Latest news:

Contract extensions this week
Discussion started by AJWarriors , 22 June, 2020 14:01
Contract extensions this week
AJWarriors 22 June, 2020 14:01
4 contract extensions coming this week! Amazing stuff ;-)

Re: Contract extensions this week
AJWarriors 22 June, 2020 15:01
Ted Hill extends his contract [warriors.co.uk]

Signed until 2024!!!

Malvern Man 22 June, 2020 15:47
Young Mr Hill until 2024. Whoopee!

Faithful_City 22 June, 2020 16:03
Absolutely fantastic news!!

Well done the club and outstanding loyalty from ďBig TedĒ.

Great for stability for both the club and Ted knowing he is secure for 4 seasons - at least.

JP

centrethere 22 June, 2020 18:03
That is the biggest contract news in a long time. Great Move Ted

AJWarriors 22 June, 2020 18:16
More to come this week too

Bevere Warrior 22 June, 2020 19:18
I really hope one of them is Lawrence. Think his contract is up at the end of next season and Iím sure theyíll be loads of teams sniffing around.
If all the youngsters buy into sollyís plan and stay on, this could be a very good team in a couple of years.

AJWarriors 22 June, 2020 19:22
I think thereís a strong possibility he could be.

Bevere Warrior 22 June, 2020 19:39
Iíd bet my mortgage that you already have a fair idea AJ.
Sounds promising anyway

AJWarriors 22 June, 2020 19:47
Lol only because heís thought of in the same vein as Ted.

TrueWarrior 22 June, 2020 20:49
My biggest concern with Lawrence is does he feel he can achieve what he wants to at Worcester. I think that forwards can always shine to some degree, whatever system they play in. However, if backs are playing in an attacking system that doesnt promote attacking rugby, will you get noticed by international selectors?

Dont get me wrong, would love him to sign and would be overjoyed if he did but not holding my breath sadly.

Faithful_City 23 June, 2020 07:17
Heís been seen and identified by other clubs and England whilst playing for us already, so no problem there.

He now gets an opportunity to play against the other aspiring Centers and show how much better he is than them.

With Skerritt coming in he will develop even further and could be the clubs No1 choice, getting more rugby than moving and bench warming.

JP

Faithful_City 23 June, 2020 07:25
Probably all due to Covid 19 and salary cuts.

Clubs could all be offering 4 and 5 year contracts in return for reducing salaries. Which I now feel is a prep for ring fencing or 5 year moratorium on relegation.

JP

AJWarriors 23 June, 2020 07:46
To be honest if I was a player around Ollie or Tedís age and I knew I had 10 years or so of potentially playing in the most talented and home grown squad we have ever had, then I wouldnít think twice about staying

ROLLO 23 June, 2020 08:50
Next three Lawrence, Schonert and Owen ?

TrueWarrior 23 June, 2020 08:56
Quote:
AJWarriors
To be honest if I was a player around Ollie or Tedís age and I knew I had 10 years or so of potentially playing in the most talented and home grown squad we have ever had, then I wouldnít think twice about staying

I hope you're right but the fact remains, we have always been a bottom 4 club in the prem. If you read his interview a few months back in the Rugby paper I think it was, he talks about wanting to be the worlds best, pioneering what a centre should like etc. which I would suggest does not fit the profile of who Worcester have been. Obviously, may look very different in the future and would be delighted to be proved wrong but will be sceptical until he signs.

TrueWarrior 23 June, 2020 08:57
Quote:
ROLLO

Weir, Hougaard and Owen would be my guess.

AJWarriors 23 June, 2020 09:01
Quote:
TrueWarrior
Quote:
ROLLO

Weir, Hougaard and Owen would be my guess.

Nope not the first two True Warrior. Iím with Rollo

MSR-Worcester 23 June, 2020 10:17
Will be Cutting, Owen and Lawrence

Faithful_City 23 June, 2020 10:18
Maybe Kitchener?

BantamWarrior 23 June, 2020 15:01
IT'S LAWRENCE

(No apologies for shouting)

Great, Great news with both him and Hill signed up - HANDS OFF OUR TALLENT

TrueWarrior 23 June, 2020 15:10
Delighted to be proved wrong.

Malvern Man 23 June, 2020 15:14
Whoopee again. That's the two stars and the rest should follow.

Faithful_City 23 June, 2020 15:31
I think that only mean 2 years totall for Ollie

Garym 23 June, 2020 15:57
Quote:
Faithful_City

.... which is better than none/one

Sir Mills 23 June, 2020 15:59
Great news about these contract extensions. However I dont think it is as good as is being made out by the club. You would be mad as a young professional not accepting a contract extension post covid as the future of professional rugby is in doubt. I think it is less of a reflection on Worcester and more a reflection of the current economic climate in Rugby (and in general).

Bevere Warrior 23 June, 2020 17:02
Quote:
Sir Mills
Great news about these contract extensions. However I dont think it is as good as is being made out by the club. You would be mad as a young professional not accepting a contract extension post covid as the future of professional rugby is in doubt. I think it is less of a reflection on Worcester and more a reflection of the current economic climate in Rugby (and in general).

