.

[Adoptee 19 / 20: The High ball and counter attack meister, Tom Homer]

ChippenhamRoman
ChippenhamRoman
19 May, 2020 08:29
Quote:
CoochieCoo
Right this thread is now for facts only please any opinions on this subject please post on a separate thread.
Thank you.

Can we not have discussion on the long standing discussion thread and facts on a new thread?

J

DorsetBoy
Dorset Boy
19 May, 2020 08:38
I believe splitting the thread in the way it has been done is a mistake, mods.
Far simpler to have left things as they were, rather than add a chunk of confusion. If anything, you should have stated a separate thread for 'facts' and left the other thread for what is has been for the last couple of months.

MESSAGES->author
CoochieCoo
19 May, 2020 08:38
Quote:
ChippenhamRoman
Quote:
CoochieCoo
Right this thread is now for facts only please any opinions on this subject please post on a separate thread.
Thank you.

Can we not have discussion on the long standing discussion thread and facts on a new thread?

J

No because amongst the dross of the old thread there is a lot of great links and scientific comments and as I said we have heard it is the go to thread for reference. I could split the dross out and put it on this thread, but I have a locked down life to live!

MESSAGES->author
CoochieCoo
19 May, 2020 08:46
Quote:
Dorset Boy
I believe splitting the thread in the way it has been done is a mistake, mods.
Far simpler to have left things as they were, rather than add a chunk of confusion. If anything, you should have stated a separate thread for 'facts' and left the other thread for what is has been for the last couple of months.

Personally I think it is a pity we had to do it but the thread does have a lot of good stuff on it and spoilt by petty arguments. Stripping out the dross and leaving the SCIENTIFIC facts is a no no. Think it is now very clear that the original thread is for backed up scientific facts and this thread is for the politics etc. Not that confusing!

If this doesn’t work we will close both threads! Up to you all!

MESSAGES->author
Clarkey3k
19 May, 2020 09:04
Quote:
CoochieCoo
Quote:
ChippenhamRoman
Quote:
CoochieCoo
Thank you.

J

No because amongst the dross of the old thread there is a lot of great links and scientific comments and as I said we have heard it is the go to thread for reference. I could split the dross out and put it on this thread, but I have a locked down life to live!

CC - I think you need to get out more...

Adopted players: 2019/20 T Faletau; [19] M V Vuuren; [18] T Faletau; [17] D Denton; [16] H. Agulla; [15] L Houston; [14] W Spencer; [13] F. Louw

MESSAGES->author
CoochieCoo
19 May, 2020 09:13
Quote:
Clarkey3k
Quote:
CoochieCoo
Quote:
ChippenhamRoman
Quote:
CoochieCoo
Thank you.

J

CC - I think you need to get out more...

Yep and maybe closing this board down instead of trying to please everyone is the answer for all three of us!

TomReagan
TomReagan
19 May, 2020 09:27
Pretty sure Clarkey's comment was a joke-and quite a good one!

rally
rally
19 May, 2020 09:38
Cool...not only did I remember my log in details but they worked after many years of non use. Occasionally lurk to see what's happening in Bath Rugby land - found the the virus thread to be very informative.

That's not the Coochie I remember - can we have the Rivals Coochie back.

rally
rally
19 May, 2020 09:40
Quote:
Clarkey3k
Is this "The Coronavirus thread of the people" or "The people's Coronavirus thread"?

Made me laugh

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked
19 May, 2020 09:45
So out of interest, why does it make the slightest difference where discussion occurs?
Why is it wrong for the mods to moderate posts in the same way that Facebook does in relation to fake coronavirus news or take down stuff like 5G causes Covid-19

I agree that on a topic as important as this it is right for there to be credible confirmation of statements to support an argument. I can chose then if I think its true.

So why the fuss? Shouldn't statements be able to stand up to scrutiny?

