Latest news:

England 23 to face France on Sunday
Discussion started by Faithful_City , 31 January, 2020 11:02
England 23 to face France on Sunday
Faithful_City 31 January, 2020 11:02
https://d2cx26qpfwuhvu.cloudfront.net/sixnations/wp-content/uploads/2020/01/31104609/EnglandAnthem19SB2000.jpg
England starting XV to face France

15 George Furbank (Northampton Saints, uncapped)
14 Jonny May (Leicester Tigers, 52 caps)
13 Manu Tuilagi (Leicester Tigers, 40 caps)
12 Owen Farrell (Saracens, 79 caps) C
11 Elliot Daly (Saracens, 39 caps)
10 George Ford (Leicester Tigers, 65 caps)
9 Ben Youngs (Leicester Tigers, 95 caps)
1 Joe Marler (Harlequins, 68 caps)
2 Jamie George (Saracens, 45 caps)
3 Kyle Sinckler (Harlequins, 31 caps)
4 Maro Itoje (Saracens, 34 caps)
5 Charlie Ewels (Bath Rugby, 12 caps)
6 Courtney Lawes (Northampton Saints, 81 caps)
7 Sam Underhill (Bath Rugby, 15 caps)
8 Tom Curry (Sale Sharks, 19 caps)

Replacements
16 Luke Cowan-Dickie (Exeter Chiefs, 21 caps)
17 Ellis Genge (Leicester Tigers, 14 caps)
18 Will Stuart (Bath Rugby, uncapped)
19 George Kruis (Saracens, 41 caps)
20 Lewis Ludlam (Northampton Saints, 6 caps)
21 Willi Heinz (Gloucester Rugby, 9 caps)
22 Ollie Devoto (Exeter Chiefs, 1 cap)
23 Jonathan Joseph (Bath Rugby, 47 caps)

Well here we go folks 6 Nations all over again best competition in world rugby

JP

Re: England 23 to face France on Sunday
Fiver 31 January, 2020 17:09
The world cup is over, so why do we have two old boys at scrum half? Also, is Elliott Daly the best left wing in the country? Just because he's a good player, I'd rather we played the best player for a position. Daly is an excellent 13, however so are Tuilagi and Joseph. If you had three excellent tight heads you wouldn't play one of them out of position on the basis that they're too good to be left out.

manrow 31 January, 2020 19:36
I'm just glad that Daly has been relieved of his fullback duties!

w4rriorz1980 31 January, 2020 23:58
Furbank?? Really? Daly on the wing?

Eats,Shoots And Leaves

NW2 01 February, 2020 10:48
Quote:
manrow
I'm just glad that Daly has been relieved of his fullback duties!
Couldn't agree more, not the best when he was being picked there! And also agree not the best winger either. Maybe it's felt he is needed for his long range kicks?

Faithful_City 01 February, 2020 11:52
Some of this selection has to be down to injuries and what has been seen in training

Really worried at our lack of young halfbacks

JP

Drahm for England 02 February, 2020 15:58
A dreadful first half. Farrell looks like his concentration is on his Sarries contract, not the ball!

centrethere 02 February, 2020 18:31
a number of passes from both our scrum halves and Ford were slow speed of ball with the ball tumbling end over end, indicating the pressure they felt, and the reason why more than one ball was dropped outside them.

- Highlight - Dylan Hartley in studio talked most sense (and Paul O'Connell as usual).
- Lowlight - May waving his arms around and demanding a knock-on, and not playing on - got caught out by a school boy error, of not playing to the whistle
- Other highlight - Shaun Edwards face and his team's defence

Faithful_City 02 February, 2020 18:39
Well that was pretty poor apart from May and the replacement front row

Farrell at 10 is better than mini George, Youngs and Heinz need replacing.

England need new blood at halfback big time, but who is there?

JP

centrethere 02 February, 2020 18:43

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2020 20:02 by centrethere.

