Latest news:

The COML Message Board

The place for discussion, debate and nonsense about Bath Rugby.

Join our new Facebook Group today!

New visitors please read the house rules before posting

Test your prognostications at our Prediction League

Games weekend 19th Sept (inc Euros)
Discussion started by BathMatt53 (IP Logged), 19 September, 2020 09:21
BathMatt53
BathMatt53
19 September, 2020 09:21
Bristol looked sharp in periods against a poor Dragons last night. Can't see Saints getting anything against Exe or Sarries against Leinster. Clermont vs Racing should be a cracker - really looking forward to that one (if I can find it on the TV).

[Adoptee: Tom Doughty - dynamic hooker born in Brighton, made at Team Bath. Record for BUCS top try scorer within a season]

charlieboa
charlieboa
19 September, 2020 10:50
Sarries still have a lot of class players but i had forgotten how many they have lost (singleton, skelton, kruis, earl, spencer, malins, tompkins etc etc).

Not had a massive adverse impact on their league form but that 23 just doesnt look strong enough to me to seriously trouble leinster.

Hope i am wrong as them being heavily involved in europe may distract them for our game.

MESSAGES->author
hasta
19 September, 2020 11:00
Have to seriously question why Bris picked such a second choice team against Wasps and lost when they could have breezed past Dragons with a weaker team.

ballsout
ballsout
19 September, 2020 11:05
They'll make the Prem play offs regardless, London Irish and Leicester as their last two games.

They're targeting Europe, they want silverware. Probably favourites too.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked
19 September, 2020 11:05
Quote:
charlieboa
Sarries still have a lot of class players but i had forgotten how many they have lost (singleton, skelton, kruis, earl, spencer, malins, tompkins etc etc).
Not had a massive adverse impact on their league form but that 23 just doesnt look strong enough to me to seriously trouble leinster.

Hope i am wrong as them being heavily involved in europe may distract them for our game.

Don't know if you saw the Leinster Ulster game but the way Leinster kept picking apart the Ulster forwards at the fringes was relentless, then they unleash a bit of individual class to ease ahead.
Sexton is extremely good but Ross Byrne is what is making Leinster tick, without Farrell thats where Sarries will be undone.

https://i.ibb.co/pZ68Lvp/Ollie-Fox.jpg

Ollie Fox - England U20 international scrum half, youngest of our four 9's. If you are good enough, you're old enough!

MESSAGES->author
hasta
19 September, 2020 11:46
Quote:
ballsout
They'll make the Prem play offs regardless, London Irish and Leicester as their last two games.
They're targeting Europe, they want silverware. Probably favourites too.

We'll see. Their first XV is excellent, but their squad depth is thin, they're behind on every tie-breaker and they'll have to play more games. Sale have Saints and Worcester, not exactly banana skins.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 19/09/2020 12:31 by hasta.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53
19 September, 2020 12:04
Yes, as it stands Bris could potentially be playing:

Euro semi Friday / Sat 25th / 26th Sept
Tigers Wed 30th Sept
Irish Sunday 4th Oct
Prem Semi 10/11th Oct
Euro Final 16th - 18th Oct
Prem Final Saturday 24th Oct

That is a LOT of tough games to win with the top heavy squad they have.

[Adoptee: Tom Doughty - dynamic hooker born in Brighton, made at Team Bath. Record for BUCS top try scorer within a season]

charlieboa
charlieboa
19 September, 2020 13:18
Agree matt, that is a gruelling schedule and if they lose a couple of key men we will see how they cope.

I reckon they have 5 guys on over half a million quid per season (sinckler, hughes, luatua, radrada, piatau). 2 will be marquee but that is still a big chunk of cap so you do wonder about their depth.

Have to say the bits i saw last night they looked so dangerous, ability to tear defences to pieces from anywhere. I worry we would struggle to squeeze the life out of them and they have more strings to their bow.

Do find their selections since restart a bit bizarre, pretty much handing games to top 4 rivals, but if they win europe and make the prem final then you have to say maybe they took right approach.

I think no euro involvement for us, sale and wasps is a big advantage over bris and exeter (no question marks over exe depth though!)

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked
19 September, 2020 13:42
You do get the feeling they are adopting the 'Keegans Newcastle' approach, ie outscore the opposition. I think they have defensive weaknesses.

