Latest news:

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Michael Fatialofa
Discussion started by Static , 04 January, 2020 18:00
Michael Fatialofa
Static 04 January, 2020 18:00
As a Sarries fan can I just send my best wishes to Michael. That was a scary thing to see someone not move. Not heard anything other than it was not an HIA.

Just hope he recovers quickly.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 19/08/2020 11:03 by Faithful_City.

Re: Michael Fatialofa
AJWarriors 04 January, 2020 18:04
He looked in pretty bad shape

Sarriebone 04 January, 2020 18:22
Best wishes for a speedy recovery, looked a nasty one

AJWarriors 04 January, 2020 18:38
Doesn’t look good at all!

[www.rugbypass.com]

EverOptimistic 04 January, 2020 18:51
Awful injury. All the very best for a quick and full recovery.

Graeme D 04 January, 2020 19:01
Add my wishes for a good recovery. Didn't look good and certainly looked clean out for all the time he was down.

Graeme

1876-Fez 04 January, 2020 19:10
My best wishes to him and hope for a speedy recovery.

SUPPORT Help for Heroes:
Help for Heroes

EnfieldMal 04 January, 2020 19:16
& from me too best wishes

Faithful_City 04 January, 2020 19:23
No news yet, let us all send him our best wishes and pray he is going to be OK.

london pride 04 January, 2020 21:52
Another Sarries fan here.To be honest results, scores and dare I say it, salary cap dosent matter.Someones health and welfare does.I, along with many Saracens supporters wish Michael the very best wishes.Lets hope the injury isn't as bad as it looked.It puts things into perspective.

maire88 04 January, 2020 22:00
Tigers fan in peace. I read about Michael’s injury on Twitter. Sounds awful. Wishing him all the very best and a speedy recovery.

Rinkadink 04 January, 2020 22:24
Heard about this online.... Hope he makes a full and speedy recovery and it's more precautionary than anything else.

Faithful_City 04 January, 2020 23:14
A big thanks to all rugby supporters across all clubs for their concern and good wishes for Michael’s recovery and well being.

It’s a great game we support

Thank you.

JP

big chopper 05 January, 2020 07:48
Chiefs fan....

Sincerely hope Michaels injury is not as bad as it appears and I’m sure I speak for the whole of the Chiefs family I’m wishing him a speedy recovery

Faithful_City 05 January, 2020 09:30
Quote:
Official Update

Warriors lock Michael Fatialofa has been retained in St Mary’s Hospital in Paddington overnight.

Fatialofa was taken from the pitch on a stretcher after he was injured in a collision shortly after he came on as a replacement in today’s Gallagher Premiership match against Saracens at Allianz Park.

We will provide a further update on Michael’s condition when we have one.

On behalf of Michael we would like to thank all those who have passed on messages of support and concern.

Lets us all hope this is just precautionary in respect of the head injury and possible concussion

JP

cwrich 05 January, 2020 11:10
Another sarries fan at the game yesterday

Best wishes to Michael for a speedy and full recovery

Dave Berko 05 January, 2020 11:21
Sarries fan. I sincerely hope Michael recovers very quickly.

I was fortunate to meet some fantastic Warriors fans in Mill Hill RFC before the game. Genuine Rugby fans. Thank you for that.

4934 05 January, 2020 19:11

tigerburnie 05 January, 2020 20:19
Wishing Michael all strength to come through this

Faithful_City 05 January, 2020 20:31
Quote:
The Offy

Warriors lock Michael Fatialofa will spend a second night in St Mary’s Hospital, Paddington where his condition continues to be assessed.

Fatialofa was taken from the pitch on a stretcher after he was injured in a collision shortly after he came on as a replacement

in Saturday’s Gallagher Premiership match against Saracens at Allianz Park.

We will provide a further update on Michael’s condition when we have one.

On behalf of Michael we would like to thank all those who have passed on messages of support and concern

Faithful_City 05 January, 2020 20:33
Dreadful situation.

JP

Simba 05 January, 2020 20:42
Taken from the Sarries board:

Quote:
Darraghgirl
His wife posted this on an Instagram story last night:

"My beautiful husband was hurt real bad tonight. We need miracles. We need prayers. We need the power of God to intervene and HEAL him. I won't relent until I see a breakthrough. You are my universe @michaelfats I got you baby! Thank you for the overwhelming amount of messages of support already.
He can't feel his body (YET!) but he feels every prayer"

Not sounding good! Our thoughts and prayers are with Michael and Tatiana tonight.

Let’s hope things start to look up soon.

Faithful_City 05 January, 2020 20:49
Let’s not give up, the body is a remarkable thing.

davidthesarrie 05 January, 2020 22:12
Wishing Michael a full and speedy recovery. A worrying time for all especially his family. Always tragic when a player, entertaining us, gets taken off on a stretcher. Best wishes again.

w4rriorz1980 05 January, 2020 22:38
Just echoing what people are saying on here.

Thoughts & prayers with Michael & his family.

