Latest news:

Substitutes
Discussion started by shrewsburyman , 15 May, 2020 11:45
Substitutes
shrewsburyman 15 May, 2020 11:45
I know that the proposal is not new but I for one would be very pleased to see the number of substitutes reduced from 8 to 6. While I accept that players are fitter now than before I feel that the game would open up more in the latter stages perhaps not as much as before but still to some extent.

Re: Substitutes
Malvern Man 15 May, 2020 11:58
This is a great idea. Apart from everything else clubs could reduce the size of their squads helping the viability of the professional game.

Offa 15 May, 2020 12:46
Totally agree.
But may have to wait 7until after covid. If there are plans to finish the season, it will need to be done in a hurry. With many games in a short period I have read somewhere that subs may need to be very much increased for player welfare.

Pompey Warrior 15 May, 2020 15:23
I understand the reasoning for wanting to reduce the number of replacements. My main concern is that players are far more likely to get injured when they're fatigued so I think this would need to be handled very carefully.

Fiver 15 May, 2020 21:06
I remember a time when you didn't have substitutes, instead you had replacements in case someone got injured. Not sure what player welfare was like back then. Were there more injuries?

The whole point of reducing substitutes is to stop the bulking up of players. If a prop, for example, knows he has to survive 80 minutes, he's far less likely to eat that extra cake or do extra reps in the gym. Players reduce in size, collisions get smaller, better player welfare, and a much better game of rugby for the spectator.

As you might guess, I'm all for it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net