Latest news:

The COML Message Board

The place for discussion, debate and nonsense about Bath Rugby.

Join our new Facebook Group today!

New visitors please read the house rules before posting

Test your prognostications at our Prediction League


Autumn Tournament
Discussion started by Mike the Taxi (IP Logged), 27 July, 2020 16:25
Mike the Taxi
Mike the Taxi
27 July, 2020 16:25
[www.bbc.co.uk] - Eight Teams

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked
27 July, 2020 16:47
Well France have got an easy draw!



https://i.ibb.co/gjWyP09/Unknown-1-2.jpg


Beno Obano Age 25 years, Loosehead prop, 5ft 8ins 18st 12lbs 'Mauls are like Transformers' they change form to become more powerful!

opti
Optimist
27 July, 2020 17:06
So final 6Ns games around 1 November. Then 4 x International weekends from 14 Nov to 5 Dec.

I wonder how many of those will overlap with GP weekends?

Imagine if we're missing Spencer, JJ, Watson, Coka, Underhill, Stuart, Dunn, Faletau.

MESSAGES->author
woodpecker
27 July, 2020 17:07
that seems quite a lot of games

K-Nut
Bod
27 July, 2020 17:14
CVC will determine the schedules and financial outcomes
(Sm3)

MESSAGES->author
woodpecker
27 July, 2020 17:22
Looks like Finn Russel is goign to be playing for Scotland

[sport.bt.com]

4 mins

its pretty old but hadnt seen it



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 27/07/2020 17:28 by woodpecker.

Bepetas
Bepetas
27 July, 2020 17:27
I'd have liked to see the Georgians involved

K-Nut
Bod
27 July, 2020 19:43
Quote:
Bepetas
I'd have liked to see the Georgians involved

Indeed
(Sm3)

Bepetas
Bepetas
27 July, 2020 19:44
Quote:
Optimist
So final 6Ns games around 1 November. Then 4 x International weekends from 14 Nov to 5 Dec.
I wonder how many of those will overlap with GP weekends?

Imagine if we're missing Spencer, JJ, Watson, Coka, Underhill, Stuart, Dunn, Faletau.

Charlie Ewels too and Maybe Beno Obano!

K-Nut
Bod
27 July, 2020 19:52
To be fair, the finalisation of the Premiership will be pretty Mickey Mouse. We all know who is relegated so the games and outcomes will be relatively pointless other than for Exeter, Bristol, Sale and Saints?
Euro qualifications............meh.
Who'll be travelling to watch those events during the times of Covid-Mania in 2021?
(Sm3)

Awp24975
Awp24975
27 July, 2020 21:13
So the last game of this tournament is the 5th December with the new premiership season starting on 21st November. Whatís the betting we get ďdrawnĒ against Bristol again on week one when we have depleted squad.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53
28 July, 2020 10:52
Will Kelleher on Twitter:

Autumn schedule:
Oct 24: Prem Final; Ire v Ita
Oct 25 Eng v BaaBaas
Oct 31 Eng v Ita; Wal v Sco; Fra v Ire
Nov 7/8 Rest
Nov 14/15 Pool games
Nov 21/22 Pool games; Prem starts
Nov 28/29 Pool games; Prem
Dec 5/6 Test Comp 'Final(s)'; Prem
Dec 12/13 European Cups start



[Actively seeking a new adoptee: until I'm assigned one I'm going for Joshua Matavesi]

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked
28 July, 2020 10:58
In the words of Brody alias Roy Scheider "we're gonna need a bigger team. "



https://i.ibb.co/gjWyP09/Unknown-1-2.jpg


Beno Obano Age 25 years, Loosehead prop, 5ft 8ins 18st 12lbs 'Mauls are like Transformers' they change form to become more powerful!

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath
28 July, 2020 12:49
Quote:
shipwrecked
In the words of Brody alias Roy Scheider "we're gonna need a bigger team. "

Or just a better balanced squad?

MESSAGES->author
shendy
28 July, 2020 13:09
So we flog the players through the rest of the 19/20 season, with midweek games, and then run pretty much straight into the next season - with the internationals spanning both. Oh, and of course there's a Lions tour at the end of the 20/21 season.
No chance of anyone being at all knackered, is there?

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath
28 July, 2020 17:52
Quote:
shendy
So we flog the players through the rest of the 19/20 season, with midweek games, and then run pretty much straight into the next season - with the internationals spanning both. Oh, and of course there's a Lions tour at the end of the 20/21 season.
No chance of anyone being at all knackered, is there?

The finances of the international unions is clearly more important than player health.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53
28 July, 2020 18:09
Will they get that much money if they are paying all the players etc but not getting the fans at the grounds? Perhaps they think that they will get the fans at the grounds?



