Latest news:

The COML Message Board

The place for discussion, debate and nonsense about Bath Rugby.

Join our new Facebook Group today!

New visitors please read the house rules before posting

Test your prognostications at our Prediction League


Luther Burrell?
Discussion started by bardofavon (IP Logged), 14 September, 2020 16:28
bardofavon
bardofavon
14 September, 2020 16:28
why not? the guy is giving up on league and wants to return to union. he still has a couple of years in him. we are looking for extra oomph in the 12 and 13 channels. and he will be cheap.

Never In Doubt
Never In Doubt
14 September, 2020 16:33
Not for me. Could damage the group ethos, never much more than a good club player, body must be carrying wear and tear so lets use the developing players or bring in a long term recruit.

MESSAGES->author
woodpecker
14 September, 2020 16:34
Hes not in my top 50 potential signings:

Former England centre Luther Burrell is looking to switch back to rugby union after his contract with Warrington was terminated by the Super League club.

The 32-year-old joined Wire on a two-and-a-half-year deal in July 2019 after leaving Northampton Saints.

But he only played three games last season and was on the bench for the first five of this campaign.

He'll be lucky to find anything much

dr.bath1865
dr.bath1865
14 September, 2020 17:00
Here are 6 reasons why not...

Josh Matevasi, Cameron Redpath, Jonathan Joseph, Max Clarke, Max Wright, Max Ojomoh.

Never In Doubt
Never In Doubt
14 September, 2020 17:07
Quote:
dr.bath1865
Here are 6 reasons why not...
Josh Matevasi, Cameron Redpath, Jonathan Joseph, Max Clarke, Max Wright, Max Ojomoh.

Could add Will Butt to that list.

opti
Optimist
14 September, 2020 17:15
Quote:
dr.bath1865
Here are 6 reasons why not...
Josh Matevasi, Cameron Redpath, Jonathan Joseph, Max Clarke, Max Wright, Max Ojomoh.

I don't think we need LB - would be a bit of a throw-back to a few seasons ago when we were casting around for 15 bodies to get on the pitch at various points in various seasons. Having said that, there's only 2 of those 6 who are nailed-on to be above him in a (very long and comprehensive) all-time list of English centres.

Bath Supporter Jack
Bath Supporter Jack
15 September, 2020 13:15
No thank you

As someone above says lets look forward rather than back!

Never In Doubt
Never In Doubt
15 September, 2020 13:19
Quote:
Optimist
Quote:
dr.bath1865
Here are 6 reasons why not...
Josh Matevasi, Cameron Redpath, Jonathan Joseph, Max Clarke, Max Wright, Max Ojomoh.

I don't think we need LB - would be a bit of a throw-back to a few seasons ago when we were casting around for 15 bodies to get on the pitch at various points in various seasons. Having said that, there's only 2 of those 6 who are nailed-on to be above him in a (very long and comprehensive) all-time list of English centres.

Time to resign Tim Brasher ...... I still remember one of his games and while he had clearly been a very good league player once, he did look like someone who had just fallen off a ski-slope which I think he had.

Kidney Stone
Kidney Stone
16 September, 2020 16:20
Its a no from me.

Even in his pomp, with one or two exceptions, Burrell was an average performer.

BerkeleyWood
The Bear
16 September, 2020 16:42
I hope the club, let alone the fans, are moving past the mentality of signing anything that moves...

There is a lot to be said for stability and targeting a few areas for improvement each season.

MESSAGES->author
jayeatman
17 September, 2020 09:40
We only need one signing for next season, a 10!
Other than that I think the squad is well-stocked and well-balanced.
The academy is also looking in much better shape too.



BATH supporter since 1975

Adopted players:
2015/6 Tom Homer
2016/7 Matt Banahan
2017/8 Jeff Williams
2018/9 Victor Delmas
2019/20 Semesa Rokoduguni
2020/21 Will Stuart

Never In Doubt
Never In Doubt
17 September, 2020 10:17
I think we need a 10 and a tighthead. Then depending on how the academy progresses, we need to think about replacing Batty as squad depth (he is 34) and we need to see how our academy centres settle in.

opti
Optimist
17 September, 2020 10:42
There is a very under-used hooker - Tom Doughty and prop - Vaughan in the senior squad, as well as the 4 x props and 2 x hookers in the Academy - so hopefully some of them will start to come through.

Mind you - while some younger players have had some unexpected game time for all GP clubs this 'mini-season' and that will have fast-forwarded their progress - those that haven't made match squads will go the best part of a year without playing a match at all, which will make it pretty hard to judge their readiness/progress.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53
17 September, 2020 10:51
Quote:
Optimist
There is a very under-used hooker - Tom Doughty and prop - Vaughan in the senior squad, as well as the 4 x props and 2 x hookers in the Academy - so hopefully some of them will start to come through.
Mind you - while some younger players have had some unexpected game time for all GP clubs this 'mini-season' and that will have fast-forwarded their progress - those that haven't made match squads will go the best part of a year without playing a match at all, which will make it pretty hard to judge their readiness/progress.

I actually think that 6+ months off for a young front rower isn't too bad a thing as long as they have been maintaining fitness and strength. Too many young front rowers get exposed to the enormous pressures when their bodies are still forming IMO.

In terms of next year I assume that there will be a load of friendlies etc to keep those not in the front line squads interested and active?



[Adoptee: Tom Doughty - dynamic hooker born in Brighton, made at Team Bath. Record for BUCS top try scorer within a season]

opti
Optimist
17 September, 2020 11:32
I read a player/ex-player - can't remember who/where - saying that this 'mini-season' is a bit of a dream for lots of players ... more playing, less training, and I think pretty much anyone can relate to that.

