Latest news:

Our Owners support a 13 Club Premiership
Discussion started by Faithful_City (IP Logged), 13 August, 2019 07:46
MESSAGES->author
Faithful_City
13 August, 2019 07:46
It is hotting up and a decision is due in September this is an extract from our owners interview, the full WN report is linked to below.

Quote:
WN
PLANS to replace automatic relegation from the Gallagher Premiership with an end-of-season play-off against the top Championship club have been backed by Worcester Warriors’ co-owner Colin Goldring.

Rugby chiefs are due to meet on September 13 – one month today – when they will be asked to support proposals to expand England’s top division from 12 to 13 teams.

Should the RFU Council back the move – which has already been rubber-stamped by the Professional Game Board – no team will be relegated from the Premiership next season with one side coming up.

From the 2020-21 campaign onwards, the bottom club will tackle the Championship winners in a two-legged play-off at the end of every season with the victors claiming a place in the top-flight.

Warriors have finished no higher than 10th since 2006 and were relegated in 2010 and 2014 only to come back up at the first time of asking.

Goldring, who jointly runs Warriors with Jason Whittingham, does not support ring-fencing but reckons the possible introduction of a relegation-promotion play-off “reduces the threat of teams getting themselves into financial trouble”.

“It’s an incredibly exciting time for Premiership Rugby,” Goldring told the Rugby Paper.

Full Article

What do you think?
Do you support a 13 club premiership?
Is this ring fencing by default?
Is this giving the opportunity of a well financed and ready club to be promoted?
Does it make financial and club sustainability sense?

JP

PS I thought we got a 15th share of £250m

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 13/08/2019 07:50 by Faithful_City.

Malvern Man
Malvern Man
13 August, 2019 09:26
I support this. We get two more proper Premiership games which is good. In most years, the bottom club bounces straight back so I expect would win the two leg play-off but the Championship winner will always have a chance if they're good enough.

Two clubs have made the Premiership long term from the lower divisions. When we were first promoted in 2004, with a play-off system we would have met Rotherham who in the Premiership that year got three points and no wins. I reckon we would have beaten them comfortably. When Exeter came up they would have had us in the play-off and we all know what usually happens when Exeter play Worcester!

ROLLO on tour
ROLLO
13 August, 2019 15:19
The decision is such an obvious one to make that one worries that it is too obvious.
If as I hope it happens then as many have said there needs to be a proper rethink of Championship rugby and finaces, starting with a roll call of those teams that actually want to get into the Premiership. I suspect that there are less than we think.

gmem
Garym
14 August, 2019 07:29
Surely the biggest issue with this is that the club which ends uo in the premiership won't know until it is to late to recruit - which was the biggest problem with the old championship system of play offs. If it was in play this season then LI/Newcastle/Us/Tigers/Bristol wouldn't have known until pretty late on n the season / after the end of the season which league they would be in

MESSAGES->author
Faithful_City
14 August, 2019 08:22
Gary, this issue has be raised whenever a change is suggested, I agree with you.

However this time I think the situation is different as the quality of rugby between the Championship and the Premiership has grown into quite a gulf and in my view will only get wider as £millions gets pumped into the Premiership over the next few seasons with CVC involvement..

A reasonably organised Premiership club who are having a bad season will start to target their efforts into preparation for a play-off with the top Championship club.

The bottom 3 clubs of the prem in March will have IMHO 2 options

1. Go flat out to make sure you don't come 13th. This is brought with danger as you may get injuries and wear your best players out, still end up 13th and have a much weekend team to take on the top Championship club.

2. Start to prepare for a possible playoff. Make sure your best players are fit and rested, monitor the top Championship clubs, prepare game plans to beat the top 3(it could be just 1 by then), recruit if you have injuries, refuse to allow your loan players to play against you and get your team in tip top condition for the play-offs.

If the latter does not work then you have to consider that you are not good enough and have to accept relegation and prepare for the following season's play-off

You also have to consider that none of the Championship sides will have played against any of the top 13 clubs as they are all in the premiership, they will be worn out trying to win their league and fighting for the opportunity to play in the play-offs.

If the Premiership clubs get it right it will have to be a very very good Championship side on top form to win a modern Premiership vs Championship playoff

Obviously IMHO

JP

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 14/08/2019 08:24 by Faithful_City.

PMB
PMB
14 August, 2019 09:44
No surprise there then. As long as the Championship continues to be underfunded we now have a ring fenced Prem supported by teams who have forgotten where they came from. Total, but expected, disgrace. The latter half of the season will have pointless matches with the bottom team(s) resting their players ready for a so called play off against teams unable to recruit until the last minute unless they have a Cecil prepared to battle against the now increased odds.

MESSAGES->author
Faithful_City
14 August, 2019 14:37
That may very well be so PMB, but they are going to need someone like Cecil if they are going to survive once promoted.

I don't think side will rest players I think they will be flat out to make sure they are not 13th. I don't think clubs will want to take the risk of a play-off.

Now that Leeds have imploded(financially) and Bedford have stated several times they are not interested in promotion, Pirates have not yet got the infrastructure so are not actually ready "yet".

That leaves which club who actually want promotion, Ealing maybe, but no-one else "YET"

I could live with this proposed new structure, but I do see in the future a club being capable of promotion with all the facilities and funding needed. Solution, grow to 14 Clubs.

Funding is mainly up to the Championship clubs just like it was up to the newly formed premiership clubs all those years ago. It is up to their chairmen/owners to do something about it. maybe they should talk to CVC to see if they would like to help fund rugby a little lower down the leagues.

JP

NW2
NW2
14 August, 2019 21:03
This playoff format has to be an improvement on the debacle when the whole of the Championship was involved in either a promotion playoff, or relegation playoff, or when the top four Championship clubs were involved. To potentially come fourth and get promoted was a joke imo, as is coming top of the Premiership but not being champions ( but that's a whole different argument).

plzd
plzd
16 August, 2019 09:22
Personally I have less than zero interest in watching a competition in which most games involve at least 1 team with nothing to play for.

I always find the relegation battle far more interesting that the top of the table which does not really matter until the semis. This season for instance Sarries and Exe will as usual be way ahead of everyone else so if they are playing in April it is not terribly important to the outcome of the season in many ways.

If the bottom 2 teams are playing in April that is vitally important.

last season I was in Newcastle at the end of the season when they played Leicester so I went along to watch. There is now way I would have bothered to watch two poor sides I have no affinity to if there was nothing resting on it.

With relegation in place most games have a meaning which helps to create an atmosphere in the ground.

I have heard the argument that most games will have importance as most teams will be chasing top 6. In reality a team that comes 5th or 6th is not going to have any chances of winning the European cup they are just there to make up the numbers.

When rugby league did this their attendances fell alarmingly which is why promotion and relegation was reinstated.

This is just club owners protecting their own financial interests.

The argument of course is they cannot invest if there is a danger of relegation.

I own my own business I do not expect a guarantee of financial security. I have to make my own choices as when to invest or not.

If they cannot stand the heat get out of the kitchen.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net