Ollie Fox - England U20 international scrum half, youngest of our four 9's. If you are good enough, you're old enough!

ballsout
ballsout
19 September, 2020 14:49
Good position to be in though, winning silverware in their second year in the Prem would be huge for them. Don't think Lam minds too much about the Prem, Exeter will walk that.

charlieboa
charlieboa
19 September, 2020 15:12
Its a fair point, euro looks an easier challenge than the prem (though carries far less weight for me). Maybe wise to make that the priority.

Exe may have 6 games between now and a possible prem final, 4 of which should be massively physically and mentally demanding.

Whilst any sensible money is on them to waltz the prem i would be extremely disappointed if wasps and us ,who are able to concentrate on the prem, didnt give themselves a hope. Briz should back themselves to beat anyone one on a given day with that firepower. Sale i am not so sure about...

Mike the Taxi
Mike the Taxi
19 September, 2020 15:41
[www.bbc.co.uk] - Interesting Times

MESSAGES->author
CoochieCoo
19 September, 2020 15:46
Castres forfeit their match v Leicester as too many players tested positive with Covid!

Adopted player 20/21: Will Spencer - welcome home http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/105/105_0_1597354200.jpg

http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/105/105_0_1597330055.jpghttp://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/105/105_0_1597330111.jpg

charlieboa
charlieboa
19 September, 2020 15:49
Crazy that sarries, shorn of so many players compared to start of the season, are doing this to leinster...

MESSAGES->author
Clarkey3k
19 September, 2020 15:53
Sarries haven't put a foot wrong in 40mins. Leinster started slow and have been on the back foot since. Big 2nd half required from them, PRO14 final may still be in their legs...

Adopted players: 2020/21 A Watson; [20] T Faletau; [19] M V Vuuren; [18] T Faletau; [17] D Denton; [16] H. Agulla; [15] L Houston; [14] W Spencer; [13] F. Louw

Family . Community . Nation - [sdp.org.uk]

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked
19 September, 2020 16:03
We have a big dominant pack now, does that mean we can beat Leinster?

MESSAGES->author
hasta
19 September, 2020 16:09
Sarries have clearly targeted this game effectively, but Leinster look totally within themselves and very nervous.

MESSAGES->author
hasta
19 September, 2020 16:33
Game on! Sarries have just stopped playing since halftime.

Beergoggles
Beergoggles
19 September, 2020 16:55
Must say I don't think I've ever enjoyed a Sarries win before .... but I enjoyed that one.

MESSAGES->author
hasta
19 September, 2020 16:57
Leinster overplayed that last 10 mins, but Sarries totally deserved that, well played.

MESSAGES->author
Clarkey3k
19 September, 2020 17:24
Good news for us too, the more games they have to play the better I feel about going there 04/10...

Adopted players: 2020/21 A Watson; [20] T Faletau; [19] M V Vuuren; [18] T Faletau; [17] D Denton; [16] H. Agulla; [15] L Houston; [14] W Spencer; [13] F. Louw

Family . Community . Nation - [sdp.org.uk]

MESSAGES->author
hasta
19 September, 2020 17:25
Next weekend they'll have to go to Clermont or Racing

ballsout
ballsout
19 September, 2020 17:55
Quote:
shipwrecked
We have a big dominant pack now, does that mean we can beat Leinster?

Of course!

No

Quote:
charlieboa
Its a fair point, euro looks an easier challenge than the prem (though carries far less weight for me). Maybe wise to make that the priority.

Win a trophy and build from there.

That's why I'm fine with us being in the Challenge Cup on occasion.

MESSAGES->author
CoochieCoo
19 September, 2020 17:56
Did I see something like 26 phases of Leinster going from side to side that ended up with sweet @#$%& Adams!

Adopted player 20/21: Will Spencer - welcome home http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/105/105_0_1597354200.jpg

http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/105/105_0_1597330055.jpghttp://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/105/105_0_1597330111.jpg

DorsetBoy
Dorset Boy
19 September, 2020 18:33
Quote:
CoochieCoo
Did I see something like 26 phases of Leinster going from side to side that ended up with sweet @#$%& Adams!

But, ..... but, ...... but ....... holding onto possession through repeated phases is everything (Sm100)

MESSAGES->author
CoochieCoo
19 September, 2020 18:40
Quote:
Dorset Boy
Quote:
CoochieCoo

But, ..... but, ...... but ....... holding onto possession through repeated phases is everything (Sm100)

Silly me! winking smiley

MESSAGES->author
callmeMrTibbs
19 September, 2020 19:16
Itís almost definitely Racing for Sarries. Though Poiteís cough is a little unnerving. Especially given the Castres situation.

MESSAGES->author
hasta
19 September, 2020 20:28
Good grief, we thought the Rec was bad earlier this season, the Toulon pitch is awful.