[Actively seeking a new adoptee: until I'm assigned one I'm going for Joshua Matavesi]

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath
28 July, 2020 18:23
Government minister suggesting some fans will be allowed back in October according to BBC.

Donít believe thereís much credibility for this with the second wave of covid19 starting in Europe, which letís face it was obviously going to happen.

sirtidychris
sirtidychris
29 July, 2020 11:48
Quote:
Bepetas
Quote:
Optimist
So final 6Ns games around 1 November. Then 4 x International weekends from 14 Nov to 5 Dec.
I wonder how many of those will overlap with GP weekends?

Imagine if we're missing Spencer, JJ, Watson, Coka, Underhill, Stuart, Dunn, Faletau.

Charlie Ewels too and Maybe Beno Obano!

Faletau and Coka are banned from international games until they play 10 matches for bath

opti
Optimist
29 July, 2020 12:01
Quote:
OutsideBath
The finances of the international unions is clearly more important than player health.

The game - overall - was a financial sh1tshow before Covid. The only thing that's going to generate real game-changing (or at least game-saving) cash is a series of Internationals. That doesn't have to be inimical to player health ... though obviously, when the chips are down, it will be.

MESSAGES->author
woodpecker
29 July, 2020 12:33
Quote:
Optimist
Quote:
OutsideBath
The finances of the international unions is clearly more important than player health.

The game - overall - was a financial sh1tshow before Covid. The only thing that's going to generate real game-changing (or at least game-saving) cash is a series of Internationals. That doesn't have to be inimical to player health ... though obviously, when the chips are down, it will be.

Its amazing how many people support/watch international rugby, but dont give a to$$ about the club game. More than any other sport? Wonder why?

MESSAGES->author
hemington
29 July, 2020 12:44
Not many (if any) other sports have an annual competition like the 5/6 Nations with its history etc (particularly when it was/is on terrestrial TV). It was up there with boat, race, grand national, wimbledon etc at attracting non sport fans

MESSAGES->author
woodpecker
29 July, 2020 13:31
Quote:
hemington
Not many (if any) other sports have an annual competition like the 5/6 Nations with its history etc (particularly when it was/is on terrestrial TV). It was up there with boat, race, grand national, wimbledon etc at attracting non sport fans

I guess that a lot of the people who follow 6N follow club football instead of rugby. What really annoys me about football is when journalists/MPs/Actors whatever, media types on radio/tv pretend they are football fans. Along the lines of: hahah i wont mention the rovers results from last night, well the wanderers arent doing much better, hahah.

When neither of the tw@ts have been near a football ground in their lives.

K-Nut
Bod
30 July, 2020 09:54
Pools:-

Ireland England, Wales Fiji
France, Scotland, Italy, Japan

England schedule believed to be firstly, v Fiji, then Ireland and finishing with Wales.

Fiji could look to be a right handful given the Coaching team they've established now

Vern Cotter completes his team

(Sm72)

Mike the Taxi
Mike the Taxi
30 July, 2020 15:58
[www.bbc.co.uk] - Six Nations dates confirmed

K-Nut
Bod
31 July, 2020 10:01
Legal challenge to revised WR International window

Who'll win the Prem now?
I'd put my half-crown on Bristol.
(Sm3)

MESSAGES->author
woodpecker
31 July, 2020 10:48
Quote:
Mike the Taxi
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/53598260 - Six Nations dates confirmed

aah the 6 Nations, so England have won unless France beat Ireland by more points than England beat Italy..and some. Right?

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked
31 July, 2020 11:05
Quote:
woodpecker
Quote:
Mike the Taxi
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/53598260 - Six Nations dates confirmed

aah the 6 Nations, so England have won unless France beat Ireland by more points than England beat Italy..and some. Right?

Which one? The 2019/2020 one or the one that involves Fiji and Japan, (which is 8 nations) or the 2020/2021 one?



https://i.ibb.co/gjWyP09/Unknown-1-2.jpg


Beno Obano Age 25 years, Loosehead prop, 5ft 8ins 18st 12lbs 'Mauls are like Transformers' they change form to become more powerful!

Mike the Taxi
Mike the Taxi
31 July, 2020 13:00
Where's that tongue-in-cheek emoji when you need it?
It's the final games of 2019-20

MESSAGES->author
woodpecker
31 July, 2020 13:35
Quote:
shipwrecked
Quote:
woodpecker
Quote:
Mike the Taxi
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/53598260 - Six Nations dates confirmed

aah the 6 Nations, so England have won unless France beat Ireland by more points than England beat Italy..and some. Right?

Which one? The 2019/2020 one or the one that involves Fiji and Japan, (which is 8 nations) or the 2020/2021 one?

