Latest news:

Beaumont Re-elected
Discussion started by Faithful_City , 03 May, 2020 07:55
Beaumont Re-elected
Faithful_City 03 May, 2020 07:55
Quote:

Congratulations to Bill Beaumont, who will now serve for another four years as chairman of World Rugby.

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2020/05/02/20/27930912-8281035-image-a-1_1588448512166.jpg

But when he clocks back on Monday morning, it would be worth remembering that, although the official tally says 28-23, he actually won by only one vote.

The vote was so close that if perennial underperformers Italy had voted the other way, Gus Pichot would have carried the day.

Extraordinarily, under the perverse voting system, Italy have three votes while Fiji and Samoa have only one apiece and Tonga none whatsoever. I would simply ask you ó who makes the greater contribution to world rugby?

In fact, if only one of the Six Nations ó with three votes apiece ó had broken rank, Pichot would have won. It tells you everything about the current state of rugby governance that only one of those nations ó Wales ó will admit to have even engaged with Pichot and discussed his plans and proposals. That really is shameful.

Full Woodward Article

Has he now got the balls to change Rugby Union to make it a sustainable world wide sport.

JP

Re: Beaumont Re-elected
Faithful_City 03 May, 2020 08:10
New Zealand not Happy

SANZAAR nations did not want Beaumont

JP

Faithful_City 03 May, 2020 08:16
This is another article that highlights the state of world rugby

Quote:

ďFrom what the boys talk about, World Rugby are impatient with Tonga and our board specifically because they have given them plenty of opportunities with funding. And the reason Iím happy to talk about this is because nothing will change if itís not out there. I feel sorry for the Tongan players and coaches.Ē

At the World Cup in Japan, Tongan players were paid £300 per game, a mere £12,700 less than their pool counterparts England were reported to earn each fixture (which itself is roughly half what they get during the Six Nations). Frequently, the money did not arrive on time.

Tongan Problems

JP

Faithful_City 03 May, 2020 08:23
Looks like Northern Hemisphere rugby has taken total control of World Rugby with Laporte as the ne 2nd in command!

Gracious tweet from Pichot on Beaumontís re-election

Quote:

According to World Rugby: ďBeaumont, in partnership with Laporte, will build on strong foundations to deliver a mandate of progressive reform, uniting stakeholders for the betterment of the game for all.

ďThis will include enhanced governance reform, an aligned and integrated approach to the global intenational calendar, accelerated prioritisation of player welfare, injury-prevention and modified contact variants, accelerated promotion of the womenís game and sustainable investment the sport.Ē

Full Article HERE

JP

Faithful_City 03 May, 2020 08:30
The Australians want change as promised and quickly

Quote:

"We have very good relationships with Bill and the northern countries. The frustration we've made clear to Bill over the past 12 to 18 months is the pace of change and the need to shift it faster than we were able to, from laws to competition models and other issues," Robinson said.

https://static.ffx.io/images/$zoom_0.271%2C$multiply_1.5109%2C$ratio_1.776846%2C$width_1059%2C$x_0%2C$y_19/t_crop_custom/q_62%2Cf_auto/11771bd113d0f5196cc7681fc4e7fdf97edbe299

"This vote showed that a large proportion of the rugby world really is unhappy about what's happened. I think he acknowledges that and acknowledges the need for him to move faster and be open to change.

"We made our position clear to Bill on which way we were going and why, but equally we said that if we was successful we would be doing everything we could to help with his agenda and changing the game."

The world need change can Beaumont deliver or is it hot air to win election

Full Article HERE

Faithful_City 03 May, 2020 09:09
Sollyís thoughts might have been based on inside knowledge.

Quote:
Walesonline

World Rugby chiefs are proposing to move the Six Nations as part of radical plans to shake up the game's sporting calendar.

The Rugby Paper report that pushing the competition from its usual starting date of early February to later in the year - in April - in order to ease the conflict between the club and international game.