DanWiley
DanWiley
19 May, 2020 09:53
I would make more of a comment on how I think it's fine to split the threads like this, I think there's a simple rule: if you're not sure its a fact, stick it in this one, but there's probably enough chat about splitting threads.

Of course, if you disagree, start a new thread. (Sm100)

MESSAGES->author
CoochieCoo
19 May, 2020 10:00
Quote:
rally
Cool...not only did I remember my log in details but they worked after many years of non use. Occasionally lurk to see what's happening in Bath Rugby land - found the the virus thread to be very informative.
That's not the Coochie I remember - can we have the Rivals Coochie back.

Rivals - 20 years ago! Welcome back, Rally, You must be as old as me and the hills, the virus thread is informative and I am going out now!

K-Nut
Bod
19 May, 2020 10:06
I think the segregation of threads is fine
#1 : The "Scientific Serenity Snug" (no jeans or trainers)
#2 : The "WTF are you on about Bar" - plastic deposit glasses only

Please stay sensitive to the respective house rules, stand 2 metres apart (unless you're consenting Danish) and stay alert.

It makes sense , its just a case of accommodating the general ambience of the different venues and points of view.

(Sm3)

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked
19 May, 2020 10:13
Quote:
Bod
Please stay sensitive to the respective house rules, stand 2 metres apart (unless you're consenting Danish) and stay alert.

)

I think its because the Scandinavians talk in whispers or not at all. No idea why really Greeks us 1.5m, US 6ft? how far does your breath travel?

BerkeleyWood
The Bear
19 May, 2020 10:16
I think it's time for a Coronavirus discussion topics discussion topics thread.

This is way too metaphysical for me...
__

Adopted Player:
[18] - Taulupe Faletau

Bath Supporter Jack
Bath Supporter Jack
19 May, 2020 10:23
Be careful out there CC.............(Sm124)

MESSAGES->author
woodpecker
19 May, 2020 10:33
I thought discussion boards were supposed to be a mix of facts and opinions, for example one could post that Freddy Burns is leaving. Then state whether you think that's good/bad or indifferent.

I'm assuming that if someone put a fact on this one, as well as an opinion, they wouldn't be banned?

MESSAGES->author
CoochieCoo
19 May, 2020 10:41
Quote:
Bath Supporter Jack
Be careful out there CC.............(Sm124)

Quite safe BSJ not a bod in sight......!

MESSAGES->author
woodpecker
19 May, 2020 10:49
Sweden is now up to 6th in deaths per million, overtaken Netherlands, leaving out tiny states

1. Belgium, 2. Spain, 3. Italy, 4. UK, 5. France, 6. Sweden.

MESSAGES->author
Clarkey3k
19 May, 2020 10:53
Quote:
TomReagan
Pretty sure Clarkey's comment was a joke-and quite a good one!

It was, perhaps the (Sm100) emoji would have made it clearer. Keep up the good work CC/mods (Sm108)

annie blackthorn
annie blackthorn
Not sure I am happy with the splitting of threads.

Bit undemocratic but the argy bargy on the original threadwas getting tedious.

Can't remember which thread this is now = so my tuppence worth for today as that there seems to be a definite drift by our elected democratic government to blame "the scientific advice" for decisions made. All I can recall is that Johnson and his mates refused to take advice in a screamingly obvious situation, and bring in lockdown for a couple of weeks after they were advised. That is for starters. Is "Public Health England" a part of the 'scientific advice' too?

Barnoid
Barnoid
All well and good, but it seems odd that this approach of stripping out fact from discussion wasn't deemed worth applying back in late April when some were posting conspiracy theories about Bill Gates having an agenda of using vaccination as a means to control the population.

DanWiley
DanWiley
19 May, 2020 11:23
Quote:
woodpecker
Sweden is now up to 6th in deaths per million, overtaken Netherlands, leaving out tiny states

True, but after that, you've got the US in 7th and after that have it to a much lesser degree.

