Is this the end of the "Marquee" Players
Faithful_City 10 May, 2020 13:41
An article in the Telegraph

Maybe, just maybe?

JP

PS Thanks Clive

Re: Is this the end of the "Marquee" Players
NW2 11 May, 2020 15:46
Seems a logical and reasonable step in the wake of the current crisis and finan burden.

NW2 11 May, 2020 15:47
Sorry, "financial" burden.

ROLLO 11 May, 2020 20:36
That would make a hole in Bristol's cap.

Faithful_City 12 May, 2020 10:49
I thinks itís a good thing and stops or slows down the massive rise in salaries we have seen since it was created.

Let our players get our money not the foreign pension makers.

JP

shrewsburyman 18 May, 2020 09:33
Am I correct in saying that 10 out 13 clubs need to agree on this? If this is the case then I wonder who will vote against this?

ROLLO 18 May, 2020 10:09
Repoerted to be Bristol, Bath and surprisingly Exeter.

shrewsburyman 18 May, 2020 10:30
Thanks Rollo. I wonder when a vote might take place? Given their complaints about Saracens I think that it would be a bit rich for Exeter to vote against this!

Fiver 18 May, 2020 14:17
I'd heard that some Marquee players are paid X+Y. X is what they keep, and Y is what they give to another player who can't fit in the cap.

Faithful_City 18 May, 2020 18:25
Fiver, Iíll bet that is they way.

But who pays the tax??

ROLLO 18 May, 2020 18:28
Landsdown is against it, he would say that wouldn't he.

Underdog 19 May, 2020 09:59
It would be great if it did get cut. Rugby in general is spending way beyond its means at the moment for short term gain. It would also reduce the premiership teams' ability to outbid lots of the southern hemisphere which is putting pressure on them.

I do feel for the players who are playing an incredibly brutal sport for what is essentially a very short career, but I think improving player welfare and trying to align the global calendars is a better way of supporting them than continuing to inflate a wage bubble that will eventually burst.

Fiver 21 May, 2020 10:39
Money and player welfare are such separate issues I can't accept it when people put the two together. I remember when Mike Tyson fought Lennox Lewis, he was broke at the time having earned something like £30 million and blown the lot. it's not how much you get paid, it's how you spend it. None of the players affected are on the bread line as we're talking about the bigger earners.

Wanting to keep the marquee ruling is purely saying that you want to outspend other clubs. Whether or not this leads to players then redistributing those wages, it's just something the ex-pros on podcasts have been suggesting (and why would they do that!!).

Regarding how the taxman sees this, I have often wondered. Perhaps the players just take that hit.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net