Latest news:

Nigel Owens: A Great Referee
Discussion started by Faithful_City , 08 February, 2020 12:01
Nigel Owens: A Great Referee
Faithful_City 08 February, 2020 12:01
Rugby is a great game, can you see football or cricket clubs doing this

Quote:

In fact, I will let you into another little secret. Farrell, as captain, presented me with an England jersey which read simply: 'France v England, Six Nations, Le Crunch, Nigel Owens 98th Test.'

That figure, of course, was a reference to the fact it was my 98th Test match in total and, as I say, could prove to be my last one in the Six Nations. Or even my last one full stop. The powers-that-be will have the final say on that.

On the back of the jersey it just had a big '98.' It was such a touching gesture from Farrell and his team.

I know some people out there seem to think England are arrogant, I know Welsh fans love to hate them - although, it must be stressed, that's very much in terms of traditional rugby rivalry only.

But I've obviously got to know the England squad and management over the years and I can tell you they are amongst the most down to earth, decent people you could wish to meet. I have a huge amount of respect for them, as I do for every team and the players I have officiated. Indeed, very few would not be on my Christmas card list.

There was no need for Farrell's gesture, but it showed him to be the likeable individual that he is.

I guess that jersey will be framed and hung up in my local rugby club, Pontyberem RFC... although I will doubtless get some stick for it! Eventually it will go to one of the charities I'm associated with.

Rugby is a game that provokes emotions and passions, but even in defeat England behaved with incredible dignity towards me. That's what makes our sport so special and why a handful of abusers on social media won't spoil it for the rest of us.

Full Article HERE

JP

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/02/2020 12:03 by Faithful_City.

Re: Nigel Owens: A Great Referee
NW2 08 February, 2020 12:12
The legend that is .... Nigel Owens.
When he does eventually retire, he will be sorely missed.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net