Latest news:

Who will be Captain
Discussion started by Faithful_City (IP Logged), 31 July, 2019 12:50
MESSAGES->author
Faithful_City
31 July, 2019 12:50
A difficult choice this season as there are so many who could step into that role.

Give GJ a rest after 4 years under pressure or stick with a good proven Captain, Alan Solomons a difficult but interesting decision to come

Quote:
GJ
“I enjoy being captain but it is not up to me,” van Velze said. “This is a team effort.

“I enjoyed last season with all its challenges but I like to contribute to the club.

“Whether (I am given the captaincy) next year or not it doesn’t bother me. I just want to be part of the organisation moving forward.

“Other people have stepped up and led extremely well under pressure.

“It has never been a one-man show so it has never been about me, Millsy or Marco (Mama).

“There will always be people that have got great leadership ability that will chip in.

“We are fortunate that we have got a bunch of players that can step up and do a job (as captain).”

Full Article

JP

A38
A38
31 July, 2019 14:13
It's a good question.

My first thought would be that the captain should be a player who would be the automatic first choice in his position. There are arguments that GJVV would not be, for some, the first choice Number 8.

But the "best player in a position" argument doesn't account for that indefinable "something" which is leadership on the field and which would trump playing ability. That "something" might be the difference between winning and losing. Indeed, the final vs Bristol is often quoted as an example in which the captain lifted the team from being multi-points down into a winning position. And that captain was of course GJVV.

There is of course no reason why you can't have a Club Captain who does not necessarily play in each game. The title would be more than honorific because he would be part of the leadership team - and probably chief water boy / message carrier on match days.

Some clubs have joint captains. I do have to say that I don't favour that sort of arrangement but, I suppose, if it works, it works

Patgadd
Patgadd
31 July, 2019 21:06
Quote:
A38
There is of course no reason why you can't have a Club Captain who does not necessarily play in each game.

Dean Schofield, anyone?

Villages12
Villages12
01 August, 2019 14:30
On a serious note I hope it's not Millsy. I really believe it distracts him from his game and he's a bit over mouthy with the referee. He plays really well as a free spirit but the extra pressure of being captain he can do without. Of course, that all in my humble opinion.

I would go for Marco, what a job he did at the back end of last season.

Wah-RE-or
Wah-RE-or
01 August, 2019 19:24
If it were a voting possibility I'd put my mark against Marco. As you say V12, he did a great job at the end of the season and I'd add he is much more relaxed with the refs.

tricky-page
tricky-page
01 August, 2019 20:46
I have to say Marco ticks the box for me.

MESSAGES->author
Faithful_City
01 August, 2019 21:01
Marco is not a guaranteed starter

JP

Bevere Warrior
Bevere Warrior
01 August, 2019 21:12
My own opinion is that a fully fit Marco would be one of the first names down on the team sheet. I concur that he would also be a great shout for captain

MESSAGES->author
Faithful_City
01 August, 2019 22:08
Lewis will be at 7, Hill at 6 and Du Preez will be at 8

Jp

Eco Warrior
Eco Warrior
02 August, 2019 05:58
I believe the days of a single playing captain are long gone. The role will rotate as do the players selected. The recent announcement that Ted Hill and Will Butler have joined the leadership group joining Pennel, Mama, Mills and van Velze suggests that the captain of the days will come from this group. I'm not so arrogant as to say it will happen, just it might!
Overall club captain is a different appointment and doesn't have to play every game just be around most of the time and I haven't a clue who that's likely to be- if at all.
Interesting that there's no representative from the front 5 in the LG. It's recognised the scrum is a vital part of any game but nobody who wears 1 to 5.

Patgadd
Patgadd
02 August, 2019 08:33
Quote:
Eco Warrior
Interesting that there's no representative from the front 5 in the LG. It's recognised the scrum is a vital part of any game but nobody who wears 1 to 5.

It is unusual for a front 5 player to be captain. Yes, I know we have had Dylan and Martin Johnson, but if anyone could be @rsed to wade through the club captains in the Prem or the captains of their country, I'd bet on there being very few "donkeys" in the mix. It's usually considered better to have someone who is in a position to see more of the game.

(Unless you go back more than 50 years, in which case the numbers 1 - 5 might have been the full back and the threequarters!)

Offa
Offa
02 August, 2019 12:55
DO'C was arguably our best captain of all.

halfback09
halfback09
02 August, 2019 18:51
Surely any of the guys in the leadership group can step in as captain on the day, if they’re starting of course. Just give one of them the title for the season, let that be gj and if he’s not playing/starting hand the arm band to one of the guys from the leadership group as we can pretty much bank that one of them will be starting on any given match day.

centrethere
centrethere
03 August, 2019 15:24
I said Venter last season and will suggest him again. He had a pretty good season, but not really sure he can command the forwards when need be. Mills over complicated his game at times last season, but makes an exceptional turn-to / stand-in captain. GJ will surely be club captain though. Duncan Weir - does he need the added pressure - probably not

ROLLO on tour
ROLLO
03 August, 2019 17:41
Offa IMHO Pat Sanderson has neen out best captain by some distance, and his signing was pivitol in us staying up.

FlipFlop
FlipFlop
03 August, 2019 18:46
Agree re Pat- best by far and lead by example.

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed
03 August, 2019 19:42
Except he was unmanageable and thought he was running the team. Clearly a good player, but there was a clear downside in the dressing room.

FlipFlop
FlipFlop
03 August, 2019 20:20
TT, maybe so but once he retired, the team ‘wandered’ for too long, and arguably has taken until last year to get to similar performance levels. Maybe the ‘Mafia ‘ were a problem in the dressing room, but tough on the pitch, when the club were trying to find their Prem feet. All imo of course.

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed
03 August, 2019 20:26
Fair comment Flippy. We all now see lack of continuity at all levels as one of the key issues both on and off the pitch.

From personal knowledge of a first team player of the era, I’m convinced that the Cheltenham Mafia led by PS were partly to blame for some of our troubles, no matter how good they were on the pitch.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/08/2019 06:43 by TeflonTed.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net