Latest news:

The COML Message Board

The place for discussion, debate and nonsense about Bath Rugby.

Join our new Facebook Group today!

New visitors please read the house rules before posting

Test your prognostications at our Prediction League

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Exeter v Bath Play Off Match thread and TEAMS and OFFICIALS UP
Discussion started by Comeonmylovers.co.uk (IP Logged), 07 October, 2020 13:18
Comeonmylovers.co.uk
Comeonmylovers.co.uk
07 October, 2020 13:18
What do you think? You can have your say by posting below.
If you do not already have an account Click here to Register.

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 21/10/2020 08:39 by CoochieCoo.

MESSAGES->author
CoochieCoo
07 October, 2020 13:20
Many thanks SW for the preview.

Adopted player 20/21: Will Spencer - welcome home http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/105/105_0_1597354200.jpg

http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/105/105_0_1597330055.jpghttp://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/105/105_0_1597330111.jpg

charlieboa
charlieboa
07 October, 2020 14:04
What 23 are people going for?

Think i would bring in ellis/bayliss at 6 (despite williams going well), redpath at 12 definitely and coko on the wing possibly.

6/2 bench split may get considered as will be hugely physical

Anyone known to be unavailable?

MESSAGES->author
hasta
07 October, 2020 14:14
I would definitely go for Redpath. I would love it if TdG got a bench spot as well...

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked
07 October, 2020 14:52
With Wasps v Bristol at 1.30pm when we play Exeter at 4.30pm on Saturday whoever wins will know their opponent in the final.

The big question for me is will Exeter go for full strength squad with the Champions Cup Final a week later. I think so in the backs but up front, I wonder?

https://i.ibb.co/pZ68Lvp/Ollie-Fox.jpg

Ollie Fox - England U20 international scrum half, youngest of our four 9's. If you are good enough, you're old enough!

BathMatt53
BathMatt53
07 October, 2020 14:56
Mine would be (not in order obvs)

Stuart
Dunn
Obano

Ewels
McNally

Underhill
Faletau
Ellis

Spencer
Rhys

Joe C
Ruaridh McC

Cam R
JJ

Ant W

Bench:

Boyce
Walker
Judge
Stooke
Bayliss

Green
TDG
Josh M

[Adoptee: Tom Doughty - dynamic hooker born in Brighton, made at Team Bath. Record for BUCS top try scorer within a season]

MESSAGES->author
hasta
07 October, 2020 14:58
Ex have been fully rested for a while, so I expect it's all-guns to the end of the season from them. Hopefully that's in a fortnight.

I don't think the ground for the final is decided, is it? I guess it'll be Ashton Gate if Wasps win and Ricoh if they lose.

OldMarovian
OldMarovian
07 October, 2020 15:16
hasta I think Baxter suggested there will be some mix and match even at this stage of the season.
I'd be surprised to see his Chiefs absolute first XV/23 although I don't think for a second they're taking Bath lightly they just have great depth and Europe is their no1 target this season.

My main take-away from our game was your maul defence was very impressive as was your general defence especially Underhills. You'll need both of those turned up to 11 for Chiefs. Spencers kicking game was very good but your chasers seemed to lose interest in the second half.
Ewels and co were barely legal for most of the defensive lineouts but that's exatly how Chiefs play so fight fire with fire unless the referee says otherwise.
I really hope you can find a way to bring your exceptional backs into the game more. You have such talent there.

Whilst it feels like a very tough ask I wish Bath all the best.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/2020 16:02 by OldMarovian.

Never In Doubt
Never In Doubt
07 October, 2020 15:20
Mercer for Bayliss if he is fit.

Baffy Buck at Home
Mr Frivolous
07 October, 2020 15:21
Thanks shipwrecked you beat me to the punch on writing the preview! Good job! I'm grateful I can now creep back under my stone...

Ali1969
Ali1969
07 October, 2020 15:21
Personally for me it is about what we bring to the table -

For a start we have to play for the full 80 minutes + Injury time - there is no point coming out full steam and put a great 40 minutes in only to capitulate in the second 40 minutes and in all truth we were hanging on and lucky to get a draw.

The scrum - We need to shore up and scrummage - It maybe Schuman comes in for Boyce - I hope they keep Mike Williams (thought he had a cracker against Saracens and really got under their skin.

Lineout - We need to be secure - that is it nothing fancy just secure and cut out needless, stupid penalties.

Open Play - The forwards need to keep alert - we know Cowan-Dickie if he plays will tap and go and snipe - We know Ewers will power round the fringes.

Backline - We just need to trust our natural ability - personally I would like to see young Redpath start and go for it - Let JJ, Roko, RM and AW have the ball in space and then open up - for the first time in 5 years play with smiles on our faces - actually look like we are enjoying it out there.

Exeter are a good side - powerful and full of talent not unlike ourselves - it is just they use it and seem to have the approval of their coaches to play what is in front of them rather than set plays.

I personally feel though that Exeter are not the finished product by any means - I still believe Saracens are a more cohesive and complete team.

