Latest news:

The COML Message Board

The place for discussion, debate and nonsense about Bath Rugby.

Join our new Facebook Group today!

New visitors please read the house rules before posting

Test your prognostications at our Prediction League

Pitch Update
Discussion started by dr.bath1865 (IP Logged), 31 July, 2020 21:32
dr.bath1865
dr.bath1865
31 July, 2020 21:32
Offy - Pitch Renovation Complete

Looks stunning. Bet JJ, Ant and Roko can't wait to have a run around on that. Who knows, the mud bath might have the problem all along? Spencer at 9 on a carpet like that and we might be in business!

Well done all involved. Right decision to crack on with the work. Execution looks superb.

K-Nut
Bod
31 July, 2020 22:11
Who oversaw the project d'you know? Nobby?
(Sm3)

John Tee
John Tee
01 August, 2020 07:52
Always been 'critical' of your pitch but that looks superb.
The technology today means pitches wear better and 30 big guys ripping it to pieces over a season means a lot of work for the groundstaff so you need to invest.

I would ban plastic pitches though...they have no place in top class rugby, imv.

Will not be long until that gets used in earnest..

bardofavon
bardofavon
01 August, 2020 10:11
Ecosol of malmesbury did this fine-looking job. they seem to be pretty much top of the tree when it comes to refurbishing sports turf. must have cost a bit, which leads one to suspect that the new stadium has been pushed back into the distant future.
can't wait to see our speedsters operating on it.

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath
01 August, 2020 12:12
Well that looks like excellent work done by the club... (Sm152)

Although not having a boggy quagmire of a pitch could lose us one of our main advantages over opposition teams.. (Sm151)

MESSAGES->author
Rawce
01 August, 2020 12:52
Our pitch has only been dire in the last couple of seasons, Iím assuming as the drainage system came unstuck. When Leicester Tigers and Gloucester Tigers were playing on brownfield sites 3/4 years ago, ours was looking pretty shiny all year round bar the odd waterlogged game - a direct result of being low down and 10m from a big river. Looking forward to our back line playing on that baize if Iím honest.

MESSAGES->author
Rawce
01 August, 2020 16:45
Longer video here. Look at the difference from 1st May to 13th May.

[youtu.be]

Mike the Taxi
Mike the Taxi
01 August, 2020 17:14
That spiky aerator (?) machine looks more formidable than the actual Covid-19 virus!

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked
01 August, 2020 17:59
So why cant we have grass at the new stadium then? That looks perfect and isn't it better for injuries?

https://i.ibb.co/gjWyP09/Unknown-1-2.jpg

Beno Obano Age 25 years, Loosehead prop, 5ft 8ins 18st 12lbs 'Mauls are like Transformers' they change form to become more powerful!

MESSAGES->author
Rawce
01 August, 2020 18:12
The aerator wobble looked both mesmerising and a bit wrong.

Shipwrecked, think of the proposed hybrid as an augmented version of what theyíve just laid. Itís like the plastic ribbing that now holds gravel driveways in place.

Maurice de Banfield
Ernie Ball
01 August, 2020 18:19
Looks great. I'm looking forward to our visit next season (with Bris)

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked
01 August, 2020 18:50
Quote:
Rawce
The aerator wobble looked both mesmerising and a bit wrong.
Shipwrecked, think of the proposed hybrid as an augmented version of what theyíve just laid. Itís like the plastic ribbing that now holds gravel driveways in place.

So its grass growing in soil contained in flower pots stuck together is that it?

Beno Obano Age 25 years, Loosehead prop, 5ft 8ins 18st 12lbs 'Mauls are like Transformers' they change form to become more powerful!

Mike the Taxi
Mike the Taxi
01 August, 2020 19:00
,,,except that they've chamfered off the rims of the pots so it's not as painful when you land on one with your knee.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked
01 August, 2020 19:28
Quote:
Mike the Taxi
,,,except that they've chamfered off the rims of the pots so it's not as painful when you land on one with your knee.

I'm relieved to hear that, much rather see a mower on the pitch rather than a hoover, that's what our neighbour does with her artificial grass!

MESSAGES->author
Rawce
01 August, 2020 20:34
More like they form a webbed netting giving the grass more resistance to stud tears but will give way rather than shatter ankles. Look up desso pitches. I think they do it by punching/knitting plastic threads onto turf.

Bath Supporter Jack
Bath Supporter Jack
03 August, 2020 09:16
I wonder if they had a spare five minutes they would come up and sort out my pocket handkerchief of a lawn!!

MESSAGES->author
Rawce
03 August, 2020 13:47
Quote:
Rawce
More like they form a webbed netting giving the grass more resistance to stud tears but will give way rather than shatter ankles. Look up desso pitches. I think they do it by punching/knitting plastic threads onto turf.
*into turf. Desso and Twickenham have a video on YouTube about prep for the 2015 RWC, a tournament which I canít recall ever happening, so weíd be getting the same system as them.

warrenball
warrenball
03 August, 2020 15:23
Wonder if the thought of all this petrol based plastic is a good environmental idea. Much better to stick to proper grass and also reduce knee/ankle injuries.

MESSAGES->author
Rawce
03 August, 2020 17:08
Quote:
warrenball
Wonder if the thought of all this petrol based plastic is a good environmental idea. Much better to stick to proper grass and also reduce knee/ankle injuries.
Again, itís not artificial turf, it will be a hybrid pitch. I reckon youíll end up with fewer injuries on a pristine pitch than youíll get on one with chunks ripped out, loose underfoot and not properly drained so slippy.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked
03 August, 2020 17:27
Quote:
Rawce
Quote:
warrenball
Again, itís not artificial turf, it will be a hybrid pitch. I reckon youíll end up with fewer injuries on a pristine pitch than youíll get on one with chunks ripped out, loose underfoot and not properly drained so slippy.

Perfect can be boring though sometimes, I remember one club game in Selhurst mid January on the bottom pitch following a week of rain you could dive for the line 15 yards out and slide in on a dark brown wave of mud and grass!

Has that era gone now?

warrenball
warrenball
03 August, 2020 18:35
Indeed Shipwrecked, a real shame if we never see another picture like the one of Fran Cotton, it was always a part of playing and a real test of skill. Watched a Crusaders game a few years ago in terrible conditions, driving wind and rain but the first knock on came after about 30 minutes.

Rawce, surely they still use plastic to make hybrid pitches?

MESSAGES->author
Rawce
03 August, 2020 22:32
Only as reinforcement - [youtu.be] And [youtu.be] 9more informative)

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked
03 August, 2020 23:16
Second one is a good explanation, I had it wrong first time!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net