BerkeleyWood
The Bear
19 May, 2020 11:36
Quote:
annie blackthorn
All I can recall is that Johnson and his mates refused to take advice in a screamingly obvious situation, and bring in lockdown for a couple of weeks after they were advised.

This is one of those things that would be better with supporting evidence. We can find any old 'expert' to argue for/against lockdown but what did the advisory panel recommend. Do you have any evidence the government ignored them?

Because if that advisory group recommended the current action then the following (I don't agree with blame), seems a reasonable charge to make.

Quote:
annie blackthorn
by our elected democratic government to blame "the scientific advice" for decisions made

Which would you prefer? The government ignore the advice and make political decisions (which would likely have been better) or listen and take the decisions 'based on the science'. If you prefer the second then you need to accept that the experts need to be accountable.

Adopted Player:
[18] - Taulupe Faletau

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 19/05/2020 11:38 by The Bear.

MESSAGES->author
woodpecker
19 May, 2020 12:06
Finally got round to getting my blood out for the antibody test, needed quite a bit.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked
19 May, 2020 12:14
Quote:
woodpecker
Finally got round to getting my blood out for the antibody test, needed quite a bit.

I think the Roche antibody test needs a proper sample rather the a pin @#$%&. How much blood did it need woody?

MESSAGES->author
CoochieCoo
19 May, 2020 12:14
Quote:
Annie Blackthorn
Not sure I am happy with the splitting of threads.
Bit undemocratic but the argy bargy on the original threadwas getting tedious.

Your second sentence answers your first sentence!

MESSAGES->author
woodpecker
19 May, 2020 12:34
Quote:
shipwrecked
Quote:
woodpecker

I think the Roche antibody test needs a proper sample rather the a pin @#$%&. How much blood did it need woody?

I believe 8.5ml i gave them about 10 for luck!

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked
19 May, 2020 12:39
Quote:
woodpecker
Quote:
shipwrecked
Quote:
woodpecker

I believe 8.5ml i gave them about 10 for luck!

Strewth, did you do that yourself then!

MESSAGES->author
woodpecker
19 May, 2020 12:50
Yes I did. You get three cuvettes to puncture your fingers. A friend of mine did itand couldnt get enough.

I followed the advice to drink a lot, have a hot shower, I also put an elastic band around my wrist, i only needed one cuvette!

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked
19 May, 2020 12:57
i hope you had a lie down and a cup of tea and a biscuit after!

Seriously, isn't that a big block to antibody testing? What percentage of the population can do that?

MESSAGES->author
woodpecker
19 May, 2020 12:58
Quote:
shipwrecked
Seriously, isn't that a big block to antibody testing? What percentage of the population can do that?

i think self testing definitely, i wasn't looking forward to it. If they did it in a surgery it would be fine.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked
19 May, 2020 13:02
Quote:
woodpecker
Quote:
shipwrecked

i think self testing definitely, i wasn't looking forward to it. If they did it in a surgery it would be fine.

I pity your mate, he has to do it again or bin £89.00!

MESSAGES->author
woodpecker
19 May, 2020 14:08
Ive always thought Trump was an idiot I'm starting to think he's completely mad.

BBandW
BBandW
19 May, 2020 15:02
Help in understanding the coronavirus threads

For those of you still confused between the "facts" and "opinions" thread

BBandW
BBandW
19 May, 2020 14:53
I can't help smiling at the idea of a internet forum having separate threads for "facts" and "opinions".

But I will obey the rules and self distance from this thread and leave you scientific experts to your opinions, sorry facts.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked
19 May, 2020 15:03
Quote:
BBandW
I can't help smiling at the idea of a internet forum having separate threads for "facts" and "opinions".
But I will obey the rules and self distance from this thread and leave you scientific experts to your opinions, sorry facts.

Having two thread is actually practiced elsewhere on other forums where there is an element of technicality about a subject so not at all new. Its not about scientific expertise at all, its about not posting on coronavirus unless you can back it up in some way.
Coronavirus and Covid-19 are the most bluffed about topics on the internet.