Are Exeter beatable - bet you bottom dollar they are - if and huge if we turn up there and perform we have a squad which can challenge them - I feel more positive about playing Exeter at Sandy Park than say a full strength Saracens at Allianz Park - that is not being discourteous to Exeter it is just an opinion.

We have a "Free" Card - nothing to lose, make no bones about it all the pressure is on Exeter and Rob Baxter knows that no matter what he says - We have to just have to take the opportunity and prove we are a side capable of winning titles and for once not throw it away.

bardofavon
bardofavon
07 October, 2020 15:40
do we know who the officials are?

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked
07 October, 2020 15:51
Quote:
Mr Frivolous
Thanks shipwrecked you beat me to the punch on writing the preview! Good job! I'm grateful I can now creep back under my stone...

Cripes, didn't mean to nick your spot, apologies.

Ollie Fox - England U20 international scrum half, youngest of our four 9's. If you are good enough, you're old enough!

MESSAGES->author
CoochieCoo
07 October, 2020 16:08
Quote:
shipwrecked
Quote:
Mr Frivolous

Cripes, didn't mean to nick your spot, apologies.

Thanks Mr F for all your hard work. I wasn’t sure if you were doing one so as SW offered I jumped in. However, your previews in the absence of PGT, have been excellent and once again my gratitude.

So who wants to do the final? winking smiley

Adopted player 20/21: Will Spencer - welcome home http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/105/105_0_1597354200.jpg

http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/105/105_0_1597330055.jpghttp://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/105/105_0_1597330111.jpg

Baffy Buck at Home
Mr Frivolous
07 October, 2020 16:10
Absolutely no apologies needed. Grateful you did this. A change always welcome. Hopefully you can do the final? I suspect tho the guru preview PG tips will have walked home by then...

nick holder
nick holder
07 October, 2020 16:19
Let us just go there and give it a lash and leave nothing in the changing rooms. Not many on here would have thought we would have got to the play offs, especially the Hooper haters. We have nothing to lose,

Danchinho
Danchinho
07 October, 2020 17:25
Exeter are a well oiled, well drilled team. I don't see us winning and I don't think it will be close. I don't care either.
I just want us to smash them in the mouth. Make it so physically intensive and aggressive that Exeter limp away and when they think about playing us next time, they have a little groan inside.
I think we could build on the satisfaction of that for next season.

I probably don't know what i'm talking about.

P G Tips
P G Tips
07 October, 2020 17:32
Quote:
Mr Frivolous
Absolutely no apologies needed. Grateful you did this. A change always welcome. Hopefully you can do the final? I suspect tho the guru preview PG tips will have walked home by then...

I should be back to do the final and can do some pre season stuff too.

PG

Bath Born & Bred
Bath Born and Bred
07 October, 2020 20:24
ok - feeling +ve about this, and why not after 40+ years at The Rec, all we need is a first half as against Saracens and a second half as against Glaws and it's job done! Keep the faith guys! smileys with beer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/2020 20:25 by Bath Born and Bred.

Bath Supporter Jack
Bath Supporter Jack
07 October, 2020 23:36
PG's got all the time in the world now he'll probably knock out a review on any old subject go for 20 mile walk around the Skyline and knock out another review before Tea time.

MESSAGES->author
joethefanatic
07 October, 2020 23:43
Even the weather forecast is good. It's a free game for us and one laden with expectations for Exeter. I hope we just go and play and let the result take care of itself.

COYB

... IMHO, of course.

Now in Honolulu

sid the seagull
sid the seagull
08 October, 2020 00:54
As my old father used to say, Sid, a pizza on the pavement is not what it seems, a cone raised aloft is fair game and Exeter? Well it’s just the provinces.
COYB!

SQUAWK

ballsout
ballsout
08 October, 2020 02:21
Basics and discipline. Control the ball, don't let them have the majority of possession. Give away more than 10 penalties and their belly flop machine will bore us to death 5 yards out every time.

fat lock
fat lock
08 October, 2020 07:36
Really looking forward to it if Bath are on their A game. I think we can push Exeter very close.
Sadly I think our main chance of being in the final will depend on some Covid swabs - quite a spike in cases in Exeter at present.

dannyf2
dannyf2
08 October, 2020 07:40
Anyone remember the very first game of the season? They are beatable, if you make sure you win the collisions (no small task! ). As I recall, they didn't really have a plan B and when they kicked to our back 3 we looked solid. Cuthbert nearly broke our hearts, if it wasn't for that awesome tackle by Zach in the corner. Hogg has settled in since then and is obviously a threat, but can be nullified if we don't kick to him and stick to a gain line battle. It will be pure guts and balls.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53
08 October, 2020 07:44
Quote:
fat lock
Really looking forward to it if Bath are on their A game. I think we can push Exeter very close.
Sadly I think our main chance of being in the final will depend on some Covid swabs - quite a spike in cases in Exeter at present.

Mostly around the uni. I'm sure that the Exe players will be wrapped in clingfilm until the next 3 matches are out of the way. Sale must have been a huge wake up call.

