Latest news:

is the Championship effectively detroyed ?
Discussion started by Old Col , 07 June, 2020 23:20
is the Championship effectively detroyed ?
Old Col 07 June, 2020 23:20
Two clubs reduce to semi-professional status ,others face severe financial difficulty ,the competition is meaningless with Saracens fake demotion ,relegation has become a farce with the Premiership effectively now consisting of 13 teams (the demoted team just comes down for a rest !),the chances of any championship team forcing their way into the Premiership are virtually nil--why should they even invest in enhancing their facilities ? As a knock on effect the Premiership will stagnate . Thanks Saracens for your contribution to adding coffin nails to a vibrant professional scene . Premiership clubs should be ashamed to accept their players on loan-effectively cushioning them and Saracens from the full effects of the damage done.An urgent rethink is needed about the structure of professional rugby in this country and some leadership to implement a new one . I would rather see some action to do that than risk players and waste time by tring to finish what is now a meaningless season .Leadership ,integrity and imagination is the overwhelming need now--where is it ?

Re: is the Championship effectively detroyed ?
Faithful_City 08 June, 2020 11:46
Reorganise the Pro Rugby approach .

Let Premiership Rugby run both Leagues o a professional basis with 14 clubs in each league or more workable 10 clubs in each league.

All clubs must be prepared to commit to financially support their club for at least 5 seasons, be prepared to invest in ground and facilities improvement over a 5 year program no promotion for the first 2 seasons then 2 up 2 down.

JP

Old Col 08 June, 2020 11:57
You are on the right lines ,I think faithful City.

PMB 08 June, 2020 13:23
Surely the biggest problem is that as far as the RFU & Prem Rugby are concerned the sooner The Championship goes away the better. Despite sensible suggestions such as JPs' and the well run French two divisions I for one am not holding my breath.

kiddykid 08 June, 2020 15:25
Eggs and baskets come to mind as to how the RFU view the top two tiers of England. Oops! We just dropped the Championship into the poo!
Come on RFU and RPL- build rugby from the bottom to make a stronger national game and we will all benefit. Letís cap salaries and marquee players so that we stop becoming more like football because if we donít do something soon clubs will go to the wall whilst the top players cream off even more pounds/euroís or whatever.

WorcesterSauce 08 June, 2020 20:31
When all of the South African Franchises join the Pro14 the PRL should be inviting the 4 Welsh clubs into the English system and creating a very good and vibrant top 2 tiers of 24 teams. Keep promotion and relegation throughout and suddenly there is no mega drop off between any league.

All of this just as France are creating their THIRD professional league in time for 2021/22 season. Unfortunately as long as our old boys cartel run the league then the league will remain an old boys cartel.

NW2 09 June, 2020 14:52
Quote:
WorcesterSauce
Unfortunately as long as our old boys cartel run the league then the league will remain an old boys cartel.
I fear you are spot on WS

WarwickEastie 09 June, 2020 17:32
Can England support 2 professional leagues ? It can barely support 1.
Let's face it, all the efforts to grow the sport as a live spectator game have not come to much.

Without the business folk bank rolling the clubs, including good old Cecil, we'd not have much.

Like cricket, the national team bankrolls the whole structure, along with some reasonable TV rights money.

I would say - either collaborate with Wales and Scotland who have the same problem, only magnified and try to create a semi-pro second tier for developing players and coaches with appropriate central funding.
WE

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net