Latest news:

The COML Message Board

The place for discussion, debate and nonsense about Bath Rugby.

Join our new Facebook Group today!

New visitors please read the house rules before posting

Test your prognostications at our Prediction League

Glaws Vs Quins
Discussion started by hasta (IP Logged), 14 September, 2020 20:05
MESSAGES->author
hasta
14 September, 2020 20:05
Well if you want a game full of incompetence and officious refereeing, tune in now!

MESSAGES->author
hasta
14 September, 2020 20:10
Seriously, Gloucester are hilariously awful. Cips just butchered a 4 on 1. Losing 16-3 after 23.

MESSAGES->author
hasta
14 September, 2020 21:18
Phases in opposition 22:

Harlequins 1
Glaws 46

Score

Glaws 10
Quins 28

MESSAGES->author
hasta
14 September, 2020 21:36
Cips probably the worst performance I've seen from a 10 in over a decade.

Also Karl Dickson is not a good ref.

dannyf2
dannyf2
14 September, 2020 21:38
This actually makes me more nervous about our game against them... Don't like being the favourite!

Bepetas
Bepetas
14 September, 2020 21:51
Danny Cipriani looks like he has given up on Gloucester. Commentator says "Cipriani wandering into position pointing at every one else". Wonder if he has the scent of Yen distracting him.

MESSAGES->author
Clarkey3k
14 September, 2020 22:08
Woeful performance from Glaws, bring that game to the Rec next Tue please. 2hr of my life I won' t get back. Glaws coaching team looked utterly bereft...

Adopted players: 2020/21 A Watson; [20] T Faletau; [19] M V Vuuren; [18] T Faletau; [17] D Denton; [16] H. Agulla; [15] L Houston; [14] W Spencer; [13] F. Louw

Family . Community . Nation - [sdp.org.uk]

warrenball
warrenball
14 September, 2020 22:23
Possibly the worst refereeing performance of the season only overshadowed by Glos incompetence. It was much harder for Glos not to score at times, just an awful performance, would have loved to have seen it in front of a full Shed. Cipriani, with so much talent, but so little interest.

TomReagan
TomReagan
14 September, 2020 22:26
Happier if Glos had won as they still need 2 points to ensure they finish in the top 8, so something to play for, not to mention wanting to put in a better performance than it seems they managed tonight.

Bathovalballer
Bathovalballer
14 September, 2020 23:15
I don't like criticising referees, as they do have a difficult job making split second decisions under scrutiny from everyone, but Mr Dickson was truly awful tonight. He made as many mistakes and missed so much it was nearly as bad as Glaws played, handing Quins a win they did not deserve. I sincerely hope he is not involved in any of our run in games or any other game come to that.

I am not the greatest Carley fan but thought he did a top class job on Sunday, especially his comment to Faf that he understood Africans. Priceless. He was not going to be intimidated by either the very large Sale players or Mr Diamond come to that. Mr D didnt dispute Mr Carley's rulings and even said he thought Bath played well and were a very good side. Wonders will never cease.

Adopted player 2020/21 Beno 'the Transformer' Obano

Adopted player 2019/20 Jonathan 'JJ' Joseph.The Jink Joseph.
Adopted player 2018/19 Adopted player 2018/19 Semesa 'The Rock' Rokoduguni

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer
15 September, 2020 03:11
After apparently missing countless opportunities to score Gloucester will be breaking every sinew to make amends against us. Its never a good idea to run down an opponent at such a crucial time. We might be a touch more resilient now but there have been many times in the past when such comments have comeback to bite us!

MESSAGES->author
joethefanatic
15 September, 2020 06:22
Quote:
Bathovalballer
I don't like criticising referees, as they do have a difficult job making split second decisions under scrutiny from everyone, but Mr Dickson was truly awful tonight. He made as many mistakes and missed so much it was nearly as bad as Glaws played, handing Quins a win they did not deserve. I sincerely hope he is not involved in any of our run in games or any other game come to that.
I am not the greatest Carley fan but thought he did a top class job on Sunday, especially his comment to Faf that he understood Africans. Priceless. He was not going to be intimidated by either the very large Sale players or Mr Diamond come to that. Mr D didnt dispute Mr Carley's rulings and even said he thought Bath played well and were a very good side. Wonders will never cease.

"Africans" or "Afrikaans"?

Bath Supporter Jack
Bath Supporter Jack
15 September, 2020 08:57
However it was as if Gloucester have been in isolation for the past 2 months and not observed how the game is being reffed as they conceded penalty after penalty in front of the posts and comfortable Marcus Smith kicking zone.

A team gets ahead by 9 - 0 after as many minutes it makes it a lot easier..................

Then intercepted by a second row who has to run half the pitch to score!!!(Sm22)

MESSAGES->author
woodpecker
15 September, 2020 09:04
Quote:
Bathovalballer

Agree I used to hate Carley reffed games...painful.

Ali1969
Ali1969
15 September, 2020 10:26
Interestingly I was only having a conversation about Carley with my eldest son last night - I have to say I used to think he was the most condescending, arrogant and at times downright rude referee around who over officiated and ruined games - but I have give him great credit.

Clearly he has either been told or recognised his shortcomings and to his immense credit he has addressed it and he now clearly communicates to the players in a manner which is clear and cordial. I personally think whilst Yes he got a couple of calls wrong and seemed to take a dislike to Will Stuart's play - but he allowed what I think was the best game since the resumption to flow.

