Latest news:

The COML Message Board

The place for discussion, debate and nonsense about Bath Rugby.

Join our new Facebook Group today!

New visitors please read the house rules before posting

Test your prognostications at our Prediction League

Rugby club member? Keep the gates closed
Discussion started by Bod (IP Logged), 27 July, 2020 11:11
K-Nut
Bod
27 July, 2020 11:11
Could they get away with this at Farleigh??

A similar event happened locally a few years back at the football pitches here in Melksham. The area was left like a literal "SH!te heap". Of course, the enhanced access controls seem to have eliminated the repeat trespass.

I wonder what would happen if they turned up at Farleigh or down at the Rec?

(Sm3)

warrenball
warrenball
27 July, 2020 15:32
Police are scared of them and let them do as they wish, they used to arrive every year on one of the commons around Chipping Sodbury and I have seen a group of travellers chasing after policemen with iron bars and the police leaving the common to the travellers. After they left the council would have to clear up the mess. If there enough of you it is possible to get away with almost anything, hence the rave being undisturbed last week.

Osmium
Osmium
27 July, 2020 15:32
[www.devonlive.com]

Well it happened at Sandy Park! Not on the pitch mind.

Awp24975
Awp24975
27 July, 2020 15:55
They were pitched up at Taunton RFC back in May and there are some a couple of fields up from Gordano RFC at the moment.

Itís a difficult one, and you just have to hope they donít manage to get into your club grounds as it costs a fortune to move them on and a fortune to clear up afterwards.

As for the above press report, I can just imagine Garyís reaction was slightly different to the comments he made in the press!!!

K-Nut
Bod
27 July, 2020 19:59
I'm sure there's a cultural diversity celebration attached to this story somewhere but I'm not seeing it.

(Sm3)

MESSAGES->author
Jim H
28 July, 2020 10:14
Quote:
Bod
A similar event happened locally a few years back at the football pitches here in Melksham.

They were trying to get onto the pitches, at Melksham, a couple weeks back as well - Police managed to shift them pretty quick, but we (players/members) had to stay away to stop it getting nasty.

B4thB4ck
B4thB4ck
28 July, 2020 20:33
I thought the new ground at Melksham would be all locked up from the road entrance so I assume these incidents are happening in the day time when the gates are in use?

Not an easy answer then and one that is a problem for football and cricket clubs too.

Quite expensive to change access barriers to something more secure.

redmix
redmix
29 July, 2020 10:03
Happened at my local rugby club a couple years back. Cost thousands to get them evicted and to have a professional cleanup team remove the human excrement from the pitches.
A month or so later another group turned up while we were coaching. The club president parked his truck across the entrance to stop more coming onto the grounds and called the police. There then ensued a 30min stand off before the police made him move his truck as "he couldn't legally stop them coming on site". Not sure how it is illegal to stop someone coming on to private grounds. Second group were fine, didn't make a mess and left of their own accord after a couple of days. First group did put the club off travelers to say the least. But, this does show not all traveler groups have the same disregard for the land they occupy.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net