Latest news:

Van Veltz in fight for the shirt
Discussion started by Faithful_City (IP Logged), 08 October, 2019 10:43
MESSAGES->author
Faithful_City
08 October, 2019 10:43
Quote:
WN
CAPTAIN Gerrit-Jan van Velzeís place in Worcester Warriorsí starting XV is under threat with Cornell du Preez making a strong case for the number eight shirt.

https://www.worcesternews.co.uk/resources/images/10514474.jpg?display=1&htype=0&type=responsive-gallery

Van Velze has been a regular figure in Warriorsí pack since signing from Northampton Saints in 2014, captaining the club in four out of the past five seasons.

All 18 of his appearances last term were starts and the 31-year-old was re-appointed skipper ahead of the 2019-20 campaign after landing a new two-year contract.

However van Velze faces stiff competition from du Preez who has impressed director of rugby Alan Solomons in the Premiership Cup.

Van Velze started against Leicester Tigers but du Preez got the nod at number eight for the clashes with Bath and Exeter Chiefs.

Just as it should be!

Everyone should be fight for their place as this shows strength in depth, GJ has a fight on his hands with backrow players available. Du Preez, Hill, Montgomery, Lewis and Mama.

GREAT!

Full Article Here

JP

AJWarriors
AJWarriors
08 October, 2019 13:02
I donít think that just because GJ is Captain that he should start. In my opinion Du Preez is a much better player especially at 8. Heís exactly what we need in a big physical ball carrier that has a huge amount of go forward and break the gain line. GJ for me doesnít posses that at all, but is still a good player but not as good as Cornell. [youtu.be]

With Du Preez he has great hands and can offload out the tackle. Also the stats donít lie and making 30 tackles against a full strength Exeter team should tell you all you need to know.

Our back row options however are extremely exciting with the emergence of Montgomery and Mama coming back from injury.

My starting back row would be

6. Hill
7. Lewis
8. Du Preez

Back up back row would be

6. Mama
7. Montgomery
8. GJ

They are two very good back row combinations backed up by Coxy. I think Montgomery will be pushing hard for that openside spot too due to his height and ability in the line out as well as his physicality and ball carrying ability. Iíve been really impressed by him and would even pick him ahead of GJ for the bench spot due to his versatility in the back row. GJ can only play 8 where Montgomery can play all across the back row.

ROLLO on tour
ROLLO
08 October, 2019 13:19
Pretty much agree AJ although I think that GV-V has also played at blindside. Montgomery on current eveidence is a real find, hope htat Carey can prove the same.

AJWarriors
AJWarriors
08 October, 2019 14:15
From what Iíve seen on Carey prior to coming to us he looked very good. The one game I saw him play was against Wasps
in the Champions Cup and he hammered the Wasps front row, so hopefully he does the same here while Nick is out. Hopefully no more injuries and we get a good start to the season

Offa
Offa
08 October, 2019 16:56
So long as our front row can hold up, we will be able to test every team we meet. So long as Carey, Waller and Black stay fit we should be ok. I don't know enough about Mudariki and Morris to know how they will fare.

MESSAGES->author
Faithful_City
08 October, 2019 17:08
Donít forget Kai Owen as well, he did incredible well against Exeter.

JP

AJWarriors
AJWarriors
08 October, 2019 18:57
Quote:
Offa
So long as our front row can hold up, we will be able to test every team we meet. So long as Carey, Waller and Black stay fit we should be ok. I don't know enough about Mudariki and Morris to know how they will fare.

Looks like we are getting someone in as injury cover for Nick. Letís hope heís as good as him

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net