Latest news:

Watching at Sixways
Discussion started by Sheldon , 24 June, 2020 11:03
Watching at Sixways
Sheldon 24 June, 2020 11:03
Given the changes to social distancing etc yesterday does anyone think we might be able to watch home matches at Sixways from August?

Re: Watching at Sixways
TrueWarrior 24 June, 2020 12:48
Hoping so.

I saw a news article that talked of being able to have 4 thousand people in each ground but I cant see how a uniform 4 thousand is correct as surely each ground will have a different amount based on space.

The 2 big issues I can see are toilets and serving food/drink. If a toilet doesnt have one exit in and one exit out, I can't see that it will be open.

I dont know how many season ticket holders we have but one would imagine they would get priority on any tickets and a good percentage of them would get tickets for each game. May have to work on a ballot system.

Garym 25 June, 2020 08:35
Quote:
TrueWarrior
Hoping so.
I saw a news article that talked of being able to have 4 thousand people in each ground but I cant see how a uniform 4 thousand is correct as surely each ground will have a different amount based on space.

The 2 big issues I can see are toilets and serving food/drink. If a toilet doesnt have one exit in and one exit out, I can't see that it will be open.

I dont know how many season ticket holders we have but one would imagine they would get priority on any tickets and a good percentage of them would get tickets for each game. May have to work on a ballot system.

The article you saw , said that for a 15!000 capacity you might get 4!000 in. So given we have less than that, we will be below the 4,000 as it currently stands. Who knows what it will actually be.

Drutz 25 June, 2020 11:23
It could be that the stands are open but no bars, or limited.

Might be to start with you basically turn up, watch the match and the ground closes straight afterwards.

Pulling the boots on for one more year

BantamWarrior 25 June, 2020 16:17
The clubs will need to carefully look at the options to avoid losing a lot of money if they can't have bars and shops open

If the grounds are open, its a good chance that the limited number of seats available will be taken by Season ticket holders, so there will be no extra cash revenue. A very high percentage of these people had "gifted" their remaining balance to clubs rather than asking for it to be repaid. So by holding the games with fans watching the clubs will receive no extra sales income and save nothing on ticket refunds.

The costs of running a game with fans in the ground is however significantly greater than running a game empty. Stewards, safety staff, ticket barrier staff, etc, etc. If these costs can't be offset by money taken in food, drink and merchandise then the clubs would actually be better off financially holding the games behind closed doors.

Obviously I would much rather the games were held with supporters and I would desperately want to be one of those in the ground - but I don't think it will be an easy a decision for clubs to make - even if they are allowed to.

ROLLO 25 June, 2020 19:23
If soccer can't manage it I can't see how rugby will.

Abmatt 25 June, 2020 22:09
If it did happen I think weíll get a 2500-3000 capacity with no standing. Limited bars, possibly only in the fanzone and at the south stand.

Sheldon 06 July, 2020 10:54
There's been very little on this in the last two weeks . Has anyone picked up on anything like home and away games, only one or two venues, spectators allowed etc?

Abmatt 06 July, 2020 11:30
There has been very little coming out of the PRL.
Nothing about what the remaining season will look like.
The last press release was about moving to stage 2 training. The last release about the league was about the 15 Aug return. That was well over a month ago.

Faithful_City 06 July, 2020 13:09
Nope, not heard a thing Sheldon.

Suspect we could be getting some summer rugby next season.

JP

usa warrior 06 July, 2020 19:52
Fixtures due to be released this week, midweek games feature, starting w/c 24th August.

Current guidelines, with a lot of luck, suggest that we could possibly be back into Sixways by September.

Sheldon 07 July, 2020 09:44
USA do you mean the reduction to 1 metre. I guess we could get the stadium quarter full but would that cover the daily cost? Hopefully we will get some clarity this week!

Abmatt 07 July, 2020 12:01
Iím sorry USA, but Iím highly sceptical we will be watching rugby at a ground in September. I donít think spectators will be allowed until at least October.

If you look at countries like Israel they have had a massive spike once restrictions were lifted. I believe the same will happen here.

Faithful_City 07 July, 2020 13:10
I donít think the new season will start until Nov/Dec anyway.

This season will, I feel, end behind closed doors

JP

ROLLO 07 July, 2020 13:39
Correct JP, that is of course if it ends at all.

nsw1654 08 July, 2020 18:53
Just seen the BBC article about Positive COVID-19 tests at several premiership clubs, Players and staff. Very wishful thinking I feel if we will be sitting at Sixways anytime soon. Perhaps there will be second thoughts about resuming on 15/8 ?

ROLLO 08 July, 2020 18:59
Two tested positive at Wuss.

usa warrior 09 July, 2020 15:40
Quote:
Sheldon
USA do you mean the reduction to 1 metre. I guess we could get the stadium quarter full but would that cover the daily cost? Hopefully we will get some clarity this week!

