Latest news:

Asset or Liability?
Discussion started by Simba (IP Logged), 03 November, 2019 17:13
Simba
Simba
03 November, 2019 17:13
Iíd be surprised if we see Fatialofa for a few games after his idiotic penalty which ultimately cost us us the game.
I expect him to be cited, banned and also dropped by Solomons.

Whispering_Death
Whispering_Death
03 November, 2019 17:19
He better be dropped. That lost us the game. Utterly idiotic. Itís not the first time either that heís done that. Rubbish signing. Mills was just as idiotic at the end. Brilliant defensive display and we looked sharp on the few occasions we had the ball. Very positive performance.

centrethere
centrethere
03 November, 2019 17:30
Close but not subtle enough, would have been my thread title after the game.

It was obviously coached this week, when we had the ball at the ruck, to clear out the player on the fringe but not attached (1st defender) to make way for us to run through - couldn't quite see it but Ugo was clear that Annett did it for the first Humphreys try.

Then obviously AS forgot at half time to tell the players don't do it again. [As Foley had probably been told with Ugo mentioning it about 6 times]

So we had Fatiolofa doing it when we had already been awarded the ball - cost us the Kvesic try after the kick downfield. Then last chance, Mills did it again, when we had the ball and the chance to play for the win.

So one that got away, when so close with a couple players not able to think under the pressure.

Simba
Simba
03 November, 2019 17:44
The thread is more aimed at Fatialofa rather than the game.
Solomons appeared to be angry at the post match interview with words along the lines of there is plenty of competition for places so I fully expect Fats to be dropped.

AJWarriors
AJWarriors
03 November, 2019 17:49
Exactly what I thought too. Never heard Solly speak like that before,he was absolutely furious. The interviewer said we were unlucky and his response was ďI disagree..we should have won itís as simple as that! At this level you canít give stupid penalties away like we didĒ adding on to what Simba just said.

On a positive our defence to a man was outstanding and our scrum held up pretty well considering and our line out functioned very well. Kitchener had a great game and I can see Andrew coming into that now too. To a man we played very well and thatís what makes it harder to take.

MESSAGES->author
Faithful_City
03 November, 2019 20:06
I have been saying as much since he arrived but gave him the benefit of the doubt as he had not bedded in.

He did absolutely the square root of FA last season. He is all arms and legs , no aggression, stands back as if he was playing at 7. HE IS A LOCK!!

If both kitcheners are fit and James Scott becomes available Fatialofa would not be selected. He needs to fight for the shirt.

Nanai also needs to up his game he is another passenger selected by name not value. I certainly wouldnít even consider putting him in place of Pennell

I thought Sam Lewis and Connor Carey were outstanding.

Mills needs a rethink, I would like to see Venter and Beck in the midfield.

JP

centrethere
centrethere
03 November, 2019 20:17
watching via TV, Nanai had a much better game today, but Pens was on form and consistent. Hogg was closed down sufficiently as well.

Agree Fatiolofa needs more in his tradecraft in the Prem.

As we all know once England players return it will be much harder.

HeemMachine
HeemMachine
03 November, 2019 20:42
Agree with everything about Fatialofa. Giving away that pen was his first contribution to the game. Not bright enough to play for wuss IMO. Bres was solid today and GK ran the line out well. Andrew K is ahead of fatialofa for selection,

Nanai had a much better game. Really focussed in defence with some big hits put in on consecutive occasions. Looks good in attack but not on same wavelength as some yet ie. unused overlap to CP mid-way through second half. CP was quality today and dominated the high ball.

Was it Mama who hobbled off and replaced by venter? Hope heís ok as was solid when he came on.

On a separate note Ugo Monye is so frustrating. Consistently negative about Worcester and always supports bigger sides through tinted glasses. Him and Matt Dawson are the most overrated ex-pros commentating on the game. Can Ugo leave BT for the sanity of the general public and go join Matt on question of sport?!

Offa
Offa
03 November, 2019 23:14
Was a brainless piece of play. I would be staggered if he was not cited.
I would not question his aggression, more suggest that it is legally channelled. My suspicion is that he is too keen to prove himself after a disappointing first season.

I thought that the team were excellent today. I thought we were better/ the equal of Exeter and lost due to one piece of idiocy.

Diverdave
Diverdave
04 November, 2019 01:20
Did we let pierce Phillips go or was it his choice, because personally I thought he was a good player.

And am I mistaken but didnít fatialofa get yellow carded last season for entering the ruck and leading with his shoulder.

I didnít see the game due having been offshore for the last 5 weeks, but again it seems ill discipline has failed us.

AJWarriors
AJWarriors
04 November, 2019 09:16
We played very very well. We looked in complete control in the first half defensively and tactically. Pens dealt with everything in the air but he had one nasty gash in his leg and carried on in the second half but you could see he was struggling to run on in.

Lineout looked very good with Kitch,but the scrum struggled a little bit,but all in all if we can get that consistency and stay at the level we produced yesterday that that was a huge positive.

MESSAGES->author
Faithful_City
04 November, 2019 09:40
AJ once again you are spot on with that analysis, I thought we played really really well especially retaining such focus in defence against a side like Exeter who are relentless in attack once they smell the whitewash.

The hole Williams dived through would never have been there if Marco had stayed on. As good a player Venter is he will not have played many times as a forward in those conditions against a side like Exeter.