And of course messages from other clubs fans are really appreciated & most welcome.

Eats,Shoots And Leaves

4934 05 January, 2020 22:51

tigersimon 06 January, 2020 01:50
Thoughts and prayers with Michael, his family and Worcester Rugby family.

Nopace 06 January, 2020 10:01
My prayers will be with you. Keep fighting.

Faithful_City 06 January, 2020 10:15
This is a desperately sad situation for Michael and his family, all our thoughts and prayers are with them.

The club respectfully will keep us all informed as and when appropriate.

I would like to thank all supporters from other clubs for their kind words and prayers - Thank You.

JP

Stopsy 06 January, 2020 10:38
My thoughts and prayers are with him and his loved ones. I wish him a speedy and full recovery.

Bristol Rugby Supporters Club 06 January, 2020 11:05
On behalf of the Bristol Rugby Supporters Club and all Bristol supporters may I convey our best wishes to Michael and his family. Our thoughts are with you.
Whilst we all want our respective teams to do well and have keen banter with our fellow supporters, a serious injury always transcends rugby related rivalries both on and off the field.

So from one rugby family to another we really hope for positive news of improvement and recovery over the coming days and weeks.

Yours in sport.
Paul H.
Bristol Rugby Supporters Club committee.

Faithful_City 06 January, 2020 11:15
Massive thanks Paul H and Bristol Supporter's Club, for your lovely words and kind thoughts.

This is when we all come together as people as well as Rugby Supporters.

It would be nice to think that all these good wishes around the country could merge and center on the recovery of Michael.

JP

Sarrie1876 06 January, 2020 14:23
We wish you a speedy and full recovery Michael, our prayers and thoughts are with you and your family.

Faithful_City 06 January, 2020 17:47
Quote:
The OFFY

Michael Fatialofa will undergo surgery tonight as he remains in St Mary’s Hospital in London.

We continue to thank everyone for their outpouring of support

Good luck Michael

trummy200 06 January, 2020 17:59
Hoping all goes well and a full recovery is achieved.

Saintsby 06 January, 2020 18:11
Saint here
My thoughts prayers and hopes for a full recovery for Michael from me and my family to his. Sport rugby and rivalry are irrelevant at times like this. Go well big man.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2020 09:11 by Saintsby.

centrethere 06 January, 2020 18:19
[www.bbc.co.uk]

BBC gives a bit more detail on what is happening

Faithful_City 06 January, 2020 19:55
Quote:

Worcester lock Michael Fatialofa is to undergo surgery on the neck injury he sustained in the Premiership loss at Saracens on Saturday.

The 27-year-old remains in intensive care at St Mary's Hospital in central London after sustaining bruising and swelling on his spinal cord.

He will undergo surgery on Monday evening to relieve the pressure caused by the bruising.

Fatialofa is fully conscious and is being supported by his family.

"Nick Tait, Warriors' club doctor, and the club's medical team are in daily contact with Michael's neurosurgeon," a Worcester statement read.

"Michael and his wife, Tatiana, have been overwhelmed by messages and offers of support from the rugby community across the world.

"Warriors players, staff and club co-owners Colin Goldring and Jason Whittingham, have also been closely involved in supporting Michael and his family."

centrethere 06 January, 2020 20:32
It says

"Michael received an injury to his neck … which left him with reduced power and sensation in his arms and legs.'

But not clear if this is a medical comment or other.

centrethere 06 January, 2020 20:38
Anyway,

Best wishes Michael.

Saint Maul 06 January, 2020 23:21
Hopefully tonight's surgery to restore function is a success. My thoughts are with you and your family Michael.

The below is an extract from Sky's website

"A club statement read: "Initial scans were positive, showing no broken bones, however, he has some bruising and swelling on his spinal cord.

"He will undergo surgery this evening in order to relieve the pressure caused by the bruising and help restore function.

"Nick Tait, Warriors' club doctor, and the club's medical team are in daily contact with Michael's neurosurgeon."

Jehovas Sandals 07 January, 2020 08:01
Another Chief fan here wishing Michael all the very best and hopefully a full and speedy recovery.
It's times like these that brings the rugby family together and rightly so.

I drink and forget stuff!

Faithful_City 07 January, 2020 12:26
This is really good news

Quote:
WN

MICHAEL Fatialofa's wife has reported his neck surgery was a success.

The Warriors lock underwent an operation to alleviate "bruising and swelling on his spinal cord" that left him with "reduced power and sensation in his arms and legs".

READ MORE | "Stable" Fatialofa set for surgery

Fatiafola has been in St Mary’s Hospital, London, since Saturday when he was stretchered off in a neck brace during Worcester's 62-5 defeat at Saracens.

Tatiana Fatialofa posted a picture of her husband's tattoo, which features a quote from the Bible, on Instragram with the caption: “Michael is the strongest man I know.

"Surgery was a success… but we already knew it would be because if God is for us, who can be against us!”

Fantastic!!

