Latest news:

Is Eddie losing it ?
Discussion started by Old Col , 05 February, 2020 22:21
Is Eddie losing it ?
Old Col 05 February, 2020 22:21
Absurd and stupid wind up media comments about playing Scotland .What does he think he is doing? Incentivising the England team ? Anyone paying attention to him would think it is about a spiteful brawl instead of a great sporting occasion . It didn't work against France who played some joyful and sparkling rugby against our dour and miserable game plan .Farrell as captain ?ditch him -replace him with someone who projects sportsmanship and flair to lead.

Re: Is Eddie losing it ?
NW2 05 February, 2020 22:57
Much as I dislike the media in general, I agree Eddie seems to have no clue how to handle them, nor how to portray the team in a positive light without making it confrontational, which generally spurs on the opposition. The France game should have been a wake up call but he seems to prefer to plough on regardless, both in his selections and his comments.

Villages12 06 February, 2020 18:56
My question would be ďDid he ever have it ?

Anyone who uses the word ďferocityĒ when talking how the team is expected to play is, in my book, encouraging dangerous play to take place.

Then he doesnít pick a true 8 and expects someone to fill the gap ?

This guy was lucky that he took on a good squad when he arrived, now he seems to have no idea how to build for the future. He demonstrates this by playing players out of position pretty much every game and uses players who have retired. How do we develop youngsters ?

I never thought I would ever say this but, the French youngsters played us off the park last weekend. We looked lost, miserable and lacked any flair at all.

We should not need to employ a Southern Hemisphere Leader, however so many clubs are using foreign managers there are very few locals in line to hold their hand up.

I donít like the look of the next few years at all.

centrethere 06 February, 2020 21:41
Yes not got the bottle to find another scrum half or drop ford

TVM Rides Again 07 February, 2020 07:00
Ooooh look

A panic button

*presses*

It was England doing what England rugby teams (bar 2003) and England sports teams have done since time
Began

Believing their own hype on the run in, disappearingbio their own fundament and incapable of shifting up a gear when they are caught out of their own accord

This is displayed by the fact that they got going in the second half, when the French were out of sight

Jones talks a lot of trash sure, but I think the idea is that it means no one is looking at his squad as everyone looks at him. This gives them breathing space

As for spurring the opposition on, if they need and have the spare capacity to use that extra motivation they should retire as professional athletes and get a normal job. So I think thatís a non issue.

NW2 07 February, 2020 10:36
Quote:
TVM Rides Again
As for spurring the opposition on, if they need and have the spare capacity to use that extra motivation they should retire as professional athletes and get a normal job. So I think thatís a non issue.

I don't for a minute think teams "need" it, but I definitely think some use it as extra motivation. They may be professional athletes, but they are also human. Most of us at some time have been hacked off with someone and thought " right, I'll show them!" I don't think rugby players are any different, and Eddie certainly gives them enough ammunition.

WarwickEastie 07 February, 2020 13:51
I don't like EJ's trash talk either - but it's a bit premature writing him off.

He took over an underperforming side under Lancaster and turned them into a very good side with essentially the same players.
Only 3 months ago he took us to a World Cup final.
We can all be critical and have alternate viewpoints (and I don't agree with everything he does) - but we should give some credit where its due...

Faithful_City 07 February, 2020 14:19
My only concern is his reliance on the existing halfbacks who are not performing.

I also do not feel that Furbank is a future International.

JP

Diverdave 07 February, 2020 15:03
Iím still perplexed as to why he hasnít chosen an out and out 8 instead of a player whoís own coach says heís not an 8 and wouldnít play him there for club.

Villages12 07 February, 2020 16:35
Just in case anyone is interested , I predicted that Jones was not the right man when it was first debated on this site. I have not changed my mind. Stewart Lancaster put the last squad together but he wasn't given time for them to gel. Jones took them forward and got some success, but even that team had to have some older experienced players to got to where they did and simply lost their way.

However, some of them were too old for the future and he needs to find the right blend. Instead he plays people out of position, refuses to use a No 8 of any renown and puts people like Furbank out of his depth (probably to be dropped from sight if he fails). Scrum half becomes a problem so he puts in a 32 year old. What happened to Marcus Smith who was in his training squad last year and is playing well now ?

No one picked up on the point about playing with FEROCITY but I believe this word has no place in rugby. It encourages people to play with no thought for others on the field and, in my opinion, we are already seeing far too many big lads who do play ferociously and with little thought for who they injure. Controlled aggression is one thing, ferocious behaviour is very dangerous.

Saturday's team for Scotland suffers most of the same problems just different players.

tigerburnie 07 February, 2020 17:42
Fair to say any of us could do Skippys job, doubt he could do mine...ÖÖÖÖ(what do I do you say?) I'm retired.

Whispering_Death 07 February, 2020 17:47
So a guy who took us from no hopers to the final of the next WC wasnít the right man for the job. Talk about unreasonable expectations. We played well in the WC including the best England performance I have ever seen, perhaps even the best rugby performance Iíve seen from any team. Two bad games and heís not the right man and should be gone. He been trash talking all his career, but now we are loosing we donít like it. Crazy.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net