Latest news:

Salary cap- players could strike
Discussion started by Abmatt , 10 June, 2020 21:04
Salary cap- players could strike
Abmatt 10 June, 2020 21:04
[www.skysports.com]

Not too sure what to think. They aren’t the only ones who will feel the financial pain from the pandemic. At least they will still have employment.

Many won’t.

Re: Salary cap- players could strike
WorcesterSauce 11 June, 2020 00:48
To be honest I feel let down by them. Their salaries are the reason rugby is unsustainable. I understand this is driven by owners wanting to do outdo each other and win as much as they can and is in no way the fault of the players, but now has come a time where they need to probably realise that everyone is feeling the pinch and there will be no clubs to employ them, full stop, unless they take a bit of a cut.

TrueWarrior 11 June, 2020 08:53
A strike would suit nobody I dont think but I am in favour of them seeking new employment if their contract is changed. Pains me to say it as this could result in some of our better players leaving. But if my employer said we're cutting your salary by 25%, I would be looking around too.

Garym 11 June, 2020 09:02
Quote:
TrueWarrior
A strike would suit nobody I dont think but I am in favour of them seeking new employment if their contract is changed. Pains me to say it as this could result in some of our better players leaving. But if my employer said we're cutting your salary by 25%, I would be looking around too.

The problem with that is if every club goes down the same route then the new salary norm is 25% less than it used to be. Then the only option is to go abroad and if supply then exceeds demand in say Japan the salary costs there would go down as well. Not a position I would like to be in.

Fiver 11 June, 2020 09:39
I think sometimes you just have to accept that you had it good for a few years, but now reality has struck. Rugby is very transparent in it's profits and losses, I really don't think players can use the argument that the clubs can afford to pay them whatever they want. We've known for years that we've been dealing with a house of cards.

What will be interesting will be what happens in France. Are all of their owners still flush with cash? It's long been the case that France pay the best, followed by England (I'll ignore Japan as the standard is far lower so it's seen as a retirement village for players). Maybe we'll just end up with less foreign players from now on. Would that be a bad thing?

Faithful_City 11 June, 2020 10:10
They do not have to cut individual salaries by 25%, but the “whole” salary bill.

Reduce the numbers of players you have, recruit from your academy and offer less in any new contracts.

Players may think they can earn more elsewhere, but if all clubs stay within the cap there will not be big money elsewhere

JP

everycloud 11 June, 2020 10:12
I think some transparency from the clubs and PRL as to their financial situation would help. Apparently they are imposing these cuts without explaining to the players exactly what that situation is. There now seems to be this unseemly scramble to get players to sign amendments to their contracts completely against the advice of the PRL in an apparent attempt to get round salary cap restrictions for the next few seasons. Have we learnt nothing from the Sarries debacle?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/06/2020 12:16 by everycloud.

TrueWarrior 11 June, 2020 10:24
I think French clubs are feeling the pinch, relative to their means of course. The pull of playing for England will be enough for top players to stay I think. Where we may find players heading to France or Japan are players like Kvesic, Jonathan Joseph, Rokodugini etc. Players that are very good but do not get picked for regularly (at all) for England and can make much more money abroad.

TrueWarrior 11 June, 2020 10:26
One further point - France have introduced a quota system so will be less opportunity than before. Ultimately, players playing in the Prem may find there is less demand for their services abroad pre-COVID and may have to settle for what they can in England, which would be sad considering how brutal a game rugby is.

Abmatt 12 June, 2020 19:16
[www.skysports.com]

This could end up putting the brakes on the season resuming.

A lot of “he said, she said” going on.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net