Latest news:

Dean Ryan brings in Cross!!!
Discussion started by Faithful_City (IP Logged), 05 July, 2019 14:08
MESSAGES->author
Faithful_City
05 July, 2019 14:08
Not sure this is a good move for Dragons

Quote:
DRAGONS director of rugby Dean Ryan has once again turned to former club Worcester Warriors for reinforcements Ė this time in the coaching department.
Former Edinburgh captain Simon Cross has joined the Dragons to support the coaching team during pre-season.

He will be linking up with Ryan for a second spell after the pair previously worked together at Worcester, with Cross appointed defence coach at Sixways in 2013.

We had our worst ever defence with this guy in charge

[www.southwalesargus.co.uk]

JP

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/2019 14:09 by Faithful_City.

Offa
Offa
05 July, 2019 14:31
Of course he has.

Patgadd
Patgadd
05 July, 2019 17:17
IIRC (I'm getting better at these yoof initials) he was demoted to Turnover Coach when Omar arrived, and would have certainly known then that his future at Sixways bore a strong resemblance to that of a Turkey in December.

FlipFlop
FlipFlop
05 July, 2019 19:48
Hardly turning to Worcester Warriors....how many seasons since Cross left us to become Moseley coach? Clearly the school role he moved on to after Mose didnít shape up well if Deans Dragons have taken his eye.

Brummagem Bertie
Brummagem Bertie
05 July, 2019 20:25
From reading the article it would appear that Cross is just joining for pre-season, during the school hols, and not leaving RGS for a full time role.

Whatever you do, do it safely!

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed
05 July, 2019 21:07
Quote:
Brummagem Bertie
From reading the article it would appear that Cross is just joining for pre-season, during the school hols, and not leaving RGS for a full time role.

Yes, itís clear this is just a short term arrangement, a typical off season nothing story.

ROLLO on tour
ROLLO
05 July, 2019 21:48
Hogg nailed on to Dragons given a few months.

MESSAGES->author
Abberley
05 July, 2019 22:03
Quote:
Patgadd
IIRC (I'm getting better at these yoof initials)

Yoof?

These initialisms were adopted in USENET posts in the 80's/90's (before the InterWeb) and even then were mostly based on WWII Morse code 'slang'.

However, bonus points for not referring to them as Acronyms winking smiley

Patgadd
Patgadd
05 July, 2019 22:47
[quote Abberley][quote Patgadd]

These initialisms were adopted in USENET posts in the 80's/90's[/quote]

That's yesterday for me!

Patgadd
Patgadd
07 July, 2019 10:47
Talking of which, I notice that I share a birthday today with Joe Marler, and that he was born in 1990! He's a babe in arms!

w4rriorz1980
w4rriorz1980
07 July, 2019 22:15
The only rugby player who shares the same birthday as me is All Black Byron Kelleher.

2 years my senior.

Eats,Shoots And Leaves

Patgadd
Patgadd
07 July, 2019 22:50
Actually w4rriorz1980, the odds are heavily weighted in favour of your sharing a birthday with at least 20 premiership squad players. I'm no mathematician, but my memory is quite good, and I remember reading that you could bet evens on any group of 30 people sharing a birthday and if you placed the bet 20 times on 20 different groups of people you'd be almost certain to come away with a profit. I couldn't be @rsed myself, but the theory is that out of any of the premiership squads (average, say, 40 something) it's a pretty safe bet that at least two share a birthday.

w4rriorz1980
w4rriorz1980
08 July, 2019 00:15
Quote:
Patgadd
Actually w4rriorz1980, the odds are heavily weighted in favour of your sharing a birthday with at least 20 premiership squad players. I'm no mathematician, but my memory is quite good, and I remember reading that you could bet evens on any group of 30 people sharing a birthday and if you placed the bet 20 times on 20 different groups of people you'd be almost certain to come away with a profit. I couldn't be @rsed myself, but the theory is that out of any of the premiership squads (average, say, 40 something) it's a pretty safe bet that at least two share a birthday.
HaPpY BiRtHdAy then!

Eats,Shoots And Leaves

MESSAGES->author
Abberley
08 July, 2019 08:55
Quote:
Patgadd
Actually w4rriorz1980, the odds are heavily weighted in favour of your sharing a birthday...

I suspect you are confusing the chance of any two people within a group sharing the same birthday?

You need a group size of 23 for a better than evens chance of any pair of members having the same birthday.

However, for a better than evens chance of any member to have a particular birthday (eg w4rriorz1980's) the group size needs to be 253.

Similarly can't be @arsed to work it out myself but, from:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/9f/Birthday_paradox.svg/300px-Birthday_paradox.svg.png
Comparing p(n) = probability of a birthday match
with q(n) = probability of matching your birthday
[en.wikipedia.org]

it would seem that, even with your estimate of 40x12 = 480 Premiership players, the chance of w4rriorz1980 sharing a birthday with one of them is still less than 80% (though better than evens).

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed
08 July, 2019 09:48
Cue debate on the ease of manipulating statistics.

To be closely followed by the debate as to the difference between data and statistics.

As previously discussed.

Donít you just love off-season.

Patgadd
Patgadd
08 July, 2019 10:02
My head hurts

Yorkshire rugby exile
Yorkshire rugby exile
08 July, 2019 13:20
Roll on Wednesday and the release of the fixtures. That'll provide at least 10 minutes of fun!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net