Latest news:

The COML Message Board

The place for discussion, debate and nonsense about Bath Rugby.

Join our new Facebook Group today!

New visitors please read the house rules before posting

Test your prognostications at our Prediction League

Mick Cleary gets nostalgic....
Discussion started by Optimist (IP Logged), 02 June, 2020 10:14
opti
Optimist
02 June, 2020 10:14
25 sights you never see in rugby union any more

Not firewalled, i think/hope.

Started reading this with a great big 'pah', and ended up sighing over one or two of them.

Yes to: 2, 4, 5, 9, 13, 14, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25

Meh, to: 1, 3, 18, 19

Hmmm, to: 6, 10

Have you actually watched or been to a game of rugby recently?, to: 7, 8, 16, 17,

No thanks, to: 11, 12, 15

BathMatt53
BathMatt53
02 June, 2020 10:24
yes, paywall unfortunately.

[Adoptee 19 / 20: The High ball and counter attack meister, Tom Homer]

opti
Optimist
02 June, 2020 10:34
oh - sorry. I managed to read it despite not being logged in. I'll copy a couple of them over, but better not cut and paste lock, stock and barrel.

MESSAGES->author
CoochieCoo
02 June, 2020 10:41
I got in without logging in as well try google and search for the article that usually gets it out of paywall.

https://pbflaa.by.files.1drv.com/y4mToRbTHGUTg0zWMi8LNeOlOmx4tZHsH3crYbASv0X_qWBw8j30S9KV-RiZIf_AWoOZXD7D3Rjy1tYRAKXykpZSHuOObVQBiovPpB6PnDUuBM6xlx2F1yOjKpEBmWUfMru3SCm255j3p-CnndC7J9ZUG29r1BtfFWHHj-MdzDOpzBuTRTPqNaco8ctf1svZyW0?width=106&height=160&cropmode=none
https://pbfkaa.by.files.1drv.com/y4mhxY1k8zrLn92LwcIYgSd1KcA6zBGX-Wgw2dNz8Us0xA71EhjMmL2tc-ggx7OlsBDECw8eAZ_oAWnNyh5doimzOEics5H87cuh5Q-Sb-ViPD6Pt6QUBneu5F2tlWLltGQZ8pd5qFmsZwbKB39L5Dki21gJfnsiaxLiCiuWPCZUjkXp4EttajzFAgcCl6YuDDF?width=160&height=107&cropmode=none

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked
02 June, 2020 10:46
Same for me via Google, no joy.

https://i.ibb.co/gjWyP09/Unknown-1-2.jpg

Beno Obano Age 25 years, Loosehead prop, 5ft 8ins 18st 12lbs 'Mauls are like Transformers' they change form to become more powerful!

opti
Optimist
02 June, 2020 10:56
or possibly if you go via Twitter? Sometimes when they post articles on Twitter you seem to be able to read the whole thing - assume it's a different link?

Twitter link

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked
02 June, 2020 11:20
Quote:
Optimist
or possibly if you go via Twitter? Sometimes when they post articles on Twitter you seem to be able to read the whole thing - assume it's a different link?
Twitter link

Nope, your cache is probably showing you as logged in Opti, just post a couple of examples but not the whole lot of course, if the Telegraph ring you up you can say it was a promotional piece! We'll have a whip round for bail if it comes to that.

Beno Obano Age 25 years, Loosehead prop, 5ft 8ins 18st 12lbs 'Mauls are like Transformers' they change form to become more powerful!

BathMatt53
BathMatt53
02 June, 2020 11:44
Quote:
shipwrecked
Quote:
Optimist
Twitter link

Nope, your cache is probably showing you as logged in Opti, just post a couple of examples but not the whole lot of course, if the Telegraph ring you up you can say it was a promotional piece! We'll have a whip round for bail if it comes to that.

Yep, SW can get you a massive Rita Hayworth poster and rock hammer - he's a man who can get things.