But I accept your point about young front-row players. In fact, I would hope that someone is doing some data-crunching for future use about this period. It may transpire that taking front-rowers out of the game, and just doing conditioning age 19-21 could be very much to their benefit.

cb2
cb2
17 September, 2020 11:49
We have this target of producing homegrown players, so signing a guy like Burrell would not be a great call. Go for top quality or young high potential players like we did with Watson and Joe.

Never In Doubt
Never In Doubt
17 September, 2020 11:57
Quote:
Optimist
There is a very under-used hooker - Tom Doughty and prop - Vaughan in the senior squad, as well as the 4 x props and 2 x hookers in the Academy - so hopefully some of them will start to come through.
Mind you - while some younger players have had some unexpected game time for all GP clubs this 'mini-season' and that will have fast-forwarded their progress - those that haven't made match squads will go the best part of a year without playing a match at all, which will make it pretty hard to judge their readiness/progress.

Agreed Opti, prefer players to come through the academy but as they have yet to get any meaningful game time and the front row is so attritional then I think we look light at TH and hooker especially if Dunn or Stuart were to be called up.

bardofavon
bardofavon
17 September, 2020 16:40
what is it with Vaughan? he played a game last season I remember. came off the bench, did ok and actually scored a try. why has he not been seen since, despite being promoted to the senior squad, while the academy rookie Verden gets a shout?

charlieboa
charlieboa
19 September, 2020 10:57
Quote:
bardofavon
what is it with Vaughan? he played a game last season I remember. came off the bench, did ok and actually scored a try. why has he not been seen since, despite being promoted to the senior squad, while the academy rookie Verden gets a shout?

Different side of the scrum. Vaughan is loosehead and below obano/boyce/schoeman in the pecking order. Nice player to have if needed as didnt look out of place when he had few chances last season.

Verden got a run as 4th choice tighthead as assume henry had a knock or wasnt quite ready and stuart needed a rest.

Will be interesting to see if we try to get another tighthead in to replace nixon but looks like they trust verden to step up.

charlieboa
charlieboa
19 September, 2020 11:00
As for Luther burrell then really not for me. Bit limited and a bit old.

Would rather ojomoh started to get some chances if we pick up any injuries.

I do think cover JJ at 13 isn't great, not a huge fan of clark or wright. Hope muir is developed as a 13 but sounds like earmarked as a winger initially (but played most of his 15s at 10 or centre)

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked
19 September, 2020 11:11
Quote:
charlieboa
As for Luther burrell then really not for me. Bit limited and a bit old.
Would rather ojomoh started to get some chances if we pick up any injuries.

I do think cover JJ at 13 isn't great, not a huge fan of clark or wright. Hope muir is developed as a 13 but sounds like earmarked as a winger initially (but played most of his 15s at 10 or centre)

Totally agree with this. I just get the feeling Muir but lack the pace to be a wing in the premier but 13 could be a great position for him. Ojomoh also threatens but don't they lack game time? Burrell's time has passed.



https://i.ibb.co/pZ68Lvp/Ollie-Fox.jpg

Ollie Fox - England U20 international scrum half, youngest of our four 9's. If you are good enough, you're old enough!

MESSAGES->author
hemington
19 September, 2020 12:29
To be fair to them we haven't seen much of Clarke and Wright (and when we do it is little cameos) and certainly not since Spencer and a faster service arrived. Thought Clarke looked better the other night. I think they deserve a bit of a run before they are binned. be even better if we could get a 10 that could light up the line - we would really know then. it is very hard to show your worth when you get half a game here and another half game in a few weeks time. Give the guys a chance.

charlieboa
charlieboa
19 September, 2020 13:09
Take your point but clark has had about 5 seasons to prove himself. I think he has the ability but has never stayed fit for any length of time.

Wright looks a decent player and as you say these guys will look better with spencer inside them.

Just think long term muir may have more potential than both of them and i think ojomoh should be given chances at 12 if/when redpath and matavesi are out.

9215
9215
20 September, 2020 11:07
Hes signed for Newcastle

BathMatt53
BathMatt53
20 September, 2020 12:39
Quote:
9215
Hes signed for Newcastle

Not sure he will stop them going down again tbh. Very much hope they can stay up though.



[Adoptee: Tom Doughty - dynamic hooker born in Brighton, made at Team Bath. Record for BUCS top try scorer within a season]

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked
20 September, 2020 12:48
Quote:
BathMatt53
Quote:
9215
Hes signed for Newcastle

Not sure he will stop them going down again tbh. Very much hope they can stay up though.

Is relegation still likely next year then Matt?



https://i.ibb.co/pZ68Lvp/Ollie-Fox.jpg

Ollie Fox - England U20 international scrum half, youngest of our four 9's. If you are good enough, you're old enough!

9215
9215
20 September, 2020 13:30
Quote:
BathMatt53
Quote:
9215
Hes signed for Newcastle

Not sure he will stop them going down again tbh. Very much hope they can stay up though.

Im hoping itll be Leicester that stop them going down again!

MESSAGES->author
joethefanatic
20 September, 2020 22:58
I'll be astonished if we don't have ring fencing for next season. The impact of COVID19 on the finances of the clubs is such that we'll be lucky if a few don't fold. 13 clubs seem a bit unbalanced, so I'd assume Newcastle and one other will get the gig.



... IMHO, of course.

Now in Honolulu


Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net