[Adoptee: Tom Doughty - dynamic hooker born in Brighton, made at Team Bath. Record for BUCS top try scorer within a season]

gaz59
gaz59
08 October, 2020 09:14
"I'm sure that the Exe players will be wrapped in clingfilm until the next 3 matches are out of the way."

If that's an effective protection then why don't they use it for the US Presidential TV debates? Would be great to watch

Ali1969
Ali1969
08 October, 2020 09:26
Having thought about it my team if all fit would be: Same Starting line up as last Sunday except for young Redpath:

15 - AW, 14 - Roko, 13 - JJ, 12 - CR, 11 - RM, 10 - RP, 9 - BS, 1 - BO, 2 - TD, 3 - WS, 4 - JM, 5 - CE, 6 - MW, 7 - SU, 8 - TF, Reps 16 - JW, 17 - JS, 18 - HT, 19 - WS/ES, 20 - ZM/TE, 21 - WC, 22 - JM, 23 - JC

This would give us cover on bench to cover the main pivitol areas of the game - I might consider bringing Batty in if match fit for his tough, abrasive and true dedication to the club - amazing how it rubs off on other players). Zach Mercer is a strange one seems to have disappeared off the edge of the planet - good match up if fit and available for Simmonds.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/10/2020 09:29 by Ali1969.

MESSAGES->author
Clarkey3k
08 October, 2020 09:42
If all fit my squad would be;

Begin - 15 RMc; 14 AW; 13 JJ; 12 CR; 11 JC; 10 RP; 9 BS; 8 TF; 7 SU; 6 MW; 5 CE; 4 ES; 3 WS; 2 TD; 1 BO
End - Boyce, Walker, Judge, McNally, Ellis, Chudley, Matavesi, Roko.

As others are asking, where is Zach Mercer?

Adopted players: 2020/21 A Watson; [20] T Faletau; [19] M V Vuuren; [18] T Faletau; [17] D Denton; [16] H. Agulla; [15] L Houston; [14] W Spencer; [13] F. Louw

Family . Community . Nation - [sdp.org.uk]

copester
copester
08 October, 2020 10:12
Think we mostly all agree with our best available squad, I personally would have a 6/2 split on the bench as up front is where we will have to be on top to get anything from the game.
15,AW 14,RM 13,JJ 12,CR 11,JC 10,RP 9,BS 1,BO 2,TD 3,WS, 4,JM 5,CE 6,MW 7,SU 8,TF
Bench,
JW, LB, HT, ES, TE, ZM, WC, TDG

adopted player 20/21. Henry Thomas. 19/20. Max Wright
18/19. Cooper Vuna.

bardofavon
bardofavon
08 October, 2020 10:22
is it possible mercer has covid? that would keep him out of the line up for a few weeks. if he has, hooper wouldn't tell anyone.

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer
08 October, 2020 10:24
Quote:
charlieboa
Think i would bring in ellis/bayliss at 6 (despite williams going well), redpath at 12 definitely and coko on the wing possibly.
?

Agree!

john fox
johnnyf
08 October, 2020 12:15
I think you also have to give full credit to Hooper and the Coaches in deciding to continue to train until the Sale debacle was fully resolved.
Only 2 more games to win and Bath are Champions!

opti
Optimist
08 October, 2020 12:41
I think big Joe C has got to start - we have to have some point of difference, and he's someone who could really make them think about how they defend him. Roko i'm afraid has to give way. I'd be tempted to play Ant on the right wing, where he scores a lot of his tries and Ruaridh to full-back.

I'd also love to see Zach involved ... partly to dispel my concern that he's fallen foul of Hooper's anti-maverick tendency, but also, because we aren't going to win this game by just putting as much beef on the park as possible and hoping that will neutralise Exeter's 2-centimetres at a time game.

The rest of the team pretty much picks itself - a great tribute to the S&C team who have taken us this far with barely an injury to speak of (fingers crossed, Magpies saluted etc).

gaz59
gaz59
08 October, 2020 13:36
Quote:
johnnyf
I think you also have to give full credit to Hooper and the Coaches in deciding to continue to train until the Sale debacle was fully resolved.

Exactly that jonnnyf. A mindset that says we're only here because Sale screwed up on C19 and we're gonna get stuffed will lead to only one result

We need a mindset that says we are here because we deserve it, we have had great results since season restart, we have some big threats across the team and we are gonna give it everything from first whistle to last

Then who knows?

opti
Optimist
08 October, 2020 15:13
One thing about going away to Exeter is, should we win, nobody will be able to say we snuck into the Final by the back door.

gaz59
gaz59
08 October, 2020 15:39
Quote:
Optimist
One thing about going away to Exeter is, should we win, nobody will be able to say we snuck into the Final by the back door.

Exactly, and Hoops will probably be using exactly that as part of the mental build up prep

warrenball
warrenball
08 October, 2020 16:42
I do not expect us to win, our only chance may be in Baxter underestimating us, but I think that unlikely as he does not make many mistakes, but it will give us a good idea of genuinely how we stand against the better teams for next season. We have played very well since lockdown and Hooper & Co are to be congratulated, but I think the fixture list in that period flattered us and the games against Wasps and Saracens exposed our weaknesses. Saturday will give a good idea of how well we can play without completely dominating up front and the changes needed to improve our back play.

