Latest news:

Finn Smith
Discussion started by AJWarriors , 03 April, 2020 18:20
Finn Smith
AJWarriors 03 April, 2020 18:20
Iím just watching a full match of Finn Smith playing for his school Warwick against another school from Northampton. I was hoping Jack Forsythe would be playing too,but he seems to be injured or not available so far.

You can understand why Finn has been named the best fly half in the country for his age because Iím seriously impressed from watching his game closely on this video. His kicking both from the tee and hand are unbelievable and thatís not even mentioning his passing and game management.

Hereís the game if youíre bored and want to watch

[www.fifteenrugby.com]

Re: Finn Smith
Faithful_City 03 April, 2020 19:03

Here you go Watch This Guy!!

AJWarriors 03 April, 2020 20:09
Wrong team JP but it is on that page. Just not sure how to get the correct video?

ROLLO 03 April, 2020 20:13
It is surley these players that we will be buidling our team around in the future, highly paid none EQP will be a thing of the past.

Faithful_City 03 April, 2020 23:04
Just move the video on 5/7 minutes

AJWarriors 03 April, 2020 23:13
Quote:
ROLLO
It is surley these players that we will be buidling our team around in the future, highly paid none EQP will be a thing of the past.

Definitely. Thereís so many of them coming through too. Thatís the most exciting thing about it all. There are a lot of guys in that age group that have the same potential as Olly Lawrence and Ted Hill.

I spoke to Morgan Monks earlier today and he said heís excited by it all and that Worcester is a great club to be at. I think in 3-4 years time we could have a team in the same vein as what Exeter have done with their academy lads,but I think we will have more graduates.

Faithful_City 04 April, 2020 12:05
t the setup for Warwick's first try was very clever.

The miss pass straight from 9 to 12 with Smith looping round took out their 10, gave Warick to extra man in the line and took Smith wider to be able to reach the winger with the long pass, very smart.

JP

AJWarriors 04 April, 2020 13:46
Impressive stuff. I really enjoyed the game. It was a good standard of rugby but Smith stands out like a sore thumb. Warwick have produced some good kids over the years like Ben Howard,Shilly,Sam Smith (not the winger) Nick David and Nick Rigby

Faithful_City 04 April, 2020 15:00
I did not know Shilly was Warwick School

I wonder why Kings , Grammar or any other city school hasnít produced players of note.

JP

AJWarriors 04 April, 2020 15:47
Kings in Worcester or King Edwards in Birmingham JP? If itís Worcester then thatís a good question actually especially with Worcester being a rugby city.

WorcesterSauce 04 April, 2020 17:31
Perhaps the club should stop focusing on 5% of the population and give state school kids a chance.

Also AJ that is a very bold statement to say we will be where Exeter are. Our academy isnít *that* good. Compared to others it fairs ok, itís certainly not the worst but not the best by some distance either.

AJWarriors 04 April, 2020 18:52
We came 3rd in the academy finals. Iíd say that they are a pretty good bunch wouldnít you?

Faithful_City 04 April, 2020 19:31
Yes I would AJ

JP

WorcesterSauce 04 April, 2020 20:10
Look at how many players we have in the England age groups. In the last England u20 squad we had no players at all (ok Ted and Lawrence have already outgrown them) and in the last England u18 squad (46 players in total), we had 4 players, which was fewer than Quins, Bristol and Irish and the same as Leicester, Sarries, Bath and Gloucester. Last season was our best ever u18 finish and I believe our first ever appearance at finals day. If we can replicate a 3rd or higher placed finish for a couple more seasons and get 5,6,7 players in the u18 squad them weíll be going places.

As I said before, we clearly havenít got a bad academy at the moment but itís not that good and certainly not good enough for us to rival Exeter in just three seasons.

AJWarriors 04 April, 2020 21:09
As I said 3rd in the National Academy tells me we have the 3rd best academy in England. That to me sounds good

WorcesterSauce 04 April, 2020 22:05
I agree this year we had the third best u18 team in the country. The problem is, as a club we need more than just one good year of good academy graduates as the first team ranges from what 19ish to 34ish.

We probably need about 5 consecutive good years of academy crop to properly feed the first team with a good conveyor-belt of talent. Hopefully this year isnít just a one off and we do have years of success. What is very promising is two of the players whoíve come out of this years crop who are star players are scrum and fly halves. Good players in these positions are like gold dust so we need to nurture them and then if good enough, keep them.

Faithful_City 04 April, 2020 22:23
It would be an outstanding achievement if any club had 5 consecutive years.

If we could have an outstanding group every other season or every 3 season we would soon build up a team.

JP

AJWarriors 04 April, 2020 23:23
Quote:
WorcesterSauce
I agree this year we had the third best u18 team in the country. The problem is, as a club we need more than just one good year of good academy graduates as the first team ranges from what 19ish to 34ish.
We probably need about 5 consecutive good years of academy crop to properly feed the first team with a good conveyor-belt of talent. Hopefully this year isnít just a one off and we do have years of success. What is very promising is two of the players whoíve come out of this years crop who are star players are scrum and fly halves. Good players in these positions are like gold dust so we need to nurture them and then if good enough, keep them.

Donít forget Jack Forsythe. He could be the best of the lot. Iím sure thereís a full back in that group thatís been called up for England. I canít remember his name at all though?

To be honest itís about time we produced a scrum half. I donít think we have had one come through the age grades since George De Cothi? What I like about the two outside halves is they can grow together and will already have that chemistry you need between a 9 and 10. They look a very good combo already. If these guys grow and putting together the guys we have that have come through already we could have

1. Owen
2. Cutting
4. Kitchener
5. Clegg
6. Hill
7. Forsythe
8. Monks
9. Wynn
10. Smith/Shilly
11. David
12. Butler
13. Lawrence
15. Heward

16. Miller
17. Holsey
18. Morris
19. Scott
20. Dodd
21. Simpson
22. Shilly/Smith
23. Hearle

Those are all talented guys. Iíd love to see that happen with so many graduates coming through the ranks

WorcesterSauce 04 April, 2020 23:49
It does have potential but as with these things some of them will inevitably not make it for whatever reason. Thereís a few on your list for example who wont be good enough if we are to challenge at the top end of the league and I can say that in confidence even now. Realistically though we donít need a full team of academy grads, just a decent chunk. There is promise there but it will take a few more years before we see the benefit in the first team.

AJWarriors 05 April, 2020 01:08
In all due respect to some of them I was just filling in the gaps with the lads that are still at the club,but I agree with that.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net