Latest news:

Hansen accuses 6 Nations of protectionism
Discussion started by Faithful_City (IP Logged), 08 September, 2019 10:11
MESSAGES->author
Faithful_City
08 September, 2019 10:11
Quote:
All Blacks coach Steve Hansen has laid blame for the plight of Pacific Island rugby on the unwillingness of World Rugby to stand up to the Six Nations and institute a global season.
Hansen raised eyebrows with a stinging attack on the international governing body a day after his side demolished Tonga 92-7 in Hamilton.

The veteran coach said lip service continues to be paid to the development of rugby in the Pacific Islands, where there is a rich supply of talented athletes but no framework to improve.

On the eve of the World Cup in Japan, Hansen lamented the failure of World Rugby to get its proposed Nations Championship off the ground earlier this year.

The proposal, in which the leading northern and southern hemisphere nations would come together in a round-robin style format, was ultimately rejected by the Six Nations, with members were protective of the commercial status quo and wary of the ramifications of promotion-relegation.

The whole article is just sour grapes because he didnít get what ďheĒ wanted.

[url=http://[www.rugbypass.com]]Full Article Here[/url]

JP

Malvern Man
Malvern Man
08 September, 2019 13:52
There's nothing stopping New Zealand playing against the Pacific Island nations.

MESSAGES->author
Faithful_City
08 September, 2019 15:44
Absolutely!

Just Sour Grapes, because we have a better competition that raises much more money.

JP

Offa
Offa
08 September, 2019 15:47
I can understand the 6N not wanting to jeopardize their tournament, but our nations should not absolve themselves from responsibility. We play the occasional token match against Pacific nations at Twickenham, but how often do we rock up to play at their grounds. When was the last time we went to Fiji? It would not be logistically difficult to play an island nation when on a tour to the southern hemisphere.

Sometimes there are things more important than your own traditional tournaments. For me, protecting Island rugby would be one of them. Maybe Hansen has a point.

MESSAGES->author
Faithful_City
08 September, 2019 16:28
Argentina, Australia, SA and New Zealand are the countries who should be playing more games in countries that are around their's not just steal all their players by offering education and scholarships to move them and their families away from the Islands

How often do those 4 countries play in Russia, Romania, Denmark, Germany?

JP

Offa
Offa
08 September, 2019 22:16
I disagree. The onus is on all major nations to play the Island nations. If we cannot support nations who have offered so much to our game, what hope could there be for the likes of Russia and Germany.
Not too long ago we played three tests in Australia. Why not two, and a match in Fiji?
I just think it may be worth listening to Steve Hansen's thoughts.

MESSAGES->author
Faithful_City
08 September, 2019 22:40
Yes I do absolutely agree that it is up to every one of the nations that play rugby especially the senior rugby playing nations.

However I do not agree that attacking and blaming the 6Nations is not the right way to go about it and plundering the Pacific Islands of the best young talent does not help.

A World Series where the Pacific Islands would be in the 2nd tier is not going to improve there status and financial stability. Playing games against them, touring their countries will, especially at U20 level.

JP

MESSAGES->author
Faithful_City
08 September, 2019 22:50
World Rugby refute Steve Hansenís claim

Quote:
World Rugby says it has pumped a record $115 million into supporting second tier nations at this year's Rugby World Cup after a claim by Steve Hansen that it does not do enough for Pacific Island teams.

Full Article Here

JP

plzd
plzd
09 September, 2019 11:55
As has been stated maybe NZ should play there for often and not refuse to go because they do not get paid £££££s

Also agree that the 6N teams should also go there

I recall that when Samoa where in financial trouble the RFU gave them 1M I do not think NZ gave a sous

Personally I see no reason why Europe should change their dates and format to suit NZ

MESSAGES->author
Fiver
10 September, 2019 08:44
Each summer the northern hemisphere nations go on tour. Instead of 3 tests against one nation, where the last can be a dead rubber, why not get these nations to play one test against each home nation.

I'd be happier if it were more like the autumn internationals. If England went down under and played one game against 4 different nations, with Scotland, Wales and Ireland doing the same thing in rotation. If we get France and Italy involved too then the Pacific Nations would each get plenty of matches, which in turn should afford them enough money to build a decent national stadium and develop their set ups.

However, I'd imagine each game against these nations wouldn't raise the money bodies like the RFU want, but then I feel it's up to them to speak to the TV companies and strike that deal. I know I'd want to watch England play Tonga in Tonga, especially if it means Tonga can keep hold of their star players.

MESSAGES->author
Faithful_City
10 September, 2019 08:59
Love the idea Fiver and why not indeed??

I would also like to see us play in the Pacific Islands, there would be plenty of supporters that would love a fortnight touring the Islands

Why not a combined Pacific Islands playing each of the 6 nations on a different Island?

JP

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net