Quite possible however as youíll see on the other thread Josh Hodge, whilst one of our current main competitor is losing their promising youngsters, we are retaining ours. This is something weíve not been able to do for a very long time.

Abmatt 23 June, 2020 17:04
Quote:
Faithful_City

Didnít he have a year remaining? If so wouldnít a 2 year extension take him to 3 left?

usa warrior 23 June, 2020 17:19
Quote:
Faithful_City

Two MORE years for Ollie. Three in total.

Fiver 23 June, 2020 18:52
There has been a lot of press around the cynical nature of contract extensions forced upon players before the deadline of the 75% cap thingie. I'm still not sure I fully understand what the exact rules are now.

That said, our two best young players have committed to the club and that is a massive message given our history of losing our best young players. It's a big message to the other young players who, most likely, will also look to stay.

I'm sure the new owners are a big part of this, along with Solly. I've no doubt in the past previous DoRs would have loved to have done the same bit didn't get the same backing from the boardroom.

centrethere 23 June, 2020 19:19
Very pleased . Some of the talk must have been around moulding the team with them in. Isnít kai owen the next?

Latecomer 23 June, 2020 19:31
Quote:
usa warrior
Quote:
Faithful_City

Two MORE years for Ollie. Three in total.

Agree with JP, think its likely a 1 year extension on top of the one already in place for next season, making TWO in total. Length of contract is not mentioned in the press release and the Beeb site confirms length of contract undisclosed.
However, Ollie is quoted as saying he is looking forward to the next couple of seasons ........

Abmatt 23 June, 2020 19:45
Latecomer. If you look at the web address on the offy for the story it has 2 year extension in the title.
Not concrete I know but thatís where I got it from.

Latecomer 23 June, 2020 20:28
Quote:
Abmatt
Latecomer. If you look at the web address on the offy for the story it has 2 year extension in the title.
Not concrete I know but thatís where I got it from.

I see what you mean Abmatt, but strange there is no mention of 2 years in the text of the article or in the headline. Wondering if the web address is a 'copy and paste' error from Ted's contract extension web page ??

Abmatt 23 June, 2020 20:32
Could well be. I havenít gone as far as comparing the addresses.

AJWarriors 23 June, 2020 20:33
It is 2 years

TrueWarrior 23 June, 2020 20:46
Quote:
AJWarriors
It is 2 years

2 year extension on current? So his new contract will expire 2022/2023 season?

Faithful_City 23 June, 2020 21:27
Great news if that is the case AJ.

JP

WorcesterSauce 23 June, 2020 21:48
Whether this is as a result of Covid19 or not (and if weíre honest, it is) we have hit the jackpot as C19 has come around at the exact time our 2 most exciting academy products, arguably ever, can have contracts renewed. Hopefully we can reach their ambitions and use this as a platform to push on. Itíll be a complete waste if we donít and Lawrence and Hill will be off...

So, Solly et al, youíve 3 years to climb the table and make us into a team that Lawrence and Hill (and by that point many more) want to stick around at again.

AJWarriors 23 June, 2020 22:17
Quote:
TrueWarrior
Quote:
AJWarriors
It is 2 years

2 year extension on current? So his new contract will expire 2022/2023 season?

Yes mate

AJWarriors 23 June, 2020 22:19
Quote:
Faithful_City
Great news if that is the case AJ.
JP

Huge JP. In the next 3-4 years they will be the inspiration for the current crop of talent that has just been promoted to the senior academy. By then the likes of Finn Smith and Jack Forsythe will be 21/22 and should have either broken through or breaking into the first team. By then the squad should be really exciting all being well

Faithful_City 24 June, 2020 05:28
I hope so AJ, it would be fantastic for the club and the area.

JP

usa warrior 24 June, 2020 08:26
It is, he had one year left plus added two more. Three seasons in total.

TrueWarrior 24 June, 2020 10:38
I think the best bit about the re signings this year is the length of them. How often have we said we have a decent squad this season but a good chunk are out of contract at the end of that season and move on. Feels really settled, allowing for genuine long term planning to take place. Best squad we've ever had IMO

AJWarriors 24 June, 2020 11:00
Completely agree. I can understand why a few people still reserve judgement but the club has a different feel to it now. From top to bottom it feels like everyone knows their roles within the club and sticks to it. It seems like a really well ran ship which before there was always people butting heads it seems.

The owners get on well with each other for starters and seem to know their stuff and they look as if they appreciate their staff which has filtered down throughout the club. That was noticeable in the recent Q&A where Solly praised the academy manager for the work heís done in producing so much talent.

The players look collectively happy as a unit too and very much together as one,so it all boded very well. About damn time Iíd say too!

We just need our hopes realised on the pitch now

Faithful_City 24 June, 2020 13:04
AJ, youíve done it now!

Once again I am starting to get excited about how good we will be this coming season .

Damn you Sir!

