Latest news:

Quiet recruitment period & Kolpek
Discussion started by Bevere Warrior , 12 February, 2020 22:42
Quiet recruitment period & Kolpek
Bevere Warrior 12 February, 2020 22:42
Anyone else finding the current recruitment period really boring?
This time last year we had already announced three players, with a fourth (Nanai) being released days after.
This time around(Other than the Spencer rumour) we havenít had a sniff of potential signings, other than the initial excitement of Searle.
There doesnít appear to be much movement with any of the clubs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 15/02/2020 08:30 by Faithful_City.

Re: Quiet recruitment period
AJWarriors 12 February, 2020 23:47
Absolutely killing me. I love this time of year as Iím usually pretty clued up on the goings on of teams..I didnít enjoy it so much when we used to lose our best guys but this year I was excited coming into this period knowing we had to just build on what we have already. To then find the biggest lull in announcements for any club in recent memory is driving me nuts. Iíd say it has to be down to the Sarries saga and clubs are probably seeing or waiting to see what goes on with their players

Faithful_City 13 February, 2020 07:56
Very good point AJ it is likely to have a ripple down effect as well.

JP

Drahm for England 13 February, 2020 08:49
Might also be to do with the RFU championship announcement too. I would assume the Prem clubs knew this 50% reduction was coming so a number of championship clubs now won't be able to afford to keep some of the players. This will lead to Prem clubs trying to identify some 'rough diamonds' that they might be able to get on the cheap to fill up the squad.

Faithful_City 13 February, 2020 09:55
I feel there is still more to come out of this decision like

Ringfencing

Who runs 2nd Tier

CVC British and Irish Rugby Conferences?

Going to be an interesting year.

JP

AJWarriors 13 February, 2020 10:03
I think tithe championship situation is going to lead to ring fencing too.

Drahm good shout on the Championship situation too.

centrethere 14 February, 2020 23:44
stolen off latecomer's post on vft22

[www.dailymail.co.uk]

Faithful_City 15 February, 2020 08:03
I don't get the sam numbers in my list,

Foreign Players - Only 2 allowed in match day 23
Melani Nanai
Calum Black
Jono Lance
Michael Fatialofa
Joe Taufete'e

UK Nationals - Not EQP all can play at the same time
Duncan Weir
Cornell du Preez
Niall Annett
Caleb Montgomery
Conor Carey

Kolpak Players - All can play at the same time
Francois Hougaard
Anton Bresler - Might have residency qualification
Ed Fidow
Scott van Breda - might have residency qualification
Francois Venter
Matt Moulds
Jono Kitto
Farai Mudariki

None of the above count towards the average EQP target of 15 per game over the season

JP

Offa 15 February, 2020 08:16
Also our owners have clearly stated intentions to rely heavily on our academy. That being said, they have also stated that you have to spend up to the cap to compete.

Interesting times. I agree that CVC will have plans which we can only guess at.

Faithful_City 15 February, 2020 08:28
What we need is for post Brexit the UK create Association Agreements with our new trading partners.

Quote:

A European Union Association Agreement (for short, Association Agreement or AA) is a treaty between the European Union (EU), its Member States and a non-EU country that creates a framework for co-operation between them. Areas frequently covered by such agreements include the development of political, trade, social, cultural and security links. The legal basis for the conclusion of the association agreements is provided by art. 217 TFEU (former art. 310 and art. 238 TEC).

Association Agreements are broad framework agreements between the EU (or its predecessors) and its member states, and an external state which governs their bilateral relations. The provision for an association agreement was included in the Treaty of Rome, which established the European Economic Community, as a means to enable co-operation of the Community with the United Kingdom, which had retreated from the treaty negotiations at the Messina Conference of 1955. According to the European External Action Service, for an agreement to be classified as an AA, it must meet several criteria:[1]

1. The legal basis for their conclusion is Article 217 TFEU (former art. 310 and art. 238 TEC)
2. Intention to establish close economic and political cooperation (more than simple cooperation);
3. Creation of paritary bodies for the management of the cooperation, competent to take decisions that bind the contracting parties;
4. Offering most favoured nation treatment;
5. Providing for a privileged relationship between the EC and its partner;
6. Since 1995 the clause on the respect of human rights and democratic principles is systematically included and constitutes an essential element of the agreement;
7. In a large number of cases, the association agreement replaces a cooperation agreement thereby intensifying the relations between the partners

OK Boris over to you.(Sm128)

Whispering_Death 15 February, 2020 08:28
I think county cricket are arguing the same point so they can keep their Kolpac players.

Re: Quiet recruitment period & Kolpek
Fiver 16 February, 2020 10:32
Not sure about Heaney being EQP, so yesterday we had either 12 or 13 players in the squad as EQP. I think Bath had 16 or so.

I'm guessing our recruitment really needs to come from England, instead of looking at NZ or SA.

Faithful_City 16 February, 2020 11:38
But the best English players are not interested in Worcester, that's the problem.

BUT, if all clubs keep to the salary cap we may just get some more

JP

Malvern Man 16 February, 2020 12:43
I was interested to read that Ben Youngs and Jonny May at Leicester have been asked to take pay cuts if they renew their contracts. I suspect this means that Leicester have been close to, perhaps very close to, the salary cap and are being careful to stay within it after what happened to Saracens.

It appears that the cap is at last being observed. This means the richer clubs are having to reduce wages or sign fewer new players, hence the quiet current transfer scene. This in the end is bound to benefit the less fashionable clubs, such as Worcester.

Faithful_City 16 February, 2020 12:48
Absolutely agree MM and it also means ďallĒ the best players get maximum game time instead of bench warming.

JP

Fiver 16 February, 2020 13:18
I wonder if there has been this "behind the scenes" wage inflation causing clubs such as ourselves to be priced out. There have been several rumours about other clubs apart from Sarries, but at lower levels of cheating.

If you're an England winger, and Tigers offer you £200k per year, and Warriors offer £200k per year, we all know the answer.

Given the quality of the squads at other, "bigger" clubs, we might hopefully see some higher quality EQP players sniffing around the less fashionable clubs for employment.

Ayerzawannabe 16 February, 2020 19:48
Quote:
Malvern Man
I was interested to read that Ben Youngs and Jonny May at Leicester have been asked to take pay cuts if they renew their contracts. I suspect this means that Leicester have been close to, perhaps very close to, the salary cap and are being careful to stay within it after what happened to Saracens.
It appears that the cap is at last being observed. This means the richer clubs are having to reduce wages or sign fewer new players, hence the quiet current transfer scene. This in the end is bound to benefit the less fashionable clubs, such as Worcester.

Wage cuts are too balance Genge and Ford increases.
As far as I know Tigers have always basically spent up to the cap.

Malvern Man 16 February, 2020 22:37
Useful information Ayerzawannabe. The point is that once the salary cap is enforced, the top players will be more spread out and competition more even, which is of course the point of it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net