Latest news:

The COML Message Board

The place for discussion, debate and nonsense about Bath Rugby.

Join our new Facebook Group today!

New visitors please read the house rules before posting

Test your prognostications at our Prediction League

The Hurt by Dylan Hartley
Discussion started by Clarkey3k (IP Logged), 15 September, 2020 14:14
MESSAGES->author
Clarkey3k
15 September, 2020 14:14
I read this in 24hr on holiday last week and would recommend to all on 'ere. I have read a few player books and this is one of the best. I don't want to offer any spoilers but would say his account of the England team cultures under MJ, SL then EJ is fascinating, the latter being particularly brutal. The one thing I would put out there that was the most startling to me was his 3.5yr out with injuries during his pro career. Here are some links to reviews;

Waterstones

Rugby World

The i

Adopted players: 2020/21 A Watson; [20] T Faletau; [19] M V Vuuren; [18] T Faletau; [17] D Denton; [16] H. Agulla; [15] L Houston; [14] W Spencer; [13] F. Louw

Family . Community . Nation - [sdp.org.uk]

Baffy Buck at Home
Mr Frivolous
15 September, 2020 21:37
Frightening to think that 3 1/2 years injured out of say 12-15 years as a pro is probably the norm these days.
Thanks for the heads up though...I wouldn't have given his book a second thought otherwise

MESSAGES->author
woodpecker
16 September, 2020 10:04
Hear him on R4 getting very irritated about all the questions he gets about bans

MESSAGES->author
Clarkey3k
16 September, 2020 11:26
They cost him an additional 60 weeks of his playing career as well as a Lions tour place. Mind you he would have benefitted from the rest...

Adopted players: 2020/21 A Watson; [20] T Faletau; [19] M V Vuuren; [18] T Faletau; [17] D Denton; [16] H. Agulla; [15] L Houston; [14] W Spencer; [13] F. Louw

SimonG19
SimonG19
16 September, 2020 12:28
Quote:
woodpecker
Hear him on R4 getting very irritated about all the questions he gets about bans

To be fair I suspect the opponents he hit, bit, gouged etc to get those bans were also a little irritated.

MESSAGES->author
Clarkey3k
17 September, 2020 13:32
Quote:
SimonG19
Quote:
woodpecker

To be fair I suspect the opponents he hit, bit, gouged etc to get those bans were also a little irritated.

He was a bit irritated by Danny Grewcock who he alleges slipped his bind in a scrum and punched him 3 times in the face on his full Prem debut for Saints at the Rec. DG then offered a welcome to the Premeirship wink when the scrum broke up.

I remember DG writing a similar story about his lock partner doing the same thing to an opposition hooker on DG's debut for Coventry way back when...

B4thB4ck
B4thB4ck
17 September, 2020 15:09
Judging by the cover photo he is still irritated by it. I might get this book if I need to isolate at some point, always interested in knowing what pro sport really means behind the scenes.

It doesn't have to be written by a mega star, just be a good read and ideally up to date with today's game.

Bathovalballer
Bathovalballer
17 September, 2020 23:32
How can anyone say Dear Danny (the softee) Grewcock would even think about giving a new, young hooker a welcome like that to the Premiership? I find that statement potentially libelous on such a nice, gentle sole Mr Grewcock was and is. Perhaps Mr Hartley would like to meet with DG and have a 'discussion' over the matter and I for one would interested in watching it.

Perhaps our other second rows like Mr Ewels would like to take note on what is required to impose them selves on pesky opposition players, especially hookers who have too much to say. (Apologies PGT)

Adopted player 2020/21 Beno 'the Transformer' Obano

Adopted player 2019/20 Jonathan 'JJ' Joseph.The Jink Joseph.
Adopted player 2018/19 Adopted player 2018/19 Semesa 'The Rock' Rokoduguni

B4thB4ck
B4thB4ck
18 September, 2020 08:24
I think many players of a previous era would have been caught out by today's multiple HD broadcast cameras spotting their so called enforcing.

TG Kesmo
TG Kesmo
18 September, 2020 09:32
[quote Bathovalballer]How can anyone say Dear Danny (the softee) Grewcock would even think about giving a new, young hooker a welcome like that to the Premiership? I find that statement potentially libelous on such a nice, gentle sole Mr Grewcock was and is. Perhaps Mr Hartley would like to meet with DG and have a 'discussion' over the matter and I for one would interested in watching it.

Danny G May have been a lot of things but I never saw him as a fish. Now I can’t un see that image. Cheered me up this morning though.

MESSAGES->author
woodpecker
18 September, 2020 09:41
There are two ways to look at this:

DG punched a young guy in the face three times

Great clubhouse story phnarr phnarr, rugby's a tough game etc. old school shoeing etc etc.

Obviously had an impact on him and perhaps he wouldnt have been banned for 60 weeks in his career if this type of thing hadn't been missed/overlooked .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 18/09/2020 10:49 by woodpecker.

annie blackthorn
annie blackthorn
18 September, 2020 10:20
In retirement, Danny and Dylan are virtually neighbours in Northants! To be seen quietly together at FG in the guest seats on occasion.

Dylan was an idiot on many occasions on the pitch, but his non-rugby life away from it, and now he is retired, is at odds with his professional reputation. Probably buy and read the book, and then give as present to a rugby loving (there are several to choose from) family member (please don't tell). LOL! I thought on the whole he was an excellent Captain of Saints and England.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net