Latest news:

Ultimate Warriors 15
Discussion started by Faithful_City , 24 March, 2020 19:03
Ultimate Warriors 15
Faithful_City 24 March, 2020 19:03
A great idea by the club this. Your opportunity to vote for your best ever “ultimate” Warriors XV.

Quote:
The Offy

Over the next two weeks we will be compiling a fan voted Ultimate Team of Warriors stars since the professional era of the club began in 1996.

Supporters can vote on Twitter with four players to chose from in each position. The first position is full-back and you can vote for your favourite by clicking here.

Chris Pennell

Chris Pennell is a rarity in the professional era, a man who has played all his rugby for one club.

The son of the late Graham Dilley, the former England cricketer, Pennell joined Warriors’ Academy from Old Swinford Hospital School and made his first team debut in 2007.

Pennell clocked up his 200th first team appearance in the final match of the 2017/18 season and became the first Warriors player to make 150 Premiership appearances against Exeter Chiefs in March 2019.

He was capped by England as a replacement against New Zealand at Wellington in 2014.

Sateki Tuipulotu

Sateki Tuipulotu joined Warriors after he had played for Tonga in the 1999 Rugby World Cup in England where he landed a last minute drop goal to secure victory over Italy at Leicester.

He had previous experience of playing in England having spent three years with Leeds from 1996.

Tuipulotu was a strong-running attacking full-back and an accurate goalkicker whose first of three seasons was their first in what is now the RFU Championship.

Tuipulotu won 20 caps for Tonga and played in three World Cups, the last of them in 2003.

Thinus Delport

Thinus Delport won 18 South Africa caps between 2000 and 2003 having toured Europe with the Springboks in 1997.

After a successful provincial career with the Lions in Super Rugby Delport moved to England and joined Gloucester in 2003.

Delport switched to Warriors in 2004 and went on to make 110 appearances in a successful four-year career at Sixways.

A slick and speedy full-back, Delport also played on the wing and was versatile enough to develop a new career as a television pundit while he was still playing.

Chris Latham

Latham was an eye-catching recruit when Warriors signed him in 2008 as he had won the Rugby World Cup with Australia in 1999 and played in two more World Cups, scoring five tries against Namibia in the 2003 tournament.

Latham made more than 100 appearances for Queensland Reds and became the first man to win the Australian Super Rugby Player of the Year Award.

Latham, a fine attacking full-back had two successful season with Warriors in which he made 46 appearances and scored 42 points.

After leaving Sixways Latham moved to Japan where he took up a player/coach role with Kyuden Voltex where, having guided them to promotion to the top flight in 2012, he retired.

For me this is a no brainer but is it a choice from head or heart.

The head says unquestionably Latham, the heart nudges CP in front. However it the Ultimate Warriors so Latham it is.

Click the “Warriors Twitter” link above to take you to the poll

JP

Re: Ultimate Warriors 15
Faithful_City 24 March, 2020 19:06
It’s a times vote which closes 08:30 tomorrow morning

JP

Faithful_City 24 March, 2020 19:10

Faithful_City 24 March, 2020 22:11
Looks very much like CP is going to win the vote on the fullback slot.

I really feel it’s guys voting with their hearts or they don’t know Latham and Delport, I have Chris in 3rd place.

JP

Abmatt 25 March, 2020 07:21
Is was a close call for me between TD and CP.

But I refuse to have a twatter account so can’t vote.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 25/03/2020 07:23 by Abmatt.

Faithful_City 25 March, 2020 07:52
I think there are few who feel the same Abmatt.

So, as I feel it’s a really good idea I will run one on here using the clubs suggestions and biogas. I will add players I feel have been missed, for example Ben Hinshelwood at fullback.

JP

ROLLO 25 March, 2020 09:21
I ma not on twitter either so will use yours.

TVM Rides Again 25 March, 2020 11:49
Quote:
Faithful_City
Looks very much like CP is going to win the vote on the fullback slot.
I really feel it’s guys voting with their hearts or they don’t know Latham and Delport, I have Chris in 3rd place.

JP

That's an interesting perspective - as I chose CP, very much on a 'head' decision.

Heart said TD all day every day.

Faithful_City 25 March, 2020 12:04
Interesting TVM, you feel CP is a better overall fullback and rugby player than probably one of the best 3 fullbacks in the world.

Which would indicate that you feel Brown and Daly are better fullbacks than Chris Latham.

IMHO Latham is probably the best position for position rugby player that has ever played rugby for Worcester. I might add Werner Swanepoel though.

If we ere playing Exeter at Twickenham in the final of The Premiership you would select Pennell over Latham?

I mean that is fair enough but I would back my team against yours

JP

Malvern Man 25 March, 2020 12:53
Worcester playing Exeter at Twickenham in the Premiership Final. Wow.

Anybody seen any dirty old lamps needing a polish?