The Olympics which is happening next year is going to be called 2020 Olympics, that'll help.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked
31 July, 2020 13:59
Quote:
woodpecker
Quote:
shipwrecked
Quote:
woodpecker
Quote:
Mike the Taxi
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/53598260 - Six Nations dates confirmed

aah the 6 Nations, so England have won unless France beat Ireland by more points than England beat Italy..and some. Right?

Which one? The 2019/2020 one or the one that involves Fiji and Japan, (which is 8 nations) or the 2020/2021 one?

The Olympics which is happening next year is going to be called 2020 Olympics, that'll help.

But it will be in 2021 confused smiley Will the Olympics now be in 4 years time from 2020 or 4 years time from 2021?

If so will the 2025 Olympics be called the 2024 Olympics? I think I need a lie down.



https://i.ibb.co/gjWyP09/Unknown-1-2.jpg


Beno Obano Age 25 years, Loosehead prop, 5ft 8ins 18st 12lbs 'Mauls are like Transformers' they change form to become more powerful!

9215
9215
31 July, 2020 19:02
Quote:
woodpecker
Quote:
Mike the Taxi
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/53598260 - Six Nations dates confirmed

aah the 6 Nations, so England have won unless France beat Ireland by more points than England beat Italy..and some. Right?

Ireland could still win, they have a game in hand

Bathovalballer
Bathovalballer
01 August, 2020 09:45
Personally I think the 2019/20 season should have been ended and try and start the new one on time. I know the TV companies would want their money back, but with the new schedule on games for the next 2 years, some players are going to be absolutely knackered or broken. Without top players, the audiences are likely to drop and the media interest will wain. Certainly clubs like ours who rely on their internationals, our reserves are not of the highest standard, will mean we can expect little honours and probably will struggle to maintain our Prem status.

It is a mess but I do believe player welfare should take priority.



Adopted player 2019/20 Jonathan 'JJ' Joseph.

The Jink Joseph.

Adopted player 2018/19 Adopted player 2018/19 Semesa 'The Rock' Rokoduguni

MESSAGES->author
shendy
01 August, 2020 10:54
Quote:
shipwrecked
But it will be in 2021 confused smiley Will the Olympics now be in 4 years time from 2020 or 4 years time from 2021?

If so will the 2025 Olympics be called the 2024 Olympics? I think I need a lie down.

2024 Olympics will be in 2024, this is a one-off shift not permanent.
But still no guarantee that the 2020 games will take place at all - it'll be 2021 or cancelled.

MESSAGES->author
shendy
01 August, 2020 10:55
One fixture stands out to me - England v Barbarians, completely unnecessary except as a pure £££ exercise.

dcsh
dcsh
01 August, 2020 17:22
Quote:
shendy
One fixture stands out to me - England v Barbarians, completely unnecessary except as a pure £££ exercise.
But that is pretty much the case every year, at least this year it could serve as a warm up for the Italy match with Englandís core of Sarries players available.

MESSAGES->author
Coalminer
01 August, 2020 18:27
The whole autumn tournanent is about generating £££ for the national unions.

9215
9215
01 August, 2020 18:58
It could also serve as a final match for players who wouldnít otherwise get one

MESSAGES->author
hasta
01 August, 2020 22:37
We'd all accept that game if Flouw gets a game, right?

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath
02 August, 2020 09:10
Quote:
Coalminer
The whole autumn tournanent is about generating £££ for the national unions.

Fans are not going to be present so is the tournament really going to generate that much money for the unions?

dcsh
dcsh
02 August, 2020 15:25
It will bring in some of the TV money that would have been expected from the normal autumn internationals, probably multiple millions, so certainly worthwhile financially. And letís not forget that the RFU needs money form the Menís international game for fund everything else they do.

K-Nut
Bod
02 August, 2020 17:22
Quote:
dcsh
It will bring in some of the TV money that would have been expected from the normal autumn internationals, probably multiple millions, so certainly worthwhile financially. And letís not forget that the RFU needs money form the Menís international game for fund everything else they do.

What's the "everything else they do?"
There used to be an entity called the RFU that encouraged rugby development across their country and staged International games from time to time. The constituency trusted the RFU to act always in their best interests............which is now no longer the case.

I'd spin off the RFU and reestablish a new structure to manage grass roots Rugby. HQ don't give a flying fig about what happens outside of HQ.



(Sm3)

dcsh
dcsh
02 August, 2020 18:00
7ís, England Women, the Championship, the Premiership and the Premier 15ís, plus community coaches and grass root development.
Of course the extend to which that lot continues to be funded is currently in question. The percentage split of the RFU cost shifted heavily toward England Men team under the last agreement including the £25k match fees, but that looks set to change with the next agreement.

A separation of running professional and amateur rugby might be the way to go as you suggest, but the agreement of how the money is split will still be a challenge.



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2020 18:16 by dcsh.


Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net