MESSAGES->author
CoochieCoo
19 May, 2020 15:12
Quote:
BBandW

Smile away but there is a consensus to separate the science from the politics and squabbling. Incidentally you haven’t obeyed the rules as your post was not about a scientific fact so on the wrong thread!

Now corrected for you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 19/05/2020 15:15 by CoochieCoo.

BerkeleyWood
The Bear
19 May, 2020 15:24
"Coronavirus and Covid-19 are the most bluffed about topics on the internet."

Is that a fact?

Or is it just that it is the most talked about topic on the internet and with that comes a certain degree of rollocks...

Adopted Player:
[18] - Taulupe Faletau

BerkeleyWood
The Bear
19 May, 2020 15:29
Quote:
woodpecker
Ive always thought Trump was an idiot I'm starting to think he's completely mad.

The contents of the letter have some truth to them (I don't see much evidence to the contrary).

The grandstanding schtick doesn't do anything but the WHO has hardly covered itself in glory on this one and deserves all the criticism it gets.

Which is a shame, because it does a lot of good work.

Adopted Player:
[18] - Taulupe Faletau

BathMatt53
BathMatt53
19 May, 2020 15:31
Is this real or am I dreaming it?

[Adoptee 19 / 20: The High ball and counter attack meister, Tom Homer]

MESSAGES->author
woodpecker
19 May, 2020 15:35
Quote:
The Bear
Quote:
woodpecker

The contents of the letter have some truth to them (I don't see much evidence to the contrary).

The grandstanding schtick doesn't do anything but the WHO has hardly covered itself in glory on this one and deserves all the criticism it gets.

I was thinking generally and specifically to do with eating a dangerous drug contrary to medical advice.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked
19 May, 2020 15:45
Quote:
The Bear
"Coronavirus and Covid-19 are the most bluffed about topics on the internet."
Is that a fact?

Or is it just that it is the most talked about topic on the internet and with that comes a certain degree of rollocks...

There is clear evidence so yes it is, its also the most riddled with fraud. I recently bought a domain name and was refused:

When I questioned why I received this reply:

Due to the unprecedented levels of domain name abuse we are seeing, application for new .uk domain names which contain certain terms (such as 'covid' or 'corona') are not being accepted or activated until we can identify who is behind the registration and what their intentions are.

We are deleting the ID documents provided to us, and it is not being shared with any third party, or used for any other purpose.

Some further information on the level of abuse and fraud can be found in the articles
The UK's National Cyber Security Centre
[www.ncsc.gov.uk]

Action Fraud: the UK's national fraud reporting centre.

[www.actionfraud.police.uk]

The BBC
[www.bbc.co.uk]

Nominet web site:
[www.nominet.uk]"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 19/05/2020 15:52 by shipwrecked.

Bath Supporter Jack
Bath Supporter Jack
19 May, 2020 15:45
Woody

Could you keep us appraised of how the test process works..........not necessarily the result (!) as that would be too intrusive.

MESSAGES->author
Clarkey3k
19 May, 2020 16:01
I think this is the right thread for this data - ONS Death rates, latest numbers at 08/05. Massive drop in recorded deaths for all reasons in the latest two weeks recorded. Go to item 3 for the graph. Have we peaked?

BerkeleyWood
The Bear
19 May, 2020 16:10
Quote:
woodpecker
Quote:
The Bear
Quote:
woodpecker

I was thinking generally and specifically to do with eating a dangerous drug contrary to medical advice.

Yeah, that's pretty barmy. Even if he's happy to take that risk onto himself, it's pretty poor form to announce his special treatment.

Also weird because the health services will now have to contradict him - paint him as mad - when dealing with the public response.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked
19 May, 2020 16:19
Quote:
Clarkey3k
I think this is the right thread for this data - ONS Death rates, latest numbers at 08/05. Massive drop in recorded deaths for all reasons in the latest two weeks recorded. Go to item 3 for the graph. Have we peaked?

