Welsh(Foreign) Players
Discussion started by Faithful_City (IP Logged), 28 October, 2019 18:55
MESSAGES->author
Faithful_City
28 October, 2019 18:55
Looks like Wales are about to register two more foreigners as Welsh players

Quote:
Wales on-line

Johnny McNicholl is just days away from becoming eligible to play a part in Wales’ new world under Wayne Pivac.

He will follow hard on the heels of fellow New Zealander Willis Halaholo, who completed his own residency qualification last week.

The pair will add to Pivac’s options as he prepares to take over the national coaching reins from Warren Gatland, whose tenure as Wales team boss will end with the Rugby World Cup third and fourth place match against New Zealand on Friday.

McNicholl arrived in Wales to take up a contract with the Scarlets on November 3, 2016, meaning he finishes his three-year residency qualification this Sunday.

Halaholo hitched up in the country for the first time on the weekend of October 22-23 in the same year.

The pair have the potential to offer Pivac something different as he looks to put his stamp on the Wales set-up.

What about home grown players ??

England. Ireland and Scotland are just as bad.

Full Article Here

JP

Dick Dastardly
Thrupp artist
28 October, 2019 19:41
Very few England players are not “Home grown” in terms of their rugby upbringing.

TVM Rides Again....Again
TVM Rides Again
29 October, 2019 09:23
Quote:
Thrupp artist
Very few England players are not “Home grown” in terms of their rugby upbringing.

The world is becoming increasingly international - these sort of questions have very complicated answers these days, usually involving a definition of what it is to be Welsh - and how you limit someone's entitlement to represent a country.

I would not want someone who had immigrated into England, and felt English and wanted to represent the country* from doing so. It is their right* in my opinion as much as anyone's.

It is the cynical magically appearing somewhere because you want to play international rugby and any international rugby will do that I don't like.

I am sure that is the view held by the vast majority. The kicker is - how do you prove the difference?

*all assuming they are good enough to do so.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net