JP

AJWarriors 24 June, 2020 13:50
I hope so JP. For me Iíd hope we would be around mid table. Hopefully not down the bottom anyway

AJWarriors 24 June, 2020 15:02
Bec Cutting extends. Iíd have thought the next one will be Kai

Faithful_City 24 June, 2020 16:11
Cutting needs to step up this coming season.

He has the potential but seems to be stagnating.

JP

AJWarriors 24 June, 2020 16:22
To be fair to him he has had uni to contend with too JP so as soon as heís finished I think we will see his true potential. Same situation with Kitch jnr last year. Heís playing more now that heís available. Iíd guess it would be the same with Bec

Faithful_City 24 June, 2020 16:27
I hope so because he looks another goodun

Drahm for England 24 June, 2020 20:25
Cutting was also behind Annett, Moulds, Miller and big Joe. Now that Big Joe has gone, I would expect to see Cutting at least play some ECC games to begin to show what he can do.

AJWarriors 25 June, 2020 15:13
Kai extends

[warriors.co.uk]

Chuffed for him. Heís already shown how good his is in open field and how much heís improved by holding his own scrummaging against a World Cup winner. The more game time he gets at a higher level the more he will improve. I can see him being one of the best looseheads in the country in the next few years

BantamWarrior 25 June, 2020 16:05
It's been a good week for the club, the academy and the players involved. Very happy with all the announcements - let's just hope now we get to see a bit of Rugby soon.

TrueWarrior 25 June, 2020 16:36
Long been a supporter for Kai Owen. He surely now has to be on the bench for Prem games as a minimum. Offers so much more than Callum Black around the park and probably an equal scrummager.

AJWarriors 25 June, 2020 17:45
Completely agree. No better time than present. No pressure on him as thereís no threat of relegation and he can settle into top flight rugby with no weight of expectation on his shoulders

AJWarriors 29 June, 2020 15:05
This speaks volumes for the club! Melani has now extended his contract.

[warriors.co.uk]

The culture at the club must be amazing considering how many of our top players and youngsters have committed to the clubs future. This is something none of us are used to so almost feels bizarre?! Credit to the owners and coaches for creating an atmosphere both players and fans are feeding off. Iím really loving supporting the club at the moment

Garym 29 June, 2020 15:07
Hopefully they will now play him at fullback

AJWarriors 29 June, 2020 15:18
I hope for the same too.

TrueWarrior 29 June, 2020 15:29
Fantastic re signing for us. As above, play him at 15 and we will have a fantastic full back.

shrewsburyman 29 June, 2020 15:37
Iím not sure that I can cope with all this good news itís just so fantastic and a real contrast to recent years. Yes AJW there must be a very positive mood amongst the players for so many to re-sign. As we know too well team spirit is so important.

ironbridge warrior 29 June, 2020 16:03
Great news all round, looks like we're in good shape as a club (better than some from news coming out of other prem clubs?)

As with shrewsburyman not sure i can cope with all this good news..............

Oh, and season ticket for me & the good lady will be renewed

AJWarriors 30 June, 2020 15:14
Billy Searle extends for another year

[warriors.co.uk]

Sir Mills 30 June, 2020 15:31
19 players have extended their contracts with Northampton. I think players are very concerned of becoming free agents in this current economic climate. So I would expect to see further warriors sign longer contracts over the coming weeks.

AJWarriors 30 June, 2020 16:05
Strong possibility.

AJWarriors 30 June, 2020 18:14
This is all too much for one day!!

Nick Schonert and Sammy Lewis have extended which is massive as has Beck,Venter,Dodd,Howe,Montgomery,Marco,Miller,Cornell,Clegg,Kitchener,Annett,Palframan,Bresler,Waller and Simpson

AJWarriors 30 June, 2020 18:30
My mistake. Mis took the club tweet as people extending. Just spoke to Nick and he said he has a year left lol

shrewsburyman 01 July, 2020 07:54
Given how important he is to the team I would have thought that an extension to Nicís contract must be top of the agenda now.

AJWarriors 01 July, 2020 08:08
Heís not signed one apart from that one earlier this year. I messaged him yesterday saying I was chuffed about his new deal and he replied ďwhat new deal?Ē thatís when the penny dropped lol. Wonít go into the convo but itís all positive stuff for the future

Teme Dream 01 July, 2020 12:58
Bit odd that the club's Twitter feed says "Nick Schonert Extends His Contract"
Bending the truth a bit if they're talking about the extension he signed in December 2019.

Hey ho. It's all great news though. Pleased to have some stability in the squad.

AJWarriors 01 July, 2020 13:03
Thatís how I took it too until he hadnít got a clue what I was talking about? I thought he was winding me up at first until he told me to send it him. The tweet was a bit misleading but it basically was stating everyone that had re signed with the club

TVM Rides Again 02 July, 2020 07:32
I guess its a totting up of everyone who re signed this season - easy to forget it's not finished

AJWarriors 02 July, 2020 07:42
Yea that was the case TVM. It completely threw me

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net