No, I mean what I was told re sporting events and the current guidance about when supporters could return. Clearly distancing is a component of that, but all dependent on what the national situation is at that time.

And, irregardless of when next season starts, we will still be playing THIS season in September.

Announced this afternoon that some outdoor spectator events can resume on July 11th so sports events can't be too far away now, surely?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/07/2020 20:29 by usa warrior.

WRC 09 July, 2020 20:51
Bumped into a few Bath players this week on a golf course down that way - They have been told that new season will start on Saturday 15th November .

Abmatt 09 July, 2020 20:52
That ties in with the lower leagues starting.

WorcesterSauce 09 July, 2020 21:55
Quote:
usa warrior
Quote:
Sheldon

No, I mean what I was told re sporting events and the current guidance about when supporters could return. Clearly distancing is a component of that, but all dependent on what the national situation is at that time.

And, irregardless of when next season starts, we will still be playing THIS season in September.

Announced this afternoon that some outdoor spectator events can resume on July 11th so sports events can't be too far away now, surely?

Youíd hope not but fear that as soon as we are allowed back into sports grounds social distancing really will become a thing of the past.

w4rriorz1980 09 July, 2020 22:13
Quote:
WRC
Bumped into a few Bath players this week on a golf course down that way - They have been told that new season will start on Saturday 15th November .
So let me get this straight.
Circa August 15th the Premiership will resume.
9 games for some including us.More for those finishing top 4 & still in European competition.

Taking just the teams that will only play 9 games;

In normal circumstances 9 games would take around 2 months give or take.

Obviously what is being mooted is that the remaining league games are going to be completed over a far shorter time window especially if what above stated is true about the NEW SEASON starting mid November.

Say the 9 games are abridged to say around 1 month which in itself would be dangerous for the players,what of the teams who are in the play-offs & Europe? Even worse for those lucky enough to be in both!

They'd be 1.5 months at best if for pre season for a mid November start.There is at least 4 months for any given pre-season.

What with Sarries already relegated i guess condensing so many games into a short space of time can be negated by utilising a WHOLE squad so not to prevent burn out.This would be particularly advantageous to those in the play-offs & the latter stages of Europe.

Taking ourselves if we have to play 9 games in a short space of time do we try play our best team each game to try & get top 6 & Heineken Cup rugby or do we look after our players and utilise our entire squad knowing we can't be demoted?

If the new season did start in mid November then it would finish circa July/August 2021 then there would be the c.3-4 months pre-season then the 21-22 season would start Nov/Dec 21 and so forth.

Would we ever get a season resuming late Aug/early Sept again without compromising the safety of the players by having truncated pre-seasons just to start at said months of Aug/Sept?

IMHO opinion a lot of questions that still need answers not least for Sarries who maybe in the unique position of competing in the Premiership & the Championship concurrently!

Eats,Shoots And Leaves

Garym 10 July, 2020 05:47
According to the wasps twitter feed, fixtures for rest of this season, announced at 4pm today. Also next seasons European finals confirmed in Marseilles for weekend of May 20th, so they are assuming a normal time frame for European matches.

What it all means, havenít a clue!

Abmatt 10 July, 2020 07:38
Quote:
Garym
According to the wasps twitter feed, fixtures for rest of this season, announced at 4pm today. Also next seasons European finals confirmed in Marseilles for weekend of May 20th, so they are assuming a normal time frame for European matches.

Just to clarify though, this wasnít on the official wasps twitter feed. Not saying it isnít true but......

Garym 10 July, 2020 08:00
Quote:
Abmatt
Quote:
Garym

Just to clarify though, this wasnít on the official wasps twitter feed. Not saying it isnít true but......

I have also had an email from premiership rugby this morning saying 35 days to go to resumption of the season

Abmatt 10 July, 2020 09:03
I had the same. But we knew that anyway as itís the 15 Aug. What we donít know and need confirming is the actual fixtures to be played and where.
It would be good to have some news as I think the PRLís communications have been quite poor.

BantamWarrior 10 July, 2020 09:05
Today's Times reports that the RFU wants the new season to start with half full grounds (and fans wearing facemasks). That would seem to indicate that the rest of this season will be behind closed doors and next season will start with fans - but limited to about 6,000 at sixways

WorcesterSauce 10 July, 2020 09:09
Thatís great news! Presumably itíll be the same for other sports. May also be trickier with grounds with significant standing areas like Exeter and Gloucester

Abmatt 10 July, 2020 09:11
That is good and makes sense.

Abmatt 10 July, 2020 13:54

Garym 10 July, 2020 15:32
Quote:
Abmatt
Quote:
Garym

And true it was. Glaws on the 15th and then Wasps, Quins and EXter over the next two weeks, other fixtures to be announced.