Drahm for England 02 February, 2020 18:51
I thought Heinz looked better than Youngs to be honest but I'd still prefer to see Ben Spencer out there. I was having this conversation in the week, there seems to be a real dearth of decent English 9s out there. Dan Robson & Spencer look to be next cabs off the ranks but it is a big worry, especially when you look at the quality that Wales have at 9.

Faithful_City 02 February, 2020 19:38
For some unknown reason English world class halfbacks are a rare beast, I wonder why?

How many of the Prem halfbacks are an EQP and how many are good enough. When you look at the U20 competition there is not much there either. Plus two coming through our academy one is Welsh and due to leave the other is from S. A.

JP

Underdog 02 February, 2020 22:12
It's hard to know if it's an endemic coaching problem, as that was the conclusion everyone reached a few seasons ago on our dearth of resources at 7, only for Underhill and the Curry boys to turn up. The same might happen with 9.

But looking around the premiership, the two best 9s in the league are both South African, the third best is a NZ pro who came off the bench for England today, and those eligible are hardly demanding selection. This is where England's club structure fails the national team. If the RFU had any stake in the clubs, it could mandate that every 23 must include an English scrum half until one played themselves into form worthy of an international call up.

As it is, I'd just play Wigglesworth as he's the most experienced and keep inviting youngsters into the camp to get as many up to speed as possible.

NW2 03 February, 2020 07:27
Definitely thought Heinz was an improvement on Youngs, although still not to the level needed. Having said that, not many were yesterday! Tough outing for Furbank but I blame Eddie for picking him, there must have been better options. Was a tough break losing Manu, but for me Farrell should be at 10, with two out and out centres.
First half was surely one of the poorest 40 minutes seen from an England team.

Malvern Man 03 February, 2020 09:56
Give credit to France, who were excellent. They've always had the players. Now they're picking them and getting organised. They also have that wonderful scrum half. He can be taught to tell the time.

I wonder what odds you can get on France winning the 2023 World Cup?

NW2 03 February, 2020 13:15
Quote:
Malvern Man
Give credit to France, who were excellent. They've always had the players. Now they're picking them and getting organised. They also have that wonderful scrum half. He can be taught to tell the time.
I wonder what odds you can get on France winning the 2023 World Cup?

Absolutely Malvern Man, wasn't trying to take anything away from the French performance which was unexpectedly (?) good. I just thought the first half from England was terrible, and when it started to go wrong, they looked totally clueless.

Diverdave 03 February, 2020 14:27
You can definitely see Edwards defensive coaching already, 2 up tackles and quick off the defensive line plus having a fresh looking French team with lots of young talent, I think if they can stay level headed when it gets tougher, Wales and possibly Ireland then they could be contenders this year, I also think Scotland look dangerous as well, I fear if England donít make some changes, such as using a dedicated 8 line dombrandt they are going to be in trouble.

NW2 03 February, 2020 18:32
Not starting with an experienced 8 really came back and bit us. Dombrandt or Hughes, I'm not bothered which, but we need one or the other.

Malvern Man 03 February, 2020 21:02
Dombrandt is I'm sure very good, but I think he may be slightly over-rated by the London based rugby media who dote on Harlequins players. They've never tried talking Ted Hill into the England team.

centrethere 03 February, 2020 22:16
So individual player in position, team play , and plan B, - reckon we add coaching to that aka Eddie. Heís got some work to do imho. And for the interim put Farrell at 10 and Ford on the bench

First40 04 February, 2020 07:34
Simmonds at 9, Simmonds at 8.

Fiver 04 February, 2020 09:50
I worry that half backs in England are being over-coached into playing by numbers. The podcast with Omar backed this up in my view.

We need half backs who can read the game. I watch Ben Youngs keep on letting the England forwards pick and go when both left and right had massive overlaps. We ended up losing the ball. Had Youngs looked up and read the game it would have been an easy score. I've no doubt Eddie told him what to do and he blindly did it.

That then leads me to ask if FH was a better player before Warriors started playing by numbers. Perhaps he hasn't lost his mojo, just playing as he's been told to play.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net