Agree with Opti, I think Watson better on the wing, Joe C to play if he is truly fit and would like to see both De Glanville and Redpath in the squad..

Bath Supporter Jack
Bath Supporter Jack
08 October, 2020 20:38
Opti I've told you a million times before not to exaggerate!

Its one centimetre at a time................ironically the best compliment I could pay our team post lockdown is we have been playing like Exeter.

In Portugal on holiday with my son (and my wife and his wife!!) he is arranging for some cable thing to be delivered so we can watch this game on the massive screen in our cottage..............already getting excited, could we, is it possible??????

ballsout
ballsout
08 October, 2020 22:24
Quote:
johnnyf

I mean, sure, but that was always going to be the plan. Any Prem head coach would have done the same. It's just common sense.

Baffy Buck at Home
Mr Frivolous
08 October, 2020 22:36
Been lucky enough to go to the circus restaurant tonight...three out of the four of us season ticket holders. My poor wife had to put up with talk all night about the game on sat...it even spread to other tables...come on bath!

Beergoggles
Beergoggles
08 October, 2020 23:18
Quote:
ballsout
Quote:
johnnyf

I mean, sure, but that was always going to be the plan. Any Prem head coach would have done the same. It's just common sense.

+1. Imagine the furore if Hoops had told everyone to knock off for the week assuming Sale would play and win.

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer
09 October, 2020 09:55
Just wait for the furore from the usual suspects if we get turned over by Exeter.(Sm100)

Danchinho
Danchinho
09 October, 2020 10:04
I don’t think people will be angry if lose. They’ll be angry if we play like it’s a training game or if we knock on or drop the ball after 3 passes.

I probably don't know what i'm talking about.

Bathovalballer
Bathovalballer
09 October, 2020 10:13
Bath have a hardly foreseen chance after the season start, to show us all what they can do, against arguably one if the best sides in Europe. Please lads don't mess it up. I like many of us have little expectation but travel in the deepest hope of over turning the odds. Come on one and all, give it a lash. I will be screaming my support and, after what we have seen in recent times, believe we do have an admittedly remote chance of producing an up set. Valiantly hope so.

Come on you Bath.

Adopted player 2020/21 Beno 'the Transformer' Obano

Adopted player 2019/20 Jonathan 'JJ' Joseph.The Jink Joseph.
Adopted player 2018/19 Adopted player 2018/19 Semesa 'The Rock' Rokoduguni

B4thB4ck
B4thB4ck
09 October, 2020 10:47
I think we will have good spells in the game, it will come down to whether we take those opportunities.

Anyway, I prefer to be the underdog, especially when our team has improved since the last time Exeter played us.

Plus we are in good shape with injuries (I think).

We can give it a good go, no point in playing within ourselves. It is Exeter's to lose.

cb2
cb2
09 October, 2020 10:56
I would like us to put some pressure on Slade and Hogg. Slade has been known to send a few passes into row z, when he is trying to force it. Hogg has also had some iffy moments in bigger games. If we can make a good start and force a few errors, then it could be game on.

ballsout
ballsout
09 October, 2020 11:35
Quote:
Danchinho
I don’t think people will be angry if lose. They’ll be angry if we play like it’s a training game or if we knock on or drop the ball after 3 passes.

+1

MESSAGES->author
woodpecker
09 October, 2020 11:41
Sometimes I bet against Bath to soften the blow if we lose, but Paddy Power has Exeter at 1:5, Bath is 7:2.

I think I will sit this out..

MESSAGES->author
Clarkey3k
09 October, 2020 11:50
Bookies, as well as everyone else, have Chiefs favourites to win at 1/4. Bath odds for the win c4/1 which isn't bad in a 2 horse race as it were, with a few more B&I Lions running in our colours.
Weather also set fair - Met Office
I'm having a punt at these odds - Oddschecker site

Adopted players: 2020/21 A Watson; [20] T Faletau; [19] M V Vuuren; [18] T Faletau; [17] D Denton; [16] H. Agulla; [15] L Houston; [14] W Spencer; [13] F. Louw

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2020 11:55 by Clarkey3k.

MESSAGES->author
CoochieCoo
09 October, 2020 11:59
BATH RUGBY SIDE TO FACE EXETER CHIEFS

15. Anthony Watson, 14. Ruaridh McConnochie, 13. Jonathan Joseph, 12. Cameron Redpath, 11. Joe Cokanasiga, 10. Rhys Priestland, 9. Ben Spencer; 1. Beno Obano, 2. Tom Dunn, 3. Will Stuart, 4. Josh McNally, 5. Charlie Ewels (C), 6. Tom Ellis, 7. Sam Underhill, 8. Taulupe Faletau

REPLACEMENTS

16. Jack Walker, 17. Lewis Boyce, 18. Christian Judge, 19. Elliott Stooke, 20. Miles Reid, 21. Will Chudley, 22. Josh Matavesi, 23. Tom de Glanville

MESSAGES->author
hasta
09 October, 2020 12:02
Yes boys! You love to see it.