Grasshopper 25 March, 2020 13:53
Perhaps the "Ultimate" qualities and characteristics should be defined / refined for the remainder of the team.

Chris Latham obviously is the best full back, (IMOH)and voted for him, but it was a hard choice. I believe that Chris may have won the vote for his skill, loyalty and contribution to the club over so many years.

So, are we to vote for the best player per position for the team, skill and performance-wise, or to take into account their overall contribution, as a club man?

Faithful_City 25 March, 2020 14:38
Absolute best player each choice

ROLLO 25 March, 2020 15:03
I am going to judge on which player was the most effective whilst he played for Warriors.
Latham in his career was obviuosly the best FB but he was passed his best when he was with us. Equally Hartly got to his best when he had moved on.

TVM Rides Again 25 March, 2020 15:05
Quote:
Faithful_City
Interesting TVM, you feel CP is a better overall fullback and rugby player than probably one of the best 3 fullbacks in the world.
Which would indicate that you feel Brown and Daly are better fullbacks than Chris Latham.

IMHO Latham is probably the best position for position rugby player that has ever played rugby for Worcester. I might add Werner Swanepoel though.

If we ere playing Exeter at Twickenham in the final of The Premiership you would select Pennell over Latham?

I mean that is fair enough but I would back my team against yours

JP

That's an extrapolation too far JP!

What are the parameters. CP is an incredible club man, I mean incredible. Hard working and loyal as they come.

If we went on out and out rugby playing ability - Latham (at his peak) is a hard man to argue with. But as said above, he was past his best with us. That also makes your Brown/Daly comment a little incomparable, in my opinion

So much so there is no fun in it, in my opinion!

These dream xv types are often as much about (IMHO) what a player means to you as opposed to any sort of skill position

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 25/03/2020 15:09 by TVM Rides Again.

Swatpo 25 March, 2020 15:18
I don't have Twatter either so can't vote , but for me Chris Pennell, longevity and consistency. Latham, was a great signing but doesn't edge it or otherwise. (But what do I know!!) [:wor kid:]

Faithful_City 25 March, 2020 15:21
Fair enough TVM, I suggest between us we decide the parameters so that we are all on the same page.

Do we want to vote for our “ultimate winning” team or our most loyal hardworking committed team which may not win us a single game.

I love winning therefore I would choose the first option, but I must admit I would have difficulties voting for T’eo as I really believe he wasn’t the slightest bit interested in Warriors as a club, but Latham and Delport definitely were.

If it was purely on loyalty, commitment and work ethic Hammond would be up there for center in place of Beck, Venter, Mills.

For me the club set it up as the Ultimate Squad, which I perceive as the best playing side ever.

JP

Faithful_City 25 March, 2020 15:26
Rollo, probably has it about right, the best player whilst playing for us.

I would still choose Latham.

JP

Abmatt 25 March, 2020 15:37
I think some of you are overthinking what is supposed to be some simple fun.

Faithful_City 25 March, 2020 15:46
Agree(Sm128)(Sm60) (Sm60) (Sm60) (Sm60)

Faithful_City 25 March, 2020 15:47
Bring on the wingers!

If fullback is debatable then???(Sm128)

JP

Villages12 25 March, 2020 16:00
Is the judgement on Latham at his peak or in his Worcester days. They are very different answers !

Latham at his peak...…..undeniably the man for the job.

Latham at Worcester...…...definitely not the man !

Faithful_City 25 March, 2020 16:09
I think we have to say at the players time at Worcester

JP

TVM Rides Again 25 March, 2020 16:27
Full backs

Strongest XV

15: Latham (he'd lost a yard of pace but such a wily old fox)

Heart over head XV

15: Delport. Lovely bloke. that try against Gloucester.

Wingers

Both heart and strongest XV are the same to me

14: Garvey
11: Heem

Faithful_City 25 March, 2020 16:46
I hope the club hurry up with the next position so we can get at it again.

I will have to do positions by the number as you can only make one choice at a time, there are a lot of wingers.

JP

Hallowed Warrior 26 March, 2020 11:09
Maybe not everyone's ultimate 15 but here's mine....

1. Windo
2. Annett
3. Big Dave
4. Rawlinson
5. Gillies
6. Hill
7. Sanderson
8. Wood
9. Hougaard
10. Goode
11. Garvey
12. Mills
13. Lawrence
14. Heem
15. Pennell

Abmatt 26 March, 2020 11:25
I looking through that 15 has made me realise that we have had some very good players in the past. Just not at the same time.

Creevy, kevsic, lemi, Delport, Latham, schonert, Rasmussen, DoC, quinell, Drahmto name but a few.

A useful list here.
[en.m.wikipedia.org]

Faithful_City 26 March, 2020 11:37
Agreed and this is the time to select them for the Ultimate Warriors Team

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net