I think, so thats a good graph, as it shows the increase when our recording changed to include care homes then the subsequent fall. The UK's numbers have looked inflated because of the care home deaths, now that is more controlled we will see it continue to fall. Unless of course the release causes more cases.

BerkeleyWood
The Bear
19 May, 2020 16:34
Quote:
shipwrecked

There is clear evidence so yes it is, its also the most riddled with fraud. I recently bought a domain name and was refused:

When I questioned why I received this reply:

[i]Due to the unprecedented levels of domain name abuse we are seeing, application for new .uk domain names which contain certain terms (such as 'covid' or 'corona') are not being accepted or activated until we can identify who is behind the registration and what their intentions are.

What domain name were you buying with Corona or COVID in the title!?

There is no doubt that this is the topic at the moment (it's not like there is much else we can discuss) and this is what the fraudsters will target. I'm not sure it's the most bluffed about (plenty of history topics come to mind). I seem to recall in a recent article that more people still believe the moon landings to be a hoax than any corona-conspiracy (though I can't remember where I saw the article so usual caveats apply).

I also don't think many people were really bluffing on the other thread - rather selectively choosing their statistics or presenting non verifiable opinions (e.g. this government is terrible!). There was loads of political opinions but they're inevitable anyway as the decisions made are political ones.

Adopted Player:
[18] - Taulupe Faletau

DanWiley
DanWiley
19 May, 2020 16:46
There are a few interesting plots. One surprises me showing that deaths aren't particularly higher in London (figure 5). That's both for covid and generally. Presumably, London's population is generally younger hence the lower number of deaths in general, and that would mean covid has less impact, but I'm surprised none the less.

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath
19 May, 2020 18:49
Parliament going on yet another holiday, 2 weeks from tomorrow. You’d think they would take the crisis a little more seriously and cancel their holiday.

K-Nut
Bod
19 May, 2020 18:59
Quote:
OutsideBath
Parliament going on yet another holiday, 2 weeks from tomorrow. You’d think they would take the crisis a little more seriously and cancel their holiday.

Excellent, Halleluja, Happy Days!!!!

Does that mean that the Reporting Media Muppetry will be off the radar screen as well?

(Sm148)

John Tee
John Tee
19 May, 2020 19:24
Fact or rumour...or even Covid related.

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath
19 May, 2020 19:28
Quote:
John Tee
Fact or rumour...or even Covid related.

Fact and related to Covid because the country is in crisis and our “leaders” are going missing for 2 weeks.

MESSAGES->author
woodpecker
19 May, 2020 19:37
Quote:
Bath Supporter Jack
Woody
Could you keep us appraised of how the test process works..........not necessarily the result (!) as that would be too intrusive.

yes fine, I'm happy to share the result, if it was an STD test less so....

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked
19 May, 2020 19:43
Quote:
woodpecker
Quote:
Bath Supporter Jack
Woody

I think I'll wait for the offer to come on the antibody test. You know the one, "Free blood transfusion with every antibody test", 8 cc that's nearly an arm full!

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath
19 May, 2020 19:48
Quote:
shipwrecked
Quote:
woodpecker
Quote:
Bath Supporter Jack
Woody

I think I'll wait for the offer to come on the antibody test. You know the one, "Free blood transfusion with every antibody test", 8 cc that's nearly an arm full!

Doesn’t seem like a viable test to rollout to everyone.

K-Nut
Bod
19 May, 2020 19:56
Quote:
woodpecker
Quote:
Bath Supporter Jack
Woody

And, if it transpires you're expecting twins................................?

eye popping smiley

B4thB4ck
B4thB4ck
19 May, 2020 20:25
Quote:
OutsideBath

Having re opened the golf courses they probably fancy a round or 2. Better bring forward your tee time OB.

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath
19 May, 2020 20:38
Quote:
B4thB4ck
Quote:
OutsideBath

Having re opened the golf courses they probably fancy a round or 2. Better bring forward your tee time OB.

