Latest news:

covid-secure grounds
Discussion started by centrethere , 14 May, 2020 09:43
covid-secure grounds
centrethere 14 May, 2020 09:43
[www.bbc.co.uk]

I think we tick all the boxes, probably well enough to hold 2-3 rounds.

Re: covid-secure grounds
ROLLO 14 May, 2020 10:04
That would mean that Jack Nowell wont be participating ! Thinking quickly most would be ruled out, if only for the pitch.
Bristol maybe OK, but no training nearby. Sarries probaly not sufficient changing.
Wuss I would have thought be in a good position with the posiibility of the Wanderers facilities being used as well. The only problem may be how long the car park is needed for testing.

BantamWarrior 14 May, 2020 17:56
My immediate thought was that Wuss must be a very strong contender.

Additional plusses are:
. Easy access from the motorway network;
. Out of town facility with no risk of crowds gathering (albeit this was a concern the round ball guys had)

WorcesterSauce 14 May, 2020 19:24
Our otherwise inaccessible location actually makes it a perfect ground for this as it means the ground is not near anybody. As you say ROLLO if the Wanderers ground can also be used, and who knows maybe David Lloyd too? Then our ground could be ideal.

The only sticking point i guess is the Covid drive through testing. This is either a major negative (won’t want the rugby to impact on it and it’ll bring thousands of infected directly into the area) or a positive - it means there is the means to do mass testing on site.

Abmatt 15 May, 2020 13:03
“Otherwise inaccessible”!

It’s not like we’re in the middle of Antarctica. The only criteria I think we may struggle with is changing facilities for multiple sides.

Garym 15 May, 2020 13:24
Quote:
Abmatt
“Otherwise inaccessible”!
It’s not like we’re in the middle of Antarctica. The only criteria I think we may struggle with is changing facilities for multiple sides.

You know things must be improving when WS brings up the "perceived" access issues with SixWays

WorcesterSauce 15 May, 2020 17:25
Of course it’s all relative and Sixways isn’t Antarctica but as far as events venues go, it’s pretty well established as being low down the list on the accessibility front, particularly when there is a decent attendance.

Abmatt 15 May, 2020 18:15
Well as far as we know there won’t be any spectator attendance as the games will be behind closed doors, so no worries there.

ROLLO 15 May, 2020 18:55
The Wanderers club could be used for other teams I would think, pretty accesable.

WorcesterSauce 15 May, 2020 18:59
Quote:
Abmatt
Well as far as we know there won’t be any spectator attendance as the games will be behind closed doors, so no worries there.

Yep, exactly why it is a perfect ground.

centrethere 15 May, 2020 22:39
With relegation decided, can't see much opposition. We have to be a prime candidate to start this off. Just hope that no one objects to us keeping our home changing room for our game, although no big thing. Six games, running say 4 hours apart at 9AM, 1PM, 5PM, and 9PM concurrently with another 2 on the WRFC ground during the day at 2 and 6PM for example. And after all that contact, socially distanced beer on the way out for those involved. Simples

Gray_Lensman 21 May, 2020 09:00
In terms of location Sixways is a very obvious solution. Of course, as there are no spectators then almost any sports ground would do as long as it met the criteria. It doesn't have to be a rugby ground. How about a cricket ground where you could fit two pitches side by side! Actually having said that, Headingly might be a good choice. An actual rugby pitch, a cricket pitch next doo that could be used for training, a hotel on site. There are several universities around there with excellent facilities that aren't being utilised because teaching is not face-face.

My primary objection to Sixways would, indeed, be an artificial pitch. Several players, other than Nowell won't play on them.

Abmatt 21 May, 2020 09:10
I see it the other way. An artificial pitch can withstand more games and the surface is softer, reducing injuries on a hard surface.

Iirc Nowell now does play on synthetic surfaces. Most grounds are now to some degree or another.

Fiver 21 May, 2020 10:52
I agree about artificial pitches being a good solution as you can play a huge number of games in a short period. I can't see any cricket grounds agreeing as they need to be bowling green flat and rugby would rip them to pieces. We've had a very dry period recently, but we all know how quickly that can change.

Abmatt 21 May, 2020 11:02
And a cricket pitch is the wrong type of surface and the grass the wrong type/too short.

Gray_Lensman 21 May, 2020 11:14
Quote:
Abmatt
I see it the other way. An artificial pitch can withstand more games and the surface is softer, reducing injuries on a hard surface.

Actually the last professional rugby injury survey said this:

Quote:
...the severity of match injuries on artificial turf is greater than that on natural grass, with an injury sustained on artificial turf lasting, on average, nine days more than one sustained on natural grass (natural grass, 30 days; artificial turf, 39 days). Consequently, the burden of injuries on artificial turf pitches is higher than those on natural grass (natural grass, 2433 days absence per 1000 hours; artificial turf 3015 days absence per 1000 hours).

I was only joking about cricket pitches although Headingly still strikes me as a suitable venue, four sets of changing rooms if you include the cricket ones and you could use the cricket ground for some forms of training or for C19 testing.

Abmatt 21 May, 2020 11:34
Have you been on the main pitch at 6-ways? If you haven’t, but have been on Astro-turf for example, please do not compare the two. They are poles apart.

I would rather land on that on a hot July day than a grass pitch. I believe that survey was focused on muscular injuries, but could be wrong. I was referring to impact(with the ground) injuries.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net