Would be nice to know what's going on with Mercer, but very happy with Cam and Coka starting and TdG on the bench.

Rokobilly
Rokobilly
09 October, 2020 12:03
Happy with that but still no Zach. The Chron is presuming he is injured but dont seem to know. I wish the club would share some more info on injuries even if just a list of those "unavailable for selection".

MESSAGES->author
woodpecker
still no mercer...

MESSAGES->author
Clarkey3k
EXETER CHIEFS

15. Stuart Hogg, 14. Olly Woodburn, 13. Henry Slade, 12. Ollie Devoto, 11. Tom O’Flaherty, 10. Joe Simmonds (C), 9. Jack Maunder; 1. Alec Hepburn, 2. Luke Cowan-Dickie, 3. Harry Williams, 4. Jonny Gray, 5. Jonny Hill, 6. Dave Ewers, 7. Jacques Vermeulen, 8. Sam Simmonds

16. Jack Yeandle, 17. Ben Moon, 18. Tomas Francis, 19. Sam Skinner, 20. Jannes Kirsten, 21. Sam Hidalgo-Clyne, 22. Gareth Steenson, 23. Ian Whitten

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2020 12:09 by CoochieCoo.

MESSAGES->author
Clarkey3k
09 October, 2020 12:05
Quote:
woodpecker
still no mercer...

Does anyone with an Instagram account know what he is saying, if anything? These young fellas are usually all over social media, don't use them myself, apart from COML...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2020 12:07 by Clarkey3k.

bathwickboy
bathwickboy
09 October, 2020 12:09
That has to be our strongest team with I assume all players available. It will clearly show us just how far we need to progress to become a top challenging team, or maybe, just maybe, we might cause an upset. Whatever the result, I could not have foreseen us at the beginning of the season in fourth place or playing the type of rugby that we have recently seen. Nothing to lose, so let's give it 100%.

ballsout
ballsout
09 October, 2020 12:10
Maybe Zach apart (?), that's pretty much our strongest possible team. I can't think of anyone else missing out.

Rokobilly
Rokobilly
09 October, 2020 12:11
Quote:
Clarkey3k
Quote:
woodpecker
still no mercer...

Does anyone with an Instagram account know what he is saying, if anything? These young fellas are usually all over social media, don't use them myself, apart from COML...

Few pics of him out with his partner shopping, one of him in some sort of sauna-cocoon-sleeping bag thing that migjt be a recovery aid but probably isn't. Nothing enlightening or concerning really.

Did he pick up a knock against Worcester - I think that's the last we saw of him and I have a vague memory of some limping but then Zach's commitment means he often looks a bit battered and bruised at the end of a game.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53
09 October, 2020 12:15
Good to see that Hoops reads this forum and chose my ideal team for this game... (Sm23)

warrenball
warrenball
09 October, 2020 12:22
Also seems to be Chiefs strongest team, so Baxter is not taking us lightly. Given good weather a game to really look forward to, whatever the result let us hope we play well and don't allow Chiefs any time at the breakdown, it is possibly their only weakness

MESSAGES->author
woodpecker
09 October, 2020 12:34
So can we assume that both of those teams have all tested negative for covid..........................or not yet?

opti
Optimist
09 October, 2020 12:36
Zach apart, that’s just about our perfect team.Well done that S&C team - possibly the ‘player’ of the season. 20/23 EQP, (though only 5-6 you could say are home-grown).

That is a beautifully balanced looking squad. 1st half against Sarries says ‘anything’s possible’, 2nd half says ‘don’t get your hopes up’.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53
09 October, 2020 12:36
Quote:
warrenball
Also seems to be Chiefs strongest team, so Baxter is not taking us lightly. Given good weather a game to really look forward to, whatever the result let us hope we play well and don't allow Chiefs any time at the breakdown, it is possibly their only weakness

No Jack Nowell. Their back row is huge, Jacques Vermeulen at 7 etc. I guess they see the lineout as an area where they need to be competitive - ours has been excellent thus far to be fair. Ellis will help with that too.

COYB!

opti
Optimist
09 October, 2020 12:50
I don’t think the dire warnings about player injuries have come to pass across the GP. Is there a lesson for rugby union going forward? Play more, (contact) train less perhaps?

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked
09 October, 2020 12:54
Quote:
Optimist
I don’t think the dire warnings about player injuries have come to pass across the GP. Is there a lesson for rugby union going forward? Play more, (contact) train less perhaps?

Opti, please forward that message to Eddie Jones ASAP.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked
09 October, 2020 12:59
Out of interest who actually selects the team? This season selection has been skilful in meeting the playing time guidelines and maintaining our strongest team.

bardofavon
bardofavon
09 October, 2020 13:29
Quote:
shipwrecked
Out of interest who actually selects the team? This season selection has been skilful in meeting the playing time guidelines and maintaining our strongest team.

the coaches get in a room at farleigh and argue the toss about it (according to a hooper comment in the press yesterday).