I know Lewis went off early in the 2nd half but he was my man of the match an outstanding display from him in defence and going forward.

Our front row were magnificent against one of the best in the premiership.

1 utterly stupid incident and an unforced error cost us the game. Such small small margins in the Premiership.

The players and coaches should be very proud of their days work yesterday.

JP

MESSAGES->author
drifter
04 November, 2019 10:46
Liability. has not shown anything since he came

ROLLO on tour
ROLLO
04 November, 2019 11:03
This is not a defence but I wonder if Fatialofa is fully fit. Before the second half he was having some what looked quite painful stretching exercises on his knee/leg - frustration maybe, either way he has to up his game by some degree.
I watched the game back on TV. Agree about Nanai , in the game I wonder what he was doing but the TV showed him in a much better light - speaking of which there appearded to me to have been no improvement in the new LED floodlightlights, still no better than what we had before from where I sit.
JP don't agree about the scrum we were mostly stuggling.
Solly was clearly very upset in the interview after the game , undstandably as we keep making the same errors. Whilst the defence was superb you cannot defend for 40 minutes solid. It will have taken a lot out of the players with a shortened turnaround to the Quins game.

MESSAGES->author
Faithful_City
04 November, 2019 11:09
I agree about recovery and Quins, it is going to be a tough week for the players and conditioners they are going to be worth their weight in gold if they can get the lads fully recovered and ready to go.

JP

AJWarriors
AJWarriors
04 November, 2019 15:34
Quote:
Faithful_City
AJ once again you are spot on with that analysis, I thought we played really really well especially retaining such focus in defence against a side like Exeter who are relentless in attack once they smell the whitewash.
The hole Williams dived through would never have been there if Marco had stayed on. As good a player Venter is he will not have played many times as a forward in those conditions against a side like Exeter.

I know Lewis went off early in the 2nd half but he was my man of the match an outstanding display from him in defence and going forward.

Our front row were magnificent against one of the best in the premiership.

1 utterly stupid incident and an unforced error cost us the game. Such small small margins in the Premiership.

The players and coaches should be very proud of their days work yesterday.

JP

AJWarriors
AJWarriors
04 November, 2019 15:44
Sorry I was meant to reply to JPís post but posted without even replying lol.

Anyway the turning point for me might be when Lewis went off. He was absolutely everywhere and on the end of everything. Heís an absolutely massive player for us and you can understand why the boys say heís one of the best players theyíve played with. He gives everything in every game and is fearless and cover every blade of plastic grass.

I would agree with Rollo on the scrum. It wasnít too bad but we were shoved back a fair few times until Palframan and Waller came on. Waller for me is our best loosehead so Iím a bit miffed as to why Black starts? Is he a better scrummager?

If all goes well and we perform like yesterday for the rest of the season on a consistent basis then Iím optimistic for the rest of the year..having said that though I know what we can be like.

As for Fats I donít like to shoot players down but heís been really disappointing. I could imagine he would be on decent money too so I could probably see him heading back home next season and Solly investing in the front row or maybe a top end lock to partner Big Kitch

just got into rugby
Big Bird Warrior
04 November, 2019 20:24
Anyone know what has happened to Ryan Bower? Is he injured? I gather Black and Carey were the most penalised players in the prem before yesterday - think they will be keeping that honour for another week yet!!

AJWarriors
AJWarriors
05 November, 2019 07:32
Bower was injured but I think heís fully fit now though

ROLLO on tour
ROLLO
05 November, 2019 10:13
I am not sure that Bower is any improvement. The real issue is at tighthead, which is where a fully functioning Fatailofa with his bulk could help at 5.
There is a reason they are called the tight five.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/11/2019 10:14 by ROLLO .

MESSAGES->author
Faithful_City
05 November, 2019 10:29
Also;utely Rollo

That is why the 2nd Rows are nicknamed "The Engine Room". The probs hold it solid and the locks drive it forward.(stop it going backwards)

JP

WarwickEastie
WarwickEastie
05 November, 2019 12:42
I missed the game but knew the result and watched it in full last night.

On balance, I thought we played really well. Well taken tries, very impressive defence (great linespeed and thumping hits), solid set piece.

But for some 'hair brainedness' in the last 20 mins, we'd have won.

I've yet to be impressed with Fatiolofa - but I see promise in Nanai who is still working out the guys around him.
Agreed Pennell was imperious and fully deserves to stay at the back on that form.

If we can maintain that kind of form and cut out the 'sillies' we'll be fine this season.....

WE

MESSAGES->author
Faithful_City
05 November, 2019 12:48
Could not agree with you more WE

JP

Whispering_Death
Whispering_Death
05 November, 2019 20:45
We say the same every year. Weíve never been able to consistently put in performances like that. I donít see why that would change this year.

WarwickEastie
WarwickEastie
06 November, 2019 12:44
WD you are right.

But we have to live in hope don't we?

Whilst we are running top sides close at home, I'll be happy.

What I don't like to see are abject performances at home (remember Saints last year?)
If we can win the majority of our home games and nick a few on the road, we'll be fine.
Unfortunately I don't think we have any reason to expect any better than that....

WE

MESSAGES->author
Grasshopper
06 November, 2019 13:22
Fatialofa hasn't lived up to expectations. I don't think he's ever looked fully fit, by the way he trudges around the pitch. He needs to up his work rate.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net