Latest news:

Relegation back on this season
Discussion started by Faithful_City (IP Logged), 30 August, 2019 06:57
MESSAGES->author
Faithful_City
30 August, 2019 06:57
Quote:
The Times
The Premiership rugby clubs have failed in their bid to bring an end to relegation next season.
They have failed in large part because they were unable to buy the approval of the 12 clubs in the Championship, the division below. The Championship clubs were offered 500,000 to accept the deal but have resisted the offer and it is now too late to implement it.

There is a longer article but you have to subscribe to the times

The Times

Here we go again, found this on the newsnow site

JP

MESSAGES->author
Faithful_City
30 August, 2019 08:42
The Championship Clubs have made their position clear they are will go for it if you give us more money!!

I would say you have had your chance, drop all calls for cessation of relegation and promotion, increase the Prem to 13(that does not affect promotion), increase the parachute payment to ensure Premiership clubs do not go out of business and remove the 500k offer.

Leeds are bankrupt and others will follow.

JP

ROLLO on tour
ROLLO
30 August, 2019 09:50
As there are only four at the most who have aspiration for premiership rugby the championship needs to be more realistic in its demnads.

MESSAGES->author
Faithful_City
30 August, 2019 10:15
I absolutely agree Rollo, push Premiership Rugby and CVC too far and they will be cut adrift.

JP

BantamWarrior
BantamWarrior
30 August, 2019 14:43
This is irrelevant for us anyway. Of more importance is the format of next year's Champions Cup, discussion on the merits of the play-offs v absolute league winners and questions over the timing of the extension of six ways to deal with regular 20k+ crowds. Who's interested in the potential relegation woes of Leicester, Northampton and London Irish

Warr-i-ors!
Warr-i-ors!
31 August, 2019 07:56
Exactly. Weve just had an upgraded PA system installed. We have nothing to worry about.

PMB
PMB
01 September, 2019 15:53
"Unable to buy the approval...." Perhaps the Championship Clubs prefer the opportunity (rather like Warriors) to have the chance of promotion. Possibly may also consider the offer derisory.

ROLLO on tour
ROLLO
01 September, 2019 16:55
I would therefore withdraw the extra 500 k and leave the funding at 1.7 million. Make the Prem., into 14 teams with the top 2 ( presumably Falcons and one other ) coming up this season and then allow the extra chamionship club(s) to move up and down the two leagues until one gets established - that should take up the next ten years.

MESSAGES->author
Faithful_City
01 September, 2019 16:58
Id go for that Rollo, it would probably work.

However I dont think the Prem would go for it.

JP

ROLLO on tour
ROLLO
01 September, 2019 17:17
I don't think so either , but I was trying to think of a way to make the championship hopefuls, of which I still maintain are only number four/five, realise how much progress they have to make to compete. Going up and down the two leagues for a season or two may do that ( i.e. kill or cure )

MESSAGES->author
Faithful_City
01 September, 2019 17:47
Its almost like I cant have it so I am going to stop you getting it

JP

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2019 17:48 by Faithful_City.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net