JP

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2020 12:27 by Faithful_City.

Faithful_City 07 January, 2020 12:59
Quote:
From the Offy

Warriors lock Michael Fatialofa is resting and recovering in St Mary’s Hospital in Paddington having undergone surgery last night to relieve pressure on his spinal cord caused by swelling.

The operation was a success and Michael is stable, but he remains in a serious condition and is receiving on-going care at the Intensive Care Unit of the hospital.

The process of recovery and observation of improvement will now begin. As always our thoughts and prayers are with Michael and his family who we will continue support however we can as part of the Warriors family.

Michael and his family are sincerely grateful for the support shown by the rugby community.

We will update on Michael’s condition as appropriate.

Its the first step!

JP

AJWarriors 07 January, 2020 13:06
The most recent post from his wife doesn’t sound good at all. Looks like his breathing and movement could be seriously affected. I feel really sorry for them. I’m really hopeful of a miracle

Faithful_City 07 January, 2020 13:12
Where did you see that AJ?

JP

Stopsy 07 January, 2020 13:15
Very happy to hear the operation has been successful, keeping him and his in my prayers.

Saint.Kenneth 07 January, 2020 14:16
I feel stupid for only just hearing of this.

Best wishes to everyone who knows him, loves him and supports him and of course to Michael himself. Such a terrible accident but hopefully with every passing day the news will get better.

Vespulavulgaris 07 January, 2020 18:10
The very best of wishes to Michael, his family, and the wider Worcester community from everyone over at www.onceawasp.com Fingers crossed for the best possible outcome.

For what it's worth, one of our members is a very experienced back surgeon and has posted his thoughts here: [onceawasp.com]

Faithful_City 07 January, 2020 18:25
Many thanks Vespulavulgaris for your kind words of support and all the Wasps Supporters.

All we can do is think and feel positive hoping it transfers to michaels recovery.

We will try and keep this thread up to date

JP

Faithful_City 07 January, 2020 20:00
Interview with Alan Solomons

Quote:
WN

https://www.worcesternews.co.uk/resources/images/4661789.jpg

ALAN Solomons lifted the lid on the worst possible week at Warriors as the rugby world anxiously awaits news on Michael Fatialofa's neck injury.

The New Zealander underwent successful surgery to alleviate "bruising and swelling on his spinal cord" that left him with "reduced power and sensation in his arms and legs" after being stretchered off at Saracens on Saturday.

Solomons revealed how club doctor Nick Tait had addressed the rest of the squad with Warriors keen to ensure the support network is in place for everyone, particularly Fatialofa and his loved ones.

"The players, staff and everyone, all our thoughts are with Michael and his family," said Solomons.

"It seems that it (the surgery) was positive but he remains in intensive care and his condition remains serious.

"From where I was I couldn't see what had happened clearly but the replay didn't look good. Full marks to all the medical staff involved, they did all the right things and managed to get him to hospital.

"He is in the hands of experts, good hands, although it is obviously not a pleasant thing."

Full Interview HERE

JP

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2020 20:04 by Faithful_City.

Fiver 08 January, 2020 11:22
Quote:
Vespulavulgaris
The very best of wishes to Michael, his family, and the wider Worcester community from everyone over at www.onceawasp.com Fingers crossed for the best possible outcome.
For what it's worth, one of our members is a very experienced back surgeon and has posted his thoughts here: [onceawasp.com]

A very interesting read, this might explain the latest message from Tatiana and provide some hope for a decent recovery. I can't stress enough my best wishes to Michael and his family for a speedy recovery.

WarwickEastie 08 January, 2020 12:21
Best wishes to Michael for a speedy recovery. When something like this happens, it puts everything into perspective.

Faithful_City 08 January, 2020 14:09
A posting on twitter from Micael's wife who so desperately wants to be by his side 24/7 and the hospital is making that difficult.

Quote:
Tatiana Fatialofa

MICHAEL Fatialofa is “feeling so positive" today after drawing inspiration from the flurry of messages from well-wishers while wife Tatiana pushes for 24-hour access to his bedside.

Tatiana Fatialofa has been sharing updates via Instagram, laying bare the emotions of her family’s world being turned upside down during the early hours of the morning and making the case to be able to stay with her husband throughout his recovery.

“When the lights go out and this all fades for everyone else, our world will still be standing still and twisted upside down, that’s why we ask for prayers now, knowing they will be what sustains us in the days, weeks, months and years to come when the real work begins”.

“This isn’t “news” this is Michael’s LIFE! Our life! Our future children’s life (you best believe we will be able to have anau of our own one day!)

“We are otherwise two very keep-to-ourselves humans connected to extremely tight-knit aiga/communities, and we’ve never cared for the fuss, but — when crisis hits our shores it’s out of the desperation and humility of my heart to call on others to stand in the gap for my darling husband, and see that God gets maximum glory through this brutal situation”.

“I need every prayer warrior willing enough to fight for 24/7 access”.