I doubt they ever get up early enough to trouble my tee times... 😀

MESSAGES->author
Clarkey3k
19 May, 2020 20:53
Quote:
Bod
Quote:
woodpecker
Quote:
Bath Supporter Jack
Woody

And, if it transpires you're expecting twins................................?

eye popping smiley

He will need a good media manager, a job for you perhaps? (Sm100)

MESSAGES->author
Clarkey3k
19 May, 2020 20:58
The earlier "two threads" exchanges with CC brought to mind the difficulties Arthur "Two Sheds" Jackson experienced in this Monthy Python sketch. A classic which I hope provides some amusement in these C-19 times...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 19/05/2020 21:00 by Clarkey3k.

K-Nut
Bod
19 May, 2020 21:08
Having reflected on the perceived callous nature in which elderly infirm people were returned to care homes in what any reasonable observer would conclude as in a totally reckless manner to clear beds during the early stages of NHS preparation, I reflected upon some established guidelines the NHS follow that were outlined most graphically in the aftermath of the Alfie Evans case (a baby) and the Liverpool Care Pathway.

The Liverpool Care Pathway

Given that there is an implicit allowance ,from the guidelines adopted, that Doctors can take a view on the outcome for any given patient, and decide which pathway they should take, is it a fanciful proposal that a similar "triage" mentality was applied to the old and infirm, and merely transfer the location of the outcome (through Covid infections) to the Care Home and out of the Hospital?

Whether this might have been as a result of pressures to "clear the decks" come what may, or other considerations, it is difficult to argue that the untested return of infected patients to environments stuffed full of those immediately recognised as the most vulnerable has delivered similar outcomes to those achieved by the LCP (which still exists in all but name, merely rebranded ). It'll probably be chalked up as "Covid Collateral" and obscured accordingly.

The weekend admission scenario, as outlined in the article, is definitely not an odd or occasional occurrence when hospitals are staffed by skeleton teams and inexperienced Junior Doctors on the wards.

(Sm92)

BerkeleyWood
The Bear
19 May, 2020 21:11
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EYZTJjZWkAAZtyp?format=jpg&name=small

Media less trusted than the government. Not ideal... Though I don't see them changing any time soon.

MESSAGES->author
CoochieCoo
19 May, 2020 21:25
New ball tampering rules under COVID

DanWiley
DanWiley
19 May, 2020 21:57
Not trusting the media sounds like something people say, then happily lap up whatever brand massages their ego.

I suspect "they don't trust it" when it says things they don't want to hear.

MESSAGES->author
joethefanatic
19 May, 2020 22:08
Quote:
DanWiley
Not trusting the media sounds like something people say, then happily lap up whatever brand massages their ego.
I suspect "they don't trust it" when it says things they don't want to hear.

This. From my Guardian reading, BBC adoring, happy clappy liberal enclave in paradise.

PS you would not believe how respected the BBC is around the world. The "soft power" projection of the UK by the BBC has to be one of the most cost effective propaganda tools ever.

... IMHO, of course.

Now in Honolulu

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked
19 May, 2020 22:16
Quote:
CoochieCoo
New ball tampering rules under COVID

Well thats clear then, incidentally you can't spit on your balls either.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked
19 May, 2020 23:38
So, you are 99 with your big 100th birthday coming up having had an eventful life and pleased to have made it through the war intact.

Two months later you have raised £32,000,000 for the NHS dodged the virus and you have a knighthood. Absolutely outstanding Sir Tom. (Sm152) (Sm152) (Sm152) (Sm152)

Bath Supporter Jack
Bath Supporter Jack
20 May, 2020 00:06
Great, great story.

Wait until somebody says we are pandering to a stereotypical military figure or some other such nonesense.

MESSAGES->author
joethefanatic
20 May, 2020 07:29
No contact tracing app until June at the earliest.

[www.theguardian.com]

Goto Page: 123456789Next
Current Page: 1 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net