[Adoptee 19 / 20: The High ball and counter attack meister, Tom Homer]

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked
02 June, 2020 12:01
Quote:
BathMatt53
Quote:
shipwrecked
Quote:
Optimist
Twitter link

Yep, SW can get you a massive Rita Hayworth poster and rock hammer - he's a man who can get things.

Not sure I would post my Rita Haworth poster as bail, what if Opti does a runner?

P.S. Breaking News, Rock Hammer just signed for Tiggers (Sm18)

opti
Optimist
02 June, 2020 12:32
The article is titled: '25 sights you no longer see in rugby'. He isn't actually proposing them all to be brought back - more just documenting them - but there is a whiff of some misplaced deliberate nostalgia about it.

Yes to:
2 Ten yards back
4 Teams staying on pitch at half time
5 Straight feed at the scrum
9 Accepting referee's decision as final
13 Inclusivity
14 Low tackles
20 15-a-side, not 23
21 No-nonsense, get on with it place-kicks
22 Crowd left to sing anthems etc on their own
23 Ref making his own mind up
24 Spiral kicks (although laughably he cites the example of 'Henry Slade's kick vs Saracens rather than kickers who 'opt for safety and merely punt the ball end-over-end' when Slade's kick was an end-over-end, not a spiral)
25 80-minute matches

Meh, to:
1 'Toby jug props'
3 Rucking
18 Saturday 2.30pm kick offs
19 Handshakes after scoring a try

Hmmm, to:

6 Proper punch-ups
10 Wings throwing in the ball at lineouts

Have you actually watched or been to a game of rugby recently?, to:
7 French flair
8 A yard of ale and raucous gatherings in clubhouses
16 Sidesteps 'where have the jinkers disappeared to?'
17 When was the last time you saw a player carry the ball in two hands?

No thanks, to:
11 Mudheaps
12 Eskimo Nell and bawdy songs
15 Ankle-high boots with long studs

bardofavon
bardofavon
02 June, 2020 12:46
jj always carries the ball in two hands.

Bath Supporter Jack
Bath Supporter Jack
02 June, 2020 12:56
I would like proper put ins and hookers (its in the name) hooking. Immediate penalties otherwise.

I wonder if this would sort out scrums??

P G Tips
P G Tips
02 June, 2020 13:39
I'd agree with your lists Opti- bar one - depending on how you define 3 'rucking'.

That has a bad name now because of stamping, excessive use of boot on body.
However, a dynamic drive over the ball by a group of forwards provides quick ball for backs to use and creates space. If the only way for a defence to stop it/compete with it is to concentrate equal force, it can be a very good thing- bringing back dynamism and space to the game. It does not have to involve contact between boot and body-especially if the prone body is penalised for handling the ball.

The key issue is to find a way to prevent & police use of boot to clear bodies.

PG

opti
Optimist
02 June, 2020 14:40
Yep - happy to buy that PGT. With the number of cameras around players would have to be pretty foolish to use their studs too rashly. And - for all that it's mythologised, the injuries around rucking were probably less damaging than the head injuries that have increased since chest high tackling became the norm.

P G Tips
P G Tips
02 June, 2020 17:40
Agree Opti.
Itís all in the reffing and regulating.

If deliberate stamping were an automatic red card and a stamp on the head an automatic season ban, players would soon get the message.

PG

Pop stand fan
Pop stand fan
03 June, 2020 14:23
Forwards dribbling the ball - before my time but my dad used to tell me the roar on the Rec would be ďFeet Bath, Feet BathĒ.
Diving passes by scrum halves.
Full backs entering the line - Jim Waterman was the master of this.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked
03 June, 2020 15:01
Quote:
P G Tips
Agree Opti.
Itís all in the reffing and regulating.

If deliberate stamping were an automatic red card and a stamp on the head an automatic season ban, players would soon get the message.

PG

The problem with rucks in the past was the kicking players would get out of sight of the ref. Nowadays with TV, TMO and replays there would be no way of getting away with it would here?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net