“If you know us, we are that couple who do EVERYTHING together and I mean inseparably so. We are ONE, so restrictively being apart for 14-plus hours a day with limited visiting (with the potential for even stricter hours as he eventually moves through wards) is an absolute NO!!!”

“We have evidently seen that when we are together he’s been stable and progressing”.

“When we are apart he deteriorates in some way. It’s the same when his loved ones are present too”.

"We simply cannot have any barriers to being in proximity at all times!”

“Our Pasifika know that FAMILIES ALWAYS STICK TOGETHER, we do not leave each other’s sides. We are not raised as individuals, we belong to one collective whole — the village a village separated is weak.

So, help us unite our village because we only do STRONG!!!”

An update this morning revealed Michael had been in higher spirits.

Helped by yesterday's visit from Cardiff Blues player and friend Willis Halaholo, who said,“He gets so encouraged and constantly asks me to show or read him messages of support, they all keep his spirits high! Thank you to everyone for reaching out, we are moved in a real way. Not just saying that!”

“Truly thankful.”

Lovely passionate loving words, I truly hope the hospital can keep them together as this undoubtedly will help Michael to recover.

ROLLO 08 January, 2020 15:57
It is a difficult situation I am pretty sure that the hostpital will do what is best.

Hallowed Warrior 08 January, 2020 16:30
Praying for a speedy recovery - kia ora wawe te tangata toa

shrewsburyman 08 January, 2020 16:34
All we can do is pray for his recovery. Such moving words and so lovely that a friend and Cardiff Blues player was able to visit.

Faithful_City 08 January, 2020 17:53
https://www.sixwaysrugby.co.uk/Sportsnetwork/Images/Players/MichaelFats.jpg

Michael and Tatiana

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/2020 18:01 by Faithful_City.

Humps for 1 Mile 08 January, 2020 18:33
Big Michael - the best wishes of my family fly to you for a full recovery. You seem to be in excellent hands and with Tatiana and the whole rugby community behind you the news we hear seems positive. Tiny positive steps to start - we hope for news of giant leaps later.

To think that you are in this position through playing a competitive game we all love for the entertainment of us spectators is sobering (to put it mildly). You will not be forgotten by the supporters of Worcester Warriors or the wider community - we are with you every second. Take heart.

Get well soon Big Man - Sixways and the world misses your radiant smile.

AJWarriors 08 January, 2020 23:45
His wife had just posted an update and it sounds better. She adds that there’s improved breathing in his chest and the strength in one of his legs is coming back.

She also mentioned Melani Nanai and his wife came through massively for them and she’s grateful to friends/family and the rugby community for everything they have done.

What a special club and players we support. They have really supported him and his wife so much.

Faithful_City 09 January, 2020 10:04
Kitto and Miller Open Up

When something as devastating as this it is not only the player and his family who are feeling the pain but also his friends and colleagues.

Here's what the players are feeling for "Fats"

Quote:
Worcester News

https://www.worcesternews.co.uk/resources/images/9391898?type=responsive-gallery-fullscreen

Business as usual simply isn’t possible. Phones are grasped and refreshed at a rate of knots and that feeling in the pits of stomachs scarcely subsides.

Yet the harsh reality of professional sport is that life has to go on with obligations to fulfil and matches to play.

The world wants to know what is happening and the club is inevitably under the spotlight more than ever at a time when everyone would prefer to shut the curtains and turn out the lights.

It is to Warriors’ credit, then, that the response in public and behind the scenes has been open, warm and sincere.

Step forward Isaac Miller and Jono Kitto, not exactly regulars at press conferences, to reflect the feeling behind the scenes at Sixways.

“As a squad we were horrified to see an injury like that to one of our mates, all our thoughts and prayers are with him and his family,” said Miller.

“All of the boys are massively concerned and just want to see his condition improve.

“The boys are there for each other and it is important to say that Fats is a such a good man around the squad as well, he’s always smiling and having a laugh."

Kitto continued: “It is toughest for Fats and his family. It is devastating and something you never expect to happen so close to home in a rugby environment.

“You feel a bit redundant in terms of how you can help while he is in intensive care but the people there are doing the best job to get him back up and running.

“We are all feeling for him and thinking about him. We just want him to recover as best he can.”

The Full Interview HERE

On Saturday the team will be playing for Michael, let's make sure we are supporting for him.

JP

Faithful_City 09 January, 2020 10:24
An Article taken from the Daily Telegraph a reflection on how this affects everyone.

Quote:
The Daily Telegraph

https://digitaledition.telegraph.co.uk/sites/default/files/styles/1536/public/article-pictures/20/01/07/Fatialofa_2.jpg

Worrying time: Michael Fatialofa, of Worcester Warriors, is carried from the pitch with a serious neck injury during the Premiership match against Saracens

A sense of shock still hangs heavily over Worcester Warriors’ Sixways Stadium four days after second-row Michael Fatialofa suffered a devastating neck injury against Saracens.

