Latest news:

6 Nations moves closer to paywall
Discussion started by Faithful_City , 20 March, 2020 17:00
6 Nations moves closer to paywall
Faithful_City 20 March, 2020 17:00
It’s going to happen.

Quote:

The government has rejected the chance to ensure the Six Nations remains on free-to-air TV by turning down a call to give the Championship Group A status, with the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport committee labelling the decision a “missed opportunity”.

Speculation has been rife in recent weeks that the competition could go behind a paywall – with Sky Sports front runners to secure broadcasting rights covering the 2022-24 tournaments – and it resulted in a motion being tabled to Parliament at the start of March.

Kevin Brennan, MP for Cardiff West, submitted a proposal that was also signed by 11 other Welsh MPs. He called for the Six Nations to be put in the Government’s ‘Category A’ of sporting events, thereby ensuring it will be shown live on free-to-air platforms.

But it will remain in the Group B category, opening the door for Sky Sports to try and secure the broadcasting rights of the Six Nations tournaments after the 2021 edition.

Rules prevent the BBC and ITV from making another joint bid after next year’s Six Nations, which could be the last on only free-to-air TV.

DCMS committee chair Julian Knight said: “We’ve been informed by the government today that it has rejected our call to review the listing of the Six Nations Championship to give it Group A status which would have ensured it remained available on free-to-air channels.

“It is very disappointing and a real missed opportunity.

“It would have given fans hope for the future to see a national event that brings people together was being protected for all. That’s a message that becomes even more important in a time like this.”

JP

Re: 6 Nations moves closer to paywall
kiddykid 20 March, 2020 17:53
If it happens"....................greed, unadulterated greed.

Rich. 21 March, 2020 09:07
No I think the big news that means it will stay on terrestrial is that the Six Nations have now said there can be joint bids (so BBC and ITV will go in together again). There may have been behind the scenes stuff going on here because to give it crown jewels status at this time would result in a far lower successful bid, whereas due to the pressure from Sky, BBC and ITV will need to bid more (though no doubt still less than Sky).

Faithful_City 21 March, 2020 09:10
When did they say that Rich, have you got a link?

The latest I had read was that there could be no joint bids.

JP

Rich. 21 March, 2020 23:42
Quote:
Faithful_City
When did they say that Rich, have you got a link?
The latest I had read was that there could be no joint bids.

JP

I read it in two papers - one the Guardian (if the link works it's about halfway down)

[www.theguardian.com]

Just checked and link works. Key bit is:

On Friday the DCMS committee said the Six Nations Council had confirmed it would allow broadcasters to share rights in the tender process for 2022 onwards, opening up the possibility of a new joint BBC and ITV bid to combat Sky’s offer. BBC and ITV currently share the live rights.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 21/03/2020 23:43 by Rich..

Faithful_City 22 March, 2020 07:20
Nice find Rich.

If Sky are offering £300m what will the joint bid have to offer and it’s not just about money. I believe Sky were also putting a delivery package that would vastly improve the “watchability” and “understanding” of the game to widen the audience appeal.

JP

Rich. 22 March, 2020 09:14
It was a hidden (despite being very important) update to the bidding process though wasn't it! Timing with virus postponements led to lack of publicity I guess.

What will also be interesting is whether the postponement/cancellation of club fixtures around Europe will have a crucial impact on the final decision. It will result in big lost income - let's hope they are able to think more longer term than that.

I'd think, generally, those who don't understand the game too well are not likely to watch it on Sky anyway so that package may not be too useful. I'm sure BBC and ITV could do something similar if asked to do so as part of a deal.

Faithful_City 22 March, 2020 10:47
Why are they not likely to watch it on sky? There are millions of households out there with Sky, Virgin Media, Freesat and other devices.

JP

Garym 22 March, 2020 12:02
Quote:
Faithful_City
Why are they not likely to watch it on sky? There are millions of households out there with Sky, Virgin Media, Freesat and other devices.
JP

They may have SKY, but not SKY Sports as we do. The F1 audience dropped from millions to 78,000 when it went over to SKY only - good financially for the sort, butt terrible for the fan

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net