I would go as far as to say he is definitely one of the better Referees on the circuit and I no longer have to cringe when I hear his name as referee.

opti
Optimist
15 September, 2020 10:37
'I think was the best game since the resumption to flow' ... interesting. Do you think it was 'the best game', as a Bath supporter, or just as a rugby fan? I found it pretty dull to watch (after the event, and knowing the result), and I can't really work out if I'm missing something - could be partly because, having seen the scoreline, and the scorers (all backs) I was hoping it indicated a bit of fluency in our back play.

MESSAGES->author
woodpecker
15 September, 2020 10:48
Quote:
Optimist
'I think was the best game since the resumption to flow' ... interesting. Do you think it was 'the best game', as a Bath supporter, or just as a rugby fan? I found it pretty dull to watch (after the event, and knowing the result), and I can't really work out if I'm missing something - could be partly because, having seen the scoreline, and the scorers (all backs) I was hoping it indicated a bit of fluency in our back play.

Dear Optimist,

I would definitely say watching games when you know the result is not quite the same experience.

Ali1969
Ali1969
15 September, 2020 10:54
Opti - both. I personally really enjoyed the cut and thrust - Sale threw everything at us and it was at times end to end stuff. Right up until JJ's try the game was sort of in the balance - everytime I thought we had this in the bag they came back at us and definitely left a few tries of their own out on the pitch, to me much more enjoyable than watching say a Wasps 1st XV against Bristol 2nd XV - this was what I would call a proper old style battle and well refereed as well (Yes Carley probably got a few things wrong but it was the same for both sides and he let the game flow - that as a player is all you can ask for).

The intensity of both sides was right up there and both sides when they had the ball looked to make use of it, so yep personally I found it a hugely enjoyable game and yes even better because we got our dream result. Clearly I was not alone as my boy said Flats and Mark Durden-Smith both rated by far the best game since the resumption.

It is a personal thing though.

opti
Optimist
15 September, 2020 11:11
Quote:
woodpecker
Dear Optimist, I would definitely say watching games when you know the result is not quite the same experience.

Sure - i'm fully aware of that. But I was really, really looking forward to watching this. One of the benefits of watching the game when you know the result is that you don't 'kick the cat' when your own team make a basic error, because there's no tension in it. Maybe the run of results has raised the bar in terms of what I was hoping for?

Again, it's a massively impressive result and performance. But I guess - in this strangest of 'seasons' - I'm desperately trying to read between the lines and work out whether we really are on the cusp of being contenders, or of this whole period of games is just an all-round blip.

Bath Supporter Jack
Bath Supporter Jack
15 September, 2020 13:20
Opti

I think the context that this game took place in was that it was the proverbial 8 or even 10 pointer.

Sale were, of course doing everything they could to stop us playing and then start playing themselves.

I found the ebb and flow of the match, rather than the backs lines per se, fascinating and absorbing and I can assure you every time we got out of our half an inner part of me cheered!!

Never In Doubt
Never In Doubt
15 September, 2020 13:22
Carley has got a lot better but I still think he talks down to the players. A bit more bonhomie would work immensely well, which is why I liked his Afrikaans aside.

TomReagan
TomReagan
15 September, 2020 15:13
Merely an impression, but I used to think Carley came across as lacking confidence in his handling of games rather than arrogant. A bit like a newly qualified teacher feeling a tad intimidated. As refs get more experience presumably they gain confidence that they are good refs and that confidence also helps them to engage with players. I imagine for a young ref to suddenly be entrusted with penalising top players (that many are 6 foot 5 and they all weigh 15 stone plus must also have a psychological impact!) is quite a challenge.

MESSAGES->author
joethefanatic
16 September, 2020 00:23
Quote:
TomReagan
Merely an impression, but I used to think Carley came across as lacking confidence in his handling of games rather than arrogant. A bit like a newly qualified teacher feeling a tad intimidated. As refs get more experience presumably they gain confidence that they are good refs and that confidence also helps them to engage with players. I imagine for a young ref to suddenly be entrusted with penalising top players (that many are 6 foot 5 and they all weigh 15 stone plus must also have a psychological impact!) is quite a challenge.

This. In previous seasons Matt Carley's smile has been forced and his body language slightly tense - all of which communicates itself to the players. This season his smile is natural, his body language relaxed and, as a consequence, he projects authority which again communicates itself to the players. He's also taken to doing the Wayne Barnes thing of saying "I didn't see it like that" when a player questions so his call and that is a very effective strategy too. He's fast growing into the job and it shows. I thought he was excellent during the Sale game.

... IMHO, of course.

Now in Honolulu

warrenball
warrenball
16 September, 2020 09:53
Without wishing to take anything away from a really good result, I think Sale are a long way from the finished article and seem to lack stamina. They made mistakes which will not happen with Exeter. Like Opti I am waiting for some green shoots from our backs in terms of running rugby, however that is not the way Hooper has set up to play and we will need to expand our game if we are really going to challenge the best. Not easily done but Saracens and Exeter have shown it is possible to add good back play once you have the solid base up front.

DorsetBoy
Dorset Boy
16 September, 2020 12:50
Carley is definitely maturing as a ref. Wayne wasn't great when he started, so maybe it takes them a few seasons to get up to standard and a few more to become really good.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net