MESSAGES->author
Which Tyler
19 September, 2020 20:56
So the team at the bottom of the Prem, beats the Pro 14 winners.
2nd bottom of the Prem beats Castres 50 : 0.

Are we still worried that Prem teams can't compete in Europe?

A man who cannot change his mind, cannot change anything
RAEBURN SHIELD

ballsout
ballsout
19 September, 2020 21:01
Quote:
CoochieCoo

Bless.

MESSAGES->author
CoochieCoo
19 September, 2020 21:05
Quote:
Which Tyler
So the team at the bottom of the Prem, beats the Pro 14 winners.
2nd bottom of the Prem beats Castres 50 : 0.

Are we still worried that Prem teams can't compete in Europe?

The Castres result is a forfeit WT as many of their players tested positive for Covid and it was cancelled! However I reckon both Clermont and Racing would present no problems to us! winking smiley

Wellychief
WellyBathChief
19 September, 2020 21:47
What a bizarre weekend this is turning out to be. I found myself cheering on Bris and Sarries, the two teams that I normally want to see lose every week. Is it me or do things seem to be falling into place for us. If Sarries win next week I'm sure they won't go full strength against us and if they do I can't see them being 100%. Also the more game Bris have to play the weeker they will be if we meet them in the Semi's or even final. I'm starting to dream this could be the year so now watch us mess it up against Gloucester.

bardofavon
bardofavon
19 September, 2020 21:48
great to see sarries win that one though I couldn't believe I was supporting them. what was surprising for me was how bad the Leinster scrum was. sarries are not known in the prem for being a strong scrummaging side so how on earth did Leinster think they had a good chance of winning the tournament?
I thought sarries' tactics in the second half were very suspect. why hoof the ball in the air when playing into a gale? better surely to kick low for the corners.

gaz59
gaz59
19 September, 2020 22:15
Quote:
CoochieCoo

Yep and just before the last phase I said to my mate, jeez those guys need an attack coach

ballsout
ballsout
19 September, 2020 23:14
Yeah +315 points difference in the Pro14 (144 more than next best) and 74 tries (21 better) just screams "no clue how to put teams under pressure".

(I know you were joking gaz)

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked
19 September, 2020 23:20
Quote:
ballsout
Yeah +315 points difference in the Pro14 (144 more than next best) and 74 tries (21 better) just screams "no clue how to put teams under pressure".
(I know you were joking gaz)

Now that Leinster are now officially rubbish any chance of us adding Stuart Lancaster as attack coach to our coaching team? Swapsies perhaps tongue sticking out smiley

MESSAGES->author
hasta
19 September, 2020 23:27
Do you think he'd notice the different flavour of early promoted ex-club second row with weird ears?

MESSAGES->author
joethefanatic
20 September, 2020 05:03
If Salaries win Big Cup, do they get to defend iit or do they have to be in the Prem to be eligible?

... IMHO, of course.

Now in Honolulu

Awp24975
Awp24975
20 September, 2020 07:31
Quote:
joethefanatic
If Salaries win Big Cup, do they get to defend iit or do they have to be in the Prem to be eligible?

Believe that you have to play in the Premiership to play in Europe so no. I really hope they go on and win it this year though, partly because it helps us the longer they stay in, but mainly because it would be one of those backs against the wall, against all odds triumphs that I think are brilliant.

Ali1969
Ali1969
20 September, 2020 09:20
Great Win for Sarries fingers crossed for them to beat Racing 92. That will be superb given us visiting them...

bobbybathhead
Rob
20 September, 2020 11:31
I find it sad that I find myself hoping Saracens won't be at full strength for our game but I do!
Also, I couldnot bring myself to support Saracens yesterday. Their whole squad was built around cheating. All those trophies attracted a lot of the young talent now coming through. Why any team would sign their players on loan boggles me. Why help out a team who cheated the rest of the Prem for so many years?

MESSAGES->author
hasta
20 September, 2020 12:01
Guarantee you Leinster spend more on their squad.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked
20 September, 2020 12:26
Quote:
hasta
Guarantee you Leinster spend more on their squad.

Possibly, they were beaten up front yet last week they did the same to Ulster as a region its only in the Champions Cup they are up against it.

Makes you wonder wouldn't a Southwest region win it of Bath, Exeter, Gloucester, Bristol win it easily?

BathMatt53
BathMatt53
20 September, 2020 12:44
Quote:
Rob
Why any team would sign their players on loan boggles me. Why help out a team who cheated the rest of the Prem for so many years?