MESSAGES->author
woodpecker
09 October, 2020 13:34
Quote:
shipwrecked

They get in a room and read COML obviously...

I do like matavesi as a 'finisher' not a sub.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2020 13:46 by woodpecker.

opti
Optimist
09 October, 2020 13:46
I mean ... I know Exeter are going to win and all that, and I know why. But, I'd still pick the following combined XV - 9.5 to 5.5 in Bath's favour:

15. Stuart Hogg, 14. Ruaridh McConnochie, 13. Jonathan Joseph, 12. Henry Slade, 11. Anthony Watson, 10. Joe Simmonds, 9. Ben Spencer; 1. Beno Obano, 2. Tom Dunn = LCD, 3. Will Stuart, 4. Jonny Gray, 5. Charlie Ewels (C), 7. Sam Simmonds, 6. Sam Underhill, 8. Taulupe Faletau

opti
Optimist
09 October, 2020 13:52
From today's Guardian:

Lam's approach: Bristol will consider placing their players in a Covid-secure bubble for two weeks if they defeat Wasps in Saturday’s Premiership play-off semi-final

Hooper's approach: If Bath win at Exeter on Saturday, they will have a week off before the Premiership final but their director of rugby, Stuart Hooper, has no plans to create a bubble for his team.

“Our players are incredibly responsible guys,” said Hooper. “They are not kids and I would not try to trap them in a building so they cannot go out. They understand the risks and drive standards."

Bath’s captain, Charlie Ewels, said the players had devised a system to ensure no one took risks. “We talked about the costs of someone picking up the virus and spreading it. Our rule is would you be willing to stand up in front of the group after testing positive if you had picked it up in a supermarket? Yes. But what if it was a case of being on a night out with a bunch of mates? Would you want to explain that?”

MESSAGES->author
woodpecker
09 October, 2020 13:53
Quote:
Optimist
From today's Guardian:
Lam's approach: Bristol will consider placing their players in a Covid-secure bubble for two weeks if they defeat Wasps in Saturday’s Premiership play-off semi-final

Hooper's approach: If Bath win at Exeter on Saturday, they will have a week off before the Premiership final but their director of rugby, Stuart Hooper, has no plans to create a bubble for his team.

“Our players are incredibly responsible guys,” said Hooper. “They are not kids and I would not try to trap them in a building so they cannot go out. They understand the risks and drive standards."

Bath’s captain, Charlie Ewels, said the players had devised a system to ensure no one took risks. “We talked about the costs of someone picking up the virus and spreading it. Our rule is would you be willing to stand up in front of the group after testing positive if you had picked it up in a supermarket? Yes. But what if it was a case of being on a night out with a bunch of mates? Would you want to explain that?”

Id go for something in the middle - second week bubble

opti
Optimist
09 October, 2020 13:57
You'd kind of assume that players would effectively be in some sort of bubble even in the most normal of times in the week leading up to a final?

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked
09 October, 2020 13:57
Quote:
woodpecker
Quote:
Optimist
From today's Guardian:

Id go for something in the middle - second week bubble

I pray we have that dilemma to decide over!

Poking With Sticks
Poking With Sticks
09 October, 2020 14:34
Quote:
Optimist
I mean ... I know Exeter are going to win and all that, and I know why. But, I'd still pick the following combined XV - 9.5 to 5.5 in Bath's favour:
15. Stuart Hogg, 14. Ruaridh McConnochie, 13. Jonathan Joseph, 12. Henry Slade, 11. Anthony Watson, 10. Joe Simmonds, 9. Ben Spencer; 1. Beno Obano, 2. Tom Dunn = LCD, 3. Will Stuart, 4. Jonny Gray, 5. Charlie Ewels (C), 7. Sam Simmonds, 6. Sam Underhill, 8. Taulupe Faletau

That's cheating putting Slade at 12! He's a 13.

Ali1969
Ali1969
09 October, 2020 14:54
If I am honest 2 evenly matched sides playing in an empty stadium which can only benefit the away side albeit you would like to think the home side knows all the idiosyncrasies of the ground. We will have to see if resting their first XV was a good move or not? Fine balancing act - I know of coaches who believe you play your best XV to keep the continuity and others who say rest your best XV till it matters. We will see which camp is right - what you cannot deny is that there is plenty of evidence to suggest that when teams don't play for a little while together there is a definitive drop off in intensity and accuracy - let's hope.

We need to believe and each player needs to play to the levels they are definitely capable of - I cannot lie I am concerned with Big Joe starting - he looked really rusty last Sunday against Saracens and it was his knock on from a decent pass from Redpath under no pressure that set up Saracens last try. To be fair to him he may have been nervous about playing on the plastic surface having had such a serious knee injury - It may prove to be an inspiring move - feel sorry for Roko not even in the 23 - we have not exactly fed him any quality ball for a long long time, I just hoped he would be on the bench but it is understandable why they have gone for Tom De G (covers more positions)

I would have expected that Lilley and Hately have been working overtime with our replacement front row especially Boyce and Judge.