Players and staff are still trying to make sense of the senselessness: how Fatialofa carried the ball into contact, as he and his team-mates have done thousands of times before, only to end up in the intensive care unit of St Mary’s Hospital in Paddington.

An operation on Monday night to relieve pressure caused by swelling on his spinal cord was deemed a success, but it is still far too early to say whether the 27-year-old will regain full function in his limbs, let alone resume his career. Such a prognosis may take days, if not weeks.

Even in a sport where serious injuries occur weekly, this was an extremely uncomfortable reminder of the grave risks involved in rugby. Advances in conditioning at professional level provide no cloak of invincibility to potentially catastrophic injuries more commonly associated with the grass-roots game.

It should also provide a dose of perspective for those using words such as “tragedy” on both sides of the Saracens salary-cap debate.

The injury occurred in the 50th minute of Worcester’s 62-5 defeat. Fatialofa had not been on the pitch for 60 seconds when he carried the ball into Saracens replacements Jack Singleton and Richard Barrington, and collapsed to the floor. It was only upon viewing the replay that Alan Solomons, the Worcester director of rugby, noticed Fatialofa’s neck bent forward as he dipped into contact.

Referee Craig Maxwell-Keys stopped play immediately. Although Fatialofa remained conscious, the expressions of the Worcester medics immediately relayed the gravity of the situation.

Play was delayed 15 minutes before Fatialofa was taken away in an ambulance. He was accompanied by Nick Tait, the club doctor, and Ropate Rinakama, the Fijian prop. Worcester owner Colin Goldring visited Fatialofa that evening. Even accounting for the final scoreline, there was a particularly sombre air around Worcester’s changing room. “With the severity of the injury, obviously it has an impact on them seeing Michael on the ground and he can’t move,” Solomons said.

The club are conditioned to adversity. Cornell Du Preez spent six weeks in a Birmingham hospital after suffering a fractured larynx on his debut. Flanker Marco Mama could have died if not for an operation on what he thought was a dead leg, but turned out to be compartment syndrome. Nevertheless, the fate of Fatialofa was forefront of the squad’s minds as Worcester headed home from Allianz Park.

“The moment you see any mate come off for any injury, you’re feeling for him,” scrum-half Jono Kitto, who was a travelling reserve against Saracens, said.

“You go up and ask how they’re doing, pat them on the back, you know what it’s like to be injured. With his case, when he’s being wheeled off, there’s obviously a high level of concern.

“Going forward, we were getting updates, you feel sick for him and his situation, there’s a huge level of concern that starts to rise. It’s not just a team-mate, it’s a mate. You’ve been through challenges together and seen how hard he works for you.”

Team-mates describe Fatialofa as laid-back to the point of being horizontal. He is the man who lightens the mood, an antidote to the intensity of professional rugby. “He’s a real funny bloke, then when it comes to games he’s an absolute animal,” Isaac Miller, the prop, said.
Born in Auckland, Fatialofa was a late bloomer, eventually earning a Super Rugby contract with the Hurricanes in 2016. He started in the club’s Super Rugby final victory against the Lions that season. While on the radar of the New Zealand selectors, it was obvious that he would earn no more than a handful of All Blacks caps at best.

Together with his partner, Tatiana, he took the decision to join Worcester in 2018, which ended his New Zealand ambitions but tripled his wages. He married Tatiana just before the start of the season.

‘There’s a huge level of concern that starts to rise. He is a mate’

Only a handful of Worcester players have been allowed to visit him in hospital. The rest of the squad have received updates from Tait.

Psychologists are on hand, but the main support network is among themselves. “There’s 50-odd blokes, we’d gladly sit down with another mate and be there for one another,” Kitto said. “It’s devastating, something you never expect to happen so close to home. We’re just thinking about him and his family, sending our prayers his way.”

Fatialofa was not the only casualty from the Saracens game. Flanker Sam Lewis has a suspected orbital fracture near his cheekbone, prop Conor Carey has torn his Achilles tendon, while Ryan Mills has severely bruised his foot. All those setbacks are relative to Fatialofa’s condition.

Meanwhile, the rugby world continues to turn. On Saturday, Worcester face Russian side Yenisey-STM Krasnoyarsk in the Challenge Cup in what is sure to be a muted atmosphere.
“We have to channel it into something that’s positive for the group as well as for Michael, show that he matters to us and we’re thinking about him, representing the club he was representing last week, putting his body on the line, which sadly has resulted in what he’s dealing with right now,” Kitto said. “But he wouldn’t want it any other way in terms of how we approach this week.”

https://digitaledition.telegraph.co.uk/sites/default/files/styles/1536/public/in-article-gallery/20/01/07/Michael_Fatialofa_1.2_copy.png

Michael Fatialofa - The Player

Get well soon Michael we are all praying for you.

JP

Faithful_City 09 January, 2020 11:50

Faithful_City 09 January, 2020 14:44
Latest Update 9th January 2019

Quote:
WN
MICHAEL Fatialofa's wife reported "improved airflow through chest" and "strengthening movement in one leg" as the Warriors ace continues to recover in hospital.

It was a good day all round with Tatiana Fatialofa granted increased access to her husband's bedside after some "serious deliberation" yesterday (Wednesday).

In a post on Instagram, Tatiana revealed she had drawn comfort from having "a positive, balanced, healthy-minded husband who has been dreaming up so many beautiful plans for our future."

She declared the progress as "one step closer to 24 hours (a day accessibility), although that would be provided by a private centre so that's our next prayer because Michael needs to make progression in order to be able to move into such facilities".

It was followed by news of a "tough morning" today (Thursday) with a call to "pray for encouragement".

Fatialofa received spinal injuries while playing for Warriors at Saracens on Saturday.

slowly but surely

JP

Powick Eastander 09 January, 2020 16:00

Faithful_City 09 January, 2020 16:18
Fantastic, well done the Supporters club

Thanks Lindsay for posting up the link.

JP

shrewsburyman 09 January, 2020 16:21
Thanks PE a card from the supporters is exactly what is required.

ramseysaint 10 January, 2020 11:53
Horrible thing to happen, I a disabled Saints supporter with spinal problems so I can feel for Michael, I hope to God he gets better and gets the support he needs from our medical professionals. It's great (as expected) to see so much support from the whole rugby community.

ukms 10 January, 2020 14:40
@faithful_city
Just to also mention here .... thanks for posting the messages And links in the thread on the Wasps board ... much appreciated.

This really puts many things that we all gripe about into perspective !

AJWarriors 10 January, 2020 17:13
Social Media update from Tatiana

She mentioned

More power in his thighs
Left toe wiggle
Improved breathing

and the doctor said his post surgery recovery is advanced as 2 months in comparison to others

Looks like he’s improving and responding well to his treatment but it seems like there’s a long road ahead

Faithful_City 10 January, 2020 17:22
Really good news though

AJWarriors 10 January, 2020 17:45
Yes it is. Hopefully he can keep making rapid progress

Stopsy 11 January, 2020 09:30
Good progress, let’s pray it continues. The toe wiggle is telling as it means the nerve pathway is clear at least that pathway

Faithful_City 13 January, 2020 23:06
Latest update from Tatiana

Quote:

MICHAEL Fatialofa's wife Tatiana has offered a positive update on the condition of the Worcester Warriors second row.

In a post on Instagram today, she reveals that lock Fatialofa is making progress in certain aspects of his recovery.

"New movement! Michael is beginning to make some progress, particularly in his right side," she wrote.

Whilst there is positive signs, his wife states in her Instagram story that she is still "praying for unassisted breathing".

"Unassisted breathing ­— this is KEY to being released from intensive care," she added.

New Zealander Fatialofa, 27, has been in an intensive care unit in London since suffering a spinal injury in a collision during the Saracens defeat nine days ago.

At the weekend Warriors players wore warm-up tops with the name "FATS" on the back ahead of their big win over Enisei-STM in the European Challenge Cup.

Stopsy 14 January, 2020 08:58
Thanks for the update Faithful City

Faithful_City 14 January, 2020 17:22
Special Email setup for Michael is really working well

Quote:
“More than 760 messages of support for injured Warriors lock Michael Fatialofa have been sent in just five days to the special email address that has been set up by the club,” Worcester said on their official website.

“The messages include one from Brad Barritt, the captain of Saracens who were Warriors’ opponents when Michael suffered a neck injury in the Gallagher Premiership match at Allianz Park.

Full Article HERE

JP

Faithful_City 17 January, 2020 09:00
Keep Michael in your thoughts with strong positive thoughts, as Cornell says below it is a long road and our support is important to Michael

Quote:

Best wishes have flooded in from across the globe since the injury but du Preez wants to ensure that backing remains in place during what is bound to be a lengthy recovery.

"I would just say people need to stay supportive, make sure there are opportunities to help and don't let this thing go on for a week or two or three and then slow down," he added.

"This is a very tough situation for him and his family. If we can show our support, no matter how long it takes, that will be a very good thing."

Cornell du Preez talks lifts the lid on hospital visits to "Fats"

JP

Stopsy 17 January, 2020 09:10
Thanks again for the update Faithful City

Oneyedwasp 17 January, 2020 16:47
Echo the the thanks for the updates, have e mailed a couple of times, will continue to do so.

Faithful_City 18 January, 2020 09:52
latest news on Michael and its good

Quote:
Injured New Zealand rugby star Michael Fatialofa could be out of intensive care next week as his feeling and movement is being restored, his wife says.

The former Hurricanes lock has been in a serious but stable condition in the intensive care unit of St Mary's Hospital in Paddington, London following surgery after a frightening neck injury suffered while playing for Worcester against Saracens in the English Premiership on January 4.

However, his Worcester Warriors side posted on Twitter that Fatialofa's wife Tatiana wrote that Michael was exceeding medical expectations with his recent recovery.

"Been a week full of radical miracles!" she wrote.

We keep Fats in our thoughts every day 💙💛

"Feeling, movement and better breathing all being restored. Michael is surpassing every medical expectation and with ongoing prayer, positivity and progress we could be out of ICU next week!

"Keep the faith hot team - we're winning! Feeling so blessed. God is always good even when life is not. Don't lose focus. Let's get my baby to specialised care."

JP

centrethere 18 January, 2020 15:57
That is some very good news

Stopsy 18 January, 2020 17:32
Very welcome news, thanks

Offa 18 January, 2020 23:23
Great to hear progress. Hope to hear more soon.

Faithful_City 21 January, 2020 11:27
Let's keep Michael and Tatiana in our thoughts and prayers as they battle through this awful time in their lives

What is it like being the partner of a professional rugby player in this modern world, read what Tatiana feels the ups and the downs.

Quote:
Tatiana Fatialofa

Michael Fatialofa's wife Tatiana says a rugby relationship "is a far cry from the glamourous image you're made to believe".

Tatiana has continued her brave and emotional social media posts as her husband lies in intensive care in a London hospital, making progress from a frightening neck injury playing in the English Premiership two weeks ago.

The injury has rocked their life and the absence of normality hit home again for Tatiana over the weekend as Worcester played without their former Hurricanes lock.

Tatiana used the situation to provide an enlightening look at how being involved with a professional athlete plays out.

"It's Friday night which would otherwise be pre-game night. Michael has always been meticulous and disciplined, routinely following his own set of rituals that I quickly implemented too," she began on her Instagram account with a photograph of them together following a Hurricanes match.

"If you've dated a professional athlete longer than a season you'll understand just how much your world merges with theirs. Your entire relationship, lifestyle and schedule revolves around their demanding job, and it's a far cry from the glamorous image you're made to believe."

"Dating a rugby player is not something I ever envisioned for my life, granted we've been together since high school so we grew into this wild way of living together, not realising the great cost it'd rake up to be.

"As much as I would've liked for him to lead a more simple and safe career — I would never ask him to surrender his God-given talents.

"This game has provided him purpose, lifelong friendships, a profound sense of belonging, appreciation for health, and a huge amount of happiness as he's been able to develop and display his craft.

"But all of this has came through immense sacrifice and risk — for us both, plus his family too.

"As his other-half, it'd take me a whole damn book to unravel the tangled reality of what it's really like being on the sideline of the man I love, but I've learnt to balance any grievances I had with the truth of who I know @michaelfats to be off the field as a person, which is 100 times the player he was on the field.

"My husband is a stellar gentleman and I'll miss being the first person he looks for in the crowd after a match. I feel so special knowing he never once forgot to give me a kiss after the final whistle blew."

Tatiana has shown incredible strength throughout this ordeal and gone out of her way to keep friends and fans updated, believing there was power in collective prayer and support.

Late last week Tatiana spoke of hope that her husband could be out of intensive care at St Mary's Hospital in Paddington after a "week full of radical miracles".

"Feeling, movement and better breathing all being restored. Michael is surpassing every medical expectation and with ongoing prayer, positivity and progress we could be out of ICU next week!

https://i2-prod.walesonline.co.uk/incoming/article17521909.ece/ALTERNATES/s810/0_fatialofaJPG.jpg

"Keep the faith hot team - we're winning!"

The Worcester Warriors club set up an email address – fats@warriors.co.uk – to enable well-wishers to send messages to Fatialofa and Tatiana.

Michael and Tatiana are part of our bigger family at Worcester Warriors.
Let us all wish them the best of luck.

JP

Stopsy 21 January, 2020 19:10
And they have love and support from the wider rugby family.

Faithful_City 22 January, 2020 15:33
Another step forward, slowly but surely

Quote:
Worcester News

MICHAEL Fatialofa’s recovery appeared to take another step forward yesterday (Tuesday) when he tried eating for the first time in more than two weeks.

The Warriors ace has been in hospital since January 4 having sustained spinal damage during a 62-5 defeat at Saracens.

The club reported Fatialofa had successful surgery to alleviate "bruising and swelling on his spinal cord" which left him with "reduced power and sensation in his arms and legs".

He has since been recovering in intensive care (ICU) in London with wife Tatiana Fatialofa posting updates via Instagram.

She reported that Fatialofa “could be out of ICU” this week and has in the past hour suggested he could be moved today.

Late last night Tatiana posted: “Praise God that he is at least able to try (pureed) food for the first time in 2.5 weeks! Feeding tube [is] still in but we count every bit of progress.”

Asked about Fatialofa's progress at Tuesday's press conference, Worcester's director of rugby Alan Solomons said: "The feedback I have had is positive.

"He has a bit more movement which is really positive, I am positive about it and hopeful he will make a full recovery."