Interesting situation for LI as they are homeless!

w4rriorz1980 10 July, 2020 16:12
Quote:
Garym
Quote:
Abmatt
Quote:
Garym

And true it was. Glaws on the 15th and then Wasps, Quins and EXter over the next two weeks, other fixtures to be announced.

Interesting situation for LI as they are homeless!
Loftus Road or Twickenham Stoop?

Abmatt 10 July, 2020 16:50
Indeed it was garym.

At least we know when the season is resuming for definite. I just wish someone would make a decision on open/closed doors.

Simba 10 July, 2020 17:23
Just need the BT Sport schedules now, although Iím not expecting much Warriors coverage.

Abmatt 10 July, 2020 17:50
Iíd have to re-read the article but I think the bbc said bt would show every game.

w4rriorz1980 10 July, 2020 18:12
I concur.A few months back it was stated that every Premiership game will be on tv whether that be BT,BBC or otherwise.

Cup games i assume also.

Eats,Shoots And Leaves

Abmatt 10 July, 2020 19:33
To be honest BT have enough channels to show them all, but they never did when it was the normal season.

Faithful_City 11 July, 2020 06:39
That was if all games were being played at a few select venues, I believe it was 4.

Now the games are being played at every ground. It is not the channel capacity thatís the problem but the logistics. They would have to either set up 12 permanent OBís or be able to move and setup within 2/3 days.

I think they will do 2 games ber round which could be 6 games a week.

JP

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/07/2020 06:41 by Faithful_City.

Abmatt 11 July, 2020 08:08
Possibly. But they have camera crews at every ground, with a full compliment at the broadcast match.
Speaking to a friend who is in the industry he says it wouldnít be too hard. Commentators could be located remotely with only a director and cameras at the ground.

Back to attending games, the club answered a question on Instagram yesterday saying details would be out in a couple of weeks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/07/2020 08:10 by Abmatt.

usa warrior 11 July, 2020 10:11
Peter Kelly, on Andrew Easton show yesterday, said that there was a slim chance we could be in attendance on Aug 15th.

Simba 11 July, 2020 11:22
They manage to cover multiple games during the HC weekends so they are able. Just will they?

Faithful_City 11 July, 2020 22:07
Yes but they have at least 7 days to set up.

In this scenario they have to pack up after the program finishes travel to their next location and set up again every 3 days for at least 2 months.

In my manning logic I donít believe they can possibly cover every game, I think they will cover 4 games each round(8 clubs shown)

JP

Garym 12 July, 2020 06:39
Quote:
Faithful_City
Yes but they have at least 7 days to set up.
In this scenario they have to pack up after the program finishes travel to their next location and set up again every 3 days for at least 2 months.

In my manning logic I donít believe they can possibly cover every game, I think they will cover 4 games each round(8 clubs shown)

JP

The full game of every match is on the Aviva site within 48 Hours, so it must be possible, just needs scheduling like the football

Malvern Man 12 July, 2020 08:52
If we are allowed in for any of the games completing the 2019/20 season, will parking permits be valid?

kiddykid 13 July, 2020 16:00
I have heard rumours that for the remaining 19/20 home games that S/t holders will be allowed in (Covid permitting) but you are unlikely to get your normal seat. Our Sixways capacity is approximately 11,500; I think we have about 4,000 S/T holders, so with social distancing that MIGHT be the way we get to see some rugby. This is would happen at all grounds.
Also, I only found out on Saturday ( many of you may have known beforehand) that the 20/21 season is due to start November 21st - again, Covid permitting.
Does anyone know any different?

kiddykid 13 July, 2020 16:36
PS. The 20/21 date was from The Times on Saturday.

Abmatt 13 July, 2020 18:09
I have heard mid Nov from various sources and that is when they are intending to start the lower leagues also.

Sheldon 17 July, 2020 11:48
Seems that we may be OK for the 20/21 season but not the 19/20 season

BantamWarrior 17 July, 2020 12:41
Yes - There are no Rugby games in the pilots being held in August (Cricket, Snooker & Horse Racing) so its almost certain we will see out the rest of this season behind closed doors.

To allow fans next season the rules are:

. Fans must agree to a new code of behaviour that includes not attending if they potentially have symptoms of coronavirus or have been exposed to a person who has tested positive;

. Social distancing must be observed in seating arrangements;

. Crowd management plans should be in place, including the controlled entry and exit of fans and one-way systems;

. Additional hygiene facilities should be installed inside venues, particularly at entrances and exits;

. Screening procedures should be considered at stadia entrances.

The "social distancing" requirement will be interesting. Does that mean that Warriors will be limited all season (or at least until Christmas) to just approx 4,000 fans? If so I'm glad I've got my season ticket.

Fiver 17 July, 2020 13:06
A definite chance for all inventors out there, the beer drinkers face mask.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net