I am actually excited because I think we can just go out and leave it all the pitch - a shot to nothing for us - for Exeter on the other hand, forget what is being said openly by Rob Baxter etc their players have got at least one eye on the big European final. I also expect that there will be at least a couple of the Exeter players deep down see this match as a given - it is human nature and that might just give us the edge.

Come on Bath YOU CAN DO IT.

MESSAGES->author
CoochieCoo
09 October, 2020 15:13
Exeter Chiefs v Bath
@ Sandy Park
Referee: Luke Pearce
Assistant referees: Craig Maxwell-Keys, Adam Leal
TMO: Wayne Barnes

Deckchair
Deckchair
09 October, 2020 15:15
Just have a feeling that Bath will be hungrier for this one and its motor is purring the sweeter.
All to play for, little to lose.
Bath v Bristol final, my lovers.

OldMarovian
OldMarovian
09 October, 2020 15:19
Good luck against Chiefs. That looks like a very strong side you've selected and for all that's Holy lets actually see you use the skill and pace in your backs!

nick holder
nick holder
09 October, 2020 16:16
How great is it that we are actually posting about Bath being in the play offs![:wor kid:]

bardofavon
bardofavon
09 October, 2020 16:40
just when you might think it impossible for prem rugby to stuff up any more, along comes the news that Exeter-raised local Luke Pearce is to ref the chiefs v bath semi final! how can that possibly be?

Bathovalballer
Bathovalballer
09 October, 2020 16:46
Hmm. Luke Pearce grew up in Exeter where his dad, Andrew, was a referee /or linseman for a number of seasons at the top level. We don't want any bias there do we?
Mind you having Wayne as TMO might prove troublesome for one or two of us, especially Stuart who he pinged a lot last week.

Sincerely hope Hately has been working his magic on the scrum as I am sure Exeter will want to attack us there with the size of guys they have picked and they will want to make sure our back row stays commited to the side of the scrum. They don't want Underhill going after Maunder or Simmonds.

It is really up to the Bath pack to gain at least parity which the game hinges on, and for an 80 minute performance and concentration. The Exe bench is very strong for bolstering the scrum and not much spare pace in their backs. Not having to play Nowell is a huge advantage for Bath and big Joe will have Woodburn opposite him. Their danger man is Tom O’Flaherty and Mac is going to have to keep him quiet. But O'F is not the best tackler and IMO nor is Hogg.

Any kick must be chased as if our lives depended on it. You don't want to let Hogg run the ball back at you.

Come on Bath ,get parity up front, no silly penalties or dropped passes, kick chase and we can win it. Just.

Adopted player 2020/21 Beno 'the Transformer' Obano

Adopted player 2019/20 Jonathan 'JJ' Joseph.The Jink Joseph.
Adopted player 2018/19 Adopted player 2018/19 Semesa 'The Rock' Rokoduguni

MESSAGES->author
Clarkey3k
09 October, 2020 16:48
Stuart Barnes writing in The Times today suggests Bath can cause an upset even if everyone else is waving Exeter to the trophy. The lineout will be a key battleground and an area where Bath can gain advantage because LCD can be a bit flaky with his throwing and we have the Charteris/Hooper axis coaching our boys on the finer details of attacking/disruptive play. He also suggests Spencer's box kicking, if accurate, will be decisive as will RP's kicking from hand i.e. keep Exeter pinned in their 22 because they can't drive/maul their way over from 80yds. He reckons it's not a day for flashy 15 man rugby, just squeeze the life out of the Chiefs throughout the 80mins and take our points when offered. There is another 80mins to play if we get past the Exeter machine...

opti
Optimist
09 October, 2020 17:02
We actually have more established internationals in our starting XV than they do. Given the magnitude of the occasion - for Bath, mabye even more than for Exeter - I'd hope that SU, Taulupe, Ant and JJ in particular will be viewing this like a Test match, and will understand how to tip the big moments our way.

dannyf2
dannyf2
09 October, 2020 17:04
If Barnes backs us we're doomed!

annie blackthorn
annie blackthorn
09 October, 2020 17:05
Well, who'd a thought it back at the beginning of the season, esp after the 5 or 6 previous ones.

Come on Bath Boys - get down there and show those Devonians how to play winning rugby Bath style.

P.S. Stuart Hooper is a Devonian by birth and upbringing btw.

MESSAGES->author
Clarkey3k
09 October, 2020 17:12
Quote:
dannyf2
If Barnes backs us we're doomed!

He still thinks Exeter will win, like everybody else, just pointing out where and how we maximise our advantages. Of the 4 mentioned by Opti above Faletau and JJ are the two that owe us a massive performance. No flapping from Faletau at the lineout this week in our 22 please (Sm100)

MESSAGES->author
woodpecker
09 October, 2020 17:13
Quote:
annie blackthorn
Well, who'd a thought it back at the beginning of the season, esp after the 5 or 6 previous ones.
Come on Bath Boys - get down there and show those Devonians how to play winning rugby Bath style.

P.S. Stuart Hooper is a Devonian by birth and upbringing btw.