The bold plans would also see the European club season start in December, with a source saying the proposed schedule is getting "a lot of traction with clubs in the Gallagher Premiership, the PRO14 and the Top 14".

The same publication state that the move revolves around the Rugby Championship, involving South Africa, New Zealand, Australia and Argentina, due to kick off in August, being moved to start at the same time as the Six Nations.

That would then free up space for Tests involving northern and southern hemisphere sides to take place in October and November.

At present the Six Nations starts in early February and reaches its climax around the end of March.

Go the whole hog and start in March give us summer rugby on faster pitches, reduce the size of the fat boys.

Full Article HERE

JP

Offa 03 May, 2020 09:42
My word, there are some unhappy folk out there, particularly in the South. I am not convinced that World Rugby hasn't missed an opportunity in making the desired and clearly needed change. Bill has to really step up to the plate now, be brave, and do what is needed. We will never again get a blank sheet like the one that we currently have.

What will a realigned season mean for Warriors?
Certainly sunnies and a cap at each game in the East stand. Possibly more folk hanging around for post-match entertainment. Less opportunity to use the venue in the off-season? Less opportunity to pick up points in international windows?

Over to you Bill.

Offa 03 May, 2020 11:41
Looks to me like World Rugby missed a trick here.
Bill really needs to step up to the plate. There will never again be a time of such financial uncertainty for rugby, but such an opportunity to reset everything.
I wonder how the global season will affect Sixways - sunnies and a cap compulsory in the East Stand.

Drutz 04 May, 2020 11:20
Quote:
Faithful_City

Go the whole hog and start in March give us summer rugby on faster pitches, reduce the size of the fat boys.

JP

I had this same discussion with someone, that might be great for the Professional game but the costs of maintaining pitches and increase of injuries on hard ground for amateur sides could cause issues.

You have to remember what happens at the top of the game affects the bottom JP.

You're looking at it from the point of view of a spectator not an amateur club.

Pulling the boots on for one more year

WarwickEastie 04 May, 2020 17:44
Southern Hemisphere think that the North is too conservative and dominating the agenda - and you have to say they have a point.

Internationals are the money spinners and have the potential to open the game to more viewers world wide (a bit like cricket?) - so I think what they are after is to break open the competitions and allow some of the tier 2 nations more of a chance to play the bigger ones.

One downside is that we may see internationals even less in club colours if they are always playing....

Personally, I think the 6 nations is one of the few things to look forward to in January so I'm not sure what I'd do without it (apart from carry on going to Wuss games!)

WE

NW2 09 May, 2020 11:34
Seems I am very much in the minority but I really prefer rugby as a winter sport. I'm probably old school but that's how it's always been for me and if it switched to summer then I probably wouldn't bother, as I have plenty of other things to do on sunny summer weekends.
Will be interesting to see the outcome.

kiddykid 09 May, 2020 16:38
NW2 - I agree with you. Watching a good game at Sixways, wrapped up but looking forward to a great homemade meal with some bi red vino is something I really enjoy.
The summer has more than enough going on without us trying to squeeze rugby in as well. And, how does Bradders cut himself in half between Sixways and New Road?
No, leave as it is.

Asterz 10 May, 2020 01:19
Lots of gnashing of teeth, but two very similar tickets. World league almost guaranteed now. Shame thatís likely to End Christmas rugby!

shrewsburyman 10 May, 2020 08:29
Iím very much in the winter rugby camp.

Malvern Man 10 May, 2020 12:10
Agreed. Why should we have our winter rugby messed about to make money for the Southern Hemisphere.

WorcesterSauce 10 May, 2020 18:48
Iíve read a proposal that would see the season start with big Christmas fixtures and finish on august bank holiday weekend. I can see positives and negatives to this to be honest. I know cricket struggles to attract fana when major football tournaments are happening so itís something that would need to be taken into account. Iím not adverse to a game in the south of france in may/june/july though.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net