It seems to me that had Bristol not signed Malins and particularly Earl their squad would be creaking by now, notwithstanding the 12 tries that Earl has scored since he came in. Bris are clearly doing it to help themselves rather than Saracens.

In terms of the match, I was very happy that Sarries won yesterday - having been in in Newcastle for the final last year I went right off the Leinster travelling fanbase who were pretty odious IMO. Sarries out thought and out muscled them and generally appeared to 'want it more' at the breakdowns (much as that is an awful saying).

Mike the Taxi
Mike the Taxi
20 September, 2020 13:44
5000 in the stadium at Toulouse, today, apparently, including the ubiquitous drummer.

bathwickboy
bathwickboy
20 September, 2020 15:37
I bet that Jacob Stockdale wishes he wasn't in the stadium. I know that Cheslin Kolbe is a remarkable player but he went past Stockdale TWICE as if he wasn't there at all. Ulster were way off the pace for much of the match and their handling skills were non existent!

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked
20 September, 2020 15:43
Yes he had a poor game but lets be fair Cheslin Kolbe at pace will do that to anyone one on one.

Old Bath Tub
Old Bath Tub
20 September, 2020 15:46
[quote hasta]Guarantee you Leinster spend more on their squad.[/quot

This is probably true, just adds to the fact that the competition is not on a level field . I must admit Iím
Not happy to see Saracens still being touted as multiple Euro winners built on cheating , but from a pure rugby point of view I was impressed with the way they played yesterday.

Adopted Player 2018/19 Ross Batty
Adopted Player 2019/20 Jack Davies
Adopted Player 2020/21 Cam Redpath

"AN OUNCE OF ACTION IS WORTH A TON OF THEORY"
FRIEDRICH ENGELS

hantssabre
hantssabre
20 September, 2020 16:40
Seems odd that Sarries will have to play away in Paris in an indoor stadium. Couldnít they at least force Racing 92 to play on an outdoor pitch somewhere?

Beergoggles
Beergoggles
20 September, 2020 18:20
Far more competitive half from Saints than anyone expected. 14-10 down at HT although I fully expect the Exe juggernaut to roll over them second half. Shame Carly gave a dodgy Exe Defensive pen 10m out in the last play of the half for clearing out beyond the ball, doubly so given the numerous times Exe get away with this every single game.

TomReagan
TomReagan
20 September, 2020 23:22
Aside from the fact that Sarries' victory could help us, I was really pleased that they won. They've been rightly punished for their cheating and yesterday's victory highlighted that for all their creative/dishonest accounting, I think there is a lot to admire about the club too. They've lost some really high quality players and had Farrell suspended, yet still had the hard edge, self-belief, skills and team unity to go and win in Dublin. Those attributes aren't just down to their recruitment and if they'd not been stupid/arrogant in thinking they'd ignore the warnings and not bought the likes of Daly and Williams they'd still be England's strongest rugby club. Wray and his accountants deserve the criticism they've received, but there are many at Saracens, McCall being the obvious example, who've been exceptional.

MESSAGES->author
joethefanatic
21 September, 2020 03:49
I suspect Rassing in Paris will be a step too far for a weakened Sarries team, especially as being indoors makes catching box kicks a whole lot easier, but an Exeter v Sarries final would be fascinating.

Having said that, how good were Dupont and Ntamack today for Toulouse? And the size of the Toulouse pack means Exeter won't be able to bully them. It could very easily be a Toulouse v Rassing final instead.

... IMHO, of course.

Now in Honolulu

bardofavon
bardofavon
21 September, 2020 10:19
Quote:
TomReagan
Wray and his accountants deserve the criticism they've received, but there are many at Saracens, McCall being the obvious example, who've been exceptional.

Tom- if you think McCall wasn't part of it you are being naive. Dean Richards got a three year ban for doing much less.

MESSAGES->author
hasta
21 September, 2020 10:29
McCall doesn't sign the contracts. Richards did direct bloodgate.

TomReagan
TomReagan
21 September, 2020 13:03
My point is that they were stupid to ignore the warning given to them and other clubs, perhaps us, but there's still a lot to admire about a lot of what they do, be it treatment of fans (home and away) and players and the spirit and unity they've built there. On paper that side shouldn't have beaten Leinster and if I recall correctly no one who posted on this site before the game saw them winning. That they did so says a lot about the qualities of the side. I'm impressed with the way we're developing as a side, but I wouldn't give us a hope of beating Leinster in Dublin right now.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net