5th Columnist!

charlieboa
charlieboa
09 October, 2020 18:10
Exactly the 23 i would have gone for assuming mercer and bayliss not available (would have had one of them on the bench but reid has been going well).

Selection smacks at more of a 'wont die wondering' approach to me after completely freezing last week. Have to be immensely smart and accurate to give yourselves a chance against exeter but also think we will need to play a bit when it's on.

You just never know.....pretty easy to get binned and sent off these days....anything could happen....

Jehovas Sandals
Jehovas Sandals
09 October, 2020 19:17
Chief in peace.......normally I would be wishing you all travelling down a safe journey.....it would be a fantastic atmosphere in SP. Either way I’m expecting a good, tough game. If you beat us you’ll deserve it and I will congratulate you.
I’m hoping our boys will be hungry to be part of what could be a momentous three weeks in our history.
Here’s to a good tough competitive game

I drink and forget stuff!

gaz59
gaz59
09 October, 2020 19:45
Quote:
Optimist
We actually have more established internationals in our starting XV than they do. Given the magnitude of the occasion - for Bath, mabye even more than for Exeter - I'd hope that SU, Taulupe, Ant and JJ in particular will be viewing this like a Test match, and will understand how to tip the big moments our way.

Agree with all that and your assessment on a joint Bath/Exeter starting XV

But how does that stack up around 56 minutes when the bench starts to come on? Especially in front row, then we really could struggle up front given what happened second half v Sarries

We need to have a score at least in front and ditch the idea of trying to protect it. A massive challenge but if we can do or even get close then golly will I be so proud to wear my BBW shirt to the pub tomorrow night [if I'm still standing that is!]

Ignoring BoB's really stoopid opening comment about the ref. FFS he is a very good ref and a top professional in his field, there will be no bias, I agree it will be won up front, keep taking the points on offer and minimalising mistakes

Broken arrow
Broken arrow
09 October, 2020 19:45
“Their danger man is Tom O’Flaherty and Mac is going to have to keep him quiet. But O'F is not the best tackler “

Hate to disappoint, but with a tackle success rate of 82%, Flats is rated as a very good tackler !

OldMarovian
OldMarovian
09 October, 2020 20:02
I'd agree that O'F isn't the weakness on the back 3. Hogg and Woobdurn both under the high ball and in defence though ... Nowell is a massive loss.

Kidney Stone
Kidney Stone
09 October, 2020 20:18
Two strong sides. Really happy that Stoke has made the 23.

Ex certainly favourites, but hoping so much that we can cause an upset!

clalan
clalan
09 October, 2020 20:19
Looking forward to a great game, Luke Pearce will be this countries best ref in the future, no bias will come Chiefs way from that gentleman, he may make the odd mistake but every ref does in what today is a very fast game.

Really wish we could all be having a few pints together tomorrow and be celebrating our great sport. But things will get better, don’t under estimate the mobility of our pack though, still think Spencer is the key to your possible success.

All the best

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2020 20:21 by clalan.

P G Tips
P G Tips
09 October, 2020 20:41
Quote:
Bathovalballer
Hmm. Luke Pearce grew up in Exeter where his dad, Andrew, was a referee /or linseman for a number of seasons at the top level. We don't want any bias there do we? .

Unworthy of you BoB. Pearce is one of our very best refs. IMHO he has more empathy than W Barnes.

I expect no bias.

PG

Never In Doubt
Never In Doubt
09 October, 2020 21:25
Well I really want to see a win but I just cannot. We are certainly much improved but I just don't think we have the self belief yet. However once the game starts, I am sure I will believe for a bit .....

ilovebathtime
ilovebathtime
09 October, 2020 21:32
Quote:
Never In Doubt
Well I really want to see a win but I just cannot. We are certainly much improved but I just don't think we have the self belief yet. However once the game starts, I am sure I will believe for a bit .....
I would agree on the self belief point. It is at the moment the main thing holding us back. In some ways I don't think that will be so much of a factor tomorrow as nobody thinks we will win so the pressure is off. It may though become an issue if we are ahead in the second half. If we can win, then the belief it will give the team will make a huge difference in big games in the future.

Exeforever
Exeforever
09 October, 2020 22:02
I think Bath have a very good chance of success tomorrow. From the beginning of the season, ie even before Saracens' relegation was confirmed, Baxter had said that our main emphasis this year was Europe, and now that we are in that final I believe that some of our players' heads will be there too. Being even 5% off in a Prem S/F is enough to lose it and I can easily see Bath winning tomorrow whilst we go on to win the European final.

In fact I'd take that outcome now, gladly.

gaz59
gaz59
09 October, 2020 22:35
Nice post Exeforever but the gap is much bigger than that. Take the average of results at Sandy Park say over past 5 seasons, then take away your 5%

It's not even remotely close even if you take off another 10% for losing home fans vocal encouragement

If we can do it, if the belief is there for 80+ minutes and each bbw player plays out of their skins right up to the final whistle then we have a chance, we really do and hopefully a friendly bounce of the ball will come our way

If not Chiefs are nailed on for the double

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net