Fans and wellwishers can pass on messages of encouragement to Fatialofa and his family through a dedicated email address set up by the club: fats@warriors.co.uk

JP

Faithful_City 23 January, 2020 10:08
https://www.sixwaysrugby.co.uk/Sportsnetwork/Images/Players/Fats/Fats01.jpg

Fats with Bryce Heem and Joe Taufete'e

Great to see Fats Improving

JP

Stopsy 23 January, 2020 11:56
Good news, keep going Michael!

Malvern Man 23 January, 2020 12:23
Very good of Bryce Heem to come over from Toulon to see him.

Faithful_City 23 January, 2020 16:56
Some more good news, fats maybe on his way to a specialist spinal Injuries Unit

Quote:
Wotcester News

Wife Tatiana Fatialofa has been providing updates via Instagram, reporting welcome news of steadily increasing movement and the ability to try to eat food over the past week.

Fatialofa is now in the major trauma department with hopes high he could soon transfer to a specialist spinal unit.

Taufete’e posted on Instagram: "With each day I can see the fight in you to get right and always pushing to put smiles on visitors as they come!

https://www.sixwaysrugby.co.uk/Sportsnetwork/Images/Players/Fats/Fats02.jpg

“You(‘re) killing the grind and recovery! You(‘re) a real inspiration to me! People don’t realise how blessed we are to be able to do the day-to-day things without even thinking about it. I’m guilty of that.

“With how strong you been through this and unconditional love you got from the family and friends, especially T (Tatiana), I know you’ll come out stronger! Fuaaaar! You guys are family to us!”

Tatiana posted: “The critical part is over, 19 long, love-filled days in intensive care (despite the doctors’ initial adamancy that my husband would stay there for at least one month) and now we’re waiting in major trauma before hopefully getting into a specialised spinal hospital ASAP.

“It’s crazy how as humans we instinctively kick into survival mode when faced with crisis.

“Adrenalin starts surging and you quickly park emotions in order to focus on necessary tasks.

“Eating and sleeping patterns go right out the window, while fogginess and fatigue rush in rudely.

“Our entire world has turned on its head, and we are facing decisions that will impact us for years to come.

“Things are changing constantly in every facet of our lives: medically, financially, spiritually, physically, relationally, etc, and it’s all incredibly overwhelming.

“However, the power of love is simply without rival — it is the strongest force in the universe and far bigger than any situation.

“I cannot begin to describe how tangibly we have felt God’s love cascade over us each day, and it is slowly but evidently healing everything from the inside out.

“The outpouring of blessings from people near and far has catalysed his health and kept our family steady as we navigate many a rocky moment.

“Our foundations have been exposed and I can confidently say we stand on solid, holy ground.

“We anticipate a difficult grind ahead, which will require ongoing prayer and patience. But for now, we celebrate step one being conquered.”

https://www.sixwaysrugby.co.uk/Sportsnetwork/Images/Players/Fats/Fats03.jpg

"The Joker", in better times

Keep fighting Fats we are all behind you.

JP

trummy200 23 January, 2020 18:13
Great to learn that good progress is still being made

Stopsy 24 January, 2020 09:26
Onwards, onwards Michael!

Bedlington Lad 24 January, 2020 10:22
Very very best wishes for a full recovery

Fiver 25 January, 2020 13:05
What I love to see is that Fats is smiling. It would be easy to sink into self pity, but his recovery seems to be ahead of schedule and I can't help but think that a lot of that is down to attitude and the love of those around him.

Whilst recovering from a broken bone I remember listening to the outcome of a study into healing and recovery. Physical contact (mainly hugs) with loved ones was found to have a very pronounced affect on the healing times of patients. I can't help but feel it helped me as the consultant was extremely happy and surprised with how I quickly recovered. From what I read Fats' recovery is a real team effort and I'm sure it's having a positive effect.

Keep it up guys, all of our thoughts are with you.

Faithful_City 03 February, 2020 16:45
Some really good news as Fats continues to improve

Quote:

WARRIORS ace Michael Fatialofa has been released from hospital and will now continue his recovery in a spinal rehab clinic, his Instagram account today confirmed.

The 27-year-old New Zealander has spent the last month in hospital in London following the injury he sustained back at the start of the year in the game against Saracens.

Fatialofa's wife Tatiana has been updating fans via social media since the injury and today posted on Fatialofa's own account confirming he had left hospital.

The post read: "After a month in hospital, finally solid enough to move to the spinal rehab clinic.

"Doctors, nurses and physios have been amazing and I'm overwhelmed by the love and support from family and friends.

"Thanks for riding with me. The marathon continues. #ProfessorX".

JP

centrethere 03 February, 2020 22:21
Michael,
Keep it up - positive thoughts are the best in life.

Stopsy 04 February, 2020 10:01
Excellent news, keep going!

BBC Version

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2020 15:05 by Stopsy.

Faithful_City 12 February, 2020 22:42
This is FANTASTIC news

Well do to Team Fats and the dedicated medics getting him there.

Fats making huge strides

Stopsy 13 February, 2020 09:36
Brilliant news, thank you for sharing. Keep going Michael!

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net