Bristol now chasing Matt Kevesic
Discussion started by Faithful_City , 28 January, 2020 13:30
Bristol now chasing Matt Kevesic
Faithful_City 28 January, 2020 13:30
I wonder if we are?

Quote:
The Rugby Paper

https://cdn.therugbypaper.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/01/matt-kvesic.jpg

Bristol Bears arenít done yet in their blockbuster list of new signings commitment to Ashton Gate for next season, with Exeter Chiefs back row Matt Kvesic on their radar.

The Premiership club announced on Monday they had completed a deal for Harlequins and England prop Kyle Sinckler, as reported in The Rugby Paper last September.

They could now switch their attentions to Exeter Chiefsí former England flanker Matt Kvesic who is out of contract at Sandy Park at the end of the season.

German-born Kvesic could be too pricy for the Chiefs to keep at the club and Bristol have been sniffing about while Glasgow are also in the market for an openside.

Kvesic, who started his career with Worcester Warriors and has four England caps to his name, moved to Devon three years ago after a stint with Gloucester.

Exeter have already agreed to a deal that will see them land England U20 back row Aaron Hinkley from Gloucester when his contract runs out at the end of the season.

The highly-rated flanker was wanted by several Premiership clubs but has opted to make the short move to Devon next season.

A player who wonít be leaving the Chiefs next season is Zimbabwe-born back row Dave Ewers who has agreed a new deal.

The former England Saxons international has been with the Chiefs for ten years, and his new contract is likely to be announced by the club in the near future.

Interesting or not?

JP

Re: Bristol now chasing Matt Kevesic
AJWarriors 28 January, 2020 14:49
To be honest JP I canít see it, but I can see this being one of the worst recruitment windows we have had. With some of current re signings Iím worried going into next season that we havenít improved the squad in the slightest. Itís pretty much exactly the same, with less quality than we had last season.

Itís great we are keeping the majority of the team together for continuity, but this team hasnít really collectively moved forward since the last few years. Theyíve been together now for a year and a half to two years and not much has changed in how we play (no identity) our league position or the quality of personnel. A few players are going backwards due to age or ability.

Teams like Bristol are constantly on a cycle but improve their squad each year with three or four quality players that will push them forward. Thereís been a real feel good factor with us this year, but I hope the club arenít resting on their laurels in not bringing in quality. Again I know we havenít really signed anyone apart from Searle but I consider him a like for like in terms of current ability with Jono so without sounding disrespectful I donít think we have actually improved there as of yet.

Iím just a bit underwhelmed with it all at the moment. Still early days but I donít feel any excitement with things on the field at all. Iím excited about the things happening within the club like the facilities, but in hindsight I couldnít really give a sh*t about that. I just want to see a winning team with a bit of ambition pushing for honours, not sat around mid table or the bottom half every decade

People might say if we get players in then theyíll block certain players..I completely agree, but some are at an age where they should be starting especially at 22/23. Players like Isiekwe is 22 years old and a certain starter at Sarries. I donít know..I just donít really feel any enthusiasm to improve matters on the pitch from the club at the minute

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 28/01/2020 14:52 by AJWarriors.

Drahm for England 28 January, 2020 15:49
Perhaps finances are an issue. The new owners may not be able to fund spending up to the salary cap?

AJWarriors 28 January, 2020 15:59
Possibly. Doesnít bode well for all these ambitions they have for us being a top 6 club though. Every other team will be looking to improve due to the strength of the Premiership

Faithful_City 28 January, 2020 16:03
They are not money rich so doubt we will ever have money to recruit big named players.

They are entrepreneurs who want to make money.

We have been given £13.6million of which a few £100k has been spent on screens, lighting and supporterís plaza?

JP

AJWarriors 28 January, 2020 16:05
Whatís happened to the rest of that money JP?

Garym 28 January, 2020 16:08
Quote:
AJWarriors
Whatís happened to the rest of that money JP?

I thought it was meant to go on facilities not players

AJWarriors 28 January, 2020 16:13
No idea? I thought Prem Rugby wanted it to go on facilities but some teams like Irish used it on players? I might be wrong with that

AJWarriors 28 January, 2020 16:13
No idea? I thought Prem Rugby wanted it to go on facilities but some teams like Irish used it on players? I might be wrong with that

Faithful_City 28 January, 2020 17:33
That is the £million question.

I wonder how much it cost to buy the other "entrepreneur " out of his share of the club?

I don't see £millions of improvements around the place and I don't see £millions of playing improvements either. Maybe it will be used to offset the clubs losses because I doubt our new owners can afford to.

JP

ROLLO 28 January, 2020 18:51
I like AJW am a little perplexed.
Many of our 21/22 year olds should now be really pressing for a first 23 squad place as they are at our rivals. If we are to compete next season we will need to recruit some class at lock, loosehead , tighhead and also dare I say it at scrum half.
If you look at Sollys signings for this season they have not been great , Moulton and Kitcherer Snr apart. He has to do better.

Faithful_City 28 January, 2020 18:59
Maybe Thomas can help with that?

JP

centrethere 28 January, 2020 20:47
Weíve got until August to keep things ticking along

shrewsburyman 29 January, 2020 09:00
I agree Rollo regarding positions that we need to strengthen and a great deal depends on the new coaching team.

kiddykid 29 January, 2020 20:28
Sinckler will not come cheap - nor Kvesic if he moves. Looking at who they already have I wonder if Brizzle - and Sale - are looking to be the next salary cap,busters. Are we playing Ďgood boysí within the cap?

Garym 29 January, 2020 22:11
Also worth pointing out that Bristol announced the return of Mitch Eddie who can cover the back row. If MK was to go there he could well end up just being a bench player

Fiver 30 January, 2020 09:33
I thought MK is getting plenty of game time right now. Why would you leave the club most likely to win the league if you're getting game time? The only reason I could think of is wage inflation amongst the younger players coming up (Simmonds brothers maybe?) so some players need to move on.

w4rriorz1980 30 January, 2020 18:52
Kvesic is a much better player than Eadie.

Eats,Shoots And Leaves

ROLLO 30 